Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Well the fat lady is a-singin'. Thanks for killing the game EA.. I knew it in my gut, way back when you bought Bioware, that you would soon turn Bioware into Biofail. Congrats, Mission Accomplished..

If it wasnt for EA, this game would've succeeded. No doubt about it.

Edited by LlorPuBreh

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the fat lady is a-singin'. Thanks for killing the game EA.. I knew it in my gut, way back when you bought Bioware, that you would soon turn Bioware into Biofail. Congrats, Mission Accomplished..

If it wasnt for EA, this game would've succeeded. No doubt about it.

It is more like ByeOwhere. Bye as in everybody unsubbing and Owhere as in all of the Suits saying "Owhere has everybody gone."

Edited by Tuscad

First of all you really should focus on the paying players now, raise the level cap to at least 100 so the people who pay get the most advantages and do they pay for the game and just not the subscription cost or is it just free overall? :mad:

Executive Producer Jeff Hickman addresses the fans about our Free-to-Play announcement:

Read More

Now we will get to see every type of pain in the *** player who wants to join this game. Including gold(credit) seller/spammers etc. I sure hope Bioware has a plan to deal with this crap.

Not sure I'll continue playing SWTOR when it goes free to play. Quality of players will decline with it.

If they made the level restriction that WOW has then maybe...at least that would keep our upper levels and end game more to what we'd expect,

I am not surprised by this- and not because of the whole TOR is "not doing well" idea. I've seen other games go with this hybrid model and actually not only do better financially, but be able to do more about improving the game.

My only concern is really is when are you guys going to add in same-gender romance options. That is a big reason for why I've played the game. I really don't care for the new companion as the HK's were never my favorites in KOTOR.

I'm with you...I wish they would tell us when they plan on putting Same gender relationship options into the game. I've been wanting to have my female Sith Warrior romance her female companions.

so............what About the Cathar you promised?

YES!! Thank you..some one said it....when the heck are we going to get to play as Cathar's like it was said a month or so ago!? I haven't heard anything new about it since Bioware announced that they would be making the Cathar a playable race.

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

I agree with this post.

Excellent decision Bioware, I applaud you and look forward to what you provide for the players.

I for one will continue to subscribe so that I can enjoy everything the game has to offer and get the perks that come with it. I have been a subscriber since Day 1 of Early Access with the Collector's Edition. I enjoy the game and the content you provide, despite what all the haters and trolls have to say (every day) about how "terrible" the game is.

I believe this new model is an acknowledgement of the changing business model of online gaming and reflects the best way to approach the market now.

My same thoughts on the issue. I already play one game that does this and it works just fine. Other major MMO's are moving to this and I can only imagine that if EA/BW didn't make this change, the haters would be beating their annoyance drums again with "Why didn't you go with F2P? It would have saved SWTOR!"

i think that the people that have a founders account and/or a collecrers ed should have a life time subscription when the free 2 play comes out.rether the the monthly tokens that u get. but make it to where there are some idems that u could buy in the store if u would like. just an idea 2 through out there. ty for your time Edited by deatheyez

First of all you really should focus on the paying players now, raise the level cap to at least 100 so the people who pay get the most advantages and do they pay for the game and just not the subscription cost or is it just free overall? :mad:

I agree a little. In my humble opinion they should definitely have to at least buy the game so that they can play free. As far as raising level cap to 100, I feel they should raise it to 60 within a month or two of releasing the free to play. That gives them the time they need to make worth while content for the people who pay. Also I feel they should NOT allow the F2P player base to take advantage of this increase in level at least until there is yet another increase in level cap. E.g. level cap is 70 or 80, then F2P level cap is 60, etc.

EDIT: I just talked a bit with my wife. We had a good discussion about what can be done about the division that is being caused by this subject. We feel it is a good idea to have some servers set up, even if just 1 per server type, that only allow paying players and the rest be mixed or some such arrangement. Please provide feedback... anyone.

I support your decision Bioware. True fans of The Old Republic universe will continue to pay and support.

For those of you here that are declaring that Bioware has killed the game: You've only made a prediction at this point. I believe that prediction to be poorly founded at best and look forward to seeing this game alive and doing well ten years down the road.

Edited by Supercaboose

I will no longer be playing SWTOR as the Quality of Gamers that migrate to "free to play" are the worst in the MMO genre. Thank you Bioware and EA for messing up yet another game. . .I.. A big middle finger to all of the SWTOR haters that made SWTOR the game it is today. I looking at you GameBreaker tv.

Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.

Sorry, I have to say this because I think it's funny... Asheron's Call will likely still be free to play in 2 years :D

For those of you about to ask, yes I play AC also.

well I have no real knowledge, but maybe now the unlock of other races will be purchasable . it will be the deep pockets that can get the good stuff. not saying there will NOT be a way in game to unlock, it is just the new "markets" will allow me to spend my money to get the QOL stuff i want,on the City of heroes forums one person told how when that game went F2P he spent 500.00 buying points for his two accounts. while his is on the extreame end of the purchasing, the people who spend maybe 20.00 every few months is the more norm. let me say I am NOT saying this is wrong in anyway,just relaying things i have seen.

