[PVP] So.....people keep telling me powertech is much better than mercs in pvp...

Eterud

As the title says:

People keep telling me that powertech's are much stronger in pvp than mercenaries.

My question is: Why is that exactly?

as far as I see mercs do pretty well in pvp.

They, mercs, have relatively weak armor and best attacks are bit slow. In practice this means they are more effective from range. Way Mercs is done that it tries to push opponents further away for protection.

Powertechs/Vanguards are on the other hand just the opposite. They about same damage but they pull opponents near them and have one the best, if not best, armors in game.

In practice this means that if you got good opponents mercs have disadvantage. Because good opponents will with numbers try to push near every ranged class. Its pretty hard to keep distance to jedis/siths. On the other hand powerteachs/vanguards try actively to pull targets or push near them to maximize their damage: that the way their mechanics work. They don't suffer from it.

So basically in hard hitting messy situation powertechs are just far easier to play and survive bit longer at average. They are more on the top situation because its more natural enviroment for them.

Mercs work best when they have space and range to shoot but good opponents try to negate it. And it isn't exactly hard in game where there is lot of jedis/siths with leap abilities. :)

As the title says:

People keep telling me that powertech's are much stronger in pvp than mercenaries.

I have both a Vanguard and Commando (and I'm definitely one of the better PvP DPS commandos), and I can basically boil it down to one major difference - the ability to apply damage whilst under attack. Because the standard vanguard/PT rotation is ALL instant cast attacks, the damage output doesn't drop nearly as much as the merc's when being focused. Differences in class mechanics mean that a top PT can do about 15% more damage over a warzone compared to a top Merc.

Add to this the significant utility of a pull making the ability essentially a team requirement in huttball (whether provided by a 'sin or PT), and it is not hard to see why PTs are viewed far more favourably.

As the title says:

In a nutshell, powertech main attacks are instant, mercenary main attacks are a 1.5 second cast. This is a major disadvantage, and is offset by having a 20 yard longer range on most things.

Unfortunately, most classes have ways to close that 20 yard gap near instantly (charge, pull, sprint, damage immunity/evasion while bridging the gap, and so on) and the mercenary lacks effective tools to get away after someone ends up in melee. They have 1 melee ranged root, and 1 melee ranged knockback which adds a snare and potentially also has a root. And once in melee your casts will be interrupted etc. and you get annihilated or at the very least your damage output drops greatly. It's not impossible to win 1 on 1's obviously, but a mercenary is pretty much always at a disadvantage no matter which class they face.

Edited by LordExozone

The other factors in play here are that the PT/Vanguard has an additional stun (and an AoE one at that) which the Merc/Commando does not have. And the PT/Vanguard has an ability that boosts critical hit chances by 25% for both ranged and tech attacks. The PT/Vanguard also has an ability that procs CGC with a 100% probability. Those combine to give the PT/Vanguard substantially better burst that the Merc/Commando. Finally the PT/Vanguard gets two taunts - abilities that are often forgotten. But a skilled PT/Vanguard will be able to add 10-25% to his total productivity output using those abilities since they have 30m range, nicely filling in a hole in his capabilities.

i have both AC classes on both factions, yeah im a fan of this class :) tbh i've seen many good commando/merc dps pvpers (honestly im not one of them:)) but still it's unfortunate that vanguard/powertech does better job with less effort (compared to mercenary/commando). on the other hand it's fun to burst flames to your opponent in close combat is fun "Dodge This!" :):)

Powertechs do alot more damage since their attacks are instant and Mercs are mostly cast times. Though, if both were left alone to damage they'd probably do near enough the same. I prefer Mercenarys, they just feel better.

Mercs also get a healing tree if you feel like switching it up a little. Powertechs get a tank tree, but tanking in PvP is pretty useless unless your an Assassin.

Though.. Mercenarys are really bad in PvP DPS wise at the moment, so I'd expect to see a buff with the upcoming expansion but who knows...

My main is a Merc and I have played both advanced classes in PvP and PvE. Right after I gave Merc a try it killed enemies in PvE about 2 times quicker. And PvP, I usually go in the top 3 on my team. I really don't know why there is so much hate on Mercs. The armor IS THE SAME PEOPLE. Both wear heavy armor. Quite honestly, in PvP against force-users 1v1 it is about 40/60, but against non-force users it is like 80/20. Also in FPs, you can play healer OR DPS, not just Tank cause let us just all face the fact that 2 is better than 1.

