Assassin tank stats connundrum

sankalp

Hi All,

Let me start by giving you my current stats. I have always been very high mitigation and it has worked well for me. I have cleared all content till date and this is ore of a prep for Thursday.

My stats atm are:

Fully buffed+exo stims

24452 HP

27.9% def

48.97% shield

63.56% absorb

I have been lucky enough to learn robust 27 and robust 27B mods so I can craft as many as I want for each.

The problem I have is all this talk of EHP vs Max mitigation has me undecided on what I should carry into NiM EC.

At this point I have 8 mods that are robust 26. I am going to replace all 8. However, I cannot decide if I should go with 8 27B mods(56 end 34 absorb) or 8 27 mods(34 end 44 absorb) or mix and match them.

As I am already sitting on 63% absorb, If I use all 8 27B mods, I lose 1.46% absorb but gain 172 endurance. Absorb gets hit pretty hard after 60. losing 1.5% absorb with my 49% shield and 28% def means I am losing 52 MPS(assuming 100 hits where each hit is 100 dps) which looks minuscule compared to 10k incoming damage.

However, the extra 172 endurance does not do a lot for me imo.

was wondering if some of you would like to suggest what might be the best way to go for Nim EC

I always prefer to go with the unlettered mods because I just don't see much of any point in stacking up Endurance. As such, I'd stick with that. Since there isn't an unlettered Reinforced Mod, you'll get the "additional" Endurance you need out of those mods when you're rounding out your absorb. Edited by Kitru

Stacking endurance is good since our self healing is HP based.

The comparative improvement in hp between Endurance stacking and mitigation stacking setups is all of 25% greater hp (24k with mitigation stacking and 30k with Endurance stacking), which will amount to all of ~30 additional hp sec (going from roughly 160 hp/sec to ~190 hp/sec).

The *only* time that this would be even remotely intelligent would be when you're taking part in a fight where the absolute entirety of damage coming at you is F/T based. The only fight like that is Soa. You could count SM Firebrand and Stormcaller as well if you don't swap, but, even then, you still take some amount of M/R damage from Firebrand during the shield phases. Even if you did count it, you'd be bringing a second set of gear for 2 fights that aren't even progression fights any more, which is insanely wasteful.

As such, HP stacking isn't useful no matter how you end up justifying it. You get all of the Endurance you need no matter what you do so there is no point in stacking it up.

This has mostly been my thinking as well. However, changing to 27B mods does not really affect my mitigation by a lot. 1.5% absorb. which for a 1000dps incoming amounts to 5 damage mitigated.

however the 172 endurance is 1720 HP+ a small inc to self heal still outweighs the 5 mitigation i get from 1.5% absorb. and this is making me undecided.

if I was not already over the softcap for absorb, I would say yeh stack mitigation, but as I am already over the softcap, maybe its not as obvious.

Anyone wanna run numbers through this :)

/me points to theorycrafters

Also, I am only swapping out mods if i need to. I am not going the whole endurance stacking. The hp difference between the 2 scenario for me is 1720 hp.

Edited by sankalp

The comparative improvement in hp between Endurance stacking and mitigation stacking setups is all of 25% greater hp (24k with mitigation stacking and 30k with Endurance stacking), which will amount to all of ~30 additional hp sec (going from roughly 160 hp/sec to ~190 hp/sec).

The *only* time that this would be even remotely intelligent would be when you're taking part in a fight where the absolute entirety of damage coming at you is F/T based. The only fight like that is Soa. You could count SM Firebrand and Stormcaller as well if you don't swap, but, even then, you still take some amount of M/R damage from Firebrand during the shield phases. Even if you did count it, you'd be bringing a second set of gear for 2 fights that aren't even progression fights any more, which is insanely wasteful.

As such, HP stacking isn't useful no matter how you end up justifying it. You get all of the Endurance you need no matter what you do so there is no point in stacking it up.

Isn't the OP talking about Nightmare Mode EC??

It doesn't matter how much mitigation you have, you still die once your HP reaches zero, which is why 1.8k hp for 1.5% abs is a very good tradeoff.

Yes, this is specifically for Nim EC. nothing else matters, Ive done everything I am only concerned to maximise my performance and that of myguild in Nim EC

I get the whole argument. i just wanna concentrate on this and if it helps I will carry 2 sets of mods. however it will still be good to see what works out better in terms of exact numbers.

Isn't the OP talking about Nightmare Mode EC??

The individual I was quoting was referring to hp stacking specifically referring to increased self healing. My initial comment on the thread explicitly expresses my opinion on the OP's stated conundrum.

• 2 weeks later...
Numbers wise, even at your point in the DR, endurance is still worth about 30% less in terms of survivability contribution (from the self-heal). It does have other benefits in that it provides a larger cushion, but that makes very little difference in the end. By going with 27B over 27 mods, you're making yourself harder to heal to achieve a larger health pool. That seems like a bad trade off (see my post on eHP value, or lack thereof).

As a tank, your main job with damage is to mitigate it so healers can keep up.

The size of your HP pools had nothing to mitigation. Its a cushion, for sin it helps with self-heals, but mostly "the higher they are, the harder they fall" applies rather well here.

Most healers agree they prefer healing a tank with 24k hp and nice defensive stats than one with 32k hp and less defensive stats. The guy simply needs MORE healing.

At your DR level, the extra hp might come in handy, but imo I would raise defense a bit before end.

I just want to say that I am a mitigation tank first more so than anything else. So when I say this I want you to know that I agree with everyone stacking mitigation over endurance. I do not have a single endurance augment other than on my war hero relics. I am a JK guardian tank that has done EC NIM through 3 bosses and should have Kephess soon since we got past trandoshans on our last few attempts and are close.

I have more defense than you and less absorb, but that makes perfect sense because of the difference in classes/stats. When I look at your stats the issue that I have is that I think your HP is too low. As I mentioned I don't stack any endurance and I still have 27,800 hp fully buffed with exo. The reason I tell you this is because no matter how much mitigation you have...you have to be able to give your healers time to react to the damage and get their heals off.

I think you are 1 boss ability too short on hp and that will be the difference between you being alive or dead. The 1.5% absorb you discussed will not save you. Vorgath and Trandoshans especially hit like trucks and so I think you need some more endurance to give your healers some leeway. I know the arguments about mitigation and making your healers heal less....but you are into diminishing returns and I just think that you will take more damage than 24K in a short matter of time and the healers will lose you because their heals won't get off.

Remember the only purpose of HP on a tank is for you to be able to absorb the hits long enough for you to be healed up. My opinion is you are slightly too low on that and the healers will lose you on Vorgath and Trandoshans. Just my two cents from a tank that has been there and that was what your question was about.