Ninja Crafting Mats

Honeygurl

This whole crafting system is screwed up. Sunday i asked someone to make me Exotech Reflex Stims they take 50min to craft, I told them they could COD them to me in case I was on a run. After 3 days i reported them because I never received my items and I got a response of there is nothing they can do about it. There needs to be an option where we the player can craft the item in say 5min.

It sucks that that happened to you. It really does. But you really, really took a huge risk by asking some stranger to do it.

If there were some sort of in-game craft request, perhaps through the GTN, where a commitment from both parts can be arranged, it'd would be different. But now, all you have is trust. And sadly, it's a risk putting much of it on strangers.

No, you're supposed to not want to change a core game mechanic because you want things in 5 minutes.

Speedcrafting like you propose would completely ruin the idea of scarcity. And if only 3 people have the schematic, and you have the mats for it, why not work toward obtaining it yourself?

This whole crafting system is screwed up. Sunday i asked someone to make me Exotech Reflex Stims they take 50min to craft, I told them they could COD them to me in case I was on a run. After 3 days i reported them because I never received my items and I got a response of there is nothing they can do about it. There needs to be an option where we the player can craft the item in say 5min.

Why on earth would you report them for this? COD = you don't pay until the item is delivered. So it's not like you actually lost anything or were scammed. (except possibly time) And when you decided it was taking so long you could have simply bought them from somebody else and then declined to purchase them when they came in the mail from the guy who took so long. He may have just forgot, or wrote your name down wrong or something. Maybe a BIT rude on his part, but not something you should report somebody for.

I never gave him the Money, i gave him the mats. I've done about 20+ HM OPS and have never seen it drop so take your smart comments somewhere else. My post was that this could be a major issue.

It can only be a "major" issue for people who think that sending strangers stuff for free is a good idea. Don't do it!

With that said, I agree it would be very cool if there were some way to ensure that you'd get the item back in return for your mats, but it just isn't possible. E.g., if you set up a trade where you selected a schem and provided the mats, it would require that one of the other player's companions immediately started crafting it (assuming they have a companion free) and that it couldn't be cancelled before being finished and auto-sent to you. I don't think many people would go for that. The other solution is NPC crafters, which defeats the point of player crafting.

Join a guild and rely on people you trust.

I never gave him the Money, i gave him the mats. I've done about 20+ HM OPS and have never seen it drop so take your smart comments somewhere else. My post was that this could be a major issue.

Next time, ask the person to craft it, but arrange a credit payment along with replacement of their own mats.. well, not that same person specifically!

Edited by jsmc

was the person you sent the mats been in game the last three days? does he have any guildies you could ask about his offline status? if he hasnt been online perhaps something not under his control happened.

there are alot of other possible reasons other than thinking you got ripped off.

but if you sent him tons of mats for the first time and did get ripped off i guess you just learned a lesson.

ooooh, well yeah. providing your own mats was probably a mistake, instead of just paying for them as part of the CoD purchase price.

The major issue here is you trusted a stranger and got taken for some mats. Next time don't be so trusting to a stranger. The van may say free candy but that may not be the case :p

What server are you on, I can make those, and will COD them to you if you still need them... if the price is right of course.

I'm really baffled by the responses of some of the people in this thread, but what I'm really baffled about is Bioware's lack of action on this.

A major staple of MMO's is having items made by crafting and a long standing part of that involves giving the crafter the materials for an item you want. I've seen this in every MMO I've been involved with so this is NOT a rare occurrence but something that happens quite frequently.

In other MMO's this theft of goods would result in the goods being stripped from the offender and that offender getting a few days suspension for their behavior. Tracking trades and chat isn't rocket science, it is done as a matter of course.

Unless you are playing with real life friends, we are ALL strangers here. Saying not to trust someone is anathema to what MMO's are.

Bioware should have investigated and actually done something about the theft instead of just blowing it off.

A major staple of MMO's is having items made by crafting and a long standing part of that involves giving the crafter the materials for an item you want. I've seen this in every MMO I've been involved with so this is NOT a rare occurrence but something that happens quite frequently.

Sure, it happens frequently in other games, and it happens frequently here. But that doesn't mean that there are game systems for this elsewhere, nor does it mean that there ought to be game systems here for this.

In WoW, I know of no mechanic that allows for what the OP is requesting. Nor do I know of any such mechanic in EQ or EQII or LotRO or AoC or DCU or CO or STO or... actually, no games do that, that I know of.

In other MMO's this theft of goods would result in the goods being stripped from the offender and that offender getting a few days suspension for their behavior. Tracking trades and chat isn't rocket science, it is done as a matter of course.

This is utter nonsense. If you engage in a trade with another character, and they somehow found a way to hack the game and force the trade window to cheat you... then sure, devs would step in. But if you get a random stranger to promise to make you something, and you send that total stranger some materials in advance, and then that total stranger rips you off... it's all on you. It's up to you to make sure that your trades are fair. That's not the devs' business, nor should it be. They have other things to spend their time on, besides mediating between parties in trades.

The bottom line is always CAVEAT EMPTOR: "Let the buyer beware". It's your responsibility to ensure that you're happy with the details of the trade. And again, other than hacking or other explicit cheating, the devs have nothing to do with this sort of thing, here or in any other game.

Unless you are playing with real life friends, we are ALL strangers here. Saying not to trust someone is anathema to what MMO's are.

