"Tab" targeting. A nightmare.

Verill

Can anyone answer as to whether or not they have even acknowledged that they think there is an issue??

I want them to either say, "yeah, we are working on it," or "we like it just the way it is."

This way I can either keep hope, or drop it completely.

Targeting in this game is HORRIBLE, especially in pvp.

No I don't think they even know, and is the reason why the last swtor community manager was fired, post like this have been all over the forums over the last 6+ months and all we really ever get is a Bio rep doing some crowd control pointing us to other links, the real issues at hand never gets addressed because they never make it to the dev team, I hope our new swtor community manager is on the ball and reports all the credible post to the dev team to take a closer look.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply saying, Tab targeting is horrible. Completely broken.

Please make it more intelligent by:

Rotating targets according to the char's current 90% vision cone.

Rotating targets according to distance.

Not just randomly in a way that makes us really... really angry.

Support this thread and hopefully we will get some developer think he is up for the task of programming this.

Updated:

The good (or sith evil) players on this thread made nice suggestions which I think could be summed up to these recommendations.

1. Target enemy center screen - Cycles through enemies in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

2. Target friendly center screen - Cycles through friendly in 45 degree cone centered by your screen (not by where the toon is looking) and according to distance.

Please make more comments and suggestions, also about this update.

Updated:

1. Make targeting cycle "reset" after not tabbing for more than X seconds. (Hint: A menu slider for X)

2. Cycle will always go from nearest to farthest

This is of course on top the recommendations from last update.

omg yes, I can't count how many times an enemy leaps to me and I try to tab target to him...only to see the 3-4 targets FARTHEST away get highlighted first, I lose valuable seconds this way in PvP. Please take serious consideration of this issue, tab targetting needs to be a bit smarter and more user-friendly than what it currently is.

I am so relieved I thought it was some how my fault, this is quite possibly one of the most annoying things in this game. Clicking on players is the worst too, name plates should be clickable.

God bless all 81 pages of this thread. This issue should have been resolved a long time ago. In the other MMOs I have played this has never even been an after thought.

WHAT A LET DOWN TO EVERY PLAYER.

/signed, OP. This happens to me every day:

Oh god there is a guy with the huttball right in front of me I should target him

*tab*

What? It targeted someone that's not even on my screen!

*tab*

It targeted someone that I can't even see because he's around the corner!

*tabtabtab*

OH MY GOD ITS TARGETING PEOPLE ACROSS THE DAMN MAP THAT ISN'T EVEN IN RANGE OR IN FRONT OF ME

*tabtabtabtabtabtabtabtabta-*

OH **** it targeted him BUT NOW I SKIPPED PAST HIM

*shift-tab*

No!? You're not going to target the last person on my list, you're going to get someone COMPLETELY AT RANDOM!?

Tab targeting needs to prioritize people at the center of your screen, not behind you, not so far away that you can't even attack them, not behind something, not off your damn screen, PRIORITIZED AT THE CENTER OF YOUR SCREEN in order of importance (low HP, marked, carrying the huttball, capturing a control point, etc). The game should at least make a good guess who I want to target so that even if I don't get the guy I want right away, I won't have to tab 8 times only to realize I got him on the 7th and have to click him anyway.

PS, MAKE IT EASIER TO FRAGGING CLICK-TARGET SOMEONE!! JESUS! I should not feel like I'm playing a FPS just to target someone! Feels like even if I click someone, it won't register because my mouse has to be on them for both the click AND release! It should be downpress only and have a larger box than just their model! Once again, if they are "high-priority" (see above), make their click-hitbox higher priority too so that people gathering around them won't keep them from being targeted.

Edited by Vid-szhite

Target center screen is an absolutely must to set up on your key bindings untill they fix this. It takes away a great deal of the pain.

Target Center Screen is woefully insufficient because it targets both enemy and friendly, and if you get the wrong guy, it doesn't change targets unless you wobble the center of your screen around. No matter what option you pick, you're fighting the game, not the players.

not gona read all these pages here to see if this was mentioned but I will add what I hate the most about tab targeting.

