life day items on cartel market insulting.

gabarooni

I have to agree with the OP, this is just disgusting.

For a limited time only and yet for a price which would take 4-5 months to save up for, at least, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes there will be people who knee jerk and say 'well you don't have to buy them', and sure, you don't. But these are very obviously items that would work perfectly well in an event, but instead you're being forced to either fork out alot of real money to get them, or pay the extreamly high premium they will be on the GTN. They could have made a fun, interactive event out of these, and had them on the market for those who would rather buy them, but instead its cash only. Personally I've never seen something this disgusting in a holiday 'event' in an MMO before.

But I guess this should have been forseeable, this is basically the company who does the Sims 3 store.

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already gave some of my thoughts about this on another thread.

Up until now I've pretty much been a big supporter of the Cartel Market.

I'm now somewhat speechless and almost don't know what more to say other than 'WOW' and :confused:

No events? Charging for disposable fireworks I had thought were only going to be free? Had been looking forward to this day thinking I was going to have a good festive time firing off all mine at once but now, if they give us some "free" ones for subscribing, they're going strait to the GTN.

Think I may be smelling the coffee for the first time. Fear I helped grow this monster by spending too much money buying CC. I'm sorry.

Edited by Belacose

Bioware is proving to behave like shysters with this type of FTP/Sub hybrid model, they either need to make all Cartel items available for reasonable in game cash at a VENDOR or increase the monthly coins for subs to 1200, or drop the sub price itself, pick one Bioware because right now, the "new" cartel stuff you are charging your long time subscribers for, should be included in content release that our monthly charge pays for.

Yup one of these.

It's plain insulting to be asked to effectively pay many times for the same thing. :mad:

Events are never on PTS, or even announced before they are already here.

Clearly you must be new... Past Events were on the PTS... Walkthru/Write ups made before it went live... Stop by Dulfy.net sometime she always has great writeups!

Everyone is so caught up in their own interpretation of the word event and the Life Day fluff they are missing the fact that we got... a new War Zone! lol!

I'll make my own "event", thank you very much.

Servers are up. And its 5am my time.... its going to be a great day.

IT's all good. I don't want to grind out thousands of comms for the space stuff, glad it's on the cartel. And it's great the cartel stuff provides the Life Day stuff, better than sitting around in a big group waiting to die in some stupid event (hi rakghoul plague!).

Great additions, can't wait to top up my cartel coins.

GG Bioware :)

I have to agree with the OP, this is just disgusting.

For a limited time only and yet for a price which would take 4-5 months to save up for, at least, is an absolute disgrace.

Yes there will be people who knee jerk and say 'well you don't have to buy them', and sure, you don't. But these are very obviously items that would work perfectly well in an event, but instead you're being forced to either fork out alot of real money to get them, or pay the extreamly high premium they will be on the GTN. They could have made a fun, interactive event out of these, and had them on the market for those who would rather buy them, but instead its cash only. Personally I've never seen something this disgusting in a holiday 'event' in an MMO before.

But I guess this should have been forseeable, this is basically the company who does the Sims 3 store.

Yeah I don't see anything massively wrong with doing it like that (even if it is a bit P2W, but for cosmetic items I can live with that), although I still would probably say it was a bit steep in cost.

When you consider other DLC of a similar nature in other game would likely cost much, much less and be availilbe for any character you have in that game.

I just can't believe Bioware EA thougth this was remotely sensible, I have to wonder who if anyone is actually watching over this management-wise. :confused:

Clearly you must be new... Past Events were on the PTS... Walkthru/Write ups made before it went live... Stop by Dulfy.net sometime she always has great writeups!

Rakghoul plague was internally tested to the point where, they shut down the studio for 2 days, and everyone was expected to be playing ToR to test the event before it went live.

The Arms Race event was tested on PTS, and tbh absolutely sucked. You wouldn't need a dulfy guide to make your way through the fetch and grab rubbish that was that event.

What's the point of subbing for the game if there going to make us pay to join into the holiday events this is total load of BS
I don't know about you but I sub for...

- Supporting the game over the long term. It's a product I like, and don't mind spending $15/mo to play it.

- Access to just about every restriction placed on free to play and preferred without having to spend a rather large amount of money at once. It's much easier for me to afford $15/mo until I no longer please, than it is for me to come up with the ~$100-$200 at once for all the account wide and character specific legacy unlocks.

I don't sub for...

Entitlement reasons.

Special privileges.

The right to complain about how f2p has ruined every aspect of the game, from ninja looters to server stability, and continued development of the cash shop.

I don't know about you but I sub for...

- Supporting the game over the long term. It's a product I like, and don't mind spending $15/mo to play it.

- Access to just about every restriction placed on free to play and preferred without having to spend a rather large amount of money at once. It's much easier for me to afford $15/mo until I no longer please, than it is for me to come up with the ~$100-$200 at once for all the account wide and character specific legacy unlocks.

