Would you like to see a Droid class?

VioletZero

That uses droid parts as armor of course.

Although I do have a few spreadsheets and stuff lying around for a potential new class that would fit with the style of a Battle droid, I don't really have the systems figured yet.

I think it has potential for stories when you're being seen as a machine or a tool than a person. And you could either build up your infamy as an unstoppable killing machine or a sentient representative of droids everywhere.

But the question I have is this: Would you like to role play a battle droid?

Any suggestions for how this class would work would be much welcomed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's asking for a class, not a race, at least that's what the title suggests - in which case, romances and such wouldnt be a problem, as they simply wouldnt be included in the droid's class quests.

As for the droid being a companion rather than a leader... that's debatable, but you're right in that it doesnt make much sense for humanoids/aliens to follow a droid as companions. The obvious fix for this is to give the droid class a bunch of droid companions instead of 'living' companions.

I do think it'd be an interesting class to play, though.

Possible companions for such a class could be animals, a Nexu for example.

And when you say it like that, all I could think about was HK-47, something along those lines.. The biggest problem I would see is customization, both in character creation and in-game equipment(but that can be fixed).

Otherwise I like the idea~ Could have one melee and one ranged advanced classes, names for those ACs I will not try to think about.

Possible companions for such a class could be animals, a Nexu for example.

And when you say it like that, all I could think about was HK-47, something along those lines.. The biggest problem I would see is customization, both in character creation and in-game equipment(but that can be fixed).

Otherwise I like the idea~ Could have one melee and one ranged advanced classes, names for those ACs I will not try to think about.

Utility droid and Combat droid as the two ACs? Also, I think droid companions fit better than animals.

So, the basic class would be "Droid", there could be 2 or 3 different 'race' options to provide the player with different types of chassis' to choose from (Big bulky look, protocol droid look, assassin droid look, etc.). I'd use heat or power/energy as the class resource.

Basic Class Abilities:

-Heavy Armor / Droid Armor

-Blaster Pistol

-'Modes', similar to jedi 'stances' that change how you fight, I'd probably have two modes for the base class:

Repair Mode: increases hitpoint regeneration in and out of combat, reduces damage dealt

Combat Mode: increases damage dealt

1st Advanced Class: Utility Droid - hybrid healer / tank

-Gains proficiency: shield generators

-Gains two 'modes':

Sentry Mode: Increases threat generation, armor, and sheild chance, reduces healing by 50%

Maintenance Mode: Increases healing dealt, reduces threat generated, increases resource regeneration rate

-Gains healing abilities

-Gains high threat damage abilities

-Gains defensive abilities

Utility droids would have much lower damage than any other class, but much higher survivability due to the combination of healing and tanking in one AC (which we dont see with any other class).

Talent Tree 1: Support Protocols - provides healing bonuses

Talent Tree 2: Defensive Protocols- provides tanking bonuses

Talent Tree 3 (shared): Advanced Programming - provides damage over time abilities and self-buffs

2nd Advanced Class: Combat Droid - Damage dealer

-Gains proficiencies: Blaster Rifles, Assault Cannons, Techblades, Techstaffs

-Gains two 'modes':

Siege Mode: Increases damage dealt with blaster pistols, blaster rifles, and assault cannons, reduces energy damage taken by 10%

Assassination Mode: Increases damage dealt with techblades and techstaffs, reduces kinetic damage taken by 10%

-Gains damage abilities with both ranged and melee weapons

A damage dealer that can alternate (out of combat) between melee and ranged roles.

Talent Tree 1: Assault Protocols - provides ranged combat bonuses

Talent Tree 2: Assassination Protocols - provides melee combat bonuses

Talent Tree 3 (shared): Advanced Programming - provides damage over time abilities and self-buffs

For the class' five companions...

