Is it me of Lost island HM is overtuned??

AAAARRRRRGHHHHH....

PEOPLE !!! this flashpoint is really doable with ranged and melee, no difference since 1.4 !

If you still say 'take ranged" then sorry, i really rarely say that, but learn to play god damnit!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say it again, mDPS was easy before or after 1.4 provide the player knew his/her abilities. Any fight in the game can be done with either mDPS or rDPS, just as easily if both groups know their abilities and knows living average DPS is better than the greatest dead DPS. Too often as a healer I see dps (both rdps and mdps) stand in AOE or not use defensive cooldowns because they seem to think that will significantly lower their dps number. Up until now I never understood that play style, but I am leveling a knight now and that leaping from mob to mob annihilating everything is darn addictive, but it does not translate to group play.

We wiped just 2 weeks ago from Malgus channeling, "Unlimited Power" in FE. I think exactly due to that arrogance. I dont know how much damage that attack deals but it gotta be massive because we wiped immediately despite our fancy gear. haha It was a really nice experience actually, cause we were so excessively confident we didnt even have a tank due to our gear, 3 dps and 1 healer to speed things up. They say pride comes before a fall. Agreed!
Yeah not interrupting that is pretty much the only way to wipe in FE anymore. It has such a long casting time it is almost impossible to miss, but I have seen many tanks just ignore it in pugs. Usually do this with a guild friend; we have taken to giving each other heart attacks in this fight. If playing my shadow I will wait to see if the Tank gets it until the last second. My friend playing a trooper healer will be freaking. If I am playing on my sawbones, he will do the same thing to me. Surprise how often we do this, because when my same friend is playing his shadow tank you hardly ever even see the cast bar, he hit interrupt when the animation first starts. Edited by mikebevo

I will say it again, mDPS was easy before or after 1.4 provide the player knew his/her abilities. Any fight in the game can be done with either mDPS or rDPS, just as easily if both groups know their abilities and knows living average DPS is better than the greatest dead DPS.

Knowing how to do it an executing that are different things. It is no secret that this encounter was very unforgiving for melee groups before the patch, if it was not so it would not be tuned the way it currently is. Bioware obviously doesn't agree that both ranged and melee dps group experience the same level of difficulty in that flashpoint. All this talk uttered by people is nothing short of showing off (I am pro) attitude.

Edited by Ephesia

Kowing how to do it an executing that are different things. It is no secret that this encounter was very unforgiving for melee groups before the patch, if it was not so it would not be tuned the way it currently is. Bioware obviously doesn't agree that both ranged and melee dps group experience the same level of difficulty in that flashpoint. All this talk uttered by people is nothing short of showing off (I am pro) attitude.

I am Infiltration shadow, there is no showing off with that class. That is one of my reasons for thinking LI HM has always been easy, if I can do it with that spec and my lack of skill everyone should be able to do it. I do however know my abilities.

I am Infiltration shadow, there is no showing off with that class. That is one of my reasons for thinking LI HM has always been easy, if I can do it with that spec and my lack of skill everyone should be able to do it. I do however know my abilities.

No just because you can do it doesn't mean everyone can. LI HM was never meant as an easy flashpoint. People who say they are easy are the ones who got pretty good at tactic execution and doesn't spend so much time in Pugs with people who actually don't have spotless mechanic execution skills. Also there are a lot of people who overgear the content and think it's easy, this is not true. In fact it still is not an easy flashpoint for those groups with Columi gear (albeit easier now than pre 1.4)

I too enjoyed the challenge pre-1.4 HM LI gave me as a tank. It could sometimes be frustrating experience with people who do not fully grasp how fights work, but the end satisfaction was a nice feeling. But I never ever once thought that the challenge is fair to everyone. The Mechanics blatantly favored some classes over others. This does not mean it's not doable, but it does mean it was more challenging with other class setups.

.. The Mechanics blatantly favored some classes over others. ...

I agree with most of what you said, but not this.

I've healed LI many many times before 1.4 dropped. In most cases it was with a melee group. Every 12 seconds the melee would run to me, drop the energy coil and run back. I would side step just enough to overlap the coils, leaving plenty of room. The melee made sure to always attack from behind so that if someone missed an incinerate I only had to cleanse it off the tank.

This strategy was very straightforward to execute. Factually, it was simpler than the kite around the room strat we're running now after 1.4.

I brought two brand-new melee dps players through LI (shadow dps & guardian dps) before the 1.4 update. An explanation of the strat, one wipe due to juggling the mechanics, followed by a successful attempt on the second try.

These two players were recent level 50s, has a few pieces of columi and had never passed LR-5 before. The reason they passed this time is we had a good strat, explained it well, and they knew how to listen. This wouldn't be the case if the encounter blatantly favored ranged over melee.

I've healed LI many many times before 1.4 dropped. In most cases it was with a melee group. Every 12 seconds the melee would run to me, drop the energy coil and run back. I would side step just enough to overlap the coils, leaving plenty of room. The melee made sure to always attack from behind so that if someone missed an incinerate I only had to cleanse it off the tank.

This strategy was very straightforward to execute. Factually, it was simpler than the kite around the room strat we're running now after 1.4.

I brought two brand-new melee dps players through LI (shadow dps & guardian dps) before the 1.4 update. An explanation of the strat, one wipe due to juggling the mechanics, followed by a successful attempt on the second try.

These two players were recent level 50s, has a few pieces of columi and had never passed LR-5 before. The reason they passed this time is we had a good strat, explained it well, and they knew how to listen. This wouldn't be the case if the encounter blatantly favored ranged over melee.

Dude it is pretty much obvious. Ranged classes don't have to run over to you every 12 seconds and lose precious DPS time, while melees had to. Btw nice tactic. My opinion still stands though.

