Area Transition Issues

EricMusco

If it is the cause the list of things that can't be done in this game due to technical/performance issues it would cause is getting prohibitively long.

Hopefully something good comes of this by BW getting a kick in their backside prompting them to reinvest some of the revenue in a new (cross server) queuing system that can handle the strain... well one can dream. :rolleyes:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the cause the list of things that can't be done in this game due to technical/performance issues it would cause is getting prohibitively long.

Hopefully something good comes of this by BW getting a kick in their backside prompting them to reinvest some of the revenue in a new (cross server) queuing system that can handle the strain... well one can dream. :rolleyes:

Actually, this very incident should show one what would happen with a cross server queue, if it can't handle the load from a 16 man queue, how's it going to handle all the servers hitting the same queue? The queue size may be smaller, but the pool will be exponentially bigger, causing much the same issues.

Actually, this very incident should show one what would happen with a cross server queue, if it can't handle the load from a 16 man queue, how's it going to handle all the servers hitting the same queue? The queue size may be smaller, but the pool will be exponentially bigger, causing much the same issues.

Well it stands to reason that the technology would be suitably upgraded. That's the point. Get them to address the issue. They weren't going to do it for illum alone or for what little ranked warzones remain. But now it's piling up to a degree that it could seriously hamper revenue. I mean they went with a bolstered 16man LFG for a reason I imagine, metrics told them the game needs it. Turns out it can't be halftooshied but requires investment. It will show how serious they are going forward how they finally handle these "technical limitations" that are the reason for every other feature not making it in TOR.

So please Tait if you are dropping it back to 8M then make it so the bosses reward exactly what they were rewarding in the 16M GF versions. Sure people will whine and cry ( I don't know why but I'm sure we'll find out in a few posts time ) but at least then the seemingly original intention of making GF op is retained. People can try out and enjoy the new end game content and there are truckloads of comms and gear to entice people to use it - ideally the 8M would pop even better.

Which "new end-game" content was that? Is DF & DP Nightmare Mode in Group Finder (or even story/hard mode TBH)?

As to people worried about there not being enough healers or tanks ... if you aren't already a healer or tank then why not give it a go if your class allows it? My understanding of how bolster works here means you would simply need to respect into a tank/healer build and queue as the tank/healer and you should get the bolster to pull tanking/healing off even if you are in DPS gear. I.E. no more needing to buy an entire new set of gear to try out tanking - 1 free respect away to trying out something new. Heck it might even work out in making uber tanks if it doesn't bolster you based on what you queue as - you could end up as a tank with bolstered tank stats and retain your massive dps bonuses from your dps gear is you are so geared.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced the above concept of trying out tanking in dps gear using the bolster ( but with a tank spec ).

As I understand it, Bolster "just" increases the values on whatever you have equipped as long as the stats are below a certain threshold, it won't turn DPS stats (power, surge, etc) into tank stats (defence, shield change, absorb, etc). You should be able to do decent healing in "DPS" gear, but not tanking as that role requires totally different stats.

Hey everyone,

During this maintenance, we are going to take the Group Finder Operation queue from 16-Player to 8-Player, as we have found that due to tech issues the servers do not perform well under the load caused by the 16-Player queue. Going forward, we are going to evaluate our options in regards to the Group Finder system to see what the best course of action to take is.

-Tait

So essentially, the change you made in 2.8 is gone and its back to being worthless to que for GF because it's only 8 man and you miss out on 20+ Ultimates. I suggest that if you join GF 8man ops that all the bosses still drop the same amount of comms and gear they would in 16. Problem solved. Otherwise, I will go back to never using it again and joining 16 mans only. 8 man SM ops are utterly pointless imo, no Ultimates, so pointless.

Furthermore. The coms caps need to be upped by at least 50 each for Elite and Ultimate weekly cap. I ran S&V 16m GF and the next day DF 16m GF and caped Ultimates. I started out with only 1 Ultimate for the week and capped in 2 ops. Ridiculous.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Hey folks,

We are investigating reports of multiple issues involving things such as travel, area transition, etc. I will pass on updates as we have them.

