Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I believe he's saying the opposite, that one can have an 'SGRA' with, say, Vector by playing a pre-op F-to-M transgendered person (ie. playing a female PC but stating they're male via identity). Though I may be wrong.

I don't know enough about pre-transitioning relationships to be able to talk much about it from that point of view, but surely the PC in that relationship would take issue with the female-based assumptions of the relationship (I assume said PC is out in this scenario, which would then make it an SGRA, but like I said, I'm not knowledgeable of the particulars.)

That being said, I would not say that that is a reasonable scenario to assume from the game as it stands, as the unspoken assumption seems to be that everyone is cis.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That being said, I would not say that that is a reasonable scenario to assume from the game as it stands, as the unspoken assumption seems to be that everyone is cis.

It's certainly written as if all the PCs are cisgendered (which one of my own characters would take extremely violent exception to, but that's another matter). Either way I think SK's original comment doesn't add anything particularly useful to the discussion. A curious philosophical point, perhaps, but this thread isn't about discussing the philosophy or psychology of identity vs biology, it's to discuss the implementation of SGRs into the existing game.

And as sad as it is to say I think transgendered people are going to remain unrepresented in terms of PCs. I'd love to see at least a few openly transgendered NPCs in neutral locations (such as Nar Shaddaa) but for PCs I think the only option will remain to make any transgendered people firmly post-op (making a male character for a transmale and a female for transfemale).

To add to that it still leaves a gap in sexuality which full SGRAs are needed to fill. I have a very dear friend who's a transmale - a gay transmale. He's only interested in other guys. One couldn't play a character similar to him in SWTOR. Making a male character (a slim, short male character) is a possibility but not a slim short openly gay male character.

SGRAs - full SGRAs - are the right way to go.

SK's attempts to play devil's advocate or "voice of anything for the sake of it" always seem to fall flat and only encourage arguments. The game itself is hetero- and cis-centric, no amount of hand-waving is going to change that.

And I'm under no illusions that this game will ever support (whether mechanically or not) trans* PCs, but I do hope that the CS team is at least discussing the idea with people, even if not in an official manner, or that someone is taking notice, and that the support come sin future games and becomes persistent. People are using the LGBT acronym when referring to us, but they don't seem to grasp what the 'T' stands for.

Thinking about what other posters have said, we have SGR in the game.

If they truely believe gender is a state of mind, all one has to do is say their character identifies as a male or female (opposite of their choosen avatar) and thus SGR romances have been achieved.

Mind you, this only works for those who truely believe that mental gender is ones true gender, as quite a few seem to believe, as they were adamantly oppossed to anyone who didn't believe it, it makes one wonder why they didn't go that route.

What gender you identify as is in fact not constricted by your parts. The differences between the male and female player characters aren't that extreme, aside from who you can date. For someone who's perfectly happy in a male body while identifying as a woman (or visa versa) what you describe could be a valid option. In fact, I would be surprised if there isn't anyone playing the game in that manner.

Still, the relationships I've seen in this game tend to lean on traditional gender roles. The game doesn't play with gender much, but the main place it does so is in the relationships. You can't exactly express yourself as identifying as the other gender. You may as well be playing as "in the closet" so to speak.

Further, just because someone was born with a sex they don't identify with, and they either don't want to or cannot go through gender reassignment surgery, doesn't mean they still want to be restricted to the male form in their fantasy time. In real life, gender reassignment has come a long way, but it's still a difficult process with shortcomings. In a video game, all you have to do is pick the other sex. Suggesting someone who would rather choose one sex remain "trapped" in the other form by the limited options of the game, on the premise that it's something they already do in real life, isn't very sympathetic.

Yes, when I play my male Sith Warrior because I'm tired of waiting for SGRAs to see Jaesa's romance arc, I'll be wishing the entire time I could do it as a female. I could project that onto my character, but why would I want to? If I mentally assign this trait to his character, it's something he can never express. That would make it something that, by the necessity of the game, he would be hiding from his love interest. (Unless I also head-canon that he had a talk with her about it.)

In other words, yea I can play a gender swapped character, but only one that's in a pretty depressing position. On the other hand, I suppose that could explain why my SW is such a giant SoB. But just because I can twist it around in my head to make sense, doesn't mean it's fun.

