New(b) to RP

Natbrat

Hello! I'm a veteran of WoW and have been looking for a change of scenery. SWTOR was up for grabs at a local shopping center during Black Friday and I just couldn't pass up the deal. Even though I am not new to MMORPGS I am however new to RPing. When I played WoW I never joined an RP server, just your regular old PVE server. But like I said earlier, I'm looking for change. I'd like to RP but I don't know how to quite go about it. Do I need to know everything about Star Wars to do this? Or do I just pretend to be my class/race and just "wing it"? I'd really like as much feedback as possible, I'll join a group if it helps. Please and thanks!

-Natalie

You do not need to know the entire Star Wars universe to play your character. Of course it helps to have references and know the details of the lore, but mostly, what you need to RP is to put your character in situation and imagine how he/she would react to others.

Flesh out your character's history, motivations and personality traits, and play it out.

It really helps to join a group and as suggested above you should post in your server forum, I'm sure you'll get friendly people to welcome you in their groups.

Also keep in mind that you do not have to join a random RP guild just to find people to RP with. Most RP servers have private non-official forums where you can meet people and befriend people. That way you do not get stuck with a guild that does not fit your characters personality or traits but still find people to RP with.

ALOT of guilds look for what i like to call "freelance RPers" to fit into certain detailed storylines. Smugglers and Bounty Hunters are looked for alot I have noticed for freelance work. The openess of RP communities and the need for almost every character class at one point or another makes it 100% possible to find some RP scenarios even if you do not join a specific guild. All you have to do is look and ask around on these types of forums or here on the official forums under your server.

Keep in mind that the number one rule is to have fun...no stress just play your characters personality that you have come up with and go with it. Whatever you want to be and whoever you want to be it is entirely up to you. That is the great thing about RP servers...it is an escape from reality and allows you to forget whatever is going on in your real life (even if it is just for an hour or so) and allows you to enter this world where you can be/do whatever you want.

Edited by xNYROx

...it is an escape from reality and allows you to forget whatever is going on in your real life (even if it is just for an hour or so) and allows you to enter this world where you can be/do whatever you want.

And it truly is for an hour or so lol!

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Actually does sound like a lot of fun I think I've been missing out :<