So.. Account Wide Datacrons

SardaTFK

If the bonuses are so minimal, then there should be no problem with waiting until you reach max level with a character before receiving them. You would only have to find the datacrons again on subsequent characters only if you wanted the bonus for that datacron before reaching max level.

Incorrect. In fact, exact opposite.

The bonuses are so minimal, so they are nearly useless at cap level. However, while leveling, they make the experience much more smooth for casual players and "bad" players.

You are still dodging the question. You have yet to explain WHY you think this is wrong.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incorrect. In fact, exact opposite.

The bonuses are so minimal, so they are nearly useless at cap level. However, while leveling, they make the experience much more smooth for casual players and "bad" players.

You are still dodging the question. You have yet to explain WHY you think this is wrong.

That character did not accomplish the necessary requirement to receive that bonus. If you want the datacron bonus on a given character, you should have to find the datacron on that character.

I am very torn about this.

One the one hand. I don't think it should exist.

But, As long as it is a legacy perk and you can buy the unlock (or everyone has it) with credits. I am less concerned.

If this is a Cartel only item. I will be very mad.

Unless my understanding of Bolster is wrong. The datacrons make no difference in below 55 PVP. So the only people affected would be those that spent the time getting them all.

We would really like to allow players to unlock datacrons at the Legacy level, and it's pretty high on my personal wishlist. We're still investigating the technical feasibility, so I can't make any promises.

:csw_crawler:

Please, make it happen.

Why should they heed opinions from people who cannot even give a reason for being against it?

"Laziness" doesn't count. If you think it does -- I propose an immediate removal of ALL forms of travel outside of walking.

Well said sir. I have not read one single "reason" that is valid against this. It's only people who are gloating egomanicas trying to dictate how others "should" play their game. Because they "got it the hard way"....so should everyone else. :rolleyes: It's all rather childish. If they don't like it, then don't use it. I fail to see why people care how others earn or get things like this in their game. I really don't care how others do. I worry about myself and dont concern myself with other peoples business. My ego doesn't run how I play, I play for fun....ego's be d**ned.

I am very torn about this.

One the one hand. I don't think it should exist.

But, As long as it is a legacy perk and you can buy the unlock (or everyone has it) with credits. I am less concerned.

If you don't think it should exist, then don't use it. Why deny others something you don't care about?

If you want the datacron bonus on a given character, you should have to find the datacron on that character.

Say's who? You? :rolleyes:

Then the "Collections" and all Legacy Perks should be removed as well. No more XP boost either. Because, isn't gaming about your ego after all?

We would really like to allow players to unlock datacrons at the Legacy level, and it's pretty high on my personal wishlist. We're still investigating the technical feasibility, so I can't make any promises.

Thank the gods!!!

Edited by DarthVengeant

That character did not accomplish the necessary requirement to receive that bonus. If you want the datacron bonus on a given character, you should have to find the datacron on that character.

That is not a reason.

Because, everyone would have access to this.

Once again. Please give a REASON why this shouldn't be allowed -- or concede that you have no reason whatsoever other than your opinion, which really doesn't matter.

Again, the "I want it and it won't affect you, so why can't I have it" argument?

Are you saying that you really want legacy wide datacrons so you can make level 1 god mode characters and not actually because you simply want to avoid having to do all the jumping and datacron hunting again?

I'm sorry but what, level 1 God mode characters? Since the 1-10 range doesn't allow for World PvP, Warzones or even FPs then this affects very little. Most people's focus on their 2nd + playthrough just want to get out of the starting areas as fast as possible, while paying attention to class quest story .

The ONLY thing your argument gives credence to is dueling, and if that's such a major concern then this is a very sorry state of affairs.

N.B I'm not even against having datacrons stats unlock at max level, but arguing about the datacron's affects for anything below level 10 is quite frankly absurd.

As I said, I had forgotten about those minor increases, since I no longer receive them. However, you receive that bonus for completing all companion conversations with a particular companion. If I complete Ashara's storyline quest chain and unlock the bonus for melee DPS companion, does that complete the quest chain for Akavi on my gunslinger?

Nope.

If you want to use the argument that it is already possible to unlock a stat bonus legacy wide, so why not allow legacy wide datacron bonuses, I will concede that point.

Groovy.