"Just pretend it's not a problem," is never a good answer. It'd be like telling people who want better space combat to just pretend they're playing an off the rails 3D space shooter, but the way the game is taking them is the way they wanted to go anyway.

SK's attempts to play devil's advocate or "voice of anything for the sake of it" always seem to fall flat and only encourage arguments. The game itself is hetero- and cis-centric, no amount of hand-waving is going to change that.

True enough, but once you realize SK does like to play devil's advocate, it's not so bad. You can certainly argue, probably successfully, that this isn't the place for that. Still, devil's advocate arguments are a good thing. You should be able to defend your position and I have no problem addressing a devil's advocate argument.

Both forming your own devil's advocate arguments, and arguing against them, are good ways to get a better handle on the subject you're discussing. It's easy to understand something instinctively without having a critical grasp on it. The best ways to shape a critical understanding of a subject (in order, in my opinion) are: 1. Debating against someone who disagrees 2. Debating against someone who pretends to disagree (devil's advocate) and 3. Forming your own devil's advocate argument.

Of course, I love to debate, discuss and to some extent, argue. Also, as I said, you wouldn't be wrong to say this isn't the place for that.

And I'm under no illusions that this game will ever support (whether mechanically or not) trans* PCs, but I do hope that the CS team is at least discussing the idea with people, even if not in an official manner, or that someone is taking notice, and that the support come sin future games and becomes persistent. People are using the LGBT acronym when referring to us, but they don't seem to grasp what the 'T' stands for.

Baby steps, unfortunately. People find gender a difficult concept to wrap their heads around. Hundreds or thousands of years of traditions will do that. Those of us further off the beaten path need to wait for people to understand the basics first.

It'd just be nice to see those baby steps get taken. Having to wait this long for this little on the front of SGRs is disappointing. Seeing how people react to people who want SGRAs, or to men who enjoy a TV show aimed at little girls, or to people who speak out against the constant damseling of female characters? That's downright disheartening.

I'm sorry, did you just say that if one character is a transwoman and is made with the female body in this game, and she romances Vector, that because she was born and assigned male at birth, that she is in fact having a gay relationship with Vector?

Because if you are, you are wrong on so many, many levels, it's disgusting.

Nope. Didn't say that at all. What I said was you take the female avatar, say she considers herself male (as it's been stated in this thread by many that mental gender is just as important if not more so) and so it is now a male with a male with any romance option available in game.

Where did I ever mention surgery? o.O When has one considering themself the opposite gender than they were born, meant they had to get or even wanted to get surgery?

And why is it, when people pushing for SGR aren't pushing for transgender or poly relationships. Why is it, those pushing for SGR have said "Sure, wouldn't be bad, but not worth pushing for that as it'll just be a waste of time and money." when it's just as valid and being totally overlooked?

It's certainly written as if all the PCs are cisgendered (which one of my own characters would take extremely violent exception to, but that's another matter). Either way I think SK's original comment doesn't add anything particularly useful to the discussion. A curious philosophical point, perhaps, but this thread isn't about discussing the philosophy or psychology of identity vs biology, it's to discuss the implementation of SGRs into the existing game.

And as sad as it is to say I think transgendered people are going to remain unrepresented in terms of PCs. I'd love to see at least a few openly transgendered NPCs in neutral locations (such as Nar Shaddaa) but for PCs I think the only option will remain to make any transgendered people firmly post-op (making a male character for a transmale and a female for transfemale).

To add to that it still leaves a gap in sexuality which full SGRAs are needed to fill. I have a very dear friend who's a transmale - a gay transmale. He's only interested in other guys. One couldn't play a character similar to him in SWTOR. Making a male character (a slim, short male character) is a possibility but not a slim short openly gay male character.

Actually, my comment was about how it could be in game now, and thusly implementing it into the game.

As to how the companions refer to the PC, easily explained away that it isn't untill after the romance arc, that the companion has come to accept it fully, in that there's nothing more after it. You complete the arc, nothing more happens.

Actually, my comment was about how it could be in game now, and thusly implementing it into the game.

