difference between knight & consular

KingOtoko

Hi I am just wondering how much of a difference there is between knights and consulars difficulty wise.

So far I have as a knight been mainly on the frontline, I am assuming its different for consular but I have to fight alot

of strong enemies and bosses including

Kira's Brother

. So my question is am I going to have to fight the same amount of enemies and the same difficulty bosses?

I am asking because as a Knight I have died quite a few times, and being a consular with lower defense I am worried about dying even more. Anyways if you could respond it would be appreciated thanks in advance!

P.S. I am a new player so please be thorough :D

Kira is a Knight only companion, you won't meet her as a Consular. Or her brother.

For the Consulars story you'll fight entirely different enemies and bosses, I can't speak to their difficulty however. You'll still have to fight the same standard mobs and such as you did on the Knight when doing the non-story quests though.

The first companion you get a Consular is a tank, hide behind him (assuming you pick Sage) and you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll be a Shadow, and you'll still be fine. Should be clear, the Sage is the caster version of the Consular, one of the advanced classes you pick at level 10, throws force powers at people but is very, very squishy. The Shadow is melee, often a tank, but has stealth and a double bladed Lightsaber.

Knight or Consular isn't as important as the AC that you choose and which role/skill tree you spend points in.

A shadow can develop a tanking stance and end up with a better armor rating than a knight that chooses the sentinel AC.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But the short of it is yes, you will be fighting strong enemies no matter the class, and the non-class missions are the same for every character.

The idea is that a every class and AC is just as good as every other class and AC, they are just good in different ways.

You have to use the tools that the different classes have, and that includes using a companion that compliments the AC and role that you have selected.

I can't speak for those two classes in particular, but generally with the possible exception of some specific boss fights, the difficulty in different classes will be similar.

If you're dying a lot, maybe look up some tactics for the fights you have trouble with, use companions which compliments your desired play style, and keep their gear updated as you level.

If all else fails, go gain a level or two, then come back later.

Sages and Sentinels are both squishy; be sure to utilize your companions well. Both T7 and Qyzen function as pretty good tanks at early levels, learn to use them during fights.

I found leveling my sage easier than leveling my sentinel; only because I didn't get a healer companion for my sentinel until later in my level progression, whereas I got my healer companion for sage rather quickly.

Kira is a Knight only companion, you won't meet her as a Consular.

Or her brother.

Notice that the previous poster put this in spoiler tags. Please go back and edit this for spoilers. You've ruined this for me, please don't ruin it for anyone else.

Edited by DPCummerbund

The class specific story lines are completely different. The only same stories and enemies you will run into are on the planet stories. I have both a 30 sentinel and 30 sage. I never really had much problems with the sage, I always sent the tank in and attacked first to draw the aggro then I attacked with ranged attacks and healed when needed. The sentinel is a different path. I don't use my tank much with this one, but I still do manually click attack enemy with my companion then follow up to take the harder opponents

i didnt like consular... i had the shadow but will try the sage later on... i liked the knight better the guardian was really neat the sentail was ok but i like having the heavy armor.... although having 2 lightsabors was cool but i liked the guardian best... :csw_bluesaber::csw_bluesaber:

i have a 50 shadow and having a real hard time beating the first son at the end...

Edited by ToastyChoate

Hi I am just wondering how much of a difference there is between knights and consulars difficulty wise.

So far I have as a knight been mainly on the frontline, I am assuming its different for consular but I have to fight alot

of strong enemies and bosses ............

..............I am asking because as a Knight I have died quite a few times, and being a consular with lower defense I am worried about dying even more. Anyways if you could respond it would be appreciated thanks in advance!

As a consular, you could go for shadow. And that means you DO NOT NEED to fight for most of the time.. :)

I actually LOVE my consular because it's just helps exploring the environments without the necessity of killing every possible mob in the game. Seems like knights are much more exposed to fights.. but hey ,that 's why they ARE knights...

I find Knights a little less squishy than Shadows, but Shadows have decent crowd control to make PVE encounters manageable (from Stealth). In PVP, some people play Shadows well, and I am not one of them. My dps is tons higher with similar gear using my sentinel powers.

My suggestion is to try both and see which works better for you. I honestly love the style of my Shadow best, but I am much more successful with the Knight in PVP. For PVE, it's not a huge difference unless your companion tanks for you. Companions don't do well vs Champions, and they don't do anything at all vs. World Bosses. Then you want the class that enables you to stay alive and still dish out the necessary dmg to defeat it.