Using that same argument, let me propose something. If they allow legacy wide datacron bonuses, so that a player only has to do put forth effort on one character in order to receive the bonuses on all their characters (and that is exactly what that would be), I want to be able to unlock the ability to create max level characters with all companions at max affection and with all companion unlocks. After all, I put the effort with one character to get to max level, max out all companion affection, and unlock all companions, and we will already have the ability to do something on one character and have it affect each and every other character, existing or new, so it would be the same thing, right?

I get that what you're doing is taking my suggestion, and then trying to take it to an extreme to show that my original statement isn't valid. The Reductio Ad Absurdum approach.

But rather than comparing the datacron legacy unlock to something as extreme as a free level 50 unlock, let's compare it to unlocks that already exist in this game.

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats

2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus

3. It panders to the lazy player - Such as repair droid, gtn on ship, etc.

4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

My argument is that a legacy datacron unlock is comparable to existing benefits that can be obtained through legacy. Why is this one not okay, when the other legacy benefits and unlocks are allowed?

Let me also point out that I've been playing this game for a year and a couple months. I have 5 level 55s 4 more level 50s, and 4 others at other levels. I raid as a dps, healer and tank, I've mastered all crafting professions, I've made lots of credits. I have, in short, played the HECK out of this game.

One thing I haven't done is datacrons. I remember spending 2 hours on Hoth going for the +4 Cunning datacron, because every time you miss jump, you have to wait a coons age for the platforms to reset. After I while I was like, all this for +4 Cunning? Fuggeddaboudit.

If Bioware were to add this legacy option of sharing datacron unlocks, it would actually give me a new thing to do. Because it would be more valuable. I'd take the time go back and do all the jumping puzzles, if it were to unlock them for all 13 of my characters.

Now, the bonuses are insignificant enough that I could happily live without it. If they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal. But if they do, it would be cool for me, as it would suddenly raise my incentive to finally run them.

Does this make sense?

Edited by Khevar

I think that this is a great idea, but I have just one suggestion. I would say that they should be per faction. Even though many datacrons are shared between factions, there are several that are exclusive to one faction or the other. (Starter worlds and fleet, for example) Making them unlock per faction might alleviate some of the technical hurdles, and personally I wouldn't mind doing them all just twice. It would certainly be an improvement from having to unlock them all on each character.

Well said sir. I have not read one single "reason" that is valid against this. It's only people who are gloating egomanicas trying to dictate how others "should" play their game. Because they "got it the hard way"....so should everyone else. :rolleyes: It's all rather childish. If they don't like it, then don't use it. I fail to see why people care how others earn or get things like this in their game. I really don't care how others do. I worry about myself and dont concern myself with other peoples business. My ego doesn't run how I play, I play for fun....ego's be d**ned.

Did you EARN those stat bonuses on that new level one character? NO, you didn't. If you want those bonuses handed to you on characters that did not earn them, then why not wait until max level to receive them? That still gives you the option to hunt down a specific datacron if you want that particular bonus before max level.

If you don't think it should exist, then don't use it. Why deny others something you don't care about?

Why not allow players who have already reached max level with one character and maxed out all companion affection and unlocked all companion bonuses to create max level characters with all companion affection at max level and all companions unlocked? After all, if you don't think it should exist, then don't use it. Why deny others something you don't care about?

Again, the "I want it and it won't affect you, so why can't I have it" argument?

Are you saying that you really want legacy wide datacrons so you can make level 1 god mode characters and not actually because you simply want to avoid having to do all the jumping and datacron hunting again?

The stat bonus from the datacrons is quickly overshadowed by normal leveling. All it would really do is allow you to ignore your gearing until level 14 or so, when you can already purchase Inheritance gear and ignore gearing for another 5-6 levels.

My level 1 characters are already god mode, and as soon as I get a companion THEY are god mode thanks to the +100 presence from a level 50 human character. It all levels off by the time you leave Dromund Kaas / Coruscant or at the latest, Balmorra / Taris.

That is not a reason.

Because, everyone would have access to this.

Once again. Please give a REASON why this shouldn't be allowed -- or concede that you have no reason whatsoever other than your opinion, which really doesn't matter.

