Friendly advice to Maras

-Bob-

I stopped using Transcendence at the start of Arena matches.

It is nice to rush like when there is a Sorc in enemy team and you want to get to him fast so he doesn't manage to place Phase Walk in a good spot, but otherwise its more useful later on when the fight starts and you need to help with defence of the group and also to chase someone.

On the other hand in regs there is no reason not to use a start at spawn.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which screen shot do you want me to link?

The one where you got farmed for 16 deaths, 10 deaths? Or the one where I did 5.1k dps the first time queueing as Mara since 5.0?

10 deaths or 16th deaths are meaningless without context.

Did he die 10 times in a match where his team had no healers & no guard, against a team that had both? Was it a pug team versus a premade on voice chat?

5.1k DPS is meaninless as well without knowing more for that matter. Did you queue with a pocket tank & healer? (aka godmode)

A person that does 3k DPS alone versus heavy focus with no heals put in a better performance than the person who put up 5 and spent the entire match guarded and being pocket healed. It's easy to put up big numbers when a skank tank and healer give you umpteen lives.

Not saying that was the case, just pointing out the problem with e-dick measuring on the forum.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

all four mara :D

/facepalm

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen multiple Mara’s all pop it at once. If I see another Mara, I always try to chat with them to coordinate. But that still doesn’t mean they’ll listen. So it can be a bit of a crap shoot to see what will happen

Using force camo to escape lets you heal up and get time back on cooldowns. Anyone I see who camos at the start I focus and tell my team to focus and then they can't escape to heal up. Force camo in the best case scenario (lots of times) is an extra life, and in the worst case, forces an enemy to have to run to you buying time for your team. In regs it's just a convenience to not have to run back from spawn since death really doesn't have a penalty in most scenarios. In ranked it's absolutely necessary to save camo or you're being a detriment to your team. Anyone who says that using camo at the start is a good thing doesn't know what they're talking about.

Force Camo doesn’t break combat, like stealthing out on Sins or Operatives. You can’t Camo out and heal after because you will still be in combat when you try to hide and heal.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Force Camo doesn’t break combat, like stealhting out on Sins or Operatives. You can’t Camo out and heal after because you will still be in combat when you try to hide and heal.

Wait to leave combat? It'll take a few seconds but is well worth an extra life if nobody seeks you out, and even if they do (more likely that nobody will) it'll take one of them away from the fight too.

TBH I was **** talking Grim because he camo's before entering combat and doesn't have it available when he actually needs it, negating one of the Mara's biggest strengths being able to escape focus.

Hence why he shouldn't give advice on Maras to people.

Grim is a great Mara. He has a very good idea what he is talking about, more than most people on this forum.

Wait to leave combat? It'll take a few seconds but is well worth an extra life if nobody seeks you out, and even if they do (more likely that nobody will) it'll take one of them away from the fight too.

No, the mechanic doesn’t break combat at all. You are still in combat, so you cannot heal. You would need to travel half the length of the map for it to break combat or you have to spend a long time hiding, which is the point Grim was making about staying in combat.

It’s also very easy to see where a Mara has gone if they stealth out, just look at the map.

Taking one away from the fight to finish you off in 5 secs is nothing.

No, the mechanic doesn’t break combat at all. You are still in combat, so you cannot heal. You would need to travel half the length of the map for it to break combat or you have to spend a long time hiding, which is the point Grim was making about staying in combat.

It’s also very easy to see where a Mara has gone if they stealth out, just look at the map.

Taking one away from the fight to finish you off in 5 secs is nothing.

I never said it broke combat, I said wait for combat to end (kinda hard to misread that). The chance to gain a 2nd life can make or break a match in ranked (I said before it's irrelevant how you use camo in regs because there's no heavy punishment for dying). There's no guarantee that you'll be able to heal up, but if you catch someone by surprise by entering with camo then they have no awareness anyways and using camo for a second life would still be better. The only spec that'll take a long time to break combat would be anni, most of the time it's really easy to leave combat as carnage or fury.

I never said it broke combat, I said wait for combat to end (kinda hard to misread that). The chance to gain a 2nd life can make or break a match in ranked (I said before it's irrelevant how you use camo in regs because there's no heavy punishment for dying). There's no guarantee that you'll be able to heal up, but if you catch someone by surprise by entering with camo then they have no awareness anyways and using camo for a second life would still be better. The only spec that'll take a long time to break combat would be anni, most of the time it's really easy to leave combat as carnage or fury.

Ok, I misread that first bit, sorry, But it still comes down to where the fight is in the arena and how much LoS you have about. As well as how your team is doing.

If you have no healer and a strong enough team to hold them, then it’s a worthwhile tactic. I’ve used it myself when it’s close and down to 2v2 and I know my other team mate can hold them while I do it, otherwise it can be detrimental.