No, your comment was about how to take one possible context into account while not implementing anything new into the game at all. Implementing into one's play-style is not the same thing as implementing into the game.

No, your comment was about how to take one possible context into account while not implementing anything new into the game at all. Implementing into one's play-style is not the same thing as implementing into the game.

Okay, my idea does just require one to use their imagination in an RPG. But we also know SGR is being implemented into TOR with 2.0, sooo, what more is to be discussed on how to implement something that's being implemented?

And why is it, when people pushing for SGR aren't pushing for transgender or poly relationships. Why is it, those pushing for SGR have said "Sure, wouldn't be bad, but not worth pushing for that as it'll just be a waste of time and money." when it's just as valid and being totally overlooked?

Trans* individuals have been discussed. We have discussed it and said that implementing it properly would require an over-haul of the character creation system and a nuanced understanding of gender identity and expression, as well as the definition of gender roles, gender stereotypes and and gender expression in the Star Wars beyond what has been detailed now, with regards to human and non-human species. Not to mention the requirement then to have three sexes for human and near-humans, before the addition of the gender spectrum, then expression and then preferred pro-nouns. That would require re-recording dialogue that exists in the game as well as making new ones.

We have discussed trans* representation in this game and others. I outlined a way of adding non-binary gender and sex into character creation in the previous thread. You simply did not read those posts.

As to ploy relationships, those have previously only been mentioned by dissenters of SGRAs, and thus I do not believe Bioware takes those proposals seriously, even if those of us in this thread do.

Do not assume that because we find the cost of over-hauling character creation, and re-recording dialogue to recognize trans* and non-binary individuals in this game, prohibitive that we are in some way transphobic.

Trans* people SHOULD be represented in SWTOR. It would be preferable if trans* individuals could be PCs, but I doubt Bioware currently have the resources to support that or implement in a sensitive way. It is far more likely that trans* people in SWTOR will be NPCs and that will STILL be better representation than is current in pretty much all mainstream games ever.

So don't you dare say that because we have discussed this and you have found the results unsatisfactory, that we are somehow hateful.

Trans* individuals have been discussed. We have discussed it and said that implementing it properly would require an over-haul of the character creation system and a nuanced understanding of gender identity and expression, as well as the definition of gender roles, gender stereotypes and and gender expression in the Star Wars beyond what has been detailed now, with regards to human and non-human species. Not to mention the requirement then to have three sexes for human and near-humans, before the addition of the gender spectrum, then expression and then preferred pro-nouns. That would require re-recording dialogue that exists in the game as well as making new ones.

We have discussed trans* representation in this game and others. I outlined a way of adding non-binary gender and sex into character creation in the previous thread. You simply did not read those posts.

As to ploy relationships, those have previously only been mentioned by dissenters of SGRAs, and thus I do not believe Bioware takes those proposals seriously, even if those of us in this thread do.

Do not assume that because we find the cost of over-hauling character creation, and re-recording dialogue to recognize trans* and non-binary individuals in this game, prohibitive that we are in some way transphobic.

Trans* people SHOULD be represented in SWTOR. It would be preferable if trans* individuals could be PCs, but I doubt Bioware currently have the resources to support that or implement in a sensitive way. It is far more likely that trans* people in SWTOR will be NPCs and that will STILL be better representation than is current in pretty much all mainstream games ever.

So don't you dare say that because we have discussed this and you have found the results unsatisfactory, that we are somehow hateful.

I actually never once said hateful. That's you saying that.

What I said is "The waste of money" arguement is being used. If we're going for making everything equal, why not push for it? Why use the baby steps? Why not just go all out on it? Just go for the overhaul and see where the pieces land?

Okay, my idea does just require one to use their imagination in an RPG. But we also know SGR is being implemented into TOR with 2.0, sooo, what more is to be discussed on how to implement something that's being implemented?

If you believe there's nothing more to be discussed then feel free to find a thread that interests you more.

Edited by Kioma

all this talk made me want to throw in my 2 cents! first off,

I am absolutely in favor of same gender romance being implemented.

However I do have one question for those of you discussing the whole transgender issue. keep in mind this question may seem offensive but I am only asking out of genuine curiosity!

Doesn't having a sex change sort of defeat the purpose of a same gender romance?

