mandalorians and nonforce users in star wars movies

therealeasy

i know there are star wars novels, comics, graphic novels, games like KOTOR which were great as well, etc

they have added a lot to the SW universe

but when i think of star wars i think of the original trilogy

one of the most interesting additions, present in this game and the lore, are the mandalorians, who were even said to have warred and battled the jedi

but, the only 'mandalorian-esque' character in the movies, was bobba fett, who in my opinion was a rather weak subservient character who was dispatched by luke as not much more than an inconvenience and polished off by solo in a moment of comedy relief.. flying into the sand monster

also the idea that nonforce users , smugglers, republic or imperial troops, could fight jedi, who in the original series seemed to be very rare , and their lightsabres were regarded as special. for example, solo often comes up with the plan and does great against the empire guards, but you dont see him blasting darth vader. when he does, vader blocks the shots with his hands and pulls his gun effortlessly... the movies really give an idea that jedi are far more powerful. even thinking about it, the jedis used the force which set them above during the space combat scenes, from what i can remember.

i know the lore has changed and classes are balanced so everyone can be useful but i would be interested to hear others opinion on this. it seems the game is clearly more based on a 'universal SW lore' perspective than an ode to the original trilogy

i personally think it is great, i like the balance and the mandalorians, but does everyone?

but, the only 'mandalorian-esque' character in the movies, was bobba fett, who in my opinion was a rather weak subservient character who was dispatched by luke as not much more than an inconvenience and polished off by solo in a moment of comedy relief.. flying into the sand monster

Dude, he CLIMBED out of the Sarlacc's mouth afterwards, a feat that no-one else has ever done, and went on to become Mandalore. Boba Fett was epic.

OK but that is an invention of the out-of-movies lore right? In the movie it doesnt show that and implies he gets eaten

i read a few books and would like to check out more but i am not too familiar with the other literature so i dont know if he became a ****** but in the movie he was definitely not a 'mandalorian warrior,' again i like the mandalorians but i dont think they are mentioned in the movie at all

similarly the idea of thousands of jedi seems detached from the originals

i understand this is the old republic and i think this game is great and i like the lore, i just think, between the mass number and proliferation of jedi and lightsabres, the extravagant armor and the new lore... besides some references to them, it feels several steps detached from the original films

Well when Han was shooting at Vader he wasn't shooting at some nobody. We have to assume Vader was one of the most powerful force user ever to live. Not to mention it was his trap and he knew exactly what Han will do.

I still believe that if some nobody with a blaster shot the most powerful force user in the back and caught him off guard he would kill him.

Original Trilogy is very realistic and practical about this matter. Vader picks up Emperor (the most powerful force user ever) and throws him into the reactor shaft. Luke is hit into his cybernetic hand by some random scum (it could be his head). Han shoots Greedo while he is doing some pointless talking. Boba get blown away by accident. And so on.

Edited by Path-x

Jango jett took on obi wan and could be said he won. he also only lost to Mace because he was trampled and had his jet pack damaged. Also Ki-Adi-Mundi was killed by a squad of clones in combat. Not to mention the clones attacked the jedi temple and killed lots of jedi in combat.

Also as the 'Hope' cinematic shows Jedi/Sith cannot block explosives.

Jedi are powerful but not immortal, they can only block so many shots so if you fire enough at them you will get a few shots past their defence and they will fall.

All it would take is a knowledge of jedi and skill/planning to take one down.

I think Darth Vader is a special case - and that little trick with absorbing Han's blaster shots only worked because he was expecting it long before the Force could warn him of it.

The battle of Geonosia shows that in an outright battle a Jedi falls when they are hit by a blaster bolt. As does Order 66 show. Jedi and Sith may be have special powers, but they are not demi-gods. They are faster than anyone else, have a high pain threshold, more flexible, stronger.... but a blaster bolt in the head is still a blaster bolt in the head.

