New Merc Jetpack Ability!

Warlord_Maliken

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/signed. so long as its not too easy for them to get out of the pits or over a voidstar wall, etc. that said, thatd be some sweet, well deserved utility.

Yeah the jetpack wouldn't propel the Mercenary that high in the air. Its main goal is to get you away from enemies that are trying to lock you down. Flying 30 feet up in the air is something I think they could leave for the movies ;D I imagine it not being any higher than when we use death from above.

Edited by Warlord_Maliken

You don't get what I mean. People should make a choice when choosing an adv class. Do you want a jetpack or heavy armor? Then pick the Powertech. Do you want two blasters or a good healer/DPSer? Then pick a Mercenary. I chose the Powertech because I liked the heavy armor. You chose the Merc because of the healing and DPSing. If you start turning a class to 1 thing, then there wouldn't be a point at making a choice.

So you want each class to be able to equip all kinds of weapons. Then what's the point of choosing a class?:rod_confused_g:

Mercenaries already HAVE a jetpack. Recharge and Reload, Death From Above - these both use the jetpack and are Bounty Hunter abilities available to both classes. Yes, Powertechs get that jetpack charge ability, and that should stay solely theirs.

A jetpack disengage, however, is sorely needed for the Mercenary and would fit very well. Personally, I wouldn't see it as one that has him firing the blasters, that'd be weird. But just a quick jet back to get you out of range, maybe something that breaks targeting - that'd be good.

A jetpack disengage, however, is sorely needed for the Mercenary and would fit very well. Personally, I wouldn't see it as one that has him firing the blasters, that'd be weird. But just a quick jet back to get you out of range, maybe something that breaks targeting - that'd be good.

What would be weird about that? I would like everyone to youtube Obi-Won vs Jango Episode 2 and watch the fight scene. When it starts Jango does #2 ability of this post. He shoots a few shots while jetpacking away and ITS AWESOME.. Of course Jango's jetpack lets him fly 40 feet in the air for cinematic's sake, but in the game it would be a toned down version.

As you were saying, the damage part of this ability doesn't have to be in the game. It can just be a Jetpack Escape mechanic instead. That'd be fine though a little disappointing to me. Following that train of thought, why would a healer mercenary want to jetpack away AND shoot his enemy? Maybe it would be a good thing, maybe not. Leaves you to think whether or not this should be a talent-ability. All these things need to be considered and thats one of the reasons I posted this.

I think it'd be weird because we're talking a disengage here, a defensive ability - not an offensive one.

I understand your point, but sometimes you shoot back defensively also. I would say have the ability do a small amount of damage or none at all would be fine with me or even just a "spray and pray" type of thing.

Ranged DPS survival tools->

Snipers:

1) Leg Shot(snare single target)

2)Cover Pulse(knockback aoe)

3)Entrench(immune to control effects)

4)Flash bang (aoe stun)

5)Evasion (dodge melee and range attacks 100% for 3 secs)

6)Shield Probe( absorbing moderate dmg for 15 secs)

7)Ballistic Shield( 20% dmg reduction for 15 secs)

8)Debilitate (single target stun)

Sorcerers:

1)Overload(aoe knockback)

2)Electrocute(single target stun)

3)Static Barrier(absorbing high amounts of dmg, spam able)

4)Force Speed

5)Force Slow(single target snare)

Mercenaries:

1)Electro Dart(single target stun)

2)jet boost(aoe knockback)

3)Energy Shield( dmg reduction of 25% for 12 secs)

4)Kolto Overload( restores 15%HP over 10 seconds)

I really think mercs could use a backwards leap to keep ur distance from melee, have been hoping for it to come with each passing patch, just like we needed an interrupt ability seems that we finally get it in 1.4

Yet they even ****ed up our interrupt by making the rest of our "escape" abilities insanely underpowered.

I understand your point, but sometimes you shoot back defensively also. I would say have the ability do a small amount of damage or none at all would be fine with me or even just a "spray and pray" type of thing.

They need to make Chaff Flare cause the enemy to lose you as a target. Not OP, they'll just have to re-target you, but that could be life-saving. We need at least ONE escape. PLEASE.

I agree. I would take a hit to damage or defense for something like this. I have an idea of my own. I didn't read all the posts so don't know if this was already mentioned. But what about a free moving jetpack ability. Its basically a speed buff in the air while being immune to anti mobility.

Sorry, but no.:jawa_mad: The merc has both two guns and a back missile launcher. However, the only special thing the powertech has got is a jetpack. Now you want to give them both a jetpack. This means that the number of powertechs would greatly decrease, because this one would have nothing special anymore.:jawa_frown: Please, just lets keep the jetpacks for the powertech, its the only thing which makes this adv. class unique.:jawa_angel:

Oh yes, isn't Boba Fett more kind of a powertech?:jawa_confused:

Two guns?

The mercs off-hand gun is just for looks.

If it ever does hit it does what 120 damage?

Yeah i was confused by his posts as well lol. Also Jango uses 2 pistols and cast tracer missle in this scene vs Obi-Won in Star Wars: Episode 2. Jango is the mercenary icon, the only thing SWTOR is missing here is a the lack of JETPACK MOBILITY shown drastically in this scene.