I mean from my perspective, what makes the idea of a gay/lesbian relationship so appealing is the fact that they are the SAME GENDER!

if I roll say, I post op lady inquisitor, then I may as well have ran a born female! Why? because the end result is the same... a man and a woman. together.... as in a story I have already completed.

it just ends up... lacking.

If you believe there's nothing more to be discussed then feel free to find a thread that interests you more.

Awwww...Kioma, this thread does interrest me, you know, when it stays on TOR and SGR and doesn't for some reason move on to Dragon Age, which I've yet to see how DA has anything to do with TOR.

I just want to quickly address this from the point of view of a writer/world builder, and maybe a little bit of a devil's advocate.

The technology level of the Star Wars universe should really render this as a moot point. A surgery to change genders, or even to the level of full DNA modification, should well and truly be possible - and it would be far far better than any GRS available in 2013 Earth. The player merely has to imagine that their character was born a different sex. (Sure, it'd be nice to be able to be open about it, and be able to mention it in the game somewhere, maybe in a conversation to an LI, but I don't think we really need to go into a more nuanced set of character models, when GRS surgery in the Star Wars universe is probably pretty close to perfect.)

Disclaimer: I have the deepest respect for transgender, bigender, agender, and intersex individuals, and I have no problems at all with their desire for representation, which they should absolutely get! I will be dancing on the streets the day I get to see a game where it is possible to create a T character (and those other gender identities that don't get mentioned all that often).

As a somewhat poly person myself, I would certainly embrace the (positive) representation of poly people in SWTOR. I am sure I'm not the only one.

However, with current computers and storage, representing every little nuance of human sexuality is pretty much nigh on impossible. Where do we draw the line? Because really, until computers are more advanced (faster to load with greater storage), perhaps the fairest way to deal with sexuality is to - not deal with it at all. Perhaps the fairest way of all is simply to eliminate romances as an option all together.

The technology level of the Star Wars universe should really render this as a moot point. A surgery to change genders, or even to the level of full DNA modification, should well and truly be possible - and it would be far far better than any GRS available in 2013 Earth.

Full DNA modification might be a bit of a technological stretch to be able to apply 'should well and truly be possible' to, but your point is well made in regards to GRS. No matter what we think of GRS it'd be considerably more advanced in any Star Wars age.

As a somewhat poly person myself, I would certainly embrace the (positive) representation of poly people in SWTOR. I am sure I'm not the only one.

Yep. I'm another one. But it won't happen. The relationship systems we've seen modelled in this and every similar game have hinged upon the PC either having only one choice or having to choose one option between a restricted number of choices. Heck, even The Sims 3 doesn't have any real capacity for polyamory (though there's a 'No Jealousy' lifetime reward and if you set the whole household up with that then none of them ever experience jealousy from each other).

It could happen. It's possible. A player made a polyamory patch for DAO and even pick and chose existing dialogue lines that made sense for conversations about jealousy and overcoming it. It was absolutely artfully done. But it won't happen because resources are stretched as it is and polyamory is still too hot-button a topic to get a look-in. Even more so, I'd argue, than SGRAs.

However, with current computers and storage, representing every little nuance of human sexuality is pretty much nigh on impossible. Where do we draw the line? Because really, until computers are more advanced (faster to load with greater storage), perhaps the fairest way to deal with sexuality is to - not deal with it at all. Perhaps the fairest way of all is simply to eliminate romances as an option all together.

The fairest way of dealing with all options is to not have a game at all, though. What fun would that be? Romances are in the game and are a pretty emotive part of it (if they weren't then people wouldn't get so upset about them). It's not like we as players actually have a say in how they're dealt with but I'd say the best option would be to put in SGRAs and then work on introducing other elements bit by bit.

I am pretending that my Fem!Agent and Kaliyo have a friends with benefits type of relationship (Complete mission, have sex, mention of not one word, and things go back to normal) as well as my Trooper missing her Cyborg spouse/life partner (my agent) way too much for romance.

helps me sleep.