I don't sub for...

Entitlement reasons.

Special privileges.

The right to complain about how f2p has ruined every aspect of the game, from ninja looters to server stability, and continued development of the cash shop.

Even if you ignore what Bioware EA said about subscribers and content............ having to pay on top of a subscription for holiday "event" items is just plain wrong, never mind pay SO MUCH for them.

There is no justification for this, there is only pure out and out milking of customers (or an attempt anyway, I see this blowning up in their faces to be honest).

Edited by Goretzu

Apparently you must be new, or have no idea what does event mean.

There were 2 events so far, both were gated with new quest appearing each day, and any writeups were appearing as it went, never before.

Loads of bickering and arguing here, as always. The have and the have-nots going to war. Cash shops are poison plain and simple. It is corruption at its purest form. People support them and people don't. But it's the people who support and use them that help spread the disease.

"But these cash shops help keep the game alive and improve it!" some people say.

Really? So you think that a company that is being controlled at it's highest levels by the most greedy deceptive corporation, well one of em at least, in the business isn't going to continue to force anything that players would want or find tempting at all straight into the cash shop?

Like EA is going to say "Hey fellow pig dogs, look at all this money pouring in from our gambling packs and recolored armors that are already in the game!" and then say.

"Ok, we made enough money for now, hey Bioware!"

"Yes my dark lords of satan!" Jeff Hickman replies.

"We have made enough money this year from your silly online game, you can release future content straight into the game for now." EA great satan says.

"Oh thank you my lord!" Hickman snivels as he shuffles into the shadows.

Yeah, I highly doubt it. All this cash shop will reinforce is that they can make a lot more money at a faster rate then subscribers paying their fees. It will show the pigs at the top that too. Which will and has already lead to things being directly funneled into the shop and not the game, via Life Day Items, Cathar, and whatever else will pop up in it and not the actual game.

"Well troll, the players don't have to buy them if they don't want them." or "The player doesn't have to buy them, they can wait till it gets put on the GTN for a incredibly retarded amount of credits."

True and true. But that player and other players like him/her might buckle in the desire for said content and pay which just helps spread the disease. Or certain players might buy said content for the sole reason of selling it on the GTN to fatten their virtual pockets, which in turn also spreads the corruption of the cash shop.

This is why f2p and sub/cash shop games are a virus infecting and destroying this once great genre of gaming. And we are all already infected.

Already gave some of my thoughts about this on another thread.

Up until now I've pretty much been a big supporter of the Cartel Market.

I'm now somewhat speechless and almost don't know what more to say other than 'WOW' and :confused:

No events? Charging for disposable fireworks I had thought were only going to be free? Had been looking forward to this day thinking I was going to have a good festive time firing off all mine at once but now, if they give us some "free" ones for subscribing, they're going strait to the GTN.

Think I may be smelling the coffee for the first time. Fear I helped grow this monster by spending too much money buying CC. I'm sorry.

Yeah I wonder if the intial F2P cashshop splurdge has got $$$ signs behind the management at Bioware EA eyes.

Nothing else really explains how they could have thought this was going to be ok with paying customers. :confused:

Even if you ignore what Bioware EA said about subscribers and content............ having to pay on top of a subscription for holiday "event" items is just plain wrong, never mind pay SO MUCH for them.

There is no justification for this, there is only pure out and out milking of customers (or an attempt anyway, I see this blowning up in their faces to be honest).

I can agree with this. But as others have mentioned, we still don't know if there will be a subscriber event, or subscriber gifts in our mail later. Who's to say we won't see patch 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 as a last minute gift or event implementation for us. It's really too early to turn the rage dial up to 11 because they put the items in the cartel market as soon as possible.

I can agree with this. But as others have mentioned, we still don't know if there will be a subscriber event, or subscriber gifts in our mail later. Who's to say we won't see patch 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 as a last minute gift or event implementation for us. It's really too early to turn the rage dial up to 11 because they put the items in the cartel market as soon as possible.

If Bioware have an ounce of sense they'll be furiously coding this as we type.

Having said the they still haven't fixed the CE banner for existing characters yet so...........

Also it's no use having an event for these after people have bought them, again that is profiteering of the worst sort.

^ I so agree, very misleading, but there always hope there might be an event.... even if really small. :(

For the sake of SWTOR there better be or it's a sad sad day for a game I so loved.

Had really been looking foward to this day. Now I'm bummed beyond all else.

Today may be the first time I've experienced buyer's remorse from the CM. Today may be the first time since I started playing that I begin to look for another game? Honestly don't really know how I'll feel after I wake up. I love Star Wars and know that I did love SWTOR. Maybe even if I still do love it it won't matter anyways if they just added the nails to their own coffin?

Edited by Belacose