-eric

Eric, glad to know the devs are aware of this. Hope it can be sorted soon. Had a few cases of the game seemingly freezing up while moving from say the ship to the fleet or similar :(

Sounds to me like you need to do what Arenanet did, engine was outdated and wouldn't allow them to add the features and mechanics that were required, needed and requested, and as a result Guild Wars 2 was made. Hell even WoW has ripped its engine apart and recreated it to allow them to achieve what their fanbase want. I will never understand why SWTOR would clone vanilla WoW when the features in vanilla wow were so limited in comparison to the custom engine they are using now.

This game really should have been made on a custom built engine... A much better investment of the hundreds of millions than voice acting that people play through once, after this all we ever do is skip it because it just gets boring to hear the same FP & OP dialogues over and over...

Edited by Nagasurayami

Just got in the server after new patch.

Groupfinder still says 16 man on one 55 toon, and on another 55 there is no GF for ops option at all.

Check your lockouts on the latter toon. Before the patch, the GF op did not even appear if you were locked out.

Sounds to me like you need to do what Arenanet did, engine was outdated and wouldn't allow them to add the features and mechanics that were required, needed and requested, and as a result Guild Wars 2 was made.

I for one hope BW doesn't go all ArenaNet on us and smegs up the SWTOR game with a horrible SWTOR2-MyLittlePony crossover.

Edited by slafko

Check your lockouts on the latter toon. Before the patch, the GF op did not even appear if you were locked out.

A guildy is having the same problem and he did no GF ops on any toon. He logged in his main and it still shows 16 man, then logged to an alt (55) and no GF at all.

Edited by DarthVengeant

I for one hope BW doesn't go all ArenaNet on us and smegs up the SWTOR game with a horrible SWTOR2-MyLittlePony crossover.

I am not saying I want a GW2 or WoW clone far from it, simply looking for a game engine that is capable of handling more. It does not bode well for the future though if we can't have 16man GF OP's it makes me wonder if the GSH expansion will deliver...

Lets hope the server can handle 8 players in the houses...

I think this also proves that any form of guild capital ship battles or boarding party PvP etc with more than 8 players will be impossible for the engine...

Edited by Nagasurayami

A guildy is having the same problem and he did no GF ops. He logged in his main and it still shows 16 man, then logged to an alt and no GF at all.

Whether he did GF is not the question. I pug'd DF 16m SM the normal way on one of my Sorcs Tuesday evening, and when DF rotated into GF yesterday it did not appear on that Sorc's DF panel because he was locked out.

Lockouts are apparently shared between GF ops and non-GF ops. Hopefully the GF op schedule will be non-random and made known so people can plan their raiding accordingly.

Just opened up GF and it still says it is a 16man Op for the random level 55 Ops.

So... which is it?

BW, seriously, what is going on? I am in SW and HW development. I know the challenges, but... this is getting embarrassing.

It is 8 man. Even though it says 16.

Also:

No ultimate commendations!

Just did a run (The Red Eclipse) and nada. zip. nothing. 0, zero, nil ultimate comms for the run

Thanks. bugs bugs so many bugs

It is 8 man. Even though it says 16.

Also:

No ultimate commendations!

Just did a run (The Red Eclipse) and nada. zip. nothing. 0, zero, nil ultimate comms for the run

Thanks. bugs bugs so many bugs

Nice... so... it is a defeature.

I'm sorry, what?! Increasing group size from 8 to 16 is causing server load issues? How can that be? The software engineer in me is extremely curious and also highly skeptical.

Inorite!!! Just like when they claimed increasing guild caps would do the same thing, or increasing the number of active missions "I" could have would somehow hurt server performance as well. I'm not a programmer, so maybe someone who knows WHY these, seemingly miniscule, things impact server performance so much, could explain to me HOW that's the case.

Just opened up GF and it still says it is a 16man Op for the random level 55 Ops.

So... which is it?

BW, seriously, what is going on? I am in SW and HW development. I know the challenges, but... this is getting embarrassing.

Geezus Rafa...I had to look at the name several times...it almost sounds like you're criticizing Bioware...

You make all this money in the cartel market and you can't get severs for us to work for 16 mans. today my guild can't get 8 man que to work now this so fail. Edited by teyza