Suggestions to improve Open World PVP

DSafana

Ok, I'm going to start a Thread where people can give suggestions to Improve a basically Non-existent Open world PVP.

Here is My suggestion:

The problem I see - Open world PVP is currently going into PVE zones and starting fights with PVE players in PVE gear that really have no chance to win unless they outnumber you.

Ilum could be a great PVP zone, if they made some minor changes that wouldn't even take much effort.

PvP players have no reason to go to Ilum. The PVP quests and PVP merchants only exist on Fleet. There are no rewards worth transporting back and forth between Fleet and Ilum.

Suggestion:

1. Remove all PVP quest terminals and PVP gear merchants from the fleet and put them in the Center of the Ilum battlefield. Both sides have to fight for control of the center to gain access to the merchants and terminals.

2. Add new Daily Ilum Quests to the same PVP terminals that rewards War hero Comms for every 100 PVP kills in Ilum. -To prevent exploits, when you get killed, you are not worth a PVP kill for 3 minutes and you can only return to med center or be battle rezzed within the battlefield.(no Revive)

3. Have 4 BOSS level turrets surround the terminal and merchant area. To own the center area you have to down all 4 turrets before any respawn. The respawn timer for each would be 1 minute. This means to gain access to the center area you will need at least 2 teams of four to down the 4 turrets in time to flip them to your faction. (to stop ninja flips)

This would make the objective to wipe out the other team and down the turrets before they get back from their Med-Center to gain access to PVP quest terminals and merchants.

Ok, I'm going to start a Thread where people can give suggestions to Improve a basically Non-existent Open world PVP.

Here is My suggestion:

The problem I see - Open world PVP is currently going into PVE zones and starting fights with PVE players in PVE gear that really have no chance to win unless they outnumber you.

Ilum could be a great PVP zone, if they made some minor changes that wouldn't even take much effort.

PvP players have no reason to go to Ilum. The PVP quests and PVP merchants only exist on Fleet. There are no rewards worth transporting back and forth between Fleet and Ilum.

Suggestion:

1. Remove all PVP quest terminals and PVP gear merchants from the fleet and put them in the Center of the Ilum battlefield. Both sides have to fight for control of the center to gain access to the merchants and terminals.

2. Add new Daily Ilum Quests to the same PVP terminals that rewards War hero Comms for every 100 PVP kills in Ilum. -To prevent exploits, when you get killed, you are not worth a PVP kill for 3 minutes and you can only return to med center or be battle rezzed within the battlefield.(no Revive)

3. Have 4 BOSS level turrets surround the terminal and merchant area. To own the center area you have to down all 4 turrets before any respawn. The respawn timer for each would be 1 minute. This means to gain access to the center area you will need at least 2 teams of four to down the 4 turrets in time to flip them to your faction. (to stop ninja flips)

This would make the objective to wipe out the other team and down the turrets before they get back from their Med-Center to gain access to PVP quest terminals and merchants.

Whlie it is a pity that we don't have any meaningful World PvP, I don't feel the way forwards is forcing people to participate in World PvP in order to gain access to Warzone PvP quests. Furthermore, this also encourages the divide between PvE and PvP. PvPers will log into and out of Illum, and practically make it a seperate game within a game.

Doesn't this also fail to address faction imbalance at all? As far as I was ever concerned, that was the major reason Illum never worked in the first place, and was the root behind most of the exploitation / Kill sharing. Your proposal wouldn't do anything to fix that major issue.

Finally, as has already been mentioned, the engine just can't stand up to large scale world PvP. It is a sorry truth, but a truth none-the-less.

Allow same faction pvp in more areas on all planets. Of course this possibility would only occur in higher level brackets to prevent the certain lowbie ganking. This would at least provide more options until enemy factions were present.

Dueling is lame, and by setting forth a group/guild as friendly option only, you would see a lot more pvp.

I really hope they consider this.

imps out number rep like what 2 to 1...no thanks

For this purpose, there should be sith bases scattered on different planets (preferably away from where PvE questing is and not crossing those paths to get there) that offer awards for repubs to attack and for sith to successfully defend.

