Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

Just give something to keep solo level 50 (and, post RotHC, 51+) players occupied, for both PvE and especially PvP?

Sorry if it's been mentioned before (I'm not wading through a 50-page thread looking for it :/), but this is important to some of us:

I soloed my way up to 50 (30+ as a freeb --loosen some of the freeb-restrictions, please, a lot of them are just asinine, if not downright petty), and solo I would like to remain!

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solo story game is still good but the group content stinks. I don't know why Bioware made a MMO, they make the best RPGs but MMOs kinda suck in general. There should be solo versions of Boarding Party, Foundry and False Emperor at least. Edited by MorgonKara

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that SGR has been put above other things.

Because of the following statements, from the man himself;

"I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future."

So there's your "SGR" offering, coming in spring.

As for world pvp, you know a standard mmo feature (offered by every other mmo on the market, in the past, present and future)... well yeah;

"do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year"

That's a hell of a statement to make in January, which to be fair I'm thankful for because I now know that they won't be seeing my subscription fee this calender year.

Wow, all this debate about SGR when all they have done is added flirt options in regardless off gender. No extra work, just one of the 3 response options will now be a flirt instead of something else if it is SG. All goes to show you how much better life on the non APAC servers must be if that's all you guys have to worry about.

Because of the following statements, from the man himself;

"I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future."

So there's your "SGR" offering, coming in spring.

As for world pvp, you know a standard mmo feature (offered by every other mmo on the market, in the past, present and future)... well yeah;

"do not look for massive new Open World PvP this year"

That's a hell of a statement to make in January, which to be fair I'm thankful for because I now know that they won't be seeing my subscription fee this calender year.

Nothing in there even suggests that SGR was put above anything else.

Warzones/Open World PvP/mini-games etc. are still in the works. Nothing was stopped in favor of SGR. Nothing was tossed aside.

Perhaps this has not been brought up and I am sorry if it already has but I just have to throw this concept out there:

ALLOWING ANY CLASS TO WEAR ANY ARMOR THEY WANT TO.

I know that MMOs like WoW set the stage for limiting which types of armors people could wear based on their class but I feel that this is something we need to do away with. It is a 100% disadvantage for example in PVP to play as a Sorceror and only be allowed to wear light armor when your DPS output has been nerfed time and time again and you get slaughtered out there. If you are going to nerf the class fine (even though Sorc is supposed to be the "class" the emperor would be in and SHOULD be the strongest Sith class anyway) but please give us armor to defend outselves to even it out. It's entirely imbalanced to allow a Tank in Heavy Armor who can take the weak beatings from a light armor wearer simply widdle down the light armor wearer until they enivitably when the match.

I love SWTOR but you also need to think about the future of MMOs. The Elder Scrolls Online is going to allow us to wear any armor we wish to wear and allow us to have any stats we choose to have. Yes, if you do not know what you are doing, you could really screw up your class, but the same could be said for someone who does not understand that a Sorceror needs Willpower over Endurance and it is all a learning curve.

It is 100% unfair that a heavy armor wearer can wear both medium and light armor but a light armor wearer who cannot put out stronger DPS cannot wear stronger armor to compensate them.

Not to mention that a great deal of the better looking armors are Medium-Heavy grade so if you wear light armor you are screwed. You have started fixing this with adaptable armor in the Cartel Market but the armor rating will still be lower on a light armor wearer as opposed to a heavy armor wearer.

From personal experience, I have done a lot better in PVP with a level 10 medium-heavy armor wearer in a class that I have no experience in than with a level 48 light armor wearer I have a great deal of experience in.

I know that some people say that any class can be successful at PVP if you know how to play them but I think we all need to be honest with ourselves. When it comes to PVP you are going to choose a Marauder/Sentinel over a Sorceror/Sage and you cannot deny that.

Anyways, enough rant. I love the game I just don't want to have to leave it for TESO simply because they have listened to MMO players and have already done away with what makes MMOs annoying in their design of their game.

PS I think that armor should be lootable from any NPCs we kill like in The Elder Scrolls games and upcoming MMO. I would LOVE to wear some of the armor from some of the bosses I kill. It would be like a personal trophy to walk around wearing Thana Vesh's armor after I killed her for her insolence, for example.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!

This is false. FFXI had none and is still doing really well and it's old as dirt.

Edited by myolinyr

Just want to state some facts after having been a subscriber for the last two weeks and playing it almost daily, up until now:

1. Server is VERY UNSTABLE. I play in Asia PvE Server (Dalborra). I can't count how many times the experience of crashing to desktop, lagging and unresponsive controls during battles that result to being death--all due to UNSTABLE SERVER, plus additional facts below.
  2. Keyboard and mouse control are very awkward, stiff and non-conducive to the action-based nature of the game. Suggestion: must apply the free mouse look feature (without having to right click, as in FPS games) ASAP.
  3. Loot windows suddenly pop up in the middle of battles--especially with many enemies, combined with the aforementioned non-conducive keyboard+mouse control, leads to inconveniences when fighting--particularly against enemies that move/jump around a lot, or even those standing behind players.
  4. Misleading depicted targeted levels of planet and/or quest difficulty. One has to actually be at least 5 levels above the depicted targeted levels to win fighting enemies--especially bosses, and thus eventually completing the intended class mission quest (HEROICs are of a different matter, perhaps).

Additional grief:

Despite the "common agreement", I personally--and many PvE and/or story-focused [casual] players are finding it highly illogical to have the "only used once per battle" rule of Medpac. For this particular matter, please at least apply a different rule for PvE / Story-Focused [casual] players. Heck, make it exclusively for subscribers, if necessary (and perhaps preferably by the dev/pub).