Edited by stormdrakelord

There is actually Star Wars lore supporting Poly relationships. The Cerean race (Like Jedi Master Ki-Adi-Mundi) apparently has a vastly higher birth rate for females in comparison to males. Due to this, it's typical for a male to take multiple wives in order to up the chances of the birth of a boy. Ki-Adi-Mundi was one of the few to receive a special exemption from the anti-marriage customs of the Jedi.

I'm not familiar with modern poly lifestyle, so I don't know how well that fits. Personally I think it would be kinda cool to see a relationship that subverts the typical idea of Poly relationships that I'm normally exposed to, and consists of a wife and multiple husbands, or a mix of multiple of each gender.

Personally, I wish this game played with culture a lot more than it does. I know Star Wars is no Star Trek when it comes to different cultures and society structures, but I feel like it has a lot more to offer than we are exposed to. All we get to see is traditional societies and cultures. Things get a little playful on Voss, but not much.

I have no idea why SGRAs wouldn't have been in from the start. I also have no idea why we wouldn't go to worlds with vastly different cultures. Maybe pay a visit to the Cerean planet and see the Poly societal structure. Who doesn't want to set down on Kashyyk and see the arboreal tribes of Wookies? Why shouldn't we land on a planet where the local sentient species can change gender/sex at will?

BioWare could have made this universe incredibly diverse from the outset. Unfortunately they didn't. So now that they've built a strictly traditional universe, we have to push for breaks from tradition. Since I don't expect that we'll be getting a diversification expansion that adds in all the stuff they missed when first crafting the game, it makes sense to push first for the basics.

The fairest way of dealing with all options is to not have a game at all, though. What fun would that be? Romances are in the game and are a pretty emotive part of it (if they weren't then people wouldn't get so upset about them). It's not like we as players actually have a say in how they're dealt with but I'd say the best option would be to put in SGRAs and then work on introducing other elements bit by bit.

Now see, when people made that suggestion to just get rid of them all, they were called what again?

Why do all the rest bit by bit? If BW/EA had said "We're going to slowly start adding in SGR with companions, bit by bit, starting with F/F first untill all F/F are covered, because that's most likely to be the more popular option amongst players" the bit by bit way of it, would have had a few people upset. We wouldn't being hearing "YAY! SGR Companions!" well we would, but you'd have the complaints about it and they'd be vocal.

Full DNA modification might be a bit of a technological stretch to be able to apply 'should well and truly be possible' to, but your point is well made in regards to GRS. No matter what we think of GRS it'd be considerably more advanced in any Star Wars age.

I was thinking about GRS this morning and, while I don't think DNA manipulation would be possible, a far more comprehensive FtM and MtF set of surgeries are (to me) likely already existent in the Star Wars Universe, to the point where an MtF could carry a child if she wished or an FtM could father one in the traditional manner.

My talk about gender stereotypes and gender expression was more because the game seems to represent them in a very... contemporary Earth manner, rather than having demonstrations of non-binary and non-Western peoples and persons.

I know my Warrior would have been very annoyed, maybe even angry, at Quinn's remarks of her needing confinement due to pregnancy, but the game dialogue seems to assume that that is the goal of every female character entering a relationship with a male NPC.

I wonder if the devs are going to have some NPCs that reject you if you try to romance if they are of the same gender? That would make things interesting.

As that does not happen for Opposite Gender [Flirt]ing, I find it unlikely. Until they start treating all [Flirt]s equally, this game is a dream fantasy where a wink and a nudge lead to a magical, fairy tale romance.

I was thinking about GRS this morning and, while I don't think DNA manipulation would be possible, a far more comprehensive FtM and MtF set of surgeries are (to me) likely already existent in the Star Wars Universe, to the point where an MtF could carry a child if she wished or an FtM could father one in the traditional manner.

My talk about gender stereotypes and gender expression was more because the game seems to represent them in a very... contemporary Earth manner, rather than having demonstrations of non-binary and non-Western peoples and persons.

I know my Warrior would have been very annoyed, maybe even angry, at Quinn's remarks of her needing confinement due to pregnancy, but the game dialogue seems to assume that that is the goal of every female character entering a relationship with a male NPC.

As that does not happen for Opposite Gender [Flirt]ing, I find it unlikely. Until they start treating all [Flirt]s equally, this game is a dream fantasy where a wink and a nudge lead to a magical, fairy tale romance.

