Dungeoneering

Fevee

I won't say go back to runescape but honestly, this concept is almost equal with it's dungeoneering... I never played rune so I cant tell better but I did some research. And for me whole thing seems a bit odd. We dont need instance where

our normal weapons cant be used

I won't say go back to runescape but honestly, this concept is almost equal with it's dungeoneering... I never played rune so I cant tell better but I did some research. And for me whole thing seems a bit odd. We dont need instance where

our normal weapons cant be used

The idea is to put crafting, not combat, into the spotlight.

Well if that is the case, I can see there being other helpers scattered though out the area. Like if I have Salvaging, I can repair a robot to fight for me. I know some missions where that happens.

I really wish the ignore button blocked said user from posting in certain threads. Otherwise, he's still infesting the place.

Instead of Troll: "Trololololo." I might as well see Troll is still trolololololing. There's not much point.

Instead of removing all items away from the player, and forcing them to go "nude", I would give each player a starter pack.

The starter pack is a simple set of clothes/armor that is only the feet, pants, and chest slots, and the main and off hand items appropriate for their class. These would be like the moddable orange items that you can outfit with mods, armor plating, enhancements, hilts, barrels, and so on.

Starting off they are empty save for a statless power crystal, and they have less base stats then the cartel weapons. These basic stater items are not ment to be kept, but to be replaced as you get better base items as you go on. Also to take from Runescape, there is a type of currency that is unique to the area and this can be used to buy crafting materials.

Because this isn't like runescape, and this would not have it's own skill, there would be a small chance to how you can earn slots to bulk up your load out. I was thinking there is a type of commendations that you can earn during play, like in PvP, as well as for finishing missions. These commendations can be used to unlock loadout slots(as in you start off with two slots for items that you get every time you do a "raid" and then you can earn three, then four, and so on), "stash space" to store gear for future use on the planet, and rewards that you can take off planet and use everywhere.

This is the point of the suggestion box, bouncing an idea off the community and possibly brainstorming it until it's something most people like. I think Misako_Oono has a good point and I shall try to reform the concept, maybe this time with visuals to help make the presentation better and more understandable.

Guess I should thank RazorClawObi, actually, all his junk is making this thread look bigger than it is; increasing the chance people might take a look at it.

I would prefer, though, that my thread be filled with meaningful dialogue and brainstorming; not mindless trolling.

Well I have been reporting every post of his that had me in it. In fact I feel that you should do the same for every post of his that is in your threads. If he gets enough reports, he could get banned from using the forums.

Well I have been reporting every post of his that had me in it. In fact I feel that you should do the same for every post of his that is in your threads. If he gets enough reports, he could get banned from using the forums.

I've already begun. According to his posts, he seems to be only causing trouble for the entire forum.

While the basic idea (put crafting/gathering skills into focus) is nice, the execution (the concept in detail) is, from my point of view, one of the worst ideas ever. Not to mention that many ideas - like "regular items cannot be taken with you", "players who don't have the right skills get temporary skills" or "some F2P restriction have to be temporarily waived" etc. - could be hard to encode (at least hard enough to make the result not worth the effort that has to be put in), I doubt anyone would like to play his character "stripped". For many players, the way the character looks like is quite important - they put a lot of work (and cratel coins) into the game to get the right armors in the right dye, just so that on the next planet all that stuff is taken away? Not so cool I'd say.

So, I'd suggest try another idea, a concept where crafting/gathering skills are put more into fokus without this whole "equipment is taken away BS". Instead, there could be kind of "short term companions" that could be activated with those skills, or shortcuts through the "dungeon" that can be opened by one of those skills.

In other words: use the idea to add stuff to the gameplay, not to change the gameplay.

So, I'd suggest try another idea, a concept where crafting/gathering skills are put more into fokus without this whole "equipment is taken away BS". Instead, there could be kind of "short term companions" that could be activated with those skills, or shortcuts through the "dungeon" that can be opened by one of those skills.

In other words: use the idea to add stuff to the gameplay, not to change the gameplay.

