Why no imperial trooper

alienstalker

I agree with you on this. Storm troopers were the imperial military class, not bounty hunters. Smugglers and bounty hunters were most definitely 2-sided. If you read up about Han Solo you'll find that he worked for the imperials with distinction until he got thrown out for protecting a wookie from being beaten by an imperial agent. Smugglers and bounty hunters are crooks, and crooks will supply the highest bidder whichever side they're on unless they have a sense of morality.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There certaintly is stuff in the middle, but how can that be accomplished alone? I'm genuinely asking, I'm not trying to be sassy. Would each quest have you fight larger groups, but with multiple companions? In a story driven game, it's hard to imagine a consistant stream of excuses from above as to why an average soldier would repeatedly be send off on his own.

There are actually a variety of ways to explain this. Depending on the mission, it could just give you a dozen NPC's. I remember one mission on Ord Mantell where, at the end, a gunship came in and deployed a squad of troopers. It could do that. A squad of NPCs run the mission with you, getting picked off cuz they're weak. Or maybe there is some reason for why you're solo? Keep in mind, there are often times where a squad will send out two or so troops for recon or something.

I'm not a writer, it's not my place to justify why things are done. However even I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head. So if even I can do it, I'd like to imagine professionals working at Bioware could manage.

Someone has already pointed out how the in-game movies (of which Deceived is one) only serve to showcase the in-game classes. If we're talking common sense though, a navy alone does not win a war of occupation.

The Empire sacked Coruscant, evicted the Jedi, and sued the Republic for peace. It didn't do that only with mere "grunts" and to argue otherwise would be nonsense. Not only because it makes no sense, but because it would imply a lot about how special Republic troopers really aren't if they got caned by such a weaksauce force.

We are not claiming they did it alone, we are just saying that the grunts did do alot to help the sith defeat the republic. If it was only sith, vs jedi and republic troopers the sith would lose. That's why they used ashigaru in feudal japan is because you can just rely on the most powerful forces. But once again we are getting off topic. What I'm saying is, is that the grunts still had there uses.

I don't even know if he WAS a commander of an elite commando unit. To be honest I doubt he was. I said even if HE was special, not that he was commanding something special.

The cinematic took placer on Alderaan while it was being held by the Empire. There were small squads of Republic Troopers located throughout the forests to disrupt Sith warbands. Chances are Joe Everygrunt isn't going to be sent to Alderaan to fight a guerrilla war. Chances are commando units, which I think are considered elite in all situations, are going to be sent in.

Also, and this is a trope. The fact he's going in without a helmet, and we can see his face, marks him as someone important.

Actually, this is wrong. It doesn't give them details in any way, shape or form. It just tells them something bad is about to happen. It's their decades of training that allows them to interpret that into something useable.

I said it didn't tell them what form. It tells them what direction the danger will be coming from.

Jedi/Sith are not THAT magnificent. Unlike the game, they can't force-spam when in combat. It requires a lot of focus and concentration and makes them very vulnerable to attack. If it's 1v1 then they can force-spam more freely, but in a warzone situation you wont see a force user using the force in any blatant way, they certainly wont be levitating people up and zapping them or anything. So without their more blatant force powers, then year, soldiers can often go toe-to-toe with them.

You didn't watch the the prequels, did you? While they weren't going crazy with Force powers they were using the basics. Pushes and pulls, jumps, etc. Even pushing your enemy or jumping over their head is an advantage.

Your example is a bad one because Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, they weren't really that special. They were all royalty sure, but combat-wise they were not that amazing. They didn't have any super amazing talents or anything. All they had were years of training. Gandalf is about the only one who was anything special.

Aragorn was Dunedain. That right there makes him special. He was of the line of Great Men, of which there were only twelve others besides him. He is something beyond the scope of a normal man. He is on the level with elves, who themselves are excellent fighters.

And the point I made with them is that they have more experience. They are more special then Frodo because of this. They're technically elite forces.

Whether you want to admit it, an everyday soldier is very much a match for a jedi or sith. You are WOEFULLY overestimating how powerful force users are.

No. No I'm not. You're overestimating the abilities of a regular soldier.

I agree with you on this. Storm troopers were the imperial military class, not bounty hunters. Smugglers and bounty hunters were most definitely 2-sided. If you read up about Han Solo you'll find that he worked for the imperials with distinction until he got thrown out for protecting a wookie from being beaten by an imperial agent. Smugglers and bounty hunters are crooks, and crooks will supply the highest bidder whichever side they're on unless they have a sense of morality.

Thats very true and that's a big reason why I don't think they should just have bounty hunters mirroring the republic trooper, storywise and classwise they are very different.

