Combat Log Parser Round-Up & Instructions

Zoopercat

Combat Log Round-Up & Instructions

Hey everyone, it's Zoopercat from Ask Mr. Robot. I wanted to share a round-up of all of the combat log parsers, since so many people worked so hard on making tools for the rest of the community to use. I also figure this thread would be a nice way to ask questions and request features, that way, all of the combat log authors can see what users want, and everyone can make better tools with the same feedback.

Keep in mind, these parsers have had limited testing, so if you find a bug, feel free to report it. It’s helpful if you can provide a link to your log as well.

How to use combat logging:

1. Open "Preferences" in your game (screenshot)
  2. Go to the "Combat Logging" tab (screenshot)
  3. Check the box that says "Enable Combat Logging," then click the "Apply" button
  4. Pro Tip: You can uncheck & recheck that box right before an operation (or flashpoint) to start a fresh log file :)
  5. To find your combat log, go to the "My Documents" folder on your desktop, open the "Star Wars - The Old Republic" folder. Then open the folder titled, "Combat Logs." Pro tip: sort by date, and grab the most recent one.

View the Feature Chart here, which takes the info from this thread and lists it in a feature comparison chart. I was looking for several features as a user, and checked up on all of the parsers yesterday to get the latest features and screenshots.

• Accurate: I tested the log with a Black Talon run, and a log from Zorn and Toth. I compared results and gave an accurate rating if the log was within 1% of the actual DPS (total damage / length of fight). If you need a sample log, you can use my Black Talon run at level 16. Zoopercat PST and Erlking EST
  • Share Log: can I get a permalink to share the report results with a friend or guild mate?
  • Merge Logs: can logs from various group members be uploaded and merged together to show overall boss fight numbers?

Web Based Combat Log Parsers:

Ask Mr. Robot

TorParse - Relaunched!

Frying Time:

• Author: Aldoria
  • Accurate: Yes
  • Share Logs: Yes
  • Merge Logs: No
  • Other Notes: Nice, clean fight lists. Also has a death log to show you what happened right before you died, in human-readable-color-coded text.
  • Screenshot

WildKing:

Not The Guild:

• Author: Cymricus
  • Accurate: Yes (number will look higher than other tools, because it calculates DPS only while actively casting)
  • Share Logs: No
  • Merge Logs: Yes (upload them all as a zip file)
  • Screenshot

TorTools:

• Author: WavirNabi
  • Accurate:Yes (author recently updated it)
  • Share Logs: Yes (added in late April)
  • Merge Logs: Yes (create a raid group)
  • Other Notes: Shows death logs. Thread on Forums
  • Screenshot

Black Sheep Troopers:

• Author: Bladrak
  • Accurate: DPS was 5-10% too high, but some of my logs wouldn’t upload. So it’s possible some raid logs are more accurate. Bladrak is currently looking into this (4/15)
  • Share Logs: Yes
  • Merge Logs: Yes (share through the guild panel)
  • Other Notes: Requires login, thread on forums
  • Screenshot

CLP

DPS Meter by Tenacity

• Author: Beardchef (Fwny and Freddie)
  • Share logs: Yes
  • Merge Logs: Yes
  • Other Notes: This is not a live dps meter like MOX, it's a web parser with a very nice interface.
  • Screenshot

Non Web-Based Combat Log Parsers

NEW! Live Raid Damage Meter: SWMoniTOR (plus web-based upload option)

Live Raid Damage Meter: MOX:

• Author: Ginnai
  • Share Logs: You can look at your raid’s logs by entering your raid ID on the website. You cannot share individual logs that you upload. (This author responds very fast to user requests, so if you’d like that feature, let him know)
  • Merge Logs: Yes (if you use the damage meter, it merges based on the raid ID)
  • Other Notes: Includes overlay windows to use while in-game. Watch a Video in Action

Robust Reporting Tool, SCLR:

TORMeter

Other Tools

ACT Plugin:

CSS Template for Coloring Combat Text:

Non-English Tools:

Web-Based Combat Log Parser, Betalyzer (German):

• Author: Marduc, on MMO-Mechanics
  • Share Logs: No
  • Merge Logs: No
  • Other Notes: Just released an english version. Login as demouser, click 'optionen' in upper right. Choose 'english' in the drop down menu.
  • Screenshot

Communidad Swtor (Spanish)

More info coming soon.

