Operation Boss Accuracy

I would like information regarding how much accuracy bosses have for their various attacks, and whether accuracy debuffs have any effect on some of their more unique attacks.

When trying to modify defense formula for skill trees and abilities, I came accross the question as to whether we can add an effective defense bonus due to accuracy debuffs applied to the endgame bosses.

for example, if endgame bosses have an accuracy of 110%, and a vangaurd applies their -20% accuracy debuff, that effectivly gives them 10% more defense.

Now if an assassin places their -5% accuracy debuff on that same boss, we are still in the red so to speak, so we should aplpy a -5% defense to our formula.

However, if the endgame boss has accuracy of 100%, then we would get 20% bonus to defense in the former, and 5% in the latter.

these modifications will affect the optiomization of stat weights... which is why i need to know.

Edited by dipstik

That's a very tough question to answer, and would require a lot of data (both in terms of number of logs, and keeping track of player's stats in relation to what's going on in the log).

I _think_ Operation Boss accuracy is pretty close to zero - that is, if you have 15% defense chance on your character sheet against melee/ranged, then about 15% of melee/ranged attacks will miss your character. This is just based on cursory examination of a few log results though, so I don't know when my Smoke Grenade debuff was affecting the boss, etc. And most bosses don't actually attack enough times in a fight to give you a very confident estimate of their miss rate. For example: I tank Firebrand for roughly half the fight. In that time, he only attacked me 31 times, some of which were tech abilities, some of which were affected by smoke grenade. He missed 7 times. My defense is around 17%. What's Firebrand's real miss rate? Who knows!

Edited by CitizenFry

About the only way to know is:

-Go into an operation and have a tank parse how many times they dodged/parried/resisted/were missed.

-Have the tank post this data along with their defense chance.

-Collect this data on all bosses and from as many tanks willing to submit the data (btw I don't even know if any parsers actually can tell you these figures or if you'd have to do it manually, also you need so many tanks so you can get a proper sample size).

-If possible seperate abilities by whether or not they are physical damage or Tech/Force based damage since, like players, bosses may have a different accuracy rating depending on the type of ability it is (did you know the missle spam from Annihilator is Physical and is NOT Tech Damage?).

-Also be sure to throw out any resists due to something like resilience (or in the case of something like deflection, take into account the 50% higher Defense Chance for those hits).

-Crunch the numbers data and back engineer each bosses accuracy rating.

What accuracy above 100% does? It reduces target defense chance.

What is chcance to dodge/parry attack from 100% accuracy boss by 10% defense tank? 10%.

What is chcance to dodge/parry attack from 110% accuracy boss by 10% defense tank? 0%.

What does it mean that tank with only 10% defense chance (or below) avoided attack from boss without any accuracy debuffs? It means boss accuracy is below 110%.

thanks for all the replies.

it seems someone juust posted this: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1134-post-23668.html#pid23668

which shows that kephess has a 90% accuracy melee attack, and that something like 68% of damage comes from these sort of attacks.

another 26% of the damage comes from attacks with 100% accuracy (and may not be affected by the accuracy debuff)

So 68% of the damage we effectivly get extra defense for our accuracy debuffs, but i am not sure about the 26%.

I think the way to proceed will be to have a two term model for mitigation that has two functions for defense.

acm*(1-d1(dr))*(1-sh(shr)+sh(shr)*(1-ab(abr)))+acdm*(1-d2(dr))*(1-sh(shr)+sh(shr)*(1-ab(abr)))

where d1 is for 90% accuracy and acm is the accuracy matters term and acdm is the accuracy doesnt matter term, where d2 doesnt take accuracy debuffs into account

it seems someone juust posted this: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1134-post-23668.html#pid23668

which shows that kephess has a 90% accuracy melee attack, and that something like 68% of damage comes from these sort of attacks.

another 26% of the damage comes from attacks with 100% accuracy (and may not be affected by the accuracy debuff)

So...probably the same 90%/100% melee/tech accuracy that players with no accuracy rating have. Good to know.

On a side note i think the accuracy of a boss is different in SM then HM. Main fight where i seen a difference was when i tanked FB on SM, and where i didnt get hit until about 3/4 of the way into the fight, while in HM i get hit quite a bit more often.

• Dev Post
I asked Senior Game Balance Designer Jason Attard about the Accuracy on attacks from Operation bosses, and he let me know that the default boss accuracy is 100% for special attacks and 90% on basic weapon attacks. Any accuracy debuffs applied to the boss (or defense buffs applied to yourself) should reduce the boss's chance to hit. We do have the ability to increase accuracy dramatically for a special attack if we want to guarantee that it hits, but typically that only occurs for abilities that are critical to fight mechanics.