Oh for God's sake I was making a example of movies with soldiers who were not influencing the government.

Bad example, however. The discussion isn't on influence in government, it's on kill capability. To put it simply, you're comparing average soldiers pitting themselves against average soldiers. I'm sure if the Allied forces had Jedi on their sides, Nazi Germany would have fallen very quickly.

The cinematic took placer on Alderaan while it was being held by the Empire. There were small squads of Republic Troopers located throughout the forests to disrupt Sith warbands. Chances are Joe Everygrunt isn't going to be sent to Alderaan to fight a guerrilla war. Chances are commando units, which I think are considered elite in all situations, are going to be sent in.

Also, and this is a trope. The fact he's going in without a helmet, and we can see his face, marks him as someone important.

I said it didn't tell them what form. It tells them what direction the danger will be coming from.

You didn't watch the the prequels, did you? While they weren't going crazy with Force powers they were using the basics. Pushes and pulls, jumps, etc. Even pushing your enemy or jumping over their head is an advantage.

Aragorn was Dunedain. That right there makes him special. He was of the line of Great Men, of which there were only twelve others besides him. He is something beyond the scope of a normal man. He is on the level with elves, who themselves are excellent fighters.

And the point I made with them is that they have more experience. They are more special then Frodo because of this. They're technically elite forces.

And he was the only trooper I saw without a helmet, everyone else had one.

I think he's thinking of storm troopers. Yes there were proper storm troopers dressed in white plastic icecream boxes in the films working for the empire. It does seem a bit odd that there are troopers working for the republic because if memory serves me I never saw any republic troppers in the films, or I just haven't watched star wars enough and need to refresh my memory.

Might want to look into rewatching Episode 2, I think I saw one or two there.

We are not claiming they did it alone, we are just saying that the grunts did do alot to help the sith defeat the republic. If it was only sith, vs jedi and republic troopers the sith would lose. That's why they used ashigaru in feudal japan is because you can just rely on the most powerful forces. But once again we are getting off topic. What I'm saying is, is that the grunts still had there uses.

But again I feel the need to remind someone that the Imperial military is not entirely made up of grunts. They don't just go from guarding the junkyard to guarding the Emperor himself in one promotion, and like any professional army they will have special forces (like Delta Squad and the 501st "Vader's Fist" clone troops of the Galactic Civil War era) so it wouldn't be difficult for someone at Bioware to dream up a special forces unit just like they did with Havok Squad in this game.

Might want to look into rewatching Episode 2, I think I saw one or two there.

And they in fact turned out to be working for the Sith. :D

Edited by PJEBarlow

Bad example, however. The discussion isn't on influence in government, it's on kill capability. To put it simply, you're comparing average soldiers pitting themselves against average soldiers. I'm sure if the Allied forces had Jedi on their sides, Nazi Germany would have fallen very quickly.

But what if Nazi Germany had sith on there side while jedi were on the allied side. Anyways though that is getting way off topic.

And he was the only trooper I saw without a helmet, everyone else had one.

Yep. Did you see how easily the Sith with helmets fell as well?

Like I said, the trope only protects those whose face we can see. Otherwise they're eventual fodder.

And at the end of the whole thing, the Sith only lost because Satele Shan showed.

And how many bloody commandos do you think the republic has? As seen at the end of that trailer, there were hundreds of flares, that equates to thousands of troopers. You're telling me the Republic sent THOUSANDS of special forces troopers to one planet? Yeah, No. There may have been commando units doing specific missions such as taking out surface-orbit defenses or something. But the squads attacking the Imperials were all generics. That is kind of what the army is for, not everything is done by elite commandos, jobs that are just "go in there and kill the enemy" gets relegated to your average joes.

It doesn't give the direction either. Which is why you can be a sniper behind a sith and take him out easy, because he only knows he's about to get hurt, not from where or by what.

Also if you watched the prequels you'd see bloody droids killing over two hundred jedi at the end of Episode 2. Force users are not gods.

The only thing special about them is that they were experienced as you say. But what about Generic trooper number 53? He's served 5 tours of duty, he's fought on dozens of planets. He's been fighting since before you were born, but is only a corporal in a generic military unit. He has all the same experience but he's not special, he's not in an elite squad, he's not amazing. He's just a good fighter.

You're underestimating a regular soldier.

Edited by ColonelColt

Uhm... Why?? i dont get it..