STAR WARS YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK OF OBI-WON VS JANGO Notice Jango's 2 pistols.

Here is what SWTOR MERCENARY feels like in PVP unfortunately.

(SHORT FUNNY VIDEO)

Genius, agreed, kudos and desperately needed. Not only would this fix many of our PvP viability problems but it would offer a new and unique skill into the game. Possibly revive a long dysfunctional and forgotten class in high end, ranked PvP: DPS Mercs/Mandos. Read your entire post, very well written and thought out.

To everyone else, don't forget to rate the thread a 5 at the bottom right hand corner of the replies and leave a constructive bump or even incorporate the link into your signature.

Edited by LeonHawkeye

These are some appealing abilities, but my vision of these differs a bit :

For your AoE leap , I agree on the visual, the BH using the jet Pack, the trooper using the harpoon MGGS-style. But I imagine these abilities Vanguard/Powertech only.

For the back leap (your disengaging ability looks like this to me) ... Republic side I can only come up with a spiked grenade* that explodes and send flying the trooper back... but it's not really appealing to me.

* I don't find other word than "spiked" to describe the movement... Not sure if it is understandable for all so : spike

Edited by Altheran

When i first read ur title, i thought "yeah, thats exactly what i was thinking so often ... moooooore jetpack plz".

The first option to implement such a new skill, i think nearly everyone would agree, would give too much opertunities to exploit game mechanics and a lot of "unfair" advantages in pvp.

But the second one is a really good idea and should seriously be considered as the missing escaping tool for the merc. OFC i do not want any skill that makes me OP and gives other classes the impression of being useless or robbed by their "unique" ability. But mercs badly do need a kind of mobility skill.

So dont give me a charge. Dont give me a sprint or a grabble. Just give me a "small" jetpack jump a few meters. Let me not be able to "jump" through the firepits, over a wall or a gap in voidstar and let me die INSTANTLY if i'm too stupid and jump against the wall behind me :rolleyes:

But plz give me something helpful to feel more mobile and not junkfood for every melee class (pvp) or like a slow sandbag while covering distances over 15m during bossfights (pve).

And last but not least give me one cool stylish looking skill ... give a a Jetpack because i'm Jango Fett !!!! :csw_fett:

• 2 weeks later...

Developers Backpedal in PVP (Jedi Knight vs Bounty Hunter):

Examples: 2:22, 2:54 and countless others in the video

This is a DEVELOPER Showcased pvp video. I cannot believe my eyes. This is why balance in pvp sucks, none of them know how to mmo pvp, and their testers are probably not telling them this information.

Edited by DkSharktooth

Developers Backpedal in PVP:

Examples: 2:22, 2:54 and countless others in the video

This is a DEVELOPER Showcased pvp video. I cannot believe my eyes. This is why balance in pvp sucks, none of them know how to mmo pvp, and their testers are probably not telling them this information.

LOL!!! That is some serious backpeddling too, its not even mild hahaha.

My favorite line though is when developer Hall Hood - Senior Writer says at 2:13 "Hmm, a Bounty Hunter player and a Jedi Knight player in a fight..... Thats ganna be a tough one.." Referring to the Sentinel vs the Mercenary. hahahah. he appears to be hiding an evil smirk.

LOL!!! That is some serious backpeddling too, its not even mild hahaha.

My favorite line though is when developer Hall Hood - Senior Writer says at 2:13 "Hmm, a Bounty Hunter player and a Jedi Knight player in a fight..... Thats ganna be a tough one.." hahahah. he appears to be hiding an evil smirk.

And you question me if they read forums or not, I told you they don't. If they did, that wouldn't even be a question. The video was in oct 2011, but still, the knights have enough tools and interrupts to win. If this is seriously a demo of how we should be playing, then they nerfed backpedaling mercs for being to op (lol) and thought that it was significant to change an animation of tracer and fusion as a top priority for the class.

Edited by DkSharktooth

This is an interesting thread about how to make the Merc better and more fun to play, let's not ruin it by derailing the thread into focusing on that old video with poor acting where they tried to show some of the abilities which the different classes were going to get. Edited by Rassuro

This is an interesting thread about how to make the Merc better and more fun to play, let's not ruin it by derailing the thread into focusing on that old video with poor acting where they tried to show some of the abilities which the different classes were going to get.

Kool, we can do that.

My 2 cents:

Make concussion missile instant cast, in addition to the changes requested in this thread.

I'm all for the disengage ability. Make it an instant-cast so that we can fire off another ability as we rocket backwards.

Electro-dart for a stun if it's up (giving us a true chance to escape), unload for damage, or even rapid shots if you need a little cooling. Put the disengage on a timer so that we can't spam it.

I like the idea of the disengage taking us straight backwards. In the heat of PVP you've got to have situational awareness or you slam into the wall behind you and still get slaughtered. I'd recommend having the distance propelled being a few meters further than Force leap. That way a jedi has to at least take a few steps before they jump to you again.

Edited by Nassik