My main is a Merc and I have played both advanced classes in PvP and PvE. Right after I gave Merc a try it killed enemies in PvE about 2 times quicker. And PvP, I usually go in the top 3 on my team. I really don't know why there is so much hate on Mercs. The armor IS THE SAME PEOPLE. Both wear heavy armor. Quite honestly, in PvP against force-users 1v1 it is about 40/60, but against non-force users it is like 80/20. Also in FPs, you can play healer OR DPS, not just Tank cause let us just all face the fact that 2 is better than 1.

We are talking about PVP first of all. And armor is not a huge factor because it doesnt mitigate internal tech damage. Also having to stop and cast is a death sentence in pvp. 10-49, people leave you alone for the most part, at lvl 50 most actually use interrupts and there is nothing a merc can do when focused on.

Though.. Mercenarys are really bad in PvP DPS wise at the moment, so I'd expect to see a buff with the upcoming expansion but who knows...

So, the thirty plus kill count I dropped with my merc before even reaching level 20 must have been just me tripping, strange. I shall need to look into this matter at a future point in time.

Sarcasm aside, basically what everyone else is saying. Mercs kind of take more problems close range with their channeled moves, however, have absolutely brilliant crowd control, which is the counter to this dilema.

From my personal experience, it is less about taking hits and more about controlling the eb and flow of things. Watching the field, looking for key targets to eliminate, and managing the distance between you and opponents are the key factors. I've even been able to drop even level 40 Jedi Guardians/Juggernaughts with my combustible gas tanks using common sense and proper field control tactics. (Scaled warzone, but considering they had higher ranked abilities and like a 20 skillpoint advantage...)

Though, it probably is harder for non Combustion using mercs. The "Sweltering Heat," passive, believe it or not, can be quite the lifesaver in the event of a rabid jedi attack.

Short version, like every class, it comes down to the person playing it a large majority of the time. Mercs have immense offensive potential but they work at maximum strength over long range. Not to hard to believe as that is their entire "thing." Powertechs get close combat abilities and immense tanking potential. Mercs sacrifice the ability to use a shield, as well as close combat effectiveness for an asininely effective long range offense along with the ability to heal.

So, the thirty plus kill count I dropped with my merc before even reaching level 20 must have been just me tripping, strange. I shall need to look into this matter at a future point in time.

Sarcasm aside, basically what everyone else is saying. Mercs kind of take more problems close range with their channeled moves, however, have absolutely brilliant crowd control, which is the counter to this dilema.

From my personal experience, it is less about taking hits and more about controlling the eb and flow of things. Watching the field, looking for key targets to eliminate, and managing the distance between you and opponents are the key factors. I've even been able to drop even level 40 Jedi Guardians/Juggernaughts with my combustible gas tanks using common sense and proper field control tactics. (Scaled warzone, but considering they had higher ranked abilities and like a 20 skillpoint advantage...)

Mje I believe that pre-50 sorcerers are the strongest class with mercenaries as second.

When I was a level 20 merc I did constantly over 160k damage in warzones. sadly as level 50...I do less xD

I started finding problems weirldy enough after level 40. while people should become better (since of more abilities/better gear) I actually became worse..

Though, it probably is harder for non Combustion using mercs. The "Sweltering Heat," passive, believe it or not, can be quite the lifesaver in the event of a rabid jedi attack.

Short version, like every class, it comes down to the person playing it a large majority of the time. Mercs have immense offensive potential but they work at maximum strength over long range. Not to hard to believe as that is their entire "thing." Powertechs get close combat abilities and immense tanking potential. Mercs sacrifice the ability to use a shield, as well as close combat effectiveness for an asininely effective long range offense along with the ability to heal.

I wonder where your thing comes from with mercenaries having a lot of crowd control.

as far as I see, a mercenary has: 1 stun of 4 seconds, 1 stun of 60 seconds-but that heals the target, 1 interrupt. and depending on the spec a non-controlable slow.

even my marauder has better CC ^_^

But here's the problem... they don't have brilliant crowd control.

Merc has a 10m stun, a knockback, and a 30m cast mezz. There's nothing brilliant about that at all. The stun is on a long CD. The knockback's CD is longer than any gap closer's (so a melee can leap back on you before your knockback is ready again, assuming they were dumb enough to leap to you in the first place). The mezz can have its cast interrupted.

Merc has almost no real ability to keep a determined melee at range, and get absolutelys decimated by melee classes in general with their short CD interrupts (and all the other jazz like stuns, mezzes, and such).