Ok, I misread that first bit, sorry, But it still comes down to where the fight is in the arena and how much LoS you have about. As well as how your team is doing.

If you have no healer and a strong enough team to hold them, then it’s a worthwhile tactic. I’ve used it myself when it’s close and down to 2v2 and I know my other team mate can hold them while I do it, otherwise it can be detrimental.

If it's a choice between certain death and possibly staying alive, the correct choice will almost always be possible staying alive. The amount of scenarios where dying and getting off 1-2 more abilities is more worth than not doing those 1-2 abilities and getting away is very small. Even when those scenarios occur, it is better to be able to make the choice to stay or leave than be forced to stay because camo is on cd.

Edited by shyroman

Not that I want to get into the middle of this argument, but I'm just going to throw this out there that there are situations were you can use Force Camo offensively, but this is usually limited to regular WZs.

The only reason I can think of to use Force Camo in the beginning of a battle is if you have the utility point where you get a damage boost when coming out of camo. But that is a poor choice IMO and not worth the utility point investment or the loss of a possible escape later in the match.

And Aeneas_Falco is absolutely right - performance in regs are always skewed. Any intellectually honest PvPer in this game will agree with that. Team's or players that have alot of deaths is not always chalked up to poor play, sometimes the team literally had no healers and the tanks never use guard or taunt, meanwhile the other team has a trinity premade with perhaps better support from the randoms. I've been on both ends of the court, and at the end of the day some matches are just really bad, and no amount of skill, wit or experience is going to make you look good in those matches - which is why most people will leave those matches, to save face (lol).

Edited by DenariusJay

10 deaths or 16th deaths are meaningless without context.

Did he die 10 times in a match where his team had no healers & no guard, against a team that had both? Was it a pug team versus a premade on voice chat?

5.1k DPS is meaninless as well without knowing more for that matter. Did you queue with a pocket tank & healer? (aka godmode)

A person that does 3k DPS alone versus heavy focus with no heals put in a better performance than the person who put up 5 and spent the entire match guarded and being pocket healed. It's easy to put up big numbers when a skank tank and healer give you umpteen lives.

Not saying that was the case, just pointing out the problem with e-dick measuring on the forum.

5.1k dps is pathetic in terms of braggability idk why he's bragging about it. Thats like half of a decent dps rate to brag about nowdays (10k+)

And 10k sets the bar low considering I was doing nearly that in my 208s. And during an arena with only 4 other players to parse against.

Edited by RACATW

5.1k dps is pathetic idk why he's bragging about it. Thats like half of a decent dps rate to brag about nowdays (10k+)

I am playing this game for 2.5 years and I have never seen anyone put up 10k dps on a marauder in regs or ranked wz.

Biggest numbers were in 4k---6.5k and even 7k which was very rare to see.

On other classes I've seen 8k dps on PT skank tank recentl(good job Bioware).

So please stop with this false information to make the other player look bad. Yeah you can do 10k dps on your dummy on your ship. 11k even, but not in warzones unless the enemy if made of static dummies.

Edited by DavidAtkinson

5.1k dps is pathetic in terms of braggability idk why he's bragging about it. Thats like half of a decent dps rate to brag about nowdays (10k+)

And 10k sets the bar low considering I was doing nearly that in my 208s. And during an arena with only 4 other players to parse against.

I'd very much like to see that.

Lol. What a bunch of *********. No mara spec is able to hit 10 k in a wz. Only one I can think of is Anni if the other team is all healers stacking in the AOE. But still never seen that.

You claim to do that when 208 gear was a thing, even more lol to that.

Anyway m9.Long story short, pics or didn't happen (which didn't of course).

I'm a bit skeptical of 10k DPS in a warzone as well. I think the most I've ever seen was 7k or 8k.

The issue with warzones is that in order to put up massive DPS numbers you need to have constant uptime for the entire match, which is very unlikely to happen. While you can have prolonged fights at Voidstar doors or mid at Novare Coast and Alderaan, usually one team gets worn down, dies, and/or shifts its attention to another node. So you're either left with nothing to do at a node that is no longer being challenged or you're forced to run to another one that is being focused, and time spent running is also time spent not DPSing. For bigger maps like Aldeeran or Novare Coast you can spend quite a lot of your playtime moving between nodes.

In order to do 10k DPS you'd probably need two evenly matched parsing dummy teams (heavy on the tanks & heals) that spend an entire match nearly stalemated at mid in Novare Coast or Alderaan. I won't say that is impossible, but it's unlikely enough to happen that 10k DPS is never going to be the standard for when "good" DPS begins.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I'm a bit skeptical of 10k DPS in a warzone as well. I think the most I've ever seen was 7k or 8k.

