Combat rotation - am I missing something?

Nukoff

Hello, fellow players. I have a kind of a noob'ish question here.

Having played an assassin, a commando, a sniper and a scoundrel from 1 to 50+, I decided to dip my toes in strength-based classes and made a marauder. The dipping has gone as far as level 29 so far, and I've noticed one thing that irks me: in total, I spend almost half of each battle using regular attack because I'm constantly running out of rage.

Is this normal for this class? As you can see, all my previous experience has been with classes who spend their resource on abilities and it regens back on its own, which is quite different from the rage mechanic.

I'm attempting a carnage spec, here's what I got so far: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100ZGGbRor.3

I decided to look at the numbers a bit and here's what I came up with:

Abilities that generate rage:

Assault - 2 every GCD, 1.3/s on average. Regular attack.

Force Charge - 3 every 15 seconds, 0.2/s. For the sake of this post I'll disregard the fact that there's not always a target further than 10 m away to utilize this.

Battering Assault - 6 every 12 seconds, 0.5/s. 15 seconds normally, but a talent cuts it down by 3 seconds.

Force Choke - 3 every 60 seconds, 0.05/s. Haha, just kidding.

Abilities that spend rage:

Vicious Slash - 3 every GCD, 2.0/s

Force Scream - 4 every 12 seconds, 0.3/s

Smash - 3 every 15 seconds, 0.2/s. Kind of situational if you attempt any kind of damage-per-rage efficiency, but still.

Retaliation - 3 every 6 seconds, 0.5/s.

Rupture - 2 every 15 seconds, 0.1/s.

These are the abilities I usually use during a fight (Deadly Throw being included only for healing elites/bosses). I can't make this work even on paper. How am I supposed to generate enough rage to sustain these without inserting a regular attack after every ability? Okay, it's manageable if I don't use Vicious Slash, but that's one of the best damaging moves at level 29.

Or is it just a different playstyle that requires getting used to?

Edited by Nukoff

Hello, fellow players. I have a kind of a noob'ish question here.

Having played an assassin, a commando, a sniper and a scoundrel from 1 to 50+, I decided to dip my toes in strength-based classes and made a marauder. The dipping has gone as far as level 29 so far, and I've noticed one thing that irks me: in total, I spend almost half of each battle using regular attack because I'm constantly running out of rage.

Is this normal for this class? As you can see, all my previous experience has been with classes who spend their resource on abilities and it regens back on its own, which is quite different from the rage mechanic.

I'm attempting a carnage spec, here's what I got so far: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100ZGGbRor.3

I decided to look at the numbers a bit and here's what I came up with:

Abilities that generate rage:

Assault - 2 every GCD, 1.3/s on average. Regular attack.

Force Charge - 3 every 15 seconds, 0.2/s. For the sake of this post I'll disregard the fact that there's not always a target further than 10 m away to utilize this.

Battering Assault - 6 every 12 seconds, 0.5/s. 15 seconds normally, but a talent cuts it down by 3 seconds.

Force Choke - 3 every 60 seconds, 0.05/s. Haha, just kidding.

Abilities that spend rage:

Vicious Slash - 3 every GCD, 2.0/s

Force Scream - 4 every 12 seconds, 0.3/s

Smash - 3 every 15 seconds, 0.2/s. Kind of situational if you attempt any kind of damage-per-rage efficiency, but still.

Retaliation - 3 every 6 seconds, 0.5/s.

Rupture - 2 every 15 seconds, 0.1/s.

These are the abilities I usually use during a fight (Deadly Throw being included only for healing elites/bosses). I can't make this work even on paper. How am I supposed to generate enough rage to sustain these without inserting a regular attack after every ability? Okay, it's manageable if I don't use Vicious Slash, but that's one of the best damaging moves at level 29.

Or is it just a different playstyle that requires getting used to?

Carnage is one of the most potentially rage starved specs out there and you will pick up a number of talents that improve regen at higher levels. Until then it requires some careful balancing of rage. Just remember to always have 7-8 rage on hand for a gore window and you will be fine (and yes that will necessitate using saber strike a fair bit). And by the way, viscious slash is a filler ability used only when you have greater than 8 rage and everything better is on cooldown (force scream, ravage, etc.)

Somewhere around level 45 I think is where it all really came together if you go straight up the tree and skip a few Talents. At such low levels your just not getting the required amount of Rage to maintain sustained rotation as mentioned. You can put some points in the lower portion of the Anni tree to refund some of those Rage points but I would wait until much farther along then 29.

-J:cool:

My main has been carnage since launch.

It's viable to level with for sure but it doesn't really come together until you get massacre. Up to that point, rage is a better leveling spec. Annihilation is also more viable.

Edited by Projawa

I play a Carnage Marauder also, it is rage starved, and it takes a bit more to get used to, try leveling with Anni or rage if you want the rage. Otherwise, its best to get used to get used to building rage and managing it. Smaller rotations? just a thought. Like Berserk > Force Charge > Battering Assault > Ravage > Force Scream Edited by Drakohart

Thanks everyone.

I already got the talent that halves the cost of Force Scream, and it makes things slightly easier. But yeah, I looked further up the tree and I'm very much looking forward to that talent that builds up rage via resting.

Edited by Nukoff

Thanks everyone.

I already got the talent that halves the cost of Force Scream, and it makes things slightly easier. But yeah, I looked further up the tree and I'm very much looking forward to that talent that builds up rage via resting.

That's fury, not rage, although by the time you get that far in the tree rage management has improved a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

To anyone that might stumble on this thread in the future, I've reached lv 50 and I have this to say: there is no strict go-to rotation for a carnage marauder. Not in the commando sense where you have a pretty straightforward set of abilities that you chain and loop until your target reaches 0 health.

Carnage is less "opener, sequence 1, sequence 2, sequence 1, sequence 1, sequence 2" and more "here's a few combinations that you can use to react to different sutia- oh, nope, out of rage again".

Edited by Nukoff