If I am missing anyone's combat log parser, let me know!! Also, as features get added in, post a reply and I'll update the original post :)

Edited by Zoopercat
Updated WildKing, added CLP Parser

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you are the author of TorMeter? I can hit up Zoop and have her add the information to the original post.

Well, I suspect someone else might have developed something with the same name as I, but yes; I've coded the one I linked.

Would love to get it on the list. It's a nice thing to have if you just want a quick analysis of your own performance.

Thanks for doing this, Zoopercat! It's nice to have a single place to discuss features for all of the parsers.

However, there may be some value in noting the latest threads for each parser so that people can file bug reports against specific parsers, and so developers don't have to comb through this entire thread looking for bugs specifically meant for them. I'm not talking about the old threads on the PTS forum, as the forum is closed now. What I mean is the new threads started by the authors themselves since Patch 1.2.

There's only a few so far, but I expect more parser authors will create threads in the next day or so. If those links don't find their way here, I'll post updates.

WildKing

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=403536

TorTools

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=394721

TORmeter

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=399162

Black Sheep Troopers

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401851

Edited by JonathanDark

JonathanDark, good idea! I updated the OP and will keep an eye out for more threads.

Hunkberget, I have your tool added as 'the other TORmeter' - if you want a different title let me know ;) Also, I haven't had a chance to check out your tool, so if you can tell me if you have the following features, I'll fill it in: merge logs, share logs, anything else of note?

The original posted TorMeter is actually mine as well, so you can just remove it. The link was dead, so didn't notice it linked to mmonorge.no, a community where I posted an early version.

The reason I didn't think it was mine was that I intentionally kept it away from the swtor.com forums until now.

So pretty please just clean up my mess! ^^

Thanks alot for doing the compilation dude, awezome job!

Great job putting this information together. Found out a couple new ones to play with. Unfortunately none of the parsers have SWTOR unique features yet =( Will keep an eye on this topic, thanks again!
What SWTOR-unique features would you be looking for?

Some of my guildies just are doing something like half the DPS their gear should allow them to do, and we have no way to tell why. I suspect that they are not activating a new ability right away when the global cooldown comes up. Is there a log parser that will sort out things like that and give helpful advice?

Some of my guildies just are doing something like half the DPS their gear should allow them to do, and we have no way to tell why. I suspect that they are not activating a new ability right away when the global cooldown comes up. Is there a log parser that will sort out things like that and give helpful advice?

Have them turn off their TV. Truthfully.

What SWTOR-unique features would you be looking for?

From the top of my head:

1. Skill Damage-per-Power (aka Force aka Heat aka Rage..) analysis

2. Power meter (spend / regen) and skill chain analysis (i.e. how densely the skills are used) - basically rotation efficiency

3. Tank incoming miss / dodge / deflect / parry / hits / crits analysis

4. Absorbed damage handling

5. Class-specific skill presentation (e.g. Shadow Telekinetic Throw heal / channel shows up as "Crushed" which is similar to Mind Crush DoT "Crushed (Force)" and Force Technique Force Breach DoT "Crushed (Force)")

6. Dmg grouping by type (energy / kinetic / internal / elemental)

7. Option to display all hits / regular only / crit only

That's for tank and dps only, I'm sure heals have lots of things to request too.

Some of these are cool ideas. I'll give you my thoughts on them below. Thanks for providing feedback, btw.

From the top of my head:

1. Skill Damage-per-Power (aka Force aka Heat aka Rage..) analysis

Interesting idea. I'm a little confused, but I think you are looking for efficiency in using skills here?