It would scatter the sith forces not knowing where they will be attacked and allow for repubs to organize a quick strike team. Some times, there would be more repubs attacking than there are sith to defend, but that would give stealthers a role to track the repub strike team for the sith re-enforcements as well as repub stealthers to scout for soft targets. Hopefully, clashes would break out in transit to different spots as well.

Rewards are not the answer for establishing motitivation for World PvP, optimization of the game engine however, would do wonders for those wanting to do so. Until then, PvP on demand via WZ's with minimal lag will remain #1.

For this purpose, there should be sith bases scattered on different planets (preferably away from where PvE questing is and not crossing those paths to get there) that offer awards for repubs to attack and for sith to successfully defend.

It would scatter the sith forces not knowing where they will be attacked and allow for repubs to organize a quick strike team. Some times, there would be more repubs attacking than there are sith to defend, but that would give stealthers a role to track the repub strike team for the sith re-enforcements as well as repub stealthers to scout for soft targets. Hopefully, clashes would break out in transit to different spots as well.

Disregarding a few of yer variables, I like the idea. Instead of sith or pub bases you have neutral ones waiting to be captured. Inessence you could apply the valor buff or some sort of reward that displays you were victorious and would benefit yer character.

Ilum is instanced. They can adjust the numbers per instance to allow decent sized world PVP to work without excessive lag.

If people only want to huddle up in the Fleet to continue to do warzone PVP, then in a week or 2 expect to see almost no PVP occuring in the game anymore. I'm already hearing PVP'ers requesting people to Q up for a warzone to pop, just like it was on the dead servers before the merge.

Faction imbalance will always be a complaint, it's a complaint in every PVP game ever created. Even the games with 3 factions.

I guess Forums are full of people with negative attitudes. I must be crazy to expect people to think outside the box and make suggestions. 7 negative posts so far. only 1 or 2 with any suggestions.

I would love open world pvp in swtor but the game design (currently) is not meant for it. I still enjoy the game but I would enjoy it so much more if there was viable open world pvp.

factions would need balance. player controlled planets with player built / defended cities would need to happen.

but over all the mindset of grinding pvp gear would need to disappear. pvp in this game is designed around granted rewards. it's difficult if not impossible to break that trend.

pvp based on guild or faction pride would be excellent. i just don't know how it would happen.

Maybe... throw up a planet with no missions and excellent terrain (no missions would keep down lag, and it would be pvp minded terrain). Something overwhelmingly interesting, environmental traps, bottle necks, things that just plain look cool (READ: visuals and environment are priority). AND the kicker, once you step on planet expertise (nullified) and HP are balanced regardless of lvl / gear. Let's say everyone gets 18000HP. If objectives are needed after that so be it, maybe something simple to start is control over speeders on the planet, one speeder always available to each faction. World faction chat would be available, only on this planet so people could organize. Speeders placed all over the planet, some in defensively advantageous spots and some not. Anyway. That's my quickly thought of idea to add in some open world pvp.

Something I'd need to spend more time thinking about but would like, is a penalty for dying on this planet (something time related to stop zerging on ~30sec intervals). No instant respawn. This would make healer rezing a very wanted skill.

This would be attractive to those who:

-want to pvp without a gear gap

or/and

-want a break from the same 4 (soon to be 5) WZs

or/and

-want to organize some military strategy to pvp by taking/holding/defending

Edited by CharterMonkKent

I haven't seen any suggestions for population imbalance are there any? I remember someone suggesting a 3rd factions would that help? Not even sure if that would be possible at any rate since you need to pick a faction just to roll characters.

I haven't seen any suggestions for population imbalance are there any? I remember someone suggesting a 3rd factions would that help? Not even sure if that would be possible at any rate since you need to pick a faction just to roll characters.

other games have allowed players to switch between factions and always post the numbers so the player base could see where the balance is.

I'd be fine with them doing that in this game. It wouldn't need to be complicated like converting BH (and all stats/gear) to a Trooper. Just leave the BH as a BH.

it's that or the game (devs) balance it by keeping the populations within 48%-52% balance. which would force server changes and/or only being allowed to create a new toon on a certain faction when it falls within the % give and take. This is also possible by listing which servers are currently accepting pubs or imps.

PVP faction balance over all is tough to figure because there are active and inactive players. Players that pvp and players that don't pvp (even on pvp servers).