Reactive shield SUCKS

Royox

What BW really need to do is split the def CD's into advanced classes to make it more even. I know as a Vanguard tank in a WZ if i pop reactive shield, adrenalin rush and smoke grenade i'm pretty much untouchable for the duration (mainly because i play with fools on our server who think its a good idea to give me full resolve at the same time lol). As for commandos i know its a downright pain to fend off melee dps but i think BW are thinking along the lines that commando's, even if they are spec'd for dps, can drop healing abilites if necessary. Just my thoughts but if DC's we're split properly into advanced classes we may see commando's back in the wz's

to bad those heals suck hard while on DPS

I don't eh. Well maybe it's just the new guy, but i thought as a tank my job is NOT to deal damage, but to be the guy that SOAKS damage. Or did I get the whole tank thing wrong?

You recommended that someone playing DPS switch to the tank stance and use a shield to give themselves a bit of survivability. That's not knowing what you're talking about.

If I somehow misconstrued you saying "turn on Ion Cell... then click on Reactive Shield" as a recommendation to switch to Tank spec rather than hot switching to your tank stance as a DPS spec, you *still* have no idea what you're talking about. It's a well known fact amongst all of the tanks that VGs have the worst survivability CDs and that Reactive Shield is the weakest of them all. It doesn't matter what you might think of it. If you honestly think that it somehow turns you into an unkillable god (hinthint, it doesn't; with an 18/60/60/54 mitigation loadout, a VG tank pulls ~75.8% mitigation; a Shadow in 30/65/60/40 loadout is going to manage ~77% mitigation after factoring in self heals; with Reactive Shield and Deflection active, those numbers change to 89.0% and 92.7%, respectively; Shadows still have it better regardless), you've got no clue what you're talking about.

You're speaking as someone that understands the bare minimum of how the game operates without a modicum of the understanding of the underlying math. You don't know what you're talking about because, when you actually compare Reactive Shield against pretty much *every other* survivability CD in the game, it loses out. Troopers, as a whole, are screwed in the CD department. It's not opinion. It's fact.

Edited by Kitru

@Kitru

agreed with pretty much everything you said... i do think sentinels/marauders have way to many Defensive cooldowns for a MDPS class... but anyway when i use reactive shield on my mando, i jstill ust go down as a bag of potatoes doesnt help much, so yeah.

You recommended that someone playing DPS switch to the tank stance and use a shield to give themselves a bit of survivability. That's not knowing what you're talking about.

If I somehow misconstrued you saying "turn on Ion Cell... then click on Reactive Shield" as a recommendation to switch to Tank spec rather than hot switching to your tank stance as a DPS spec, you *still* have no idea what you're talking about. It's a well known fact amongst all of the tanks that VGs have the worst survivability CDs and that Reactive Shield is the weakest of them all. It doesn't matter what you might think of it. If you honestly think that it somehow turns you into an unkillable god (hinthint, it doesn't; with an 18/60/60/54 mitigation loadout, a VG tank pulls ~75.8% mitigation; a Shadow in 30/65/60/40 loadout is going to manage ~77% mitigation after factoring in self heals; with Reactive Shield and Deflection active, those numbers change to 89.0% and 92.7%, respectively; Shadows still have it better regardless), you've got no clue what you're talking about.

You're speaking as someone that understands the bare minimum of how the game operates without a modicum of the understanding of the underlying math. You don't know what you're talking about because, when you actually compare Reactive Shield against pretty much *every other* survivability CD in the game, it loses out. Troopers, as a whole, are screwed in the CD department. It's not opinion. It's fact.

ok fine so i don't know as much as you, don't have to be condensending.

ok fine so i don't know as much as you, don't have to be condensending.

You start the snark, and I start the condescension. You wanted me to explain why you were wrong and got snarky with suggesting that I was someone intimating that tanks shouldn't be tanky (sadly enough, in PvP, there's a hefty bit of support for Tanks running with DPS mods, so it's kinda true in that instance). The fact that you ended up wrong because you were speaking without a proper understanding of the topic at hand rather than being validated in your opinion doesn't provide you with moral high ground. You could have stopped when you were pretty much proven wrong in my first post when I threw out a lot of outright math and information about the comparative effects and benefits of Reactive Shield for the various classes, but you were more interested in trying to salvage some of your pride rather than admitting you were wrong. I didn't get up in your face until you *asked* me to, so it's your own fault.

This is NOT FAIR. Every other class has better defensive skills than us.

Jedi Knight have Saber Ward (-25% damage and DEFENSE INCREASED ---> Deflect deflect deflect deflect) and Enure. And if you are Sentinel when you are about to die you can use that "you can't touch me lol" skill.

Shadows have that stupid "nothing affects me" and Deflection (+50% ranged and melee defense------> deflect deflect deflect deflect)

Even SMUGGLERS HAVE DEFENSIVE CD'S! And they CAN'T TANK! Defense Screen (15sec) and Dodge

What do we Vanguards have???? STUPID REACTIVE SHIELD that ONLY reduces damage 25% for 12 sec.

The other TANK classes have a defensive skill that gives them DEFENSE and damage protection and yet another Defensive CD to survive a bit more.......once I used my Shield I HAVE NOTHING.

And no, ADRENALINE RUSH is not a defensice CD. The ammount of life you restore with that skill is ridiculous.

Improve our Reactive Shield....or give us another defensive skill.

Dude saber ward is 3 min cd while reactive shield is 2 min cd. That is a MASSIVE difference and makes reactive shield much, much better than saber ward. I have both a guardian and commando and reactive shield is far more useful over the course of a wz.