I dont understand why there is a great deal of negative comments, yeah i understand the free the play might not be the best idea as it has done some damage to previous MMO's, but in all fairness this game is slowly dieing, each day less and less people are online and its a shame. the game has a brilliant storyline and endless amount of entertainment. im all for the F2P at least we'll get some more people into the game. as long as F2P allows whispers and flashpoints, and grouping im happy.

I dont understand why there is a great deal of negative comments, yeah i understand the free the play might not be the best idea as it has done some damage to previous MMO's, but in all fairness this game is slowly dieing, each day less and less people are online and its a shame. the game has a brilliant storyline and endless amount of entertainment. im all for the F2P at least we'll get some more people into the game. as long as F2P allows whispers and flashpoints, and grouping im happy.

the problem is that F2P is not a solution that actually benefits gamers in the long run. it benefits shareholders and focus groups.

All of the links people keep posting in defense of F2P all say the same thing: F2P means more revenue for EA.

I have seen nothing, NOTHING, that supports an overall increase in game play experience for gamers outside of more readily available vanity options and P2W items. (yes, I am aware that we do no know yet what the Cartel store has to offer, thusly we can only make our projections based upon previous experience and other MMOs that have gone F2P).

Subscribers were dropping and saying "didn't want to pay the monthly fee" because they did not feel that they were receiving their monies worth any more, not because they wanted the game to go F2P. However, thanks to marketing "geniuses," "analysts," and "professionals," former subscriber complaints translated into "LETS GO F2P!!!"

,,, bollucks.

Edited by nakoda

Wow! people were seriously not paying attention when they first caught wind of the F2P thing. They took it so personal too, like everything they don't agree with was bioware trying to be spiteful directly t them or something. honestly though, you guys need to cool off a bit. if you don't think it's worth $15 a month to keep playing after this decision then just go, don't try to drag everyone else with you. true fans of the star wars universe will stay and continue to make sure the game is great. we don't need people who are constantly going to drag us and the developers down. On that note congrats to all the true fans who are willing to stay and continue making the game awesome. I seriously can't help but look forward to getting home from work each night and getting on to meet up with my guild and the fans who do the most contributing to the game in a constructive manner are all to thank for it!

I have seen nothing, NOTHING, that supports an overall increase in game play experience for gamers outside of more readily available vanity options and P2W items.

Well said mate. This whole new business thing is doing my head in and I'm sick of hearing how this will either bring in more subscribers or make EA more money because of the 'new MMO business models'.

I couldn't give a **** tbh..

All I want to know is what new content is coming and how much better the game will be... Stop throwing the idea of us spending money in our faces EA, we want a better gaming experience from gaming not from wasting money...

Gotta say Im not thrilled by this announcement. I think F2P will kill SWTOR in multiple ways, including pissing off the subscribers by now allowing the pain in the asses of the world hop on the game, screw with everyone, then leave.

Also, what exactly am I paying for? I've been a constant sub since launch, I want to know what exactly is in it for subs, not a vague

I want to know that flashpoints, operations, warzones, and GTN are subs only. They should not be left open to the public.

Well they have stated what exactly is included in subscriptions on the sight, you just have to actually go look at it. just off the top of my head i believe they said operations are sub only, endgame items are sub only. subs don't have to purchase cartel tokens, we get a certain amount per month plus what we get from being subscribed since the beginning in addition to the extra you get if you bought the collector's edition. after that I think they said non subs can only do certain WZ levels, certain flashpoints, and even those they can only do a certain number of them per week and I bet they can't do hard modes either. only certain races will be available for unsubbed people as well. that's just a few I can remember but you should really actually go look at the article, there's a chart and everything that shows the differences between subbed an unsubbed. plus playing the story mode to 50 is only half the game.

we don't need people who are constantly going to drag us and the developers down.

If you agree with everything Devs do then the game won't ever get better for gamers. You can throw your loyalty around like a kingsguard all you like but it's only yourself your damaging.

Constructive criticism is designed to let the Devs understand exactly what their current fan base actually wants. And in my opinion, they haven't taken the current players into account at all in this decision. Unless you can tell me exactly how F2P will benefit the current community? And I don't mean the obvious: 'they'll be more players online'.

This decision is to make more money... simples

subs don't have to purchase cartel tokens, we get a certain amount per month

This sentence contradicts itself.

If subs don't have to buy the tokens then why do they only get a CERTAIN amount? Why not an infinite amount?

mmm... Suspicious

Oh I know. Because people with more money will still have the advantage of having better stuff, whether it's only cosmetic or not they'll be expecting subs to spend extra cash...

plus playing the story mode to 50 is only half the game.

If half the game is free, does that mean that subs should be half the cash?

Edited by Ryshard

F2P to level 50? i dont think thats a good idea at all! and putting this token thing in to get game content that us subs get i think is unfair. i think a free to play option should be added, but not to 50. also what is this content that they will have access too? SWTOR shouldnt make F2P just because they "dropped the ball" right out of the front door. BioWare you are making a mistake by doing this. yes you will get more population to play your game, but how many people will stop paying so they can play for free for little limitations. as more people stop paying the more crap the updates will get (not like they havnt already)

o well after paying full price at launch for the game. o well another fked game i am leaving going to GW2 sub runs out in 9 days not renewing it i hate FTP games, they end up costing you way more then $15 a month . MMORPGs will have to get better or the whole industry will die. ( just my 2 cents worth} good buy? NOT.