Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

Renifizzle

people need to understand that profit from slicing isnt supposed to come from the lockboxes. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off they'll be.

also, if you wanna make profit off of the lockboxes, get off your ***, farm the nodes in the world. Those nodes yield lockboxes, which cost no credits for you to slice.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people need to understand that profit from slicing isnt supposed to come from the lockboxes. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better off they'll be.

also, if you wanna make profit off of the lockboxes, get off your ***, farm the nodes in the world. Those nodes yield lockboxes, which cost no credits for you to slice.

This. I make about extra 50-100k depending on spawns while I do dailies. Is it a huge number? No. But its a nice side money maker that lets you drop something like diplomacy (if you're biochem like me) and make money from 2 different sources.

Actually, that's exactly where the profit is supposed to come from. What makes you think otherwise?

Which is it then? Profit, or no profit?

Slicing was for people who didn't want to do that. Why do we all have to be just like you?

I know, I know... because you want us all to think just like you. It's a game.

You want to grind, be my guest. Don't saddle me with your burden.

Actually, that's exactly where the profit is supposed to come from. What makes you think otherwise?

He means it's not supposed to be profitable through lockboxes using companions ..

Slicing is a gathering skill, therefore, you are supposed to go out and gather the nodes yourself if you really want to profit from the skill

anyone with half a brain can understand this

He means it's not supposed to be profitable through lockboxes using companions ..

Slicing is a gathering skill, therefore, you are supposed to go out and gather the nodes yourself if you really want to profit from the skill

But the thing is, Slicing is profitable doing missions only. With caveats:

• You need to get to 400 skill. You may not make a profit on missions getting to 400 skill.
  • You need to run the right missions. The right missions are Rank 5 Abundant and Rich yield for the most part. You can throw in Rank 6 Abundant if you really want.
  • You need to sell or leverage the mission skills you get when you crit.
  • You need to use the Slicing mission drops you get when you crit and sell the Augments from these.

What's "profitable"? Counting only the lockbox credits (not selling missions or augments):

• Over all missions, average 588 CR profit.
  • Rank 5 Rich Yield missions, average 794 CR profit.
  • Rank 5 Abundant Yield missions, average 503 CR profit.

Is that hugely profitable? Nope.

But it shouldn't be. Slicing is, deep in its bowels, a gathering skill. On top of that, the numbers I posted immediately above assumes you simply vendor valuable missions and augments, and therefore assumes you can't be bothered with the GTN. The simplicity of running missions for pure credits plus never dealing with the GTN has a cost, and that cost means lower profits.

If you want an insanely profitable mission skill, try Underworld Trading and focus on metals. And suck it up and deal with the GTN.

Edited by DarthTHC

Nothing like an insult to sum up, eh? Did you ever consider you may be wrong? Of course not; everyone has to think just like you.

But it shouldn't be. Slicing is, deep in its bowels, a gathering skill. On top of that, the numbers I posted immediately above assumes you simply vendor valuable missions and augments, and therefore assumes you can't be bothered with the GTN. The simplicity of running missions for pure credits plus never dealing with the GTN has a cost, and that cost means lower profits.

If you want an insanely profitable mission skill, try Underworld Trading and focus on metals. And suck it up and deal with the GTN.

o_0 Why would you vendor valuable missions and augments? That is where the profits come from Slicing, As it stands now you pretty much come out even with lockbox's But that isn't why I do it. I do it for when I crit and get those lovely purple mission I can sell for 30k. I think thats why it got nerfed, not only could you sell the mission sheets and augments for high prices considering slicers are the only source for them. but they could also get huge returns on the lockbox's. Not to mention i've seen TONS of slicing nodes in the world as i was leveling. A profit, no matter how small, is still a profit and over time it does add up. Even if its only 700c per lockbox (assuming slicing nodes) and you slice a grand total of 30 an hour while doing your leveling thats a profit of 21000c on top of what you get for your missions, selling junk items, and mob drops. Plus the added bonus of sending your companions out to do stuff while you're doing that and more lockbox's + chances to crit and get missions/ augments which you can sell. It adds up over time. I personally think its fine. But maybe thats just me.

I have more creds than I can spend right now. I can easily do 25K-30k an hour with slicing. Show me a rank 1 missioner that is doing that.

Treasure hunting, dipspit.

I can pull down nearly 50k an hour as long as I stick with it and don't get bored.

although, admittedly, I have to do some tricks, like burning missions and using high-affection companions.

and I am performing a valuable service.

Originally Posted by vengefulreaper

o_0 Why would you vendor valuable missions and augments? That is where the profits come from Slicing,

On servers with a horrid GTN you do what you can with the trash you get i vender any missions i cant use myself its not much but its better then destroying them on my server most missions are marked down to around 1.5k and i cant sell any when i put them for that so a vendering i will go.

slicing missions have completely stopped dropping crafting missions for me. I thought this was a bad patch, but its been 2 weeks, and I'm not even getting crits on slicing missions anymore.

I'm about to drop this crew skill, BW, unless theres some inbound fix for it.

What I still don't understand is so many are preaching that it is a gathering skill. We know that. But why do you also say "run rank 5 missions"? There are rank 6 missions. They should be profitable too. But overall, they result in a loss. That's still a problem no matter how much you mask it as "a gathering skill". It has missions just like every other gathering skill. Other rank 6 gathering missions yield useful product, not take from you.

So, the missions should technically be fixed, or removed. It does not make sense to have them in their current state. If removed, I'll join the "gathering profession" bandwagon too. Until then, there are still issues whether you want to admit it or not. Discussing them on the forum is the best way to get the issues to the developers.

actually, most of my profit from slicing (up until about 8 days ago) was made on the mission drops. Loc kboxes havent been profitable since the nerf.

