Steam Overlay - Working on win7

renegadelink

Clearly this is a popular idea.

I have to ask: what is the advantage of running the game through Steam?

I've played games through Steam before, but only games that were purchased or downloaded from there.

It has its own screenshot manager, its own friends list. It has a ui overlay panel for quick access if you are in fullscreen mode. It has its own VOIP. It can use all these features with friends in non steam games if you configure the games for it.

Bioware/EA wants you to use the Origin software for it so they have disabled intuitive use of steam. Steam has a larger user base so more people want to do this.

If there was one universal game managaer with all these features that all games supported... I'd def be for that.

Edited by Inokis

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has its own screenshot manager, its own friends list. It has a ui overlay panel for quick access if you are in fullscreen mode. It has its own VOIP. It can use all these features with friends in non steam games if you configure the games for it.

Bioware/EA wants you to use the Origin software for it so they have disabled intuitive use of steam. Steam has a larger user base so more people want to do this.

If there was one universal game managaer with all these features that all games supported... I'd def be for that.

hmmm, I must say, this sounds intriguing.

Clearly this is a popular idea.

I have to ask: what is the advantage of running the game through Steam?

I've played games through Steam before, but only games that were purchased or downloaded from there.

I mostly use it to chat with friends as I play, you can open a web browser from the overlay instead of ALT+TAB. It is very useful I must say.

Thanks for the explanation, Inokis. I can see why it would be handy if most of your friends are already on Steam, then. Or you don't have Vent, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting an error on line 25 character 3. Whatever that means.

No longer getting the error, however when I start up SWTOR it works fine, but it only shows me playing SWTOR for a split second then it goes back to just being "online"

Edited by SoundOfDeath

I'm getting an error on line 25 character 3. Whatever that means.

No longer getting the error, however when I start up SWTOR it works fine, but it only shows me playing SWTOR for a split second then it goes back to just being "online"

I have the same problem,

For me it works again.

repeat renegadelink´s Step´s

Step 1: close Steam.

Step 2:Delete your steamswtor.vbs data.

Step 4:Create a new steamswtor.vbs with the code from renegadelink

Step 5:Put the .vbs data in the launcher folder.

Step 6:Open Steam as Admin

Step 7:Add SWTOR to Steam

Step 8:repeat Step 2 from renegadelink

Step 2 (steam):

- Open up steam and go to the menu option "Games" and click "Add a non-steam game to my library"

- Add "Star Wars the Old Republic" or browse to swtor's "launcher.exe" and add that.

- Now right-click the newly added game in steam's library, and click properties.

- Change the properties to match these:

> (Optional) Choose Icon: Browse to swtor's "launcher.exe" and select it

> (Optional) Name: Star Wars - The Old Republic

> (Required) Target: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "PUT FULLPATH TO steamswtor.vbs"

> here's a full example (the quotes are important):

Target: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs"

> (Required) Start In(the quotes are important): "C:\Windows\System32"

Step 9:add SWTOR to your favourite list (rightklick on SWTOR and add .......to favourites or something)^^

Step 10:Go to your game collection and play SWTOR with the Steam Overlay

Everything is working properly for me except for when I load in the game I come to a blank server list and don't go into character selection, so am unable to log into my server. Otherwise, the overlay works properly.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing everything explained here but doesnt work for me, I tryed both methods.

When I add the game to Steam, do all the changes and start it, work because both promt windows appear but when I hit play both disappear, game starts and everything working but dont have overlay; but Steam keeps saying that I'm running the game.

Any idea about what's happening?

Thanks in advance :D

I had the issue where the game would launch and the overlay stopped working and steam showed me as Online in blue text....

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO REMEMBER TO DO!!!!

> (Required) Target: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "PUT FULLPATH TO steamswtor.vbs"

MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN THE TARGET "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR IN YOUR DIRECTORY!!!

Example: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs

After I did that it worked flawlessly.

I had the issue where the game would launch and the overlay stopped working and steam showed me as Online in blue text....

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO REMEMBER TO DO!!!!

MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN THE TARGET "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR IN YOUR DIRECTORY!!!

Example: "C:\Windows\System32\cscript.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Star Wars - The Old Republic\steamswtor.vbs

After I did that it worked flawlessly.

I did every thing and didnt work, so I started to investigate and I founded the reason why everything it's ok but overlay doesnt appears.

It seems that the nVidia Optimus Technology included in laptops have some problems with Steam Overlay so we have to wait to nVidia or Steam to fix it.

• 1 month later...
Running Win7 64, if I run steam as admin, the script will launch TOR, but shift+tab doesn't open the overlay. If I run steam non-admin I after I launch TOR and click "Play" I get an "Unable to create temporary workspace file" error. Any idea what I should do? Edited by bloodatonement

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
It worked for me, but I have this odd problem where the Steam created shortcut on my desktop doesn't load anything. If I run it from the library page or even the task bar steam menu it loads, but not from the shortcut. Any thoughts?

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to add that this script is working flawlessly on windows 8.1 x64.

As everyone else has mentioned, jsut make sure the paths are correct. I was adding an 'S' into cscript.exe thinking it was cs script. As soon as I fixed it, it worked.

I had to do this after a fresh install of the game when for some reason I wasnt getting screenshots in cutscenes. I.I heard steam screenshot function works flawlessly...and so far it does!! I highly recommend it.

As an aside, left click on the title in your steam library and add a shortcut to desktop if you dont want to start it from the steam library everytime. That way it'll use the paths you provided in steam.

Works like a charm, big thankyou!!