2. Power meter (spend / regen) and skill chain analysis (i.e. how densely the skills are used) - basically rotation efficiency

I like this idea, and it's definitely a possibility.

3. Tank incoming miss / dodge / deflect / parry / hits / crits analysis

My site shows these exact stats for incoming damage.

4. Absorbed damage handling

This is something that may not happen because of the way the logs are set up. When someone absorbs damage, it just shows (xxx absorbed) at the end of the line in the parse. It provides no information on how it was absorbed or who provided the absorption buff. The only way this would be possible to track was in a raid setting where there was only one person casting absorb buffs.

5. Class-specific skill presentation (e.g. Shadow Telekinetic Throw heal / channel shows up as "Crushed" which is similar to Mind Crush DoT "Crushed (Force)" and Force Technique Force Breach DoT "Crushed (Force)")

I think you are saying that some skills are not showing correctly in the parsers? Like not giving credit to the proper spell when the dot damage has a different name? If so, then you're correct, this is something I want to do, but have not gotten to it yet.

6. Dmg grouping by type (energy / kinetic / internal / elemental)

Maybe I just don't really see the value in this? But, it is certainly a parseable stat and I've seen one parser that shows it... I think it was the bitbucket one, can't remember sorry.

7. Option to display all hits / regular only / crit only

For the most part, this is already implemented on my site also, albeit just as text based parsing, nothing graphical.

That's for tank and dps only, I'm sure heals have lots of things to request too.

Hey, great info here guys. For the question regarding a player doing less damage than they should with their gear...

One of the features we want to add in to Mr. Robot's parser, is linking a players gear, skill tree, and stats to the logs. Since players can build a profile in the character builder, why not link them, AMIRITE? (see Zoopercat as an example)

In fact, a little known secret: we have an API for character information, so anyone can do it really :)

Regarding my OP: I want to add a link for any FAQs and guides people have for each parser. So if you spot any, post then and I'll add it in.

Edited by Zoopercat

Some of these are cool ideas. I'll give you my thoughts on them below. Thanks for providing feedback, btw.

Yes, personally I put TORParse above any other web-based parsers for these little usefulnesses =) For the record, we use MOX raid-wide, I use ACT standalone but it has several issues and never is going to become SWTOR-oriented enough, so for better analysis I go to TORParse. Tanking and healing are better served there I think, plus I really like the flexibility to select various time ranges. Not that my opinion mattered much anyway.

Damage vs. power spent is a type of analysis that is supposed to show how much damage each point spent to use a particular skill brought. I'd say this type of analysis becomes crucial when optimizing the build and skill rotation considering power regen. One complication is that all classes have different mechanics for the resource.

Regarding class-specific skill names, like I posted Ops Dummy parse earlier today for the Balance Shadow - same on TORParse and AskMrRobot:

http://www.torparse.com/a/2359?q=MXwyMzU5eDE3MzAyNjYwYTE3MzA4NDY2eDE=

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlog/5b71ab8b-d8c0-4c70-8ce8-9c2294a4c959#d=0,f=9,t=1

Little did you know, "Sever Force (Force)" and both "Crushed (Force)"'s are DoTs from different skills. You have my word that I'll put together a list for Shadow skill should you decide to implement this feature. Dots are very important in this game.

NB: AskMrRobot correctly splits Crushed (Force) into two positions while TORParse doesn't.

Feokist - I'm glad you brought that up, I was hoping a thread like this would bubble this kind of information up so that every combat-parser author could learn from them.

I have a few other skills that I know about, I can add a list of tips to the OP.

• Telekenitic Throw is coming up as Crushed.
  • Crushed (force) is both the Mind Crush and Force Technique's Force Breach (edited to reflect correction stated by Feokist)
  • Whirlwind shows up as Force Lift
  • Force Lightning shows up at Shocked. Note that Shock is it's own ability and can be left alone.
  • A few abilities like Burning (Tech) are dots that happen from various abilities. As of right now, we haven't identified a good way to associate them to the right spell.

