Vanguard: Tanking and You

Escaflownae

I disagree completely that it should be unstickied. The OP has tons of good info for beginner tanks such as what threat is, how to generate it, how others generate it (DPS/Healers). Tips on how to pull mobs - LOS pulls, single target pulls when there are multiple targets, and a lot more. This guide is a gold mine of info on general "*** is tanking", not just PT/Vanguard tank.

Take a look at the PT/Vanguard guide on Dulfy, it's great for someone who is at endgame, knows what tanking is and is looking for how to gear + optimal rotation. This is more about beginners and telling them their role in a group and what IS tanking, what happens when you tank and what it is your doing. That Dulfy guide will be gibberish for a new player wanting to tank who is both new to MMO's and new to tanking in general. For example, there are SO few tanks out there who don't realize that heals generate 45% threat on all targets you are in combat with and so guarding a healer is stupid because a simple saber strike or rapid shots will out threat them easily. "LOS pull? What does that mean?" another question so many tanks I've run into have.

While the rotation, skill points (there are none) and rotation are "off " because since the last time this was updated, things were moved around (Energy Blast at one time didn't have the 25% shield chance, I distinctly remember having vanguard tanks use hybrids due to them having more survivability and threat AKA Carolina Parakeet for anyone who remembers THAT OP spec), the rest of the general information in the beginning about general tanking is gold.

I wish I could update the OP for him as it requires very little changing, but I can't. Though I've been trying to convince him to come back to play for a bit.

TL: DR - This thread is gold for new players wanting to know what tanking is, bad for someone who wants an updated guide on gear/optimal rotation. Thread should remain stickied just for the goldmine of info it has for new players who don't know anything about what tanking is and need a basic rundown. You want an updated guide for talents/optimal gear/rotation? go check Dulfy.

Edited by Aienir

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to Dulfy, preaching to the choir here - in my guild we call her the Oracle (nerdy Greek history pun). Although it'll end up sorta buried here on the last page, may as well link the Dulfy Vanguard guide here. And yes, much of the Dulfy guide will look like gibberish (especially since the different builds/"loadouts" are explained in terms of lv 60 ops boss fights, it really isn't going to make much sense to the uninitiated.

I also agree that there *is* indeed a good set of basic tanking info up front that doesn't really change with patches (or ever, really). There are parts where it arguably gets a bit too dense for the truly new player, but that's a nitpick.

I guess the least I can do is either make or find a competing VG tanking guide that pretty much just updates this one. If I find the time to do it, due credit will be given to this. It would be nice of your OP buddy can come back and brush this up though, since I'm kinda lazy.

When it comes to Dulfy, preaching to the choir here - in my guild we call her the Oracle (nerdy Greek history pun). Although it'll end up sorta buried here on the last page, may as well link the Dulfy Vanguard guide here. And yes, much of the Dulfy guide will look like gibberish (especially since the different builds/"loadouts" are explained in terms of lv 60 ops boss fights, it really isn't going to make much sense to the uninitiated.

I also agree that there *is* indeed a good set of basic tanking info up front that doesn't really change with patches (or ever, really). There are parts where it arguably gets a bit too dense for the truly new player, but that's a nitpick.

I guess the least I can do is either make or find a competing VG tanking guide that pretty much just updates this one. If I find the time to do it, due credit will be given to this. It would be nice of your OP buddy can come back and brush this up though, since I'm kinda lazy.

I've talked to him to come back, but the ability delay, lag and bugs turned him off from 3.0. He bough the xpac, tried it for a short while said "screw this" and went back to WoW.

I'll keep bugging him though. Maybe I'll just open a new thread, copy + paste the relevant info from this one and give him credit and update the parts for 3.0. If I feel like being productive or something.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Defense vs endurance? Atm i went for high endurance enhancements and mods putting me at 2k defence. Is this a safe bet?

I'll have to go back and check the numbers, but yeah, endurance is a fairly safe bet in the KotFE era. As long as you're also paying attention to stacking your shield chance, I think you can afford to keep def a bit lower. Riot gas, after all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
im looking to do pvp with my shield spec vanguard, any advice?

Taunt on cooldown, guard people that get hit. Be aware of guard range. Deactivate your guard if the person you're guarding or yourself is going anywhere else without the other one.

Annoy healers with stuns, interrupts and pulls. Alternatively, pull and stun a tank away from a healer.

Also: Refferal ads are a no go. ;)

• 3 months later...

Yah, as of right now Vanguard Tank state is

. Same mitigation as Guardians, but those have way better DCD. And comparing to Shadow it might come to +30% of average DTPS vs -20% DTPS, which stands Shadow tanks by 50% better, and it's outrageous. In DPS role they got 2 Defensive Cooldowns, while other classes have 3-4, + also heals, which healers classes have. Thus VG is squishiest class in PvP, and that's outrageous too. They don't have overpowered musthave perks, like Shadow and Guradians've (extend saber reflect to 5s, 60% absorption with Force Speed). Hold the Line doesn't provide defense unlike Force Speed or Blade Blitz.

Thus they need some Buff to defenses for both DPS and Tank role. One DCD like Echoing Deterrence/Responsive Safeguards wouldn't be excessive, especially as it's Reflect. Also l think getting rid of Transpose or make it avaliable for all VG disciplines. l also thought about a power with 3s duration and 30s cooldown, called, say Shield Overcharge/Shield Overload that would expel negative removable effects and increase Shield Chance by +50% (additive) for 3 seconds, which might be that kind of "block" power, what VG lacks. Like for EV ball lightnings, or Titan bombs it'd make sure hit from that is shielded guaranteed. But that might be added as replacement for totally useless Transpose, as Shield Chance makes sense only for Tanks.

Also Vanguards (not the Powertech) Riot Gas still invokes old accuracy reduction value (-30%) - bug, but l wouldn't fix it until their whole defenses are reworked.

Edited by DDaMAGEr

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward for 5.5 revamps and DTPS equalization.

Also something gives me thought that Transpose/Translocate is not only totally useless, but also is totally out-of-canon as well. Because here in Star Wars universe seems teleporatation technology is privilegy of ancient and forgotten civilizations, like Gree and Rakata (or little, but very powerful factions like Dread Masters). Other "teleporatation" types are canonically justified with holography (like Scoundrel/Operative "warp" lunge to enemy/ally), force techniques or shuttles (Quick Travel). And here we have something looking copypasted from HL universe. It might be stripped from VG/PT, and then returned back as... some kind of rare device or consumable schematic, like added to those Rakata or Gree vendors...

l guess Transpose/Translocate might be replaced by requested many times short "block" type DCD, like 100% shield chance for 3-5 seconds, that l propose also make stomp all removable negative effects (other tanks have things like that). l propose default duration of Shield Overcharge/Shield Overload might be made 3 sec default, and 5 seconds with 6 pieces of equipment (instead of Riot Gas/Oil Slick), stomp debuffs at instant it's activated, and grant +100% shield chance for duration. In addition reduces damage taken by your Guarded teammate (if present) by 15%. Cooldown is 45 seconds.

Edited by DDaMAGEr