Being on the main level in huttbal and trying to target the only guy on my screen uptop..is a nightmare

also

Being on the top ramps in huttball and hitting tab and leap to the only guy in the endzone who is the ONLY ENEMY on my screen, only to be leaping to joe shmoe down in the pit is maddening

Edited by nerfAvari

signed

interestingly enough Warhammer suffered from the very same problem

I dont think Warhammer was anywheres near as bad as this though..generally in Warhammer I had my target dead on in 2-3 passes.

in ToR I have actually had to resort to CLICKING the person...its horrendous! :(

Yes the tab targetting is awful. I played WAR and never felt like this about it. Say what you want about wow, their system was smooth as silk. In this game I feel it is actually going out of its way to select the wrong target. Absolutely infuriating in crunch moments. The only saving grace is that it is the same for everyone.

Of all the things in the game it is this and the wall of red spam constantly on my screen that annoys me the most.

• 9 months later...

What I find - suggestions and perspective

I assign the scroll key on my mouse with scroll down being nearest enemy and scroll up being center screen. All good except in pvp. I know there is a difference in speed in PVP and PVE and alot less tolerance for an error so this is why my frustration is magnified, also I keep my fps on and notice if FPS dips below 15 this is when toons start to skip in and out and targeting is broken. I know my machine is older and I do not have the fastest speed, but instead of listing everything I will let ya'll not Im in the recommended for category for hardware and I still get the same FPS with full bars and less than 57 lag. Not trying to move from targeting to lag, but the major area for complaint for both is in PVP

Now to give BioWare a break, fewer complaints for that way older other thing that was made sometime after the model T, because there was/is alot less to deal with as far as active processes and sysytems to balance in real time. I work on web sites and have gone to work only to find that what worked fine today and was alot simpler is now broken and you have to learn and invest in new technologies and methods that then create a whole set of new problems that you just fixed last week. This nightmare is driven by both the consumer and industry.

What does this mean, even when the game runs slow and everything is going haywire please let me use qwik keys to target effectively. No movement on the screen or wireframe controlled POV should be less stress on all processes and fewer broken keyboards.

I just want to hit [rephrased to] the enemy I can see over the head (in roleplaying where it is allowed).

click >target>click qwik key ability (fire/defend/heal) == fighting chance

the rest is up to me

I don't even fight it anymore.

I hit tab twice. That's it. Whether it's the target I want or not that's gonna be the guy I'm attacking.

If I lose the door, oh well. If I lose the turret because tab decided I wanted to fight a guy 20 m behind me while the guy RIGHT in front of me is capping, oh well. People I play with refer to me as Ten Second Tom because of the complete randomness that I will cause more often than not.

Oddly enough, this works out to my advantage more times than I can count. But when it doesn't it's pretty hilarious. "WHAT THE ****!?!" Over vent as I leap across Void Star to let that Op that was right in front of me cap the door.

"TEN SECOND TOM STRIKES AGAIN!"

Edited by Gankstah

I don't even fight it anymore.

I hit tab twice. That's it. Whether it's the target I want or not that's gonna be the guy I'm attacking.

If I lose the door, oh well. If I lose the turret because tab decided I wanted to fight a guy 20 m behind me while the guy RIGHT in front of me is capping, oh well. People I play with refer to me as Ten Second Tom because of the complete randomness that I will cause more often than not.

Oddly enough, this works out to my advantage more times than I can count. But when it doesn't it's pretty hilarious. "WHAT THE ****!?!" Over vent as I leap across Void Star to let that Op that was right in front of me cap the door.

"TEN SECOND TOM STRIKES AGAIN!"

This story made me chuckle. Very nice.

Did not read all the post so not sure if this has been mentioned. Best targeting I have seen and used in all the MMOs I have played was in SWG. You could set up targeting so you could cycle targets outward or cycle targets inward. Outward started with closest target to you and worked its way out (these were targets in your line of sight). Inward started with the target longest distance away and worked its way in.

This would be great in a Void match. As a healer standing in the back healing and someone starts to pop the door, I just use my Inward targeting to get a lock on him quickly to interupt. It really was a great targeting system. I always used outward for the close range melee, and used inward for the ranged in the back. I have played a couple other MMOs that used versions of this targeting, but never worked as smooth. Most MMOs use the standard tab targeting sadly.