Also saber ward's 50% defense is RNG based. I'd rather always have a guaranteed 25% than an RNG based 50% chance to melee/ranged attackeds.

Edited by Smashbrother

Dude saber ward is 3 min cd while reactive shield is 2 min cd. That is a MASSIVE difference and makes reactive shield much, much better than saber ward. I have both a guardian and commando and reactive shield is far more useful over the course of a wz.

Also saber ward's 50% defense is RNG based. I'd rather always have a guaranteed 25% than an RNG based 50% chance to melee/ranged attackeds.

lol sure, commando? with reactive shield? instead of surviving 3 seconds, you survive 4 seconds, gz dude... geez clueless people

Defense Screen will in total prevent about as much damage as Adrenaline Rush will heal you for.

If you consider Adrenaline Rush to heal you for so little that you can't even consider it as a defensive CD, then why do you not do the same with Defensive Screen?

Anytime I every get my shield one hitted as an agent ig et teh 2.5k medal award. I ahve the 30% bonus from Eng, and can chain it. the survivability is amazing. To allow adren rush to restore 2.5k means one would have to have a max health of 16666. Since I'm sure tanks have this, it is okay

the PROBLEM is that adren rush has a pitiful 10 second HoT and that it has a rediculous 3min cd.

It should have like a 30 sec cd OR make it instant. Jeeeez.

Reactive shield needs to be on a 45 second cooldown and make you immune to interrupts. Also extend the duration for 1 second for every point of damage taken. Can't occur more than once every second. Maybe it would actually be useful in PvP to let you survive longer. Not like it's often you survive the full duration anyway.

Reactive shield needs to be on a 45 second cooldown and make you immune to interrupts. Also extend the duration for 1 second for every point of damage taken. Can't occur more than once every second. Maybe it would actually be useful in PvP to let you survive longer. Not like it's often you survive the full duration anyway.

I dont agree with the 45 secs, but Immune to interrupts or Leaps should give them

an advantage they need. Come on! Slingers can deal heavier damageand they are turret class

like Commando, why Commandos cant have an Immune to interrupts or leaps like them?

Smuggler has got a Def.-Shield........for 800 Damage. That is nothing when you get damage. If you wasted 2 Points as a sawbone, you get a 15% Buff on received heal for you. So.....great skill to heal yourself up when the fight is over. My defense are ccs and my hot.

lol sure, commando? with reactive shield? instead of surviving 3 seconds, you survive 4 seconds, gz dude... geez clueless people

And in 2 mins, I'll be able to use it again unlike saber ward where I'll die just as quickly, but have to wait 3 mins to use it again.

Saber ward blows in comparison to reactive shield. I also forgot to mention in my last post that things like accuracy will eat into saber ward's 50% defense, and certain skills will always hit. For example, snipers/GS have a skill that increase their accuracy by like 30%. Then there's also riposte which cannot be parried/dodged/miss. Those things either completely bypass saber ward, or reduce it's effectiveness.

This is why 25% red ALL dam is better, especially when you can use it every 2 mins instead of 3. Reactive shield is quite good, though I agree it should also make you immune to interrupts as a baseline.

Edited by Smashbrother

Anytime I every get my shield one hitted as an agent ig et teh 2.5k medal award. I ahve the 30% bonus from Eng, and can chain it. the survivability is amazing. To allow adren rush to restore 2.5k means one would have to have a max health of 16666. Since I'm sure tanks have this, it is okay

the PROBLEM is that adren rush has a pitiful 10 second HoT and that it has a rediculous 3min cd.

It should have like a 30 sec cd OR make it instant. Jeeeez.

btw my commando is pve gear sits at 21k health in pvp with battlemaster not augment u have around 17kish health.

plus evertime i crit it knocks 6secs off the cooldown so i usally have a 30-45sec wait for this which isn't to bad. the reactive shield is kindof weak compared the other classes but it reduce all damage not range/melee as most dots are force/tech and most stronger abilities are force/tech not range/melee. armor is lolz.. i hit though 60%+ most of the time so any major buff from it is small.

the only problem i run intoas a trooper is other players not knowing how to max out the best parts of being a trooper oh and the nerf of my cryo grenade. for vanguards its like nothing changed but as a commando 10m is far to close for me as i have 4 abilities that close and i don't like two of them (blitz, stockstrike) as a commando.

What if reactive sheild for commandos made them immune to interrupt, crit, pulls and knock back?

I could see something like that, without the crit immunity (I'm not even sure how feasible that is, honestly), though it only really solves the problem for 12 seconds every 2 minutes. Combat Medic already gets the interrupt immunity so that would need to be replaced.

And adrenline rush increased movement and cast speed by 50%?

50% increase to cast speed simply isn't going to happen.You'd be allowing for .75 sec cast time heals and Grav Rounds/Charged Bolts, which turn it into a DPS CD as opposed to a survivability CD. What Adrenaline Rush needs is it being turned into a frontloaded heal (so that it heals at least 5% right away and then 10% more over 10 seconds or something like that), but, even so, neither of those changes would really do much to make up for the fact that Troopers have outright less in the way of CDs compared to everyone else.

Reactive Shield, on its own, works fine for Commandos as a DPS/Heal class. The change needed for them is more systemic: they need specific protections to operate effectively as a turret class in PvP, similar but not identical to GS/Snipers. Some kind of passive conditional interrupt immunity or a heavy tweak to Tech Override (reducing the CD and providing charges as opposed to a single effect) is what's needed. As for VGs, for tanks, at least, another CD, in its entirety, is needed. For DPS, they don't really need another CD, but there is definitely some credence to suggesting that Storm should be made into a baseline skill