Tips and Tricks learned from teaching a 53 yr old Woman

Saiyanbob

I have launched a new blog site called Little Old Lady from Nar Shaddaa. In addition to comical stories about a 53 yr old noob it will also include tip and tricks for new players. Check it out at LOLfns.com

Topics so Far:

LOL Vs Too Many Buttons: Knowing Your Abilities

LOL vs Maps: How to Navigate Star Wars the Old Republic

LOL vs Threat: Knowing What Your Capable Of

LOL vs Mission Objectives: Knowing What You're After

LOL vs PVP Part 1: General Tips

LOL vs The Interface: Using the Interface Editor

LOL vs Stats Part 1: Is this for Me

LOL vs Stats Part 2: Which Stat is Better

LOL vs Companions: Which One Do I Use

Edited by Saiyanbob
update

Just read the first post - great!!! You broke things down very well and I admire your patience with the Lol! I hope she is enjoying this experience. I'm not nearly as nooby, but will admit that sometimes even on the New Player Help forums I've seen answers that seemed to be in other languages :o I'm sure the people replying have no idea that the answer that seems so clear to them can be near useless to a true noob! It's probably good for those experienced players to see/remember what it was like to be so clueless :eek:

I'm looking forward to future posts! :D

Thanks for taking the time to do this for your mother-in-law and the time to share the experiences!

I like the writeup on teaching the Little Old Lady.

I'm a 35 year old MMO noob.

I played a few free weekends before subscribing and was totally lost before I learned how to use the map. I didn't know the keyboard shortcuts or anything. I basically just strolled along trails hoping not to get killed.

Once I figured the green arrows and mission locators on the map everything got easy. I actually completed missions quickly and started leveling. Not dieing quickly made the game fun. ;)

I get in ~ 10 hours a week and and now a level 45 BH and can't wait for the next free time that I can log in.

The New Player forum is great and provides lots of tips to the non-gamer like myself.

Being a gamer for over 30+ years, it can be easy to fall prey to calling people "noob" or "rookie". I'm often astounded by the questions people ask on the chat ("Where do I find the vendor for 'such and such'??") It would help if all people took the time to learn the game before jumping into it with both feet and especially by the 2nd planet some of the things they should know already. I like your little stories. Will bookmark for future reference. :)

I always remember how I acted when I was a Newbie somewhere - because it frightens me how fast people forget their own "beginner status".

In my opinion, beginners are the best game testers ! Because they still see things that any Veteran cuts out from his/her view automatically !

Oh I totally agree. This experience was eye opening to me hence why I began the blog. I had taken so much for granted and then I remember my first few days of EQ and how I would get lost just looking for the lift to get into the wood elf city. I<3 the LOL but she makes me laugh so hard some times.

I was a little confused when you out of nowhere started referring to someone called Cheeznuts, a character you had not introduced, and then just as soon stopped using this name. I guess this is the little old lady? Seems obvious but it comes over kind of odd the way you do that.

Other than that, it's a great read. Keep it up, please. :)

Love it!

I too have had a challenge arranging my abilities into an effective rotation.

I raid with a group all the way to TFB hard mode and got kicked when we couldn't beat the damn droid boss.

Younger gamers just don't get that the learning curve can be steeper for older, more casual gamers. And old hands don't always work well as we'd like them to.

If you're on Jedi Covenant, let me know, I would love to meet "Cheesenuts".

Great idea Saiyanbob, the topics are well broken down and coherent. :)

I recently trained a group of people with varying degrees and types of disabilities to play MMOs as part of academic research into accessibility; something like this would have helped provide very useful pointers! Hopefully people will find your guides useful when learning the game or teaching others. :)

Keep up the good work!

J

I am 58, so I have empathy for Cheeznuts.

I'm not that much a newb, but....SWTOR is my second MMO (EQ2 first) and I have yet to reach max level, so yeah, I'm still a newb in many ways.

What I find challenging in groups is my reaction time. I have (imho) a good sense of teamwork, and the roles each play. I tank, and there are times in fights where I have a hard time following the battle. I keep aggro on main mob, but want to keep eye on healer. Where is he and what mobs are attacking him? TABbing doesn't help and when I get oriented too much time has passed.

Anyways...love the blogs and posts. Keep them going for your elders sake! :cool:

I am 37 but my dad is 57 and has been gaming ever since I can remember (from tabletop to computers). This is a great thread and your site is nice too. I can't tell you how many times I've been where you are with one thing or another.

Gaming is about the only thing we have in common so it has kept us talking over the years. Grats on doing a good thing. She really sounded like she was enjoying Huttball!

I, a person who hates watching long videos on the internet, am watching a over an hour long video about 2 people playing pvp. Call me crazy. :D

Only problem is that I would really like to play some pvp with my commando healer now, which is a very bad thing when you are trying to get a gf ops to pop lol.

Ha you see the footage I have from day 2. I'm editing it now but half of it is on the twitch right now. We were defending our Pylon in Hypergate and 30 seconds before the end of the match we were going to win 1 pup came and then a WHOLE LOT MORE!!! I tried to call for help but was talking to a friend and it defaulted to my reply and ended up causing us to lose. Its not always the LOL that does the silly things. I love PVPing with her because I'm not great at it either which makes it fun as heck.