1. Utility Droid (like t7), healer-type companion

-. Ship Droid (protocol droid used by either faction)

2. Probe Droid (like the imperial probe droids), ranged damage-dealer companion

3. Guard Droid (like those used near imperial and republic bases), melee tank companion

4. Assassination Droid (similar to hk-57 models or scorpio), melee damage-dealer companion

5. War Droid (Like m1-4x or similar three/four legged heavy war droids used by either faction), Ranged tank companion

Not as a race option for sure. But as a class, expansion class, I could see it work.

Could be an interesting storyline honestly, perhaps have you start off with a master and eventually and slowly claiming some independence. Companions would probably solely have to be other droids though. Or alternatively you could have a ship with your master on it, who eventually dies or some such which would explain why a Droid would have a ship.

I could see it work, but not as a race option because there is no way the current stories would work if the main character was a droid.

Edited by Haasth

Utility droid and Combat droid as the two ACs? Also, I think droid companions fit better than animals.

So, the basic class would be "Droid", there could be 2 or 3 different 'race' options to provide the player with different types of chassis' to choose from (Big bulky look, protocol droid look, assassin droid look, etc.). I'd use heat or power/energy as the class resource.

Basic Class Abilities:

-Heavy Armor / Droid Armor

-Blaster Pistol

-'Modes', similar to jedi 'stances' that change how you fight, I'd probably have two modes for the base class:

Repair Mode: increases hitpoint regeneration in and out of combat, reduces damage dealt

Combat Mode: increases damage dealt

1st Advanced Class: Utility Droid - hybrid healer / tank

-Gains proficiency: shield generators

-Gains two 'modes':

Sentry Mode: Increases threat generation, armor, and sheild chance, reduces healing by 50%

Maintenance Mode: Increases healing dealt, reduces threat generated, increases resource regeneration rate

-Gains healing abilities

-Gains high threat damage abilities

-Gains defensive abilities

Utility droids would have much lower damage than any other class, but much higher survivability due to the combination of healing and tanking in one AC (which we dont see with any other class).

Talent Tree 1: Support Protocols - provides healing bonuses

Talent Tree 2: Defensive Protocols- provides tanking bonuses

2nd Advanced Class: Combat Droid - Damage dealer

-Gains proficiencies: Blaster Rifles, Assault Cannons, Techblades, Techstaffs

-Gains two 'modes':

Siege Mode: Increases damage dealt with blaster pistols, blaster rifles, and assault cannons, reduces energy damage taken by 10%

Assassination Mode: Increases damage dealt with techblades and techstaffs, reduces kinetic damage taken by 10%

-Gains damage abilities with both ranged and melee weapons

A damage dealer that can alternate (out of combat) between melee and ranged roles.

Talent Tree 1: Assault Protocols - provides ranged combat bonuses

Talent Tree 2: Assassination Protocols - provides melee combat bonuses

For the class' five companions...

1. Utility Droid (like t7), healer-type companion

-. Ship Droid (protocol droid used by either faction)

2. Probe Droid (like the imperial probe droids), ranged damage-dealer companion

3. Guard Droid (like those used near imperial and republic bases), melee tank companion

4. Assassination Droid (similar to hk-57 models or scorpio), melee damage-dealer companion

5. War Droid (Like m1-4x or similar three/four legged heavy war droids used by either faction), Ranged tank companion

This whole thing fails to keep the whole you cant tank and heal with the same class.

might wanna split that up, making one a melee and one a ranged.

He's asking for a class, not a race, at least that's what the title suggests - in which case, romances and such wouldnt be a problem, as they simply wouldnt be included in the droid's class quests.

As for the droid being a companion rather than a leader... that's debatable, but you're right in that it doesnt make much sense for humanoids/aliens to follow a droid as companions. The obvious fix for this is to give the droid class a bunch of droid companions instead of 'living' companions.

I do think it'd be an interesting class to play, though.

I think that's where the story element comes in.

At first, maybe your companion would just be another droid or maybe a (crazy) mechanic who believes droids are the future. And then slowly, but surely, people start realizing how competent you are as a leader despite being a droid.

