Was anakin/darthvader ever actually not of the dark side

xnoxiousx

If he had been raised by the Jedi since birth as was usually done during that era he would never have formed the attachments that drove him to kill the sandpeople or allowed Palpatine to manipulate him.

As for Padme... what personally bothers me the most about her story is when she dies during childbirth. While it is completely plausible that a woman could die from complications during childbirth (not to mention that Anakin force-choked the crap out of her just before), they explicitly state that she died for no reason at all.

To respond to the original question, yes I do think that as a child he was rather innocent. I think Lucas intended to show that it was his emotional attachments to his mother and Padme that caused his shift toward the dark side.

Doesn't Obi Wan also tell Luke that his father was killed by Darth Vader? My interpretation has always been that the sith lord he is talking about is Vader himself "killing" his former self. :confused:

The whole "Padme lost the will to live" thing is total BS to me. Why did GL do that?

He had a perfect setup for the following and then just dropped the ball like he forgot what game he was playing.

Anakin was manipulated by Palpatine and his attachment to Padme. Since we all knew the ending of the story before it started, she had to die. Both of those things are clear.

So, here is what GL missed. The PERFECT opportunity at showing the true nature of the dark side AND ending the series with an amazing bit of irony.

She should have died due to the injuries sustained when Anakin choked her. In this event, The beautiful irony of the dark side would have been that Anakin fell to save the life of his love and in doing so actually caused her demise.

If GL had done that, then this thread would be about something deeper like "if you know the future, can you actually change it? Or, will your attempts to change it actually cause the outcome you know?"

This^^

Along with the completely unnecessary virgin birth this is the worst plot device of the whole series. I wholeheartedly agree with Hydro on this point. Lost the will to live... If this actually happened assisted suicide wouldn't be a real life issue (suicide of any kind, for that matter... people would just drop dead). Losing Padme not only in spite of his efforts to save her but because of them is a far more compelling story.

From my understanding, Padme's body was at a stage of extreme exhaustion but technically has all the working parts to recover. However, with the equally extreme stress factors, the body simply refused to operate even though she was "perfectly healthy."

I don't like the retcon of Leia getting a "Force impression" of her mother, so when Luke asks her about her biological mother in Episode VI, she can answer with memories from when she was "very young." "Very young," while can include infancy, usually implies a later stage of childhood development.

At the end of Episode III, however, there is a recently converted Dark Lord of the Sith and the one woman in the entire galaxy who can quickly change him back with a few more batted eyelashes, which would destroy the need for the Original Trilogy. Therefore, you can either completely wipe out everything we know about the strong, courageous political leader, Padme Amidala, by having her run and hide with one of the children, even though she still "sees good in him," or you can only slightly damage her courageous attribute by having her die under extreme conditions.

As to the question about Anakin's nature before his fall, it should be noted that the Prequel Trilogy is completely about Anakin's fall, so, naturally, the movies are going to focus on his darker side. The books and even the Clone Wars project show many more situations where it is easier to understand him as the Great Hero of the Republic rather than the whiny boy who can't control his mood swings.

Padme, and most of the people in starwars were racist against the sand people of tatooine. they weren't considered people. Plus, they did kill his mother, so perhaps she thought it wasn't as bad.

As far as him never being darkside, he definitely wasn't before he met padme again in episode 2. She corrupted him, and then his mother's death kinda cemented him on that path.

If he had been raised by the Jedi since birth as was usually done during that era he would never have formed the attachments that drove him to kill the sandpeople or allowed Palpatine to manipulate him.

As for Padme... what personally bothers me the most about her story is when she dies during childbirth. While it is completely plausible that a woman could die from complications during childbirth (not to mention that Anakin force-choked the crap out of her just before), they explicitly state that she died for no reason at all.

To respond to the original question, yes I do think that as a child he was rather innocent. I think Lucas intended to show that it was his emotional attachments to his mother and Padme that caused his shift toward the dark side.

They are never raised from birth they raised from the ages of 6 - 10 years olds older then that and they can think for them self and get harder to train.

Its not a plot hole, Anakin didn't kill any innocents in EP 2 he killed Sand People who are hostile to pretty much everyone and they kidnapped and tortured his mother to death.

Genocide is never acceptable. Anakin killed them all. He didn't cut a swathe to his mother, he brutally killed those involved, and murdered those uninvolved. He not only killed the guilty, but the innocent as well.

It'd be like if your mother was kidnapped and tortured, and you killed the killer, his accomplices, the killer's family, the accomplices' families, and all their friends, and everyone their friends knew. At some point, your murders outweigh their crimes.

See, that's the biggest problem I have with the prequels.

In the OT, we were told that Anakin used to be a good man, but made tough, terrible choices that turned him from the light to the dark.

But then in the prequels, we see Anakin go from an annoying brat, to a selfish douch3 teen, to an *****hole adult. He pretty much looked like he was a rotten apple from the start.

I wanted to see a good man turned to the dark side, and with good reason. Instead I got Twilight with Lightsabers.

This is why I hate the prequels.

Genocide is never acceptable. Anakin killed them all. He didn't cut a swathe to his mother, he brutally killed those involved, and murdered those uninvolved. He not only killed the guilty, but the innocent as well.

Let's be honest for a second here.

All Tuskan Raiders are *****, and have proven to be always be *****. Every single time they have been depicted in the series, it is usually as hostiles taking pot shots at travelers for fun or for murder/theft like, well, raiders.

I say, Kill em all.

Wow thats just wrong, even if sand people are evil (how are they worse than many human tribes, societies, armies.. from our history?) killing mothers because they give birth to evil people and kids because they may eventualy become evil??

Wait didn't Lucas later retcon Padme's death to being that the Polis Masa droids were idiots when it came to human medical knowledge and that she actually died due to tracheal damage? It's still stupid to an extent in that there's little evidence to justify it i.e. her struggling to breathe but it's still better than "she lost the will to live".

As for Anakin being good yes, he started out that way. He was a little boy who only wanted to help people. The problem is that due to Palpatine's influence and Kenobi being an idiot mentor Anakin grew arrogant. His need to help people developed into a martyr complex where he would throw himself into danger rather than let others get hurt. It eventually also expresses in a refusal to let go of his attachments and that's what Sidious uses as the hook to bait him.

Really when you look at it if Anakin had just taken a second to think about the situation after agreeing to help Sidious he would have realized that the Sith Lord needed to die. Hell if someone had just pointed out at that point that Padme would eventually chase him down to try to turn him away from the Dark Side and thus lead to her being away from the competent doctors on Coruscant making it much more likely that she would die from complications he probably would have changed his decision immediately.