That is a very good point. Other then gather points in world, It would be cool if there were other things that you can do in world with your crew skills. An examples from flash points would be temp companions, but more can be done. Like a small but long lasting buff. Some short cuts or other ways around things. Maybe getting a small discount on certain items. Finding new, hidden vendors all together with different then normal gear.

A lot of the mission crew skills don't even get a chance to do anything other be something that you send your companions on in hopes to get that item you need.

I can see using Under world trading to get into some back room that will let you get stronger then normal vendor items, or even let you buy Crafting Material packages at the same cost of doing the mission and have a better then normal(like +5% better) of getting a crit and getting the purple level materials.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having "hot-spots" that can be clikced on (if you have the right skill) that give some benefit during the mission. Automated guns or battle droids (that could be activated via armstech or slicing), shortcuts (that can be found with treasure hunting or archaeology), short-term companions (that can be hired with diplomacy or underworld trading) etc. Simply some stuff that is not needed to make it through the mission/flash-point/operation, but that makes it easier to get through.

While thinking about it, I got an additional Idea:

a new expansion/add-on (whatever you'll call it) with 22 new short story-arcs (per side): 1 for each Crew-Skill. The NPC where you can get the Mission is only acive if your character posses the relevant crew-skill. Each "story-arc" would be a series of 3-4 Missions, and the skill in question would be necessary at some point during the mission.

So each individual character can only do 3 of those series of mission on his own. For the others, he has to group with someone with the relevant skills.

Not only fact crafting is a bit boring in this game (click button and companion does job, and thats how I like it) but "naked" system also greatly favors some classes over others (compare naked sentinel can do just nothing, but naked sage can use his/her force powers)

Not only fact crafting is a bit boring in this game (click button and companion does job, and thats how I like it) but "naked" system also greatly favors some classes over others (compare naked sentinel can do just nothing, but naked sage can use his/her force powers)

We were trying to move away from that idea, and was trying to make the skills them selves more useful then just the one "boring" use of it.

Mmm... Maybe

I disagree with the disarmament portion of your suggestion, but like insinuation of crafting requirements as a pre-built group requirement.

In current FPs mostly players who are slicers and gatherers use their skill to activate elevators, fix robots, etc. If we were to take this as a stepping stone, the new scenario could recquire a Biochemist to make an anti-dote to the poison, and gatherer to help collect ingredients. Because the location and nature of beasts defending a must have resource, an arsmaker depend on gatherers to help collect materials, and slicers to access the computer to get one use mission specitfic schematics. Same process is weaved for each form of crafting, where all come together to create the final cure, of course along the way they fight bosses and what not.

Sue

• 1 year later...

I definitely like the idea of making crafting really useful in SWTOR. In a "wall of text" rant I posted in another thread, I discussed my ideas for a total revamp of the entire crafting system a la SWG ("SWG fanboi" flames incoming). While I'd still like to see crafting get a complete overhaul, something like this suggestion that takes the crafting system out of the dull and lifeless void in which it is currently stuck would be tremendously welcome.

I will say, however, that I agree with those against the idea of starting the experience with no gear whatsoever. To take from another game, I imagine this something like the original Kael'Thas Sunstrider encounter in The Eye from World of Warcraft. You go in with all of your normal gear, but you need to acquire and equip the instance-specific weapons he summons in order to defeat him (if you're not grossly over-leveled).

Applying this concept to your idea, in order to defeat whatever creature is defending the super-secret relic (or whatever) you must craft a very specific set of armor and weaponry to defend yourself from and defeat the horror that awaits you. This new set of gear provides bonuses that offset some of the boss's unique abilities that, without the custom-crafted gear, would occur with too much frequency and/or intensity to be able to successfully complete the encounter.

Since this gear is crafted with materials from the tainted planet, they cannot be removed from the surface without the very real potential of rapidly spreading whatever horrible disease is affecting the entire planet across the galaxy in a pandemic with no cure.

In addition to making crafting somewhat relevant, I'm always up for adding content to this game that caters to different play-styles (as is evident by the links in my signature). As I've said in pretty much all of the game mode suggestion threads in which I've participated, the more options a player has regarding what they do (and how they do it) in-game, the more likely it is that they will find something that appeals to their play-style.

Edited by G_Hosa_Phat