Pyro fares best due to a lower reliance on channels/casts, but Pyro Merc is still inferior to Pyro PT.

Mje I believe that pre-50 sorcerers are the strongest class with mercenaries as second.

When I was a level 20 merc I did constantly over 160k damage in warzones. sadly as level 50...I do less xD

Sorcs/Sages are quite strong in lowbie. Their damage scales very well with the bolster system, and if they're competent they can be quite dangerous.

However.

The strongest class pre-50 is still Powertech. It blooms just as early as Merc, and at no time is it inferior.

The only thing that makes Merc good under 50 is fewer people hunting them as free kills. When someone is smart enough to recognize that a Merc is dangerous when left alone but complete Jello if pressured, they are just as terrible in lowbie as they are at 50.

In lowbie, the person at the keyboard matters more than the class, but PT is the easiest to do big, *useful* damage on for the same reasons as at 50. Sorcs will have big scoreboard numbers due to AoE spam, and the good ones *are* downright dangerous, but when it comes to utter faceroll slaughter, PT is the king.

Wow, so much miss information in this thread it's amazing.(didn't read last few posts first few were too much)

Pretty much the reason Powertech's are better in PvP is burst. They arguably have the highest burst in the game.

The other reason is a Merc can be shut down completely by just having one person attack him and interrupt the right abilities.

neither class can escape from a fight once they've engaged, but a PT can out damage most classes and come out on top even starting as low as 50% hp. Where as i stated before 1 person on a merc chances are the merc is shut down completely.

just to clear some things up Merc's and BH both wear the SAME HEAVY ARMOR. Then i think it was the last guy on the first page.... 2 is better than one,what he was saying is a merc has two choices heals or dps and he says the pt can only tank... the elusive 31/31/31 pt tank OP face roll tree i assume he speaking of doing 2k dps and not taking any dmg.

They, mercs, have relatively weak armor and best attacks are bit slow. In practice this means they are more effective from range. Way Mercs is done that it tries to push opponents further away for protection.

Powertechs/Vanguards are on the other hand just the opposite. They about same damage but they pull opponents near them and have one the best, if not best, armors in game.

In practice this means that if you got good opponents mercs have disadvantage. Because good opponents will with numbers try to push near every ranged class. Its pretty hard to keep distance to jedis/siths. On the other hand powerteachs/vanguards try actively to pull targets or push near them to maximize their damage: that the way their mechanics work. They don't suffer from it.

So basically in hard hitting messy situation powertechs are just far easier to play and survive bit longer at average. They are more on the top situation because its more natural enviroment for them.

Mercs work best when they have space and range to shoot but good opponents try to negate it. And it isn't exactly hard in game where there is lot of jedis/siths with leap abilities. :)

weak armor? What are you talking about? Both classes have the same defensive abilities and wear heavy armor.

PT vs merc is a joke unless the player behind the merc is really good. i will say this though, ever WZ i have ever played in i absolutely wreck commandos/mercs on my PT. they are free kills. once in a great while a merc/commando will get me, but they are few and very far inbetween.

Get an extra 60% armor reduction on rail shot.

Pull. enough said.

Aoe stun.

flame burst 100% proc for CGC. with garenteed 30% slow attached.

PvP-wise, Pyrotech PT and merc are about equal.

PT has to be in close range to deal most of its damage, which doesn't work against CC-heavy groups.

Merc isn't all-instant, but close to it in fact (even interrupted, Unload triggers the free rail shot and Powershot isn't that important).

Support-wise, PT is a bit better with its Carbonite flow, Grapple being better than merc's bump only in huttball and a little worse everywhere else (works quite well as a mass interrupt tool).

Overall, I'd still prefer to have a Shieldtech PT along with a Pyrotech merc (and a Bodyguard merc, too, anyone should know it's probably the best PvP healer despite what end-match numbers say), to balance ranged/melee dps, because of these *********** exploding bubbles negating most of the melee dps.

I do well on my Merc. So well in fact that many people hate me.

Many melee classes have told me that I am the best Merc they have faced.

It has full EWH gear and I've played up to 100 Valor.

My VG has worse equipment but outperforms my Merc by a large margin.

I do more damage and have much more control over a fight.

Both Pyro equivalent.

Edited by Briggs_Knightly

PvP-wise, Pyrotech PT and merc are about equal.

PT has to be in close range to deal most of its damage, which doesn't work against CC-heavy groups.

