Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Basically, the 1.7 sub touted isn't backed up by hard data, as the only numbers EA has put out is the quarter ending 12/31/11. I myself have subbed for a second month, and second month only. Other MMORPG that ended a failure had "record breaking" sales. Rift developers have claimed over 2 million active subs, yet the way they got that number was from the number of people that were posted in their forums (lawl).

That text means two things:

- All data was not collected at exactly the same moment the numbers were released, and can have some degree of uncertainty. It is as close they can get. It do not mean it is one month old numbers.

- They will not update those numbers continuously to reflect the situation in the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't guess I need to remind everyone that Rift had 1.2mil subs after the first month. Look at it now. Give the game 6 months, if it still has over a million subs it will be successful.

That's not true.

Rift had 1 million "accounts" the first month (which TOR had 2 million prior to even the early access).

Rift didn't hit 1 million subs until a few months later in August after a March release.

Edited by Scar

It's funny how some people believe these numbers to be true.

A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.

The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

Some people just have no idea how businesses these days operate.

Anyone who thinks this game held at least 85% of subscribers is nuts.

Do a quick test for those of you who are in large guilds.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.

Do you work for Enron?

A company can get numbers to look however they want to by adjusting the parameters of measurement.

The company I work for makes up numbers all the time to make things look good. The shareholders only want to see what looks good on paper, whether it's the truth or not.

What percentage of people are still playing in your guild. If the number is over 25% I'd be shocked.

It's also amusing how people brag online about doing illegal thing's to a group of strangers to try to counter an argument brought to solid investors and yet they still deny this as "padding" making up. It's as if they cannot accept this game will not do well without their express say so.

They're counting active subs as of now -- which means it's a mix of people who are in their free month (bought the game after 1/1) and people who are in their first paid month -- not necessarily retention amount.

No, they aren't.

Those types of press releases are for quarterly results - they are not results of actual real time that exact day and minute numbers. Please learn how companies conduct business. Invest in something at the very least so you can get reports of your own and realize that they are never about here and now, but what the company did over the last quarter.

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

You do the Math's. Stats for population, If above is true, Then Dam. What a shame.

You clearly don't understand what you're looking at if you think that data shows that the sky is falling. It shows that in the first month, server population over time started out at a massive spike and slowly dropped as it is stabilizing and finding its level. This is to be expected for all sorts of reasons, not least of which is that 2M units sold AT XMAS WHEN EVERYONE COULD SPEND ABOUT A WEEK OR SO PLAYING NON-STOP ALL AT THE SAME TIME. Attrition was about 300K, so 1.7M active subs are ongoing, but that means a slight drop in server populations is to be expected. That is what the graphs show. They don't show the end of the world as we know it.

I'm not hoping the game fails or anything, but 1.7 million subscriptions out of 2 million sales as pretty close to a 100% retention rate which I would find very hard to believe even for the most amazing of games.

yum pretty close to 100% retention would be 1.95 out of 2 million. In fact 1.7 out of 2 million is closer to 85% retention.

"Star Wars: The Old Republic is developing

a committed community of players with more than 1.7 million active subscribers

and growing,” said Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello.

That's straight from the EA press release. He said it's "growing." If you think he's lying, you should call the Securities and Exchange Commission, because that would be a criminal offense and he would be put in jail for lying to investors.

EDIT:

The conference call is in a few minutes. It's public and you can listen in for yourself if you're in disbelief:

Listeners may access the conference call live through

the following dial-in number: 773-799-3213 (domestic) or 888-677-1083

(international), using the password “EA” or via webcast at http://ir.ea.com.

Edited by nomaar

yum pretty close to 100% retention would be 1.95 out of 2 million. In fact 1.7 out of 2 million is closer to 85% retention.

I'll say it a 3rd time. Not everyone who buys a box registers a code the same day. A significant number of the 2 million sales have not registered a key yet.

lol you honestly believe a multi million dollar company won't falsify financial reports to investors in order for them to invest more money. Are you serious?

you know, they can't falsify financial reports. IT IS ILLEGAL.

Edited by Meluna

Yearly overall population graph for SW:TOR servers, How you get 2 mill, ?

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

Just under 300,000. or

300,000 mill. ? What ?

Not being Rude but please explain.

From MMO Junkie's FAQ on those graphs.

How does it interpret the data?
swtor.com server-status page marks all servers in a grade of 6 status flags;

•Light

•Standard

•Heavy

•Veary Heavy

•Full
We still don't know if Bioware marks flag-limits homogeneous, but it's still a good guess to assume them to be so. So we basically valuate these flags as;
•Offline - 0

•Light - 1

•Standard - 2

•Heavy - 3

•Veary Heavy - 4

•Full - 5
What does the graphs & numbers mean?
As our data source, server-status page basically flags servers instantaneous population, the generated graphs also represent instantaneous population changes.

Can I make guesses on overall subscription count based on these graphs?
No you shouldn't be relying on them to make so guesses. These graph purely relies on instantaneous server population values provided by Bioware, nothing more.

Herp de derp.

I operate in a business that has to rpeort figures like this to the city and I can tell you, as a matter of fact, that any company that reports false figures is libel to major criminal proceedings against the directors and other highup. EA ois just too big to risk a lie of that magnitude..

Of the 30 of us that came across from SWG, I can say hand on heart that only 2 have left. One because they didn't like the game and 1 due to personal life issues, who may or may not come back...

So that kind of kicks your 25% figure out of the park.

yes! because their bonuses depend on it.

what do you work the till at arby's and have never seen big business operate before?

ROFL.. I think I can actually see this guy sitting at his computer crying into his hands exclaiming "NO, It's not true!! It's impossible!!"....

Solid figures are solid.

That's not true.

Rift had 1 million "accounts" the first month (which TOR had 2 million prior to even the early access).

Rift didn't hit 1 million subs until a few months later in August after a March release.

LOL, its all the same. RIFT has tanked and is not even a year old yet. Was released in March 2011.

As I have said in another thread, summer will be the real test. If they can keep subs through the summer when people are not usually inside on their PC... then you can call it a success.

And for the people saying that the game has already broke even profit wise need a dose of reality on the cost of keeping a game like this running.

yes! because their bonuses depend on it.

what do you work the till at arby's and have never seen big business operate before?

People need to get a grip: that's not just a fireable offense: that's an SEC violation and jail time.

No, they aren't.

Those types of press releases are for quarterly results - they are not results of actual real time that exact day and minute numbers. Please learn how companies conduct business. Invest in something at the very least so you can get reports of your own and realize that they are never about here and now, but what the company did over the last quarter.

You are incorrect. A press release claiming 1.7M "active subscriptions" and using the word "CURRENT" would be fraudulent if it was referring to numbers from a month ago. Butu whatever. Belive what you want. Confirmation bias is an ugly thing...especially when yuo see normally rational people clinging so desperately and irrationally to the version of reality they've chosen to believe that they will go to great lengths to invent a rationalization as to why facts and numbers contrary to their chosen reality just magically aren't true or don't matter.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

Let's see those numbers come next month when the REAL truth will come out. People got sucked into subscribing for the first month. So what? What the hell is your point?

Next month is when we find out how this game is REALLY doing.