Hardly. I've played over two dozen MMOs in the last thirteen years. At no point, in any of those games, have I felt that it would be wise or prudent to send cash or valuables to a stranger. In all cases, I either dealt with friends, or over the AH, or arranged to buy a finished product (for which I might pay cash or materials or some combination thereof). And I've never experienced this as a problem; I'd do the same in real life, after all.

I'm genuinely sorry the OP went through this. I'm not being callous; I don't enjoy the suffering of others. But the OP was foolish and the devs are not responsible for that. Sorry. Next time, please be more careful. That's all that anyone can offer you here: good advice, well intended.

Sure, it happens frequently in other games, and it happens frequently here. But that doesn't mean that there are game systems for this elsewhere, nor does it mean that there ought to be game systems here for this.

In WoW, I know of no mechanic that allows for what the OP is requesting. Nor do I know of any such mechanic in EQ or EQII or LotRO or AoC or DCU or CO or STO or... actually, no games do that, that I know of.

This is utter nonsense. If you engage in a trade with another character, and they somehow found a way to hack the game and force the trade window to cheat you... then sure, devs would step in. But if you get a random stranger to promise to make you something, and you send that total stranger some materials in advance, and then that total stranger rips you off... it's all on you. It's up to you to make sure that your trades are fair. That's not the devs' business, nor should it be. They have other things to spend their time on, besides mediating between parties in trades.

The bottom line is always CAVEAT EMPTOR: "Let the buyer beware". It's your responsibility to ensure that you're happy with the details of the trade. And again, other than hacking or other explicit cheating, the devs have nothing to do with this sort of thing, here or in any other game.

Hardly. I've played over two dozen MMOs in the last thirteen years. At no point, in any of those games, have I felt that it would be wise or prudent to send cash or valuables to a stranger. In all cases, I either dealt with friends, or over the AH, or arranged to buy a finished product (for which I might pay cash or materials or some combination thereof). And I've never experienced this as a problem; I'd do the same in real life, after all.

I'm genuinely sorry the OP went through this. I'm not being callous; I don't enjoy the suffering of others. But the OP was foolish and the devs are not responsible for that. Sorry. Next time, please be more careful. That's all that anyone can offer you here: good advice, well intended.

In WoW, if you engaged in a trade transaction through chat, and you are ripped off, and you report it, there will be an investigation and if the investigation shows you got ripped off, you will get your items back and the offender will be punished. I know this as fact as having had it happen to me. Chat logs showed what was agreed to and trade logs showed what was traded.

It is little different than agreeing to a loot system in pre-made groups only to have the loot distributor go against the agreed upon rules and give an item won by roll to his buddy instead of the roll winner.

Simply put, a system IS in place in WoW to prevent these types of actions.

In WoW, if you engaged in a trade transaction through chat, and you are ripped off, and you report it, there will be an investigation and if the investigation shows you got ripped off, you will get your items back and the offender will be punished. I know this as fact as having had it happen to me. Chat logs showed what was agreed to and trade logs showed what was traded.

It is little different than agreeing to a loot system in pre-made groups only to have the loot distributor go against the agreed upon rules and give an item won by roll to his buddy instead of the roll winner.

Simply put, a system IS in place in WoW to prevent these types of actions.

Exactly.

In WoW it is common to see people in the chat requesting things be made by complete strangers, saying "have mats", meaning that person will provide the crafter with the required crafting materials. And that's because Blizzard enforces the idea that players are entering into a contract by agreeing to craft something for someone and taking those materials. Eventually I'm sure they'll implement a mechanic to automate the crafting without any risk, but until then their GMs act as arbiters.

Personally I doubt SWTOR GMs are not allowed to intervene in this type of case, and to the OP I would suggest trying to report this player's behavior again. CS in this game is very hit or miss, with some of the CSR not even bothering to read past the first couple words of a ticket, or cherry picking out key words like a bot.

Make sure to ask that they check the chat log with an approximate time when it happened, location (zone and server), what chat channels were used (general, trade, whisper, etc.), your character name, their character name, and the name of the item(s) that were transferred. If you get the same response, request that your complaint be escalated, and include all previous CS ticket numbers in that request.

• 5 months later...

This is a joke right? Its an MMO, trade is what makes the economy go around, and we need trustable crafters to make that economy work, depending on guildies to get the crafting recipes would either take forever or everyone would join the same few guilds just to get the trust of the only few ppl on the server who have the recipes, so with your logic, we cant trust most people out there. I agree with the guy who you quoted, saying bioware should implement a system to record the chats, catch the ninjas, punish them, return the mats or item to the original buyer. Its not a bad idea. Its an MMO, whats the point if we cant trust and co-exist with other people? If everyone sticks to their own guildies, and no one can work and trust anyone outside their guilds, the MMO wouldn't be succesfull. Before you come bashing me back, take into account this is just my OPINION of what makes sense to me.

Most folks trade mats for finished product.

Since when to exotech stim schematics drop in HM Ops?

Those can be bought from the Black Hole vendor on fleet. In fact I bought on with a level 20 biochem alt with the coms they gave out for the first round of server mergers. Cost 20 coms I believe.

I could be mistaken, that alt just hit 50 this week and has never been on an op.

Lol resurrecting a thread from May.... anyway, its the OP's fault on this one in my eyes, given the information I have. From what the OP said as far as I can tell, he didnt check to see if the person was online, he didnt ask the "ninja" why it was taking so long, when he traded the mats to the "ninja" he didnt view the "ninja's" schematics to even see if he was a Biochem. This is not BW's responsibilty because OP made a mistake. Edited by Meepbot