Gearing - Question comparing my pvp gear in flashpoints - Tanksassin

I have primarily PvPed in the past and after returning to the game have become more interested in running more PvE based stuff.

I currently have a full set of Oberon gear (Survivor). From the looks of the gear on the Basic gear vendor the Black Market Duelist set doesn't seem to offer much of an increase to my stat bonuses.

Would it be possible for me to tank in 55 flashpoints in this gear until I can step up to the higher tier pve gear or should I take the time to grind the basic comms?

Thanks!

I have primarily PvPed in the past and after returning to the game have become more interested in running more PvE based stuff.

I currently have a full set of Oberon gear (Survivor). From the looks of the gear on the Basic gear vendor the Black Market Duelist set doesn't seem to offer much of an increase to my stat bonuses.

Would it be possible for me to tank in 55 flashpoints in this gear until I can step up to the higher tier pve gear or should I take the time to grind the basic comms?

Thanks!

My opinion, yes to everything.

Your PvP gear should be fine for HM FPs, whether they be 50 or 55HMs. The PvE gear will be better. It has higher secondary stat (Absorb/Shield/Defense) allocations, and thus will make you more tank-y for PvE.

I would look at it the same way I would look at trying to get PvP gear at 55 starting with none. As quickly as possible (and as smartly as possible) work on replacing your PvP gear with PvE gear. Don't queue up for content you know you'd be unable to carry your weight at.

The best piece of advice I can give and this is going to make things take longer:

If you aren't in a guild, and would be running these FPs solo, work through the Oricon story arc and collect a set of DPS gear from the quest rewards. The queues will take longer, but seeing the content as a DPS (where expectations are a bit lowered) will give you a good start on tanking the content. There are a lot of people running 55 HM FPs that aren't incredibly considerate about people who are learning the content the first time and doing things like cautiously pulling every trash mob.

But I would do all the PvE weeklies (Black Hole/Section X/Oricon/CZ-198/Makeb) to collect comms each week as well as grind a couple day's worth of dailies on Makeb/CZ-198/Oricon to build up your stash of basic comms.

Good Luck

Your best bet is to just jump into any story mode operations as a DPS character build up your tank set that way it will save you a Thone of time and while you are in them you can observe the main tanks and learn a thing or two while doing it

Your full Oberon is plenty of gear for every HM FP in the game, all level 50 SM and HM Operations, and SM TfB / SM SnV.

With a good group you could probably off-tank HM TfB or HM SnV, but are more likely to run into trouble with any mechanics you aren't familiar with.

Good luck.

Thanks for all of your replies! Lots of good advise. I will just switch to lightning stance and dps till i can get some of the higher gear in lv 55s.

unless your DD gear is better then your tank gear you might as well stay tank if you are more used to that spec.

you are fine for every story ops 8/16mode doesn't matter only thing you should change would be the endurance augments (they are the Standard PVP ones so i'm simply assuming you have these) for Absorption&Defence ones, even blue ones are okay for starters.