Guys how would you have a twilek or human Droid? It'd obviously have to be a race with class restrictions o.o

This was, essentially, my point in my earlier post.

It makes ZERO sense for it to be a class unless you're like Robocop or something.

It would have to be a race that does not have the luxury of selecting a class.

Oh and when you said play a Droid I immediately thought of how cool it would be to be a battle Droid and ha e your mount be you rolling :)

Autobots, ROLL OUT!

Edited by Faolon

I could see it one of two ways...

1) Make it a race, that can be any non-Force using class.

2) Make it a race, with its own specific class(es).

1 wouldn't work because Droids are viewed very differently compared to organics.

2 is personally what I am suggesting. Droid would be its own race and own class.

When droids go long enough without a memory wipe, they start to develop very unique personalities.

Also, it could be an experiment. Testing how giving droids personalities on purpose would turn out.

The Sirius Cybernetics Corporation could invent a concept called Genuine People Personalities (GPP) which imbue their products with intelligence and emotion.

Then your droid could be anything they wanted to be... except use the Force.

IG-88 was a Bounty Hunter.

The typical battle droid could be seen as a Trooper.

Sophisticated assassin droid could be an Agent.

And a droid who stole his owner's ship and went... Solo... could be a Scoundrel.

However, I do think the "race/class unto itself" works better. Classes are somewhat regulated by the gear they can or can't use. If a squishy class could wear heavy armor (as most droid parts are) they wouldn't be as squishy.

Back in the old pen and paper days, we had an assassin droid who could swap chassis. So it could be R2 today, and 3P0 tomorrow...

I can't see how it would work with the existing side quests, since droids don't have any civil rights and an unclaimed droid can be taken by anyone, much like a slave.

Thus, I can't see either side trusting you with the kind of stuff the story does.

I can't see how it would work with the existing side quests, since droids don't have any civil rights and an unclaimed droid can be taken by anyone, much like a slave.

Thus, I can't see either side trusting you with the kind of stuff the story does.

The same way that a droid can become a gang boss or a renowned bounty hunter(Both of which are in TOR).

Certain droids become reputable and well known for their exploits.

Edited by VioletZero

The same way that a droid can become a gang boss or a renowned bounty hunter(Both of which are in TOR).

Certain droids become reputable and well known for their exploits.

To be honest, IG-88 won't be around for 3000 years, as far as our characters are concerned.

The Old Republic era, there was obviously a lot of acceptable slavery going on. My Inquisitor was a Force sensitive slave who passed the trials. My Warrior was "given" a slave just before setting off from Korriban.

So the rights of droids is a fair point.

A Jedi walks up and says "I'm here representing the Republic, and you need to..." and people listen.

An Imperial Agent does the same, and also gets respect.

A droid walks up demanding changes in your village's policies, and they're going to say "Did this microwave oven just tell me what to do?"

Still, it would be an interesting concept. Maybe they'll get around to it someday. =)

Edited by seven_deadlies

To be honest, IG-88 won't be around for 3000 years, as far as our characters are concerned.

The Old Republic era, there was obviously a lot of acceptable slavery going on. My Inquisitor was a Force sensitive slave who passed the trials. My Warrior was "given" a slave just before setting off from Korriban.

So the rights of droids is a fair point.

A Jedi walks up and says "I'm here representing the Republic, and you need to..." and people listen.

An Imperial Agent does the same, and also gets respect.

A droid walks up demanding changes in your village's policies, and they're going to say "Did this microwave oven just tell me what to do?"

Still, it would be an interesting concept. Maybe they'll get around to it someday. =)

If it was a droid who is the main character of a class story, I think they'd be more like "Holy crap! It's that one droid! We've heard a lot about you."

If it was a droid who is the main character of a class story, I think they'd be more like "Holy crap! It's that one droid! We've heard a lot about you."

*Ion gun fires*

"Now to affix this restraining bolt, and see what you're going for on eBay..."

Yeah, something like that

lol