Jedi knight = sith warrior

Jedi Consular = sith inquisitor

Trooper = imperial agent

Smuggler = bounty hunter

Easy? Its the same classes but the spells/attacks/cooldowns (or how u call m) are different names and annimation, like the consular does that channel spell throw rocks, while inquisitor does lightning:)

But again I feel the need to remind someone that the Imperial military is not entirely made up of grunts. They don't just go from guarding the junkyard to guarding the Emperor himself in one promotion, and like any professional army they will have special forces (like Delta Squad and the 501st "Vader's Fist" clone troops of the Galactic Civil War era) so it wouldn't be difficult for someone at Bioware to dream up a special forces unit just like they did with Havok Squad in this game.

And they in fact turned out to be working for the Sith. :D

Yeah but you'd have to start as a private slowly working your way through the ranks if they did that.

Trooper = imperial agent

Smuggler = bounty hunter

Easy? Its the same classes but the spells/attacks/cooldowns (or how u call m) are different names and annimation, like the consular does that channel spell throw rocks, while inquisitor does lightning:)

You got the last four mixed up. It's...

Trooper = BH

Smuggler = IA

Yep. Did you see how easily the Sith with helmets fell as well?

Like I said, the trope only protects those whose face we can see. Otherwise they're eventual fodder.

And at the end of the whole thing, the Sith only lost because Satele Shan showed.

Who the heck cares whether the sith with helmets fell. We should be discussing the trooper and not whether the helmet makes you good or not.

Yeah but you'd have to start as a private slowly working your way through the ranks if they did that.

Why not just do it the same way Republic tin cans do in Havok Squad? You don't have to grind through basic training and then years of grunt service in TOR before joining this "elite special forces" unit.

To be honest, I'll never understand who thought it would be a good idea to put Smugglers as rep classes and BH as Imp. BH's work for whoever pays, hell the BH storyline even has them going after Imperials. Same with Smugglers. If they really wanted to keep those two classes, they shoulda made them unique and made them cross-faction. Since they already mirror classes, a proper Imp trooper being the mirror to the rep trooper would have been far more fun. As well, an SIS agent being the mirror to the Imp agent would have been fun as well.

You know, to think of it, Smuggler and BH classes should of been nuetral, the storyline for the two could of been hands down the best. They could choose to lean towards one side or the other, or they could play bothsides since they are essentially the underbelly of society. Would of made the story for them the best.

And how many bloody commandos do you think the republic has? As seen at the end of that trailer, there were hundreds of flares, that equates to thousands of troopers. You're telling me the Republic sent THOUSANDS of special forces troopers to one planet? Yeah, No. There may have been commando units doing specific missions such as taking out surface-orbit defenses or something. But the squads attacking the Imperials were all generics. That is kind of what the army is for, not everything is done by elite commandos, jobs that are just "go in there and kill the enemy" gets relegated to your average joes.

Actually, yeah, they probably do have that many commando squads that come from a single company. Your thinking if confined to a single planet. The Republic has a large number of planets to draw from, each having large populations.

So armed forces numbering upwards into the billions would not be out of the question.

It doesn't give the direction either. Which is why you can be a sniper behind a sith and take him out easy, because he only knows he's about to get hurt, not from where or by what.

Also if you watched the prequels you'd see bloody droids killing over two hundred jedi at the end of Episode 2. Force users are not gods.

You're wrong on the first part. I also never said they were gods, but you're clearly able to put words into my mouth. Put it this way, if you're a regular soldier and the enemy you fight -suddenly flips over your head- chances are there's a '***' moment.

Also, play through The Esseles flashpoint. That's a good example of what a Sith can do that isn't overpowered.

The only thing special about them is that they were experienced as you say. But what about Generic trooper number 53? He's served 5 tours of duty, he's fought on dozens of planets. He's been fighting since before you were born, but is only a corporal in a generic military unit. He has all the same experience but he's not special, he's not in an elite squad, he's not amazing. He's just a good fighter.

You're underestimating a regular soldier.

So, as someone else said, they'd need to put in a completely new mechanic that allows for a single person to have 3-4 companions out at a time. This character class also couldn't partake in pvp, because they'd rely on 3-4 companions in a regular setting and in a pvp setting would be all but useless since they can't have companions. Now in a group setting such as heroic quests, flashpoints or ops, they would once more be useless since they can't have their 'squad' of companions.

They'd basically be a single-player class in a multiplayer setting. Bioware would have to devote a lot of resources to the game in redesigning it for this class. Resources that could be better spent developing new content for the heroic classes.

And don't even bring up 'They can function well in group settings along' because they couldn't. That wouldn't make them your everyday soldier, but a person elite enough to be joining up with Sith, Imperial Intelligence and veteran bounty hunters.

Trooper = imperial agent

Smuggler = bounty hunter

We are not going for spells/attacks and cooldowns. We are talking about the story and class. A imperial agent is in the imperial intelligence, while the trooper is in the army.