Funny thing is SGR is just enough to put the final nail in this games coffin. We have been fine without it, now I expect bad press and another reason for players to quit the game.

Why add something so controversial when you should be trying to get more players in the game?

Just another example of management prioritizing the wrong game elements when they should be looking into adding things into the game that make current players happy and wanting to keep subscribing.

VERY agree! It's so... unimportant and out of context.

SGRomance is a minority issue. No matter how vocal the minority on these forums are.

The fact Bioware are wasting time on that over other more important issues is a major concern, and is certainly raising eyebrows on other gaming websites... especially since Bioware is supposed to be enticing customers in, in order to support itself now with f2p.

SGRomance is a minority issue. No matter how vocal the minority on these forums are.

The fact Bioware are wasting time on that over other more important issues is a major concern, and is certainly raising eyebrows on other gaming websites... especially since Bioware is supposed to be enticing customers in, in order to support itself now with f2p.

If you read the Blog carefully, you will discover, that it states, that they are dropping the idea of adding SGR for companions. All they do ist adding a SG flirt option for NPC, which in fact is even less work, because they don't have to consider the gender when designing NPC stories.

If you read the Blog carefully, you will discover, that it states, that they are dropping the idea of adding SGR for companions. All they do ist adding a SG flirt option for NPC, which in fact is even less work, because they don't have to consider the gender when designing NPC stories.

Such nonsense triviality. Wouldn't they'd better be busy busting ***** fixing REAL MATTERS complaints such as this, and so many others? I don't get their thinking sometimes. It's like they are living on another planet.

Just want to state some facts after having been a subscriber for the last two weeks and playing it almost daily, up until now:

[*]Server is VERY UNSTABLE. I play in Asia PvE Server (Dalborra). I can't count how many times the experience of crashing to desktop, lagging and unresponsive controls

This is what i feel overall is hurting swtor the most. Game stability. SGR is a minor thing, not enough to be gamebreaking. GTN search is anoying but not enough to be gamebreaking, the linear story and the singleplayer feel of it is anoying but not enough to be gamebreaking, space on rails is anoying, but it´s a minigame you can skip, not enough to be gamebreaking, NPC often apear in groups of clones, you cant sit on chairs in bars, all sorts of small things that could be better, but in itself not enough to be a dealbreaker.

If the game is unstable that´s a major issue, and for many that´s a dealbreaker. Lagg is a major issue, that would also be a gamebreaker if it´s bad enough. Not sure if the unresponsive control is due to lagg or it´s ability delay, but that´s also a major issue and needs to be fixed.

This state of the game didn´t even mention lagg or game stability. All i see is Comical Jeff saying everything is awesome and the next patch will be awesome and the "expansion" will be even more awesome.

If the statte of the game doesn´t adress even a few of the biggest problems, it´s not realy a state of the game. It´s just PR. Ofc. we all knew that but it´s still disapointing that they dont learn from their mistakes.

Such nonsense triviality. Wouldn't they'd better be busy busting ***** fixing REAL MATTERS complaints such as this, and so many others? I don't get their thinking sometimes. It's like they are living on another planet.
As has been pointed out and re-pointed out many times in the past, the skill set needed to fix engine issues is a much different one than it takes to write a few lines of dialog. Writers are a lot cheaper than engineers.

As has been pointed out and re-pointed out many times in the past, the skill set needed to fix engine issues is a much different one than it takes to write a few lines of dialog. Writers are a lot cheaper than engineers.

Excuse me. Are we talking here about a cheap game here?!

Writters may be a lot cheaper than Engineers but this kind of Star Wars production has a huge budget compared with any other online game, and if those games work without major issues, so does this game have to.

It's an insult to use excuses as "Writters are a lot cheaper than Engineers", we are paying costumers and we deserve respect and attention to our needs.

Want to save money?! Open a bank account, not an MMO.

That is NOT an excuse. They're running a game business, not a novel publishing, so the engine is the main selling point and should be made priority ON TOP of the scripts and/or any other matters. Make sense, no?

Besides, if they are able to waste time thinking about realizing SGR and other frivolities such as seen on the Cartel Shop, they should have been able to make double time fixing the engine. It's their main responsibilities to the customers. Proper, no?

Come on....

That is NOT an excuse. They're running a game business, not a novel publishing, so the engine is the main selling point and should be made priority ON TOP of the scripts and/or any other matters. Make sense, no?

Besides, if they are able to waste time thinking about realizing SGR and other frivolities such as seen on the Cartel Shop, they should have been able to make double time fixing the engine. It's their main responsibilities to the customers. Proper, no?

Come on....

Exactly im not sure about other servers but on Jung Ma companion color unifier is not working.... and their worrying about SGR!!!!!

Exactly im not sure about other servers but on Jung Ma companion color unifier is not working.... and their worrying about SGR!!!!!

SGR and bugs were never handled by the same department. Ever. Ever. Ever. It's inclusion didn't push anything back, push anything to the side, or take precedence over other issues. Hate SGR because you don't agree with it, don't hate it under the false assumption that everything was put on hold just for SGR. It's rather obvious that's not the case.

SGR and bugs were never handled by the same department. Ever. Ever. Ever. It's inclusion didn't push anything back, push anything to the side, or take precedence over other issues. Hate SGR because you don't agree with it, don't hate it under the false assumption that everything was put on hold just for SGR. It's rather obvious that's not the case.

Ya... sorry. just my social views. Your right. So im done with this form im going to go play the game.

Edited by JarinRamk

Actually based on what was written it means it's being delayed. Whether they'll finish it or not is anybody's guess, but they did not say it was cancelled.

Actually based on what was written it means it's being delayed. Whether they'll finish it or not is anybody's guess, but they did not say it was cancelled.

Of cause they would never ever say they cancel it, but for me this is close enough.