That absolutely is a reason. It may not be a reason that you agree with, but it is a reason. I do not agree with your reason for wanting to be handed stat bonuses on characters that did not meet the requirements for receiving those bonuses. That reason would be nothing more than an aversion to work or effort.

That absolutely is a reason. It may not be a reason that you agree with, but it is a reason. I do not agree with your reason for wanting to be handed stat bonuses on characters that did not meet the requirements for receiving those bonuses. That reason would be nothing more than an aversion to work or effort.

No. You're upset with giving people a bonus for doing something on one character. And continuing to call others lazy for it.

Let me list the things you MUST be against, if that is your reasoning.

Presence bonuses

Companion bonuses

XP Bonuses unlocked through legacy, given through quests, and on the CM

Mounts

Quick Travel

Rocket Boost

Fleet Pass

Anything that lowers the CD on QT, RB, or the Fleet Pass

This is what we call a QoL feature. MOST QoL features are widely accepted by the community. Unless, of course, you have some asinine reason for calling it "laziness."

You have yet to give me a SINGLE reason, except that you feel they should "work for it." That goes against everything currently included in Legacy Unlocks. The stat bonus only has an affect on leveling, making it easier for some to level their Nth alt. For all of the legacy unlocks, I'm only required to do the work on ONE character -- and simple unlock it for the remaining characters.

This would be exactly the same.

Alas, as I said, you have given no reason other than you don't think other people deserve something they've already worked for once, to translate to their other characters. This is like a mini-game. Even achievements work legacy-wide.

They've said it is on there list. The dev that commented on it even said it was high on his wish list. So, I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'll be prepared for your QQ WHEN they do implement this, and 99% of the playerbase is happy for it.

Nice, nice, hope to see it soon!

I get that what you're doing is taking my suggestion, and then trying to take it to an extreme to show that my original statement isn't valid. The Reductio Ad Absurdum approach.

But rather than comparing the datacron legacy unlock to something as extreme as a free level 50 unlock, let's compare it to unlocks that already exist in this game.

1. It increases main character stats - Completing 5 companion questlines gives you +1% to bonus stats

2. It makes a low-level character more powerful - So does the +presence legacy bonus

4. It short-cuts player activity - I just unlocked free White Hawkeye crystals from collections

My argument is that a legacy datacron unlock is comparable to existing benefits that can be obtained through legacy. Why is this one not okay, when the other legacy benefits and unlocks are allowed?

Let me see if I understand you.

We already have unlocks in this game that:

So, since there already exist in game unlocks which allow you gain permanent stat bonuses which is the same thing datacrons do, then a legacy datacron unlock should be in game.

A is in game now, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.

My counter argument:

A legacy wide datacron unlock would allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have all characters rewarded as if all characters actually accomplished that task- in this case, finding the datacrons. Allowing the creation of max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companions unlocked once that player had accomplished that with one character would do the exact same thing-allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have a newly created character rewarded as if that newly created character had actually accomplished those tasks-in this case, reaching max level, maxing out all companion affection and unlocking all companions.

Therefore, B is the same as A. If they allow A to be in the game, then using your own argument:

A is in the game, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.

I'm on the record as pro legacy datacrons, but this seems like a very reasonable compromise. Maybe pair that with Legacy Level 50.

If the bonuses are so minimal, then there should be no problem with waiting until you reach max level with a character before receiving them. You would only have to find the datacrons again on subsequent characters only if you wanted the bonus for that datacron before reaching max level.

Let me see if I understand you.

We already have unlocks in this game that:

So, since there already exist in game unlocks which allow you gain permanent stat bonuses which is the same thing datacrons do, then a legacy datacron unlock should be in game.

A is in game now, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.

A is similar to B. Not the same. A professor of mine would call this a case of "Assumed identities are not identical".

A reason why a datacron unlock is similar to a +presence unlock is because they both boost the characters ability to defeat enemies at lower levels.

A reason why they aren't identical is that one affects your main toon and the other affects your companion. You see? Similar. Not the Same.

Note, I'm NOT saying this: "Because A is in the game, B is similar so it should also be in the game."

Instead, I'm saying this: "A is in the game. B is similar. Why are you objecting to B and not to A?"