Some people think if theyre not making money through a credit faucet, that they cant make money anywhere. If you take 5 minutes of your day and list the missions you get from slicing, then you'll be a multi-millionaire. But you seem to have this "im too good to list things on the GTN" complex...so yes, you will never make a dime of profit from slicing.

I posted a few pages back asking how much cash is 'normal' to have at a certain level. I received no answer but I'll try again.

Level 47, 2.150k credits, and for a full day of slicing I got http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/screenshot2012021220481.jpg/

This is normal.

also Mako + 10k affection != standard returns, neither does a jk with t7 and his +2 crit.

As a SW Juggernaut(with 4/5 companions at 10k and the last at 9k) i have 0 bonus to slicing crit or efficiency(the only class to not get a slicing bonus of some kind from crew skills i might add) and i get maybe 1-3 mission crits in an 8 hour period and the majority of them are worthless investigation and diplomacy missions.

Edited by Litefire

This is normal.

also Mako + 10k affection != standard returns, neither does a jk with t7 and his +2 crit.

As a SW Juggernaut(with 4/5 companions at 10k and the last at 9k) i have 0 bonus to slicing crit or efficiency(the only class to not get a slicing bonus of some kind from crew skills i might add) and i get maybe 1-3 mission crits in an 8 hour period and the majority of them are worthless investigation and diplomacy missions.

I feel ya there. I swear I only find diplomacy(dark) and investigation as well on my jedi knight. I wish they would add some 400 skill missions in T6 though, finding 340 in both T5 and T6 is kinda lame.

What I still don't understand is so many are preaching that it is a gathering skill. We know that. But why do you also say "run rank 5 missions"? There are rank 6 missions. They should be profitable too. But overall, they result in a loss. That's still a problem no matter how much you mask it as "a gathering skill". It has missions just like every other gathering skill. Other rank 6 gathering missions yield useful product, not take from you.

So, the missions should technically be fixed, or removed. It does not make sense to have them in their current state. If removed, I'll join the "gathering profession" bandwagon too. Until then, there are still issues whether you want to admit it or not. Discussing them on the forum is the best way to get the issues to the developers.

Gathering Skill.

Take another gathering skill, say Bioanalysis. Run it up to 400. Run Rank 6 missions. Sell what you get on the GTN. Is that profitable? I guarantee it's not. Slicing is exactly the same.

Well, but it's different. Now that you have that 400 Bioanalysis skill, run a few Rich yield Rank 5 missions with it and post those gains on the GTN. Is it profitable? Maybe. Maybe not. And it might be over the course of 100's of missions, but then again it might not. Sort of depends on your server's economy.

But with Slicing, the Rank 5 Rich Yield missions are profitable over the course of 100's of missions. And that's when you consider only the credit box value and completely ignore the gains from crits - missions that sell well.

Your complaint that Slicing shouldn't act like a gathering skill is farcical. It is a gathering skill and works somewhat like one, but better.

Oh, by the way, the Rank 6 Abundant Yield mission is profitable, too.

Edited by DarthTHC

slicing missions have completely stopped dropping crafting missions for me. I thought this was a bad patch, but its been 2 weeks, and I'm not even getting crits on slicing missions anymore.

I'm about to drop this crew skill, BW, unless theres some inbound fix for it.

I have run and tracked 645 slicing missions at 400 skill since 02 February. 91 of those (14%) returned at least 1 mission. 116 of them (18%) crit.

What is your skill? Are you running orange missions? Yellow? Which rank and yield missions are you running?

What if I don't want to "suck it up" and deal with the GTN? It's a game, not a job.

Then run the right slicing missions and vendor the valuable stuff you get on crits. You'll still make a profit, albeit a much lower one than you could otherwise. Lazy = less profit, but lazy still = profit.

Which is... what I said in the post you replied to; you just neglected to quote that part.

Edited by DarthTHC

I run them in this priority: (republic side)

1. Finding Our Way

2. Taking Back Control

3. Azure Databanks

4. Plug the Leak

5. Be Careful What You Read

6. Pointing Fingers

7. Missing Probes

Arranged accidents used to be great with a high rate of crit but I find (for me at least) that it's no longer the case. Perhaps the imperial version gets better results. Don't know if the nerf killed it or I just had a really long bad streak.

If I was going for simply credits and not using the GTN the list would look much different.

That said scavenging brings in more on average. 1485 credit abundant yield missions to get back 4-6(8-10 if crit) of a resource that sells for 500-1000cs per unit is pretty damn nice. Talkin Durasteel and Zal Alloy but I've seen these and other mats (even low level mats) shift to higher numbers.

Then there are other potential yields when you add crafting to the equation.

I'll take a look at the other gathering professions and see how they hold up.

Edited by xxBreemenxx

On servers with a horrid GTN you do what you can with the trash you get i vender any missions i cant use myself its not much but its better then destroying them on my server most missions are marked down to around 1.5k and i cant sell any when i put them for that so a vendering i will go.

Ohhhhh, Okay. Gotcha. I didn't know your GTN was that bad. :( That has to suck. Thats one reason Im hoping they add free (but limited for a duration) Transfers sometime soon. So I can get on a server with good economy. Its weird, My AH is pretty alright imp side. On the rep... you have people posting everything for the DEFAULT price listing. So something that usually goes for like 30k imp side is 400c rep side. -_- but that is pretty bad though, I can understand why you vendor.

Then run the right slicing missions and vendor the valuable stuff you get on crits. You'll still make a profit, albeit a much lower one than you could otherwise. Lazy = less profit, but lazy still = profit.

Lol, always has to end in an insult. "Lazy" is not the proper description. Remember, it's a game.