2.0 Classic Comms and the Old Elder Gear

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm well apparently the whole SWTOR gaming community complaining about the weekly cap doesn't matter- or for that matter the customer satisfaction of anyone involved with SWTOR. The Weekly Cap is still in effect, after the fact that a senior designer has sated in this thread that it will be removed in an upcoming update.

Hmm well apparently the whole SWTOR gaming community complaining about the weekly cap doesn't matter- or for that matter the customer satisfaction of anyone involved with SWTOR. The Weekly Cap is still in effect, after the fact that a senior designer has sated in this thread that it will be removed in an upcoming update.

1. It is certainly not the "whole" SWTOR community complaining. Not even close.

2. Then you elevate it to encompass "anyone" involved with SWTOR. Wow. Get real.

3. Maybe, just maybe, making a technical change to the game actually takes time, given things like a client-server infrastructure, patch delivery, internal change management, etc, etc.

Seriously, get a perspective check. They've said they're going to remove the weekly cap, and they will. You can survive another week. You can survive several more weeks quite easily, in fact.

When people treat minor issues this way you begin to see why developers are reluctant to interface with their community or try to improve their game.

Edited by Aurojiin

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

As a followup to Jesse's post I wanted to give an update on Classic Commendations along with some other changes coming very soon! Here is what will be changing this coming Tuesday in Game Update 2.0.1:

• Planetary Commendations now have a maximum cap of 100 (up from 50).
  • Classic Commendations now have a maximum cap of 1000 (up from 400).
  • Classic Commendations no longer have a weekly cap.
  • Basic Commendations now have a maximum cap of 1000 (up from 600).
  • Basic Commendations now have a weekly cap of 500 (up from 300).

Thanks!

-eric

So what happens to the comms that were lost in the conversion? If the cap is being removed should I not receive my full conversion value? (Not to mention all the people who spent their comms before 2.0 because of the cap.)

And now my post is correct. I thought I was mistaken once, but I was wrong.

Hmm. That's some really big cap raises.

Basically tells me that the reason the original caps were there was so players wouldn't go into Update 2.0 with a bunch of classic and planetary commendations.

It was pretty obvious they were going to need to raise the caps....although some people were jumping off of ledges over this. But the changes doesn't necessarily indicate that the caps had anything to do with players stacking comms for the 2.0 conversion. More likely, they didn't anticipate how fast players can rack up commendations when they play 15-20 hours per day. Just like their estimates for how long it will take players to burn through new content, they continually underestimate the amount of time some people will actually spend every playing the game every day.

Hey folks!

As a followup to Jesse's post I wanted to give an update on Classic Commendations along with some other changes coming very soon! Here is what will be changing this coming Tuesday in Game Update 2.0.1:

Thanks!

-eric

Glad you're not going up too much on Planetary comms. I need a check on my hoarding! :p

Hey folks!

Thanks!

-eric

While I would like to see caps removed completely for subscribers, I can definitely live with these much more reasonable restrictions.

Thank You for listening to the community's concerns regarding this issue. :)

It was pretty obvious they were going to need to raise the caps....although some people were jumping off of ledges over this. But the changes doesn't necessarily indicate that the caps had anything to do with players stacking comms for the 2.0 conversion. More likely, they didn't anticipate how fast players can rack up commendations when they play 15-20 hours per day. Just like their estimates for how long it will take players to burn through new content, they continually underestimate the amount of time some people will actually spend every playing the game every day.

Well, I got my tin foil hat on pretty tight for this.

Kind of wish they would raise the warzone commendation caps too.

Hey folks!

Thanks!

-eric

Well thanks for doing this,just wish it was thought about properly before the reduction as myself and others lost a heck of a lot of comms..I am not asking for them back but things like this please please do more research when doing this kind of change,it makes you as a company look good and looking after us your customer's and saves face when like this your back peddling to appease everyone.