Nice strat. But theres no need to kite it anymore. You can now always tank it in center, since theres no more random energy coils only his targeting plasma arcs. Party only needs to place those arcs far enough from center. Its easier than easy now. No challenge whatsoever.

Dude it is pretty much obvious. Ranged classes don't have to run over to you every 12 seconds and lose precious DPS time, while melees had to. Btw nice tactic. My opinion still stands though.

True that.

But the dps race on LR-5 isn't that bad. 389,304 health / 180 second enrage timer = 2162 dps for the group. As a healer I keep my DoT on him (100 dps), if tank does about 450 dps, that leaves 800 dps for the melee. Even with the running out and in, that should be easily doable.

You forget mDPS tend to bring much higher DPS anyway, so thats just only to even things. It doesnt make any difference

And what adv. class are u and what role? I really fail to understand why you persist on claiming the non existent difficutly of this instance.

I

... Usually do this with a guild friend; we have taken to giving each other heart attacks in this fight. If playing my shadow I will wait to see if the Tank gets it until the last second. My friend playing a trooper healer will be freaking. If I am playing on my sawbones, he will do the same thing to me...

Made me laugh. Everytime you do this you lower your life expectancy by 2-3 months

Edited by Sithcreep

Yeah not interrupting that is pretty much the only way to wipe in FE anymore. It has such a long casting time it is almost impossible to miss, but I have seen many tanks just ignore it in pugs. Usually do this with a guild friend; we have taken to giving each other heart attacks in this fight. If playing my shadow I will wait to see if the Tank gets it until the last second. My friend playing a trooper healer will be freaking. If I am playing on my sawbones, he will do the same thing to me. Surprise how often we do this, because when my same friend is playing his shadow tank you hardly ever even see the cast bar, he hit interrupt when the animation first starts.

This made me laugh -- that is pretty awesome.

Incidentally, there is a buff icon that appears before he casts it. I've accidentally hit my interrupt right when I saw the icon, but before the cast bar started, and it actually interrupted it.

Incidentally, there is a buff icon that appears before he casts it. I've accidentally hit my interrupt right when I saw the icon, but before the cast bar started, and it actually interrupted it.
i was wondering how my friend on his tank interrupted it so fast. He told me he could tell by the animation, but I could never pick up the clues before the castbar started. Doing HM TfB with him tonight, thinking someone will be getting less heals than normal. :p Edited by mikebevo

You forget mDPS tend to bring much higher DPS anyway, so thats just only to even things. It doesnt make any difference

And what adv. class are u and what role? I really fail to understand why you persist on claiming the non existent difficutly of this instance.

Made me laugh. Everytime you do this you lower your life expectancy by 2-3 months

it should be obvious from my messages and my signature, but I'm a tank. It doesn't matter anyway, your claims of nonexistent difficulty are false. Just because you can do it and you feel it is easy does not necessarily make it easy for everyone.

it should be obvious from my messages and my signature, but I'm a tank. It doesn't matter anyway, your claims of nonexistent difficulty are false. Just because you can do it and you feel it is easy does not necessarily make it easy for everyone.

It could be just because your way of Tanking it is easier for rDPS, that does not mean another Tanks way of doing it isn't just as easy for mDPS. I have done it with range and melee dps as a healer and different tanks and I think it depends on the players more than it depends on their class. I have watched mdps stand in AOEs, but I have watched rdps do the same thing. I will say I do like to have at least one trooper when I am healing, not because they take less damage, but because they have Mortar Volley for when all the adds decide to attack the healer. Of course that still just depends on the player. Most PUGs don't ever look at the healers health bar falling like a rock while they are getting hit by adds and the tank is taking damage so they are busy healing the tank.

Edited by mikebevo

The mechanics rather than the damage are what kill you in LI.

Once you understand the mechanics you can run it with whatever and still clear it.

I either DPS or heal, usually heal these days as it takes less time to get a group.

Most of the time I go through and don't need to say anything at all in the whole FP.

It drops a rakata chest among 4 people with no lockout instead of having to do a 8/16 man weekly which is 1 drop per 4 players and even then it might be the wrong one.

It's an incredibly easy and fast rakata drop, it's not too much to ask that you learn the mechanics for it.

It could be just because your way of Tanking it is easier for rDPS, that does not mean another Tanks way of doing it isn't just as easy for mDPS. I have done it with range and melee dps as a healer and different tanks and I think it depends on the players more than it depends on their class. I have watched mdps stand in AOEs, but I have watched rdps do the same thing. I will say I do like to have at least one trooper when I am healing, not because they take less damage, but because they have Mortar Volley for when all the adds decide to attack the healer. Of course that still just depends on the player. Most PUGs don't ever look at the healers health bar falling like a rock while they are getting hit by adds and the tank is taking damage so they are busy healing the tank.

I understand wat you are saying but there are several ways to go with this boss and all of them presented more of a challenge for the mdps than the rdps. I repeat, certainly not in a way "not doable with mdps" but more challenge. And I am talking with my PUG experiences when defending my opinion on this. You are talking about a hypothetical scenario where everyone is fully aware of their surroundings and health bars as well as mechanics. Of course the fight is rather easy (just has a dps check for columi level players) if you execute the tactics flawlessly and everyone is aware and focused. But most of the time you won't have those ideal circumstances in a PuG environment, just as you have mentioned in a few examples. The player factor remains the most important one in determining difficulty. I merely explain you my overall experience. I right now rolfstomp this content every week with pugs too -- and that annoys me, but it has not made me forget the strife I've had getting through the first boss when I had worse gear and experience.

Definitely not op anymore, did it with a random pug yesterday to see what the fuss is about, one shot all the bosses. No one was overgeared, I think none of was above 20k hp (probably the tank had something like 20-21 k).