PVP on Begeren?

ConsularKnight

Hi All,

As a relative newcomer to MMO I was just guessing in the dark when deciding on a server. I chose Begeren colony as my RP PVE server because of the high population and as it was a RP server.

Whilst playing, I once stumbled on a Sith outpost in the Tattooine Dune Sea area (near the Czerka base) and was automatically flagged for PVP (on screen timer counting down from 10). Before I could escape, a Level 50 Sith Master NPC jumped out and killed me (two shot kill as I was only Level 30-ish). I then chose to be revived at the nearest Republic outpost and I avoided that area from then on.

A while later, on Alderaan, in the House Alde area, I was farming slicing nodes, when I saw a Sith Marauder player enter the area and kill some Alde guards on the way to go into a story quest area. I was curious and clicked on the Sith Player's companion (to see stats / name, etc.), who then suddenly turned hostile and attacked me?!

I was alone at the time, as my companion (Kira) was crafting cybertech items. So I decided - why not? - fought back and managed to kill both the Sith Player and his companion in the combat. I was able to do so, because I was a few levels higher than them - I was on level 35 and they on 30).

I noticed afterwards that the my colour of my nameplate was changed from blue to green (same as the Alde NPC's).

My question is:

1. Was this supposed to have happened? How does PVP occur on a RP/PVE server?

2. Did I flag myself for PVP accidentally?

2. Can you "PVP" against other faction players, and how does one select or deslect the PVP option?

Any explantion would be highly appreciated. Many Thanks.

ConsularKnight

You probably walked into too close to an Outpost of the opposite faction. Depending on the location, sometimes being too close will start your countdown to PvP timer, other times random NPCs will just murder you instead.

Alderaan and Belsavis are really good at doing both, since many quest markers don't differentiate between faction so you'll be pointed right at the Imperial entrance to an area simply because its' closer.

I agree with FROIDBUSTER. When you wander too close to an enemy base, you have a chance (depending on how close you are), to get flagged for PvP. If you wander into a Sith base and an NCP jumps out and kills you, then you are automatically flagged for PvP.

To deselect being flagged for PvP, right-click on your toon picture and select "Untoggle PvP Flag". Then you have to wait five minutes in a safe zone before it takes effect.

In an open PvP world area, any player you are not in a group with can be killed. This includes both Imps and Pubs alike. An example of an area such as that is The Outlaws Den on Tatooine.

I'm going to disagree with the "too close" hypothesis. When you click on a target, (I don't recall if it's left or right click) you can also activate the ability on you "1" hotkey (at least it's #1 on my setup). I suspect that when you clicked on their companion, you attacked it as well, which will flag you for PvP.

Soupy was right for your House Alde experience. Right clicking on some one will use your skill in your number 1 slot. If you just left clicked on them, not sure what would've flagged you.

If your name is blue, you're not flagged and can't be attacked. When you aren't flagged, you'll see enemy flagged players as having yellow names, and friendly flagged players with green names. You can attack the enemy players and that will auto-flag you, turning your name green and the flagged enemy names red. And you'll notice your faction's emblem glowing in your character's picture on the health bar.

As already mentioned, you have to wait for the unflag timer which is 5 minutes in a safe zone. For Tattooine, you were too close to the enemy territory/base and thus were flagged.

The difference is that on a PVP or RP-PVP server, you are always flagged when in open/contested areas and thus always open to attack instead of having the option to flag yourself that PVE servers provide. =)

I guess that about explains it. So questing & levelling on a PVP server could prove to be very frustrating?

Imagine if anyone fom the oppposing faction could take a swipe at you whenever they felt like it?

Taking on enemy NPC's and being unexpectedly ambushed by a high level opposing faction player who just happened to be in the same area (basically anywhere on the map), would ruin the experience it for me.

PVE looks like the best environment to experience RP'ing.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys. :)

ConsularKnight

Yes leveling can be a pain on PVP servers but truly I was almost never ganked. Plus it can add an extra touch of excitement as you have to watch your back and stay on your toes. XD I leveled on Jung Ma from Feb-Sep (it's RP-PVP) and it wasn't a problem. The only time people would stomp you repeatedly is if they were trying to get a huge response to start a giant battle or space port invasion, etc. Random world run-ins are very rare, the quest lines just don't interact between factions often enough unfortunately. =(

In Sep I made the switch to Begeren and never looked back. This server has a great community and a lot of the players enjoy all aspects of the game so I think ya made the right choice. :D

I agree with Lydiah, the community on this server is very good. Most people here, especially those that have been around for awhile enjoy all aspects of the game. For PVP and PVE high level Ops there are plenty of guilds running these and you will start to get to know the main guilds on the server.

The only disappointing aspect is the RP part, but honestly I don't miss it and haven't done much RP'ing since the old Lord Ieldis server.

I say just get out there, introduce yourself to some of the top guilds, e.g. pub side Ascension Strikes Back, Dead On Arrival, * etc... or on the Imp side, Sovereign, Grim Determination, Contra Sanctus * etc.... I am sure you will find a bunch of like minded people whom you can guild with.

* Apologies in advance for not naming every high level guild, esp pub side as I don't venture much over there :)

Edited by bsbrad