Looking forward for more of these, so everyone can get a full list :)

Edited by Zoopercat

• Telekenitic Throw is coming up as Crushed. Note that Crushed (force) is the Mind Crush Dot, so you can leave that one alone.

That's only partially complete, as I pointed out above both Mind Crush and Force Technique's Force Breach DoTs are both shown as "Crushed (Force)" (I believe case is important here too?). They show with different IDs in the log. Which one is which? Force Breach is the one with smaller numbers.

Edited by Feoktist

Since players can build a profile in the character builder, why not link them, AMIRITE? (see Zoopercat as an example)

In fact, a little known secret: we have an API for character information, so anyone can do it really :)

What's the secret that would allow one to import gear information from the server? I did create a character but I'm changing specs and gear waaay to often to reflect it on a website every time.

Feokist - I'm glad you brought that up, I was hoping a thread like this would bubble this kind of information up so that every combat-parser author could learn from them.

On that note:

I am making a parser that is my own little pet project, mostly because I have never done it and I wanted to learn.

I have only told two guild about it so i have a small base of testuser. I havn't posted any threat or added it to this roundup yet because I dont want to show a uinfinished and broken product and I dont know how much my webserver can handle :)

My question and problem is:

I do, as most do, divide the parsed log into fight/encounters. I do it by looking for the EnterCombat line and ending the fight at the next ExitCombat or player Death.

If I encounter another EnterCombat before any ExitCombat or Death, I start a new fight and ignore the first EnterCombat.

Mostly, thats jsut fine. But i have found an issue with my logic.

It operations, when a boss try is a wipe and I do "Exit Area" to save on my repair bill, the combat log neither register ExitCombat nor Death (death is kinde obvious). This mean I dont parse any of the tries I do "Exit Area".

Ofcourse I could parse so if I get two EnterCombat in a row I handle the second one as End-Of-Combat, but that would give a false length of combat and false DPS value. I dont want the run back into the operation to be a part of my combat.

How has you guys solved this?

Also, if anyone want to test my parser, send my a private message and I'll give you a link to it.

@Feokist, you can't import your character from the server :( If there was a way, we'd totally let you do it! The SECOND that's opened up as an option by BW, we'll open it up to everyone else. However, they have their hands full cleaning up this plague that's spreading around ;) I'm not sure if / when they'll have an option like this for sites like us to use.

@Heltids

That's a very good question. When that happens, we look for the safe immunity buff that you get when zoning back in. Don't tell anyone, it's our little secret ;)

@ Everyone, I'm posting a few updates tomorrow (Wednesday) once I collect a couple of updated screenshots. Wildking has a nice update with some expanded features for those who log in. If anyone else has updates, or links to guides, I'll add all of that stuff in.

As for Mr. Robot, we're currently working on some improved smart-merging logic. We almost caved in to some challenges that would require all users to enter a raid key to merge logs... but after 2 days of brainstorming, we think we have it figured out. The improved solution will continue to allow non-logged-in users to merge logs, without ever entering a raid id. It will be just as automatic as it is today, but the merges will be less... 'finicky.' Stay tuned for the updated release.

Edited by Zoopercat

@Heltids

That's a very good question. When that happens, we look for the safe immunity buff that you get when zoning back in. Don't tell anyone, it's our little secret ;)

:eek:

Is so obvious now when you say it, I think I have to do bang my head against the wall for a bit.

If I only looked 10 row lower down in the log i would have seen it :)

Edit: And now it is fixed in my parser. Thanks Zoopercat

Edited by heltidsluffare

Oh, what the hell, add my site to the round-up aswell

CLP: Combat Log Parser

URL: http://clp.htl.nu

Author: heltidsluffare (@Heltidsluffare on Twitter)

Accurate: Yes (but test it to make sure)

Share Logs: Yes (permalink mode activated!)

Merge Logs: Yes (In a manner of speaking, more like merge encounters)

Other Notes: Forumthread got all and no information: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=420351