So why no wink and a nudge on the full DNA manipulation? :p We have clones. We have cybernetics.

And it's contemporary Earth manner, because that's what the audience understands. That's just common sense. And please note, by audience, I don't mean there aren't others who can see it differently, it just means the masses (and it's sad that I have to make that note).

Now see, when people made that suggestion to just get rid of them all, they were called what again?

Do you know, I have the feeling you're insinuating something here but you haven't made it particularly clear.

Why do all the rest bit by bit?

Because, as Slaign and others have pointed out, resources are not such that the whole lot could be put in all at once. It's ridiculous to assume they could do that. We should certainly have seen OGRAs and SGRAs in at launch but we didn't. I'd love to see polyamorous options implemented but the majority of the classes don't even have two options for both genders to choose between; for my JK it was Doc or nobody. It'd be great if transfolk were represented fairly but from what we've seen of how they've dealt with SGRAs (and, many would argue, OGRAs) it's unlikely we'll even see transgendered NPCs, let alone companion or PC options for the same.

We know (or at least suspect with reasonable certainty) that the writing team, PvP team, PvE team etc are, in fact, different teams so there might not be much (if any) resource conflict in the sense of people working on their respective areas. But I'm willing to bet that the writing team has a very specific restriction in terms of money, and there's no doubt that the finances of the game are tied to subscriptions and micro-transactions through the Cartel Shop. By its very nature the available money BW:A will have access to is both finite and available at a restricted rate.

Bit by bit, baby steps, is the only way it's feasible to realistically implement these features. They have the money for part of it, they work on it and put it in. They get the money for the next part, they work on that and put it in. And all the while the teams have to talk to the finance guys to convince them that their department needs more money.

I'm not sure how I can make that point more clear.

We already have gene therapy on Earth (which is pretty much the manipulation of DNA), in a fantasy universe like Star Wars I don't really think it's all that far fetched.

I think the limited nature of representation in the game has more to do with the limitations of the game engine than a conscious choice to exclude anyone. If you add more body type models (say a more androgynous model for both sexes, and a more masculine one for females, and a more feminine one for males - so four more models in total), you then have to make sure that each set of armour in the game fits those as well, which results in gear graphics taking more time to produce, therefore more money, and also causing the game take to up more space, the databases to do more work when loading large numbers of people, etc.

As for characterisation, particularly with regards to gender identity - in order to allow a range of reactions, a certain number of vocal tracks need to be recorded. The greater the range of reactions, the more vocal tracks are required, the bigger the game becomes, the longer it takes to get content out, and the more money the voice talent needs to be paid. There are practical considerations which limit exactly how inclusive the game can be.

So in the end, they have to draw the line somewhere. The line in this game is drawn at pretty standard models and characterisation. (And to be fair, some of the body types could quite easily work for non-standard gender expression female BT 3 (the tallest one), and male BT 1 (the skinniest and smallest) for example.)

Fortunately, my SW wouldn't romance Quinn at all. She's just not interested, so she'd never come across that conversation. But if she were, I think she'd throw him out the airlock for making such a stupid suggestion. Sadly, the game does not let us have that reaction.

As for reproduction seeming to be the goal for F!PC/M!NPC relationships - how disappointing. As a childfree woman, it often annoys me to see motherhood put up on such a pedestal (as if it's the end goal of all women), because it inevitably places childfree or childless people (and there is a distinct difference between the two states) as being less valuable/less human. I'd personally love to see the inclusion of childfree as a choice for PCs of all genders (or even *gasp* NPCs!) in romances, but I doubt I'll ever see it.

*sigh* I saw this but....I dunno.

4. Makeb is the first planet in SWTOR where players can experience same sex romance options in the storyline. Can we expect to see more of this in future stories or as modifications in existing storylines?

Brian: While adding same sex romance options to existing storylines is a bit difficult, we absolutely plan to add more same sex romance options to future story content. What you’ll see in Rise of the Hutt Cartel is just the beginning.

I feel like it's more PR spin. I don't have faith in EA anymore.

http://dulfy.net/2013/03/25/swtor-rise-of-the-hutt-cartel-interview-with-bioware-developer-brian-audette/

Edited by DarkTrooperV