Where is the pvp skill?

revned

WoW was my first MMO...I didnt do the whole EQ or Lineage thing although I always heard good things about them

I do, however, remember playing wow not long after it was released and having so much fun in that game. When bg's were brought into that game and people were really experimenting with the full potential of their characters/abilities and their ability to play them things got to be so much fun.

Watching people get wrecked/humiliated/dominated was the best part...especially when it was a 2v1 fight and the 2 lost. People had CD's that were used appropriately and you had to think about when to use them and it greatly decided the outcome of what you were doing.

This game has taken CD's to a whole new "spammable" level. Everybody's stuns stay on CD, everyones knockbacks stay on CD...If you pick up the ball in huttball, see how many people swarm you (as they should), but start counting the amount of stuns on you at the same time....i've counted up to 4. Stuns and cd's have just become a reaction to everyone as much as hitting your movement key...i wouldnt be surprised if some people have their stun bound to one of their movement keys.

No skill needed....whoever has the most cd's up usually wins now. Shame on you for not having yours up when this guy attacking you blew trinkets and everything else that wasn't greyed out on his action bars.

How can we get back to having a skill based game?

Edited by revned

The skill is in that +expertise stat yo!

Is this like the time mages couldnt be killed in WoW? They were 2 shotting people in the 20's bracket..and 30's...and 40's...etc etc...but blizzard came out and said, "it's ok, resilience will fix this issue"

If you don't believe there is skill in pvp, then you're not playing enough. Our server has BM players that are good and players that are terrible. As they have the same level of gear, the difference has to be the organic thing behind the keyboard.

You know who the good players are. They're the one you say "Oh crap, there's *****" when you see them in a warzone. They have the skill to bring out the best in their toon and in their team.

Double everyone's health. Making healing 1.5x what it is now. Make losing cost you credits. See mass players with no skills leave. See guilds that coordinate and focus fire down people with nice switches.

Make gear less relevant.

Oh and by the way, watch how server population dwindles.

There's no such thing as real PvP anymore because the mass amount of players in all gaming are casual players that don't want to risk anything.

CS used to be 1 round per life. BF3, you respawn every 6 seconds.

Shadowbane, you used to lose cities. UO, you used to lose your loot. In WoW, you make a graveyard run. In SWTOR, you spawn right where you died (in world PvP).

Diminishing Returns have gone the way of Resolve bar in this game too.

Too complicated to set up different variables for snares, roots, stuns, and incapacitates, obviously.

Edited by adrenalinee

If you don't believe there is skill in pvp, then you're not playing enough. Our server has BM players that are good and players that are terrible. As they have the same level of gear, the difference has to be the organic thing behind the keyboard.

You know who the good players are. They're the one you say "Oh crap, there's *****" when you see them in a warzone. They have the skill to bring out the best in their toon and in their team.

A great case for removing expertise from the game. A useless stat once everyone has it you might as well not have any.

Even with terrible concepts for PvP there is always a level of skill. Player skill is always a factor even if it's weight is significantly reduced by terrible design. That being said. Stop being bad.

Clearly I'm bad when im stunned to death, literally. Use my CC breaker to be stunned again...man im bad!

A great case for removing expertise from the game. A useless stat once everyone has it you might as well not have any.

It's the same as resilience which imo ruined pvp in WoW. All it did was stop the dragon slayers from pvp'ing with their dragonslaying gear.

Clearly you need to roll as a sorc bh or sage then you can claim to be all leet. This is marketed as a casual game to casual gamers so I would not expect them to put much effort into the pvp side of things beside the rankings they already said they were going to include. If after all the time mmo's hasd been around they have not gotten around to making pvp viable then they clearly don't want to be bothered.

while the lets say 10% damage done would get evened out by the 10% dmg reduction, this does not take into account the 10% healing increase

so yea once everyone has equal gear the dmg and def **** evens out but the healers still heal for 10% more so it is not a useless stat.

This game has a fair amount of "skill" involved, it's just that outside of 1v1, it turns into a focus fire affair/dps more than skill. It's Biowares fault for ramping up damage/heals with rather simplistic mechanics and aiming for fast paced pvp.

Outside of 8v8 warzones, pvp is nothing more than a zerg fest. The game scales pretty poorly.

Clearly I'm bad when im stunned to death, literally. Use my CC breaker to be stunned again...man im bad!

Don't use you break free until you resolve bar is WHITE, then you have 15 to 20 seconds of immunity. Snare however doesn't affect this which sucks.

I have seen people get the ball in hutt ball and with force speed be able to make it from just past middle to scoring while using their immunity from a correctly used break free.

Edited by Trineda
removed inflammatory comment

There has to be skill to PvP. If there wasn't then I would be good, and to be frank I am not good, maybe getting to ok while trying to not be a liability. Either that or my class is terrible and I am actually good. But I just think I am not very good yet.

Why is it so wrong or so bad to not be perfect at something? You have to practice and learn. Yes, better gear does make a difference. Yes, there is a ton of CC which can be limiting. But everyone deals with that. I played with some people that are just amazing to watch and can dominate a match. I have no idea if I can ever do that, but I'll try.

Don't use you break free until you resolve bar is WHITE, then you have 15 to 20 seconds of immunity. Snare however doesn't affect this which sucks.

I have seen people get the ball in hutt ball and with force speed be able to make it from just past middle to scoring while using their immunity from a correctly used break free.

That would be fine if i still didnt get stunned with a full resolve bar. You can't argue resolve even works because we ALL know it's wonky and has a mind of it's own. I've had/seen times where i watched someone get stunned twice with full resolve, and times where someone has had 3/4's resolve and not get stunned (no stun immunity buff was up)...so your arguement with resolve is moot.

To add to this....even if i waited until my resolve bar was full to use my CC breaker I would be dead before I reached that mark...again, moot.

Edited by Trineda

Only skill-based pvp is Huttball.

If you count throwing the ball around in forward advances instead of trying to be a champ and run it from the center to the goal like a Hulk..then yes, huttball does require skill. I've seen som pro teams passing like Tebow could only dream of doing...but that's objective skill which qualifies i guess, but my aim was really more at player skill with abilities, not ball tossing.