Guarding in PvE

Maybe I'm only noticing this now because when I use a class that can tank I usually do, but I've just realized that damage transfer applies to PvE damage too if the guarded is within 15m. For the entire 5 years I've played this I've assumed that PvE guarding just meant "guarded player takes 5% less damage and gives 25% less threat", and that 50% of damage doesn't transfer to me because it's not from an "enemy player". There is nothing in the tooltip that mentions a damage split when you're fighting anyone other than an enemy player aka PvP. I just got chewed out today after 5 years by a group member who scolded me for using it on them while I was a dps and made me feel like a simpleton.

Anyone know if this has been a recent change? Or has it been the deal for the whole game and the people who wrote the tooltip are just refusing to edit their mistake?

I think you're just mistaken. When do you think the 'change' happened? I've tanked a few fp in the last couple weeks, and noticed no damage transfer.

As far as I can tell the PvE guard is working the same as it always has.

*you may have been chewed out because if a dps guards another player the tank can't guard that dps. If a dps is constantly drawing aggro; it's annoying for the tank not to be able to slap a guard on them.

Edited by LD_Little_Dragon

Maybe I'm only noticing this now because when I use a class that can tank I usually do, but I've just realized that damage transfer applies to PvE damage too if the guarded is within 15m. For the entire 5 years I've played this I've assumed that PvE guarding just meant "guarded player takes 5% less damage and gives 25% less threat", and that 50% of damage doesn't transfer to me because it's not from an "enemy player". There is nothing in the tooltip that mentions a damage split when you're fighting anyone other than an enemy player aka PvP. I just got chewed out today after 5 years by a group member who scolded me for using it on them while I was a dps and made me feel like a simpleton.

Anyone know if this has been a recent change? Or has it been the deal for the whole game and the people who wrote the tooltip are just refusing to edit their mistake?

Nothing changed here. You just found an a******. Proceed as you did and give guard to anyone who doesn't have you already from the tank. No damage will be transferred to you in normal PvE. If someone claims otherwise he is just in the wrong in this matter. As long as you are not using it on the tank you are doing just fine.

*you may have been chewed out because if a DPS guards another player the tank can't guard that dps. If a DPS is constantly drawing aggro; it's annoying for the tank not to be able to slap a guard on them.

If it was the tank and you constantly took aggro then I can second this. There is no difference between the guard of a tank or one of a DPS. so if the other DPS took the aggro then either this DPs should learn what a threat drop is the tank should improve a little.

But when I tank a flashpoint I don't mind and taunt again. and if it happens that I don't should have a taunt the DPS can handle the adds or the boss for a couple of seconds. :cool:

Edited by CarlGustaf