The issue with warzones is that in order to put up massive DPS numbers you need to have constant uptime for the entire match, which is very unlikely to happen. While you can have prolonged fights at Voidstar doors or mid at Novare Coast and Alderaan, usually one team gets worn down, dies, and/or shifts its attention to another node. So you're either left with nothing to do at a node that is no longer being challenged or you're forced to run to another one that is being focused, and time spent running is also time spent not DPSing. For bigger maps like Aldeeran or Novare Coast you can spend quite a lot of your playtime moving between nodes.

In order to do 10k DPS you'd probably need two evenly matched parsing dummy teams (heavy on the tanks & heals) that spend an entire match nearly stalemated at mid in Novare Coast or Alderaan. I won't say that is impossible, but it's unlikely enough to happen that 10k DPS is never going to be the standard for when "good" DPS begins.

Keep in mind that it is only "combat" time, so getting 10k actually isn't that hard. Have a really bad player come to your node, you and another play with good burst hit him with your autocrits and he dies in 5 seconds, boom! 15k dps.

Now of course, you end the match with 60k total damage, so 15k dps is not that impressive, which is why looking at the whole picture is important, and not just one part.

Edited by LordTurin

Keep in mind that it is only "combat" time, so getting 10k actually isn't that hard. Have a really bad player come to your node, you and another play with good burst hit him with your autocrits and he dies in 5 seconds, boom! 15k dps.

Now of course, you end the match with 60k total damage, so 15k dps is not that impressive, which is why looking at the whole picture is important, and not just one part.

We usually take match DPS values as shown by the tooltip on the scoreboard. And it is calculated as (total damage)/(time spent in the match), not as (total damage)/(total combat time).

Only way I can imagine to do 10k in an arena if the enemy team really stacks up and your team can burst them down really fast with AoE.

But we'll soon get that screenshot and should all be enlightened.

The only reason I can think of to use Force Camo in the beginning of a battle is if you have the utility point where you get a damage boost when coming out of camo. But that is a poor choice IMO and not worth the utility point investment or the loss of a possible escape later in the match.

I'm not talking about the utility, as most Maras don't choose it. There are specific instances where I'll use Camo at the onset of combat, but again, it's situational and typically only in certain WZs. Here's a couple of examples:

On a premade team in Civil War or Yavin, I'm typically leading the team to mid due to Dash. This often makes me the obvious Force Leap/Jet Charge target for the opposing team that's meeting us in mid. Sometimes I can get mine off before they do, but not always due to occasional ping/latency issues. The intention is to try for a quick cap at mid which is accomplished by Force Leaping to their lead attacker, Intimidating Roar their group that went to mid, Force Choke that one person that CC breaks it or someone who's lagging behind their main group, followed up with a seismic grenade so that someone on my team is able to cap behind me. If my latency looks questionable, I'll use Force Camo when I get to mid so that they can't leap to me before I leap to them to do all of this. You'd be surprised at how often this works.

The other situation where I'll use Force Camo offensively is when I'm approaching a node defended by a ranged class. Again, due to latency, a ranged class may hit me before I can get off Force Leap (especially Snipers who you can't Force Leap to most times), at which point I can be snared or slowed and start taking damage before I even get in melee range of them. Force Camo allows me to get within melee range to challenge the node defender, and also saves Predation for when they start trying to kite me.

If I need to use Camo defensively, it's almost always back up by the time I need to use it. When I do use it defensively, I'm either using it to give my healer a chance to get some heals to me before I'm dead, or if I don't have a healer, to sneak over to a health boost, or to break targeting if I'm about to get hit by a channeled ability that hits hard. Of course, YMMV, but I've been very successful in regular WZs when I've used Force Camo offensively in these situations. In Ranked, I use Camo almost exclusively defensively.

Edited by Mournblood

I am playing this game for 2.5 years and I have never seen anyone put up 10k dps on a marauder in regs or ranked wz.

Biggest numbers were in 4k---6.5k and even 7k which was very rare to see.

On other classes I've seen 8k dps on PT skank tank recentl(good job Bioware).

So please stop with this false information to make the other player look bad. Yeah you can do 10k dps on your dummy on your ship. 11k even, but not in warzones unless the enemy if made of static dummies.

You should join the discord Im in they always post ridiculous dps/hps or damage taken. Then and again I dont really know better players on this server.

208s (9.75)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/294577269165522954/298210565564792834/random.jpg

Average decent post (9.8k)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374234134467444736/374685902485585920/wxseOUu.png

High end range (14k dps)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374234134467444736/374601987670540288/14.5klightning.png

The point is if youre going to brag about dps it should at least be higher than 5k. Otherwise whats the point. Anyone can do that by chasing a healer around and not quite killing them.

Theres other 9k-10k ones I didnt bother posting where their gear wasnt quite 248s but you get the idea.

Apparently when numbers farming one of them hit 17k dps. Dunno how far Id have to scroll to see it though.

Edited by RACATW