A bit difficult is the lightsaber thing. While in literature it is often handled otherwise, the movies imply that nothing can withstand a lightsaber blade, so melee is out of the question. That makes it actually pointless to wear the entire armour - at least for the purpose of protection from the enemies assault. Then again armour is handled extremely... strange in the movies. The storm trooper's armour cannot even withstand Leia's hold out blaster in the movies, so it's fair to assume armour works better if you're the hero in the story, as opposed to a random villain goon; up to the degree of withstanding "light" hits by a lightsaber blade.

I think Darth Vader is a special case - and that little trick with absorbing Han's blaster shots only worked because he was expecting it long before the Force could warn him of it.

The battle of Geonosia shows that in an outright battle a Jedi falls when they are hit by a blaster bolt. As does Order 66 show. Jedi and Sith may be have special powers, but they are not demi-gods. They are faster than anyone else, have a high pain threshold, more flexible, stronger.... but a blaster bolt in the head is still a blaster bolt in the head.

A bit difficult is the lightsaber thing. While in literature it is often handled otherwise, the movies imply that nothing can withstand a lightsaber blade, so melee is out of the question. That makes it actually pointless to wear the entire armour - at least for the purpose of protection from the enemies assault. Then again armour is handled extremely... strange in the movies. The storm trooper's armour cannot even withstand Leia's hold out blaster in the movies, so it's fair to assume armour works better if you're the hero in the story, as opposed to a random villain goon; up to the degree of withstanding "light" hits by a lightsaber blade.

1. Overwhelming Numbers

2. Overwhelming numbers + surprise attack

Those things are really the only reason so many jedi die. In a 1 on 1 engagement with a fully trained jedi, you might aswell just throw your blaster away.

As for the Stormtrooper armor, its only ineffective cause the Rebels used armor penetrating blasters. As for the Stormtrooper that got hit, he could have survived only just got knocked down and suffering some damage as Leia's sport blaster was low power and only used for small game hunting.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

1. Overwhelming Numbers

2. Overwhelming numbers + surprise attack

Those things are really the only reason so many jedi die. In a 1 on 1 engagement with a fully trained jedi, you might aswell just throw your blaster away.

Jango Fet did shoot a Jedi during the same battle in the movies... Which is what made him overconfident and make him engage Windu directly - but still it shows - it is possible.

Of course it's not easy but the movies show clearly - with the exception of the one scene with Darth Vader and Han in the City in the Clouds - if a Jedi is hit by a blaster bolt they die just like everyone else.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Jango Fet did shoot a Jedi during the same battle in the movies... Which is what made him overconfident and make him engage Windu directly - but still it shows - it is possible.

Of course it's not easy but the movies show clearly - with the exception of the one scene with Darth Vader and Han in the City in the Clouds - if a Jedi is hit by a blaster bolt they die just like everyone else.

Ya...Jango shot a jedi that wasn't a warrior, who was more of a negotiator then anything else...that is hardly a feat of taking down a jedi with a blaster. I am talking about a jedi who knows combat here. Yes jedi can die from a blaster shot, but how likely is that? Not very.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I have to make the point that the dart Jango shot into the Clawdite in Episode II could have easily hit either Anakin or Obi-wan. They were distracted by their prisoner and would have fallen. A Jedi can not always be on guard, since they are only mortal, even Sidious was distracted while torturing Luke. Windu kept focus on Palpatine while Anakin was there. Sometimes what a Jedi lacks is common sense, like knowing Anakin was a long term friend of Palpatine. Knowing this he still trusted a Jedi that had long term exposure to a Sith lord. But Windu is still awesome as are all Jedi/Sith. But we all must accept the Force Users are all mortal with just fewer limitations, but all regardless fall to....

Khem: Mistress Death

Ya...Jango shot a jedi that wasn't a warrior, who was more of a negotiator then anything else...that is hardly a feat of taking down a jedi with a blaster. I am talking about a jedi who knows combat here. Yes jedi can die from a blaster shot, but how likely is that? Not very.

Speculative. The movie gives no information of who the Jedi was. The fact remains that jango Fet did shoot a Jedi. There is no reason to assume that that Jedi somehow doesn't count.

Edited by Rabenschwinge