My counter argument:

A legacy wide datacron unlock would allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have all characters rewarded as if all characters actually accomplished that task- in this case, finding the datacrons. Allowing the creation of max level characters with all companions at max affection and all companions unlocked once that player had accomplished that with one character would do the exact same thing-allow a player to skip something they already did on one character, yet have a newly created character rewarded as if that newly created character had actually accomplished those tasks-in this case, reaching max level, maxing out all companion affection and unlocking all companions.

Therefore, B is the same as A. If they allow A to be in the game, then using your own argument:

A is in the game, B is the same as A, therefore B should be in the game also.

Again, assumed identities are not identical. They are similar. A datacron unlock allows one to get a benefit not achieved through doing work. An instant level 50 allows one to get a benefit not achieved through doing work.

Yet they are NOT identical. They differ vastly in terms of degree. A datacron unlock is a relatively minor boost, on a par with the presence bonus and the five +1% to stats. An instant level 50 is vast orders of magnitude greater than a datacron legacy unlock.

It seems you're trying to blow this way out of proportion. Now, let me remind you of the actual reason why I like the OPs idea:

If Bioware were to add this legacy option of sharing datacron unlocks, it would actually give me a new thing to do. Because it would be more valuable. I'd take the time go back and do all the jumping puzzles, if it were to unlock them for all 13 of my characters.

Now, the bonuses are insignificant enough that I could happily live without it. If they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal. But if they do, it would be cool for me, as it would suddenly raise my incentive to finally run them.

What do you think of this? It this reasonable?

Now, let me remind you of the actual reason why I like the OPs idea:

What do you think of this? It this reasonable?

If shared datacrons give a you reason to find them, then great. However, since the bonuses are insignificant enough that you could happily live without them and if they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal, then you should be willing to wait until max level to receive those actual stat bonuses.

Edited by Ratajack

Clearly there is no point in continuing the debate. The same thing is being said over and over again, and it is all irrelevant.

They will most likely put these in game. We don't know when. But we have a dev post specifically saying it is top of his wish list.

While we should keep it in the eyes of the community, mainly to keep it in BWs thoughts, arguing won't change it. I highly doubt the majority of players would be against it, and that is what matters to BW.

Woooohooo! Made my day

Edited by chriscshunter

Clearly there is no point in continuing the debate. The same thing is being said over and over again, and it is all irrelevant.

They will most likely put these in game. We don't know when. But we have a dev post specifically saying it is top of his wish list.

While we should keep it in the eyes of the community, mainly to keep it in BWs thoughts, arguing won't change it. I highly doubt the majority of players would be against it, and that is what matters to BW.

A single dev saying that it is at the top of HIS wish list is far from saying that it will or even likely will happen. How many players are ultimately against it will depend on how it is implemented if it becomes a reality.

A single dev saying that it is at the top of HIS wish list is far from saying that it will or even likely will happen. How many players are ultimately against it will depend on how it is implemented if it becomes a reality.

Yes, a single dev said it was at the top of HIS wish list,

AND that "WE" want people to be able to do this.

Seeing as how the only complaint so far is not making other people work for something over and over again for minimal benefit -- I doubt many will be upset.

As I said. It doesn't matter. I fully believe, based on what was said, that we will see it in the game at some point. You can hope that we won't see it -- but in the end, we will know only when/if it is announced. End of story.

As I said. It doesn't matter. I fully believe, based on what was said, that we will see it in the game at some point. You can hope that we won't see it -- but in the end, we will know only when/if it is announced. End of story.

The legacy system needs *something*! It is fairly useless once you get it beyond level 25...

If shared datacrons give a you reason to find them, then great. However, since the bonuses are insignificant enough that you could happily live without them and if they don't add the legacy share, it's no big deal, then you should be willing to wait until max level to receive those actual stat bonuses.

Sure, I'd be willing to wait.

Honestly, it's not like this is some terribly important idea to me. What happened is, somebody posted this idea, I thought about it, saw how it would encourage me to do datacron hunting, thought it was a good idea, and added my vote into the "sure" pile.

The legacy system needs *something*! It is fairly useless once you get it beyond level 25...

Actually, this is an interesting point. What if this reward were only unlockable on a per-character basis and required a very high legacy level.

This is similar to how the legacy Character Perks work. Legacy Level X required, Y credits to unlock. And similar to the HK-51 legacy unlock, it could only be made available if ALL the datacrons had been gotten on a single toon.

Edited by Khevar