Star Wars: Clone Wars, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and the continuity clusterfudge

coltess

Ok, I'm sure a million others are as confused as me, but I just gotta ask. What is the state of Star Wars: Clone Wars (the 2003 series) in regards to what is currently considered canon? Is the 2003 series disregarded? Do they interweave? Is the new one just erasing the old and rebuilding it +Ahsoka?

Personally, I loved the 03 series. Don't get me wrong, I also love the current series but there were certain times where the 03 series, paired with dinner and good day, was simply ******ic.

I was always under the impression that both series' just interweaved with each other, obviously be last episode of The Clone Wars being just before Episode III, but the rest being spread out amongst and between the Clone Wars' series. There are times in both cartoons where the protagonist is alone. This is times where the others could be doing the adventures in the other cartoon. Even Ahsoka wasn't always around Anakin so still had time to go solo.

I was always under the impression that both series' just interweaved with each other, obviously be last episode of The Clone Wars being just before Episode III, but the rest being spread out amongst and between the Clone Wars' series. There are times in both cartoons where the protagonist is alone. This is times where the others could be doing the adventures in the other cartoon. Even Ahsoka wasn't always around Anakin so still had time to go solo.

So we can assume that similar battles are just different battles on the same planets?

So we can assume that similar battles are just different battles on the same planets?

You need to understand how the EU functions (and continuity) to understand how CW and TCW fit together.

In Wookiepedia's article on Canon

Should answer most if not all your questions.

They Interweave somewhat. Star Wars: The Clone Wars takes place between the episode in Star Wars: Clone Wars, where Anakin gets knighted and the Episode where Anakin has his Episode 3 Hairstyle.

Battles you see in both shows on the same planets are different battles taking place at different times unless someone says something in TCW which contradicts what was in Clone Wars like "This is the first Battle here" or something.

Edited by CassusVerda

The cartoon was like directly after Episode 2 in my opinion cause Anakin keeps his ponytail, as for the Clone Wars he has his long hair from Episode 3, So they just meet up at some point and connect im sure, I wouldnt know the exact thing cause I couldn't care less about the 2D Cartoon.

Is the 2003 series disregarded? .

Yes, very likely. I think - maybe - only some of the last episodes with the Coruscant battle may survive, canon-wise.

Do they interweave? Is the new one just erasing the old and rebuilding it +Ahsoka?

They never said it clear, and in the beginning it seemed they would care for the canon. But at least since season 2, TCW is clearly main canon and all the novels, comic books, games and the old clone wars series that came before are not. It is not possible to interweave them anymore, I think. To me its a pity, since I think, a lot of the old stuff was superior to TCW, and by this system, only a few things were taken over to TCW Series (like Ventress' jedi apprenticeship, for example).

Ok, I'm sure a million others are as confused as me, but I just gotta ask. What is the state of Star Wars: Clone Wars (the 2003 series) in regards to what is currently considered canon? Is the 2003 series disregarded? Do they interweave? Is the new one just erasing the old and rebuilding it +Ahsoka?

Personally, I loved the 03 series. Don't get me wrong, I also love the current series but there were certain times where the 03 series, paired with dinner and good day, was simply ******ic.

Some of the things in the 2003 Clone Wars was discarded, like the detail of Grievous getting his ribs crushed my Mace at the end of the 2003 series, but then in the newer Clone Wars, he already has the coughing.

Some of the things in the 2003 Clone Wars was discarded, like the detail of Grievous getting his ribs crushed my Mace at the end of the 2003 series, but then in the newer Clone Wars, he already has the coughing.

According to Lucas, the coughing was intended to be a result of his cybernetics, at least in his mind when they crafted the character. It was supposed to represent how this was the prototype technology to what made Darth Vader.

The cough in the original CW series was a completely separate event. Lucas saw how ridiculous Grievous was in this series and saw how out of line it was for his view of Star Wars and had the Mace Windu scene put in to help give an explanation to the general audience what happened between the series's incarnation and the movie incarnation.

Ultimately, I think GL has used TCW as his method of going back and "fixing" (for better or for worse) concepts and ideas in the EU that he had no direct control over before. This is just my opinion, but I think the scene in CW was just a quick fix and GL has now allowed TCW to give the "correct" version of Grievous as he was always intended to be.