Merc isn't all-instant, but close to it in fact (even interrupted, Unload triggers the free rail shot and Powershot isn't that important).

Support-wise, PT is a bit better with its Carbonite flow, Grapple being better than merc's bump only in huttball and a little worse everywhere else (works quite well as a mass interrupt tool).

Overall, I'd still prefer to have a Shieldtech PT along with a Pyrotech merc (and a Bodyguard merc, too, anyone should know it's probably the best PvP healer despite what end-match numbers say), to balance ranged/melee dps, because of these *********** exploding bubbles negating most of the melee dps.

So much fail here...

Shieldtech PT is the WORST PVP tank. It's awful, just awful. It lacks the mobility and versatility of Juggy, and lacks the insane utility of Assassin (especially hybrid build). It lacks badly in the defensive CD department as well. Plus, it does absolute squat for damage.

PT is FAR stronger than Merc, because current game design makes it shockingly easy to be within 10m of the action (where PT is absurdly lethal). Keeping 30m of range is generally difficult for all classes, but especially so for Mercenary due to lack of reliable ranged roots/snares or any sort of escape mechanism.

PT is insanely easy to be effective on even in current bubble stun metagame. The only thing PT can't do 10m away (and safely out of bubble stun range) is Rocket Punch. It's not hard to pop a bubble, dart in to RP for a PPA proc, and back off again. Plus, with all of PT's burst, killing targets and/or popping bubbles is ezpz.

Powertech Pyro is one of the specs at the very top of the current PVP metagame. Mercenary in general is basically at the bottom. Heals are in the best shape (especially when guarded) due to pure sturdiness, but both DPS specs are complete chump change (Pyro isn't awful, but it's so much worse than PT Pyro it's not funny).

So much fail here...

Shieldtech PT is the WORST PVP tank. It's awful, just awful. It lacks the mobility and versatility of Juggy, and lacks the insane utility of Assassin (especially hybrid build). It lacks badly in the defensive CD department as well. Plus, it does absolute squat for damage.

PT is FAR stronger than Merc, because current game design makes it shockingly easy to be within 10m of the action (where PT is absurdly lethal). Keeping 30m of range is generally difficult for all classes, but especially so for Mercenary due to lack of reliable ranged roots/snares or any sort of escape mechanism.

PT is insanely easy to be effective on even in current bubble stun metagame. The only thing PT can't do 10m away (and safely out of bubble stun range) is Rocket Punch. It's not hard to pop a bubble, dart in to RP for a PPA proc, and back off again. Plus, with all of PT's burst, killing targets and/or popping bubbles is ezpz.

Powertech Pyro is one of the specs at the very top of the current PVP metagame. Mercenary in general is basically at the bottom. Heals are in the best shape (especially when guarded) due to pure sturdiness, but both DPS specs are complete chump change (Pyro isn't awful, but it's so much worse than PT Pyro it's not funny).

This. IF you want to PVP effectivly as a merc i would go heals. i love how people say all day that OP and sorc heals are better than a merc healer. its the player behind the healer. merc heals are amazing as long as you are a decent heat manager.

my merc at lvl34 got 400k and change heals in a novare coast. ive never seen any other class pre50 get 400k heals before, let alone on a novare coast.

merc heals=very strong.

merc dps=lacking

Heh... I made a vanguard (republic side's PT) as my main is merc..

And I'm shocked how much stronger it is...

I thought that my merc was pretty strong in pvp...but when I started to do warzones on my level 10 PT......I got shocked. did at level 10 more damage done and a better kill/death ratio already than I've ever did on my merc (450k damage done at level 10, rofl)

The only classes I got problems with so far while levelling my PT are actually marauders, that being said my PT is so far level 15 only ..

(pre-50 mara's where pretty much the only class that I could kill for free as mercenary)

weak armor? What are you talking about? Both classes have the same defensive abilities and wear heavy armor.

No they dont have actually. Yeah armor is same but you can always popup Ion Shield with Vanguard/PT thas has quite lot added damage migtation. And it does matter because in some cases its like 15-20 % less damage than merc.

To make matters worse PT has actually in middle three other abilities that about 4% more damage migtation + when stunned 20%-30%(if I recall right)., Top of that you get AOE and single attack that can both decrease damage done by foes 5%. When you add those up there is noi comparision between AC's what comes to protection

Merc is simply lot worst off but is attacked as much as PT in melee range,

Edited by Jetflair