Anyway good job

:)

Well thanks for doing this,just wish it was thought about properly before the reduction as myself and others lost a heck of a lot of comms..I am not asking for them back but things like this please please do more research when doing this kind of change,it makes you as a company look good and looking after us your customer's and saves face when like this your back peddling to appease everyone.

Anyway good job

Before you do any, any changes to the game, how about asking community bout it?

Seriously does no one from development team actually play the game? Sorry, i may be wrong, but sometimes it just feels this way.

Why all the developer struggle for nothing and then have to deal with consequences and raging community - in the end anyway altering their decisions and spending time & credits.

I'm an engineer myself and i know you never gonna get everything right even with all the methods of brainstorming and all experiences you have.

There's hundreds of people out there on the internet having amazing ideas and i know its impossible to keep track of all of them. But in this case making community working for you could be a good idea. By my opinion there's not much missing to make this system work for BW so they could get purified, filtered ideas to the developers, same goes for the feedback about intended changes. Now making this happen is guess part of BW way of managing their staff but if I would be in charge i'd definitely try to gather information and feedback, then filter the ''bul**hit'' and deliver more realistic picture to the development and decision making stuff - this is mandatory if you don't want to make decisions with undesired consequences.

Regarding changes to the game:

Expanding communication outside business world to the actual users on a proper way could be challenging.

At my opinion BW should have a hand picked individuals, guilds,... that would be able to communicate with BW stuff directly, giving them feedback, and i’m sure many folks would gladly cooperate - yes for free :) more people involved - more knowledge - better product.

Now i'm afraid that lack of communication with professional staff and customers is something that many shrewd individuals overcame a long ago with projects where developers and customers cooperate on a whole another level.

More likely, they didn't anticipate how fast players can rack up commendations when they play 15-20 hours per day.

Heck. I've done one SM Op and 2 HM FPs this week and I'm already 75% of the way to the cap. And I've only played for about five hours.

15-20 hours is overstating it.

Hmm. That's some really big cap raises.

Basically tells me that the reason the original caps were there was so players wouldn't go into Update 2.0 with a bunch of classic and planetary commendations.

Not really.

Nearly all MMORPGs do something to restrict the rate at which endgame gear can be accumulated.

The idea is that if it takes you a while to get all of your gear, you're going to be more willing to help other people get their gear. The problem with the method of caps is that it is counterproductive. Once you've hit the cap, you have no incentive to do any more group content for the rest of the week.

Hey folks!

Thanks!

-eric

Shame there is no increase to the Elite commendations, because they cap VERY quick

Anyway good job

It was pointed out repeatedly on the PTS forums that the caps were far too low, the feedback was there, but apparently it was overlooked or ignored.

I've hit comms caps on multiple chars each week since 2,0 release and lost I dread to think how many commendations over cap, let alone the items that went missing in rollbacks due to server crashes, it's very frustrating and not at all the sort of thing that makes me want to play.

As predicted by many people, comms caps actively push people away rather than drawing people in by rewarding play.

The weekly cap on Classic Commendations will be removed in an upcoming patch.

Incidentally, there is currently a bug that causes the game to warn you that you've exceeded your weekly cap even when you are at 0 in your weekly progress (it's erroneously looking at your total commendations). Make sure you check the actual weekly progress value displayed in your currency tab.

:csw_jabba:

I personally think all the weekly caps need to go away....at least for subs anyway. This is not a good system for subscribers; however, it is a neat little way to possibly milk a little more cash out of F2Ps.

I personally think all the weekly caps need to go away....at least for subs anyway. This is not a good system for subscribers; however, it is a neat little way to possibly milk a little more cash out of F2Ps.

It's hard to believe nobody at Bioware thought of the idea of leaving max 1,000 / no weekly cap in place for subs on all comms, and just putting in the stupid low caps for F2P, with an unlock to remove the limits just like with credits. Even if by some insane miracle this never occurred to anyone at the company, it was suggested many times during the grips thread in the PTS forums.

It's like leaving money on the table is their entire business plan for this game.