Vanguard Tanking abilities sugestions

ForranAradle

I've been playing my 50 vanguard tank and overall i think the skills are good if you know how to use them. The one thing i would like would be a immune to knock backs and movement impairing effects. So many times i get stunned or knocked back and that severely messes with me tanking. Also we are tanks so shouldn't we be able to stay in the middle of things and not get thrown around like with the Trandoshan boss on False Emperor. You could put on as part of reactive shield.

Feel free to add your ideas for tanking abilities or any ability you think we should have.

The one thing i would like would be a immune to knock backs and movement impairing effects.

Part of being a tank is sitting there and getting tossed around because everything is attacking you. You learn to deal with it and even count on it because *many* KBs are actually threat drops. As a VG tank, you've also got Storm, so, even if you get thrown back, you're still going to be able to get back in the fight with little problem (very few bosses actually use KBs within 12 seconds of using the last one; the only one I can think of that does is the first miniboss of MP). As to stuns, keep in mind that you've got Tenacity. If a stun is really bothering you (or is long duration), just thrown down with Tenacity and break out of it.

On a side note, you don't really want to be tanking in melee with the Trando miniboss from FP anyways. You're better of just perma-kiting him at 10m because of his megacleaves.

To mimic what has already been said, the only thing that VGs really need is another legitimate survivability CD. Smoke Grenade isn't a CD so much as it is an equivalence to the acc debuffs that the other tanks get, Reactive Shield is, by far, the lowest survivability contributor of all of the survivability CDs, and Adrenaline Rush is also the outright worst tank self-heal (15% over 10 seconds is worse than Enure, which, even though it's temporary, is on lower CD and instantaneous for a larger amount, or Battle Readiness, which provides 10% up front immediately and provides the equivalent to an extra 5% over the duration). Not only are VGs short a CD, but those CDs that they *do* have are the outright worst of their kinds.

VG Tanks really do need *something* to balance out that inequality. I realize that they've got simply amazing passive mitigation, but, for burst damage phases, they really only have Reactive Shield, which is on a 2 min CD and not generally up for half of the burst phases you get into. They really could use something else.

Tank vans are made to have jsut one cd for a reason, it is the van tanking role. Juggs have many effective cds but their passive defense and mitigation is low. Sadow/Sins are about in the middle between cd based and passive. While Van/PTs are on the extreme passive defenses, We have the highest constant mitigation of all the tank classes. The idea is to make certain tank classes desireable for certain instances rather than one tank fits all. Vans do well with constant mid-to moderatly high dps bosses and long boss fights, while juggs do best with bosses that have low constant dps but infrequient high dps bursts, and juggs have difficulty with long drawn out fights.

Now the reactive sheild is underpowered and can only be use once or maybe twice a boss fight and prob does need a boost. Perhaps lower the cd to like 1 min instead of three. But add another cd, no way I hate mangaging cds thats why i love this class.

Tank vans are made to have jsut one cd for a reason, it is the van tanking role. Juggs have many effective cds but their passive defense and mitigation is low. Sadow/Sins are about in the middle between cd based and passive. While Van/PTs are on the extreme passive defenses, We have the highest constant mitigation of all the tank classes. The idea is to make certain tank classes desireable for certain instances rather than one tank fits all. Vans do well with constant mid-to moderatly high dps bosses and long boss fights, while juggs do best with bosses that have low constant dps but infrequient high dps bursts, and juggs have difficulty with long drawn out fights.

Now the reactive sheild is underpowered and can only be use once or maybe twice a boss fight and prob does need a boost. Perhaps lower the cd to like 1 min instead of three. But add another cd, no way I hate mangaging cds thats why i love this class.

You have it backwards, Sins/Shadows have the lowest passive mitigation but best self heals, Guard/Jugg has the best CDs and middle of the road mitigation stats.

Guard/Jugg has the best CDs

Not really. At best, Guard/Juggs and Shad/Sins are pretty much even. Guard/Juggs have the advantage in that their CDs are universally applicable and the disadvantage that those CDs are on the longest CDs. Shad/Sins have the advantage that their CDs are up more often than any other class's (Deflection is 2 min CD, Resilience is 35-60 seconds), not to mention that Resilience is disgustingly powerful (200% F/T resistance for 5 seconds along with a full cleanse with a ~10% potential uptime), with the disadvantage that they are specific (Deflection only works on M/R attacks and Resilience only works on F/T). A well played Shad/Sin can pretty much negate the disadvantages of the applicability of their CDs, but there is nothing that a Guard/Jugg can do about the length of CDs. As such, I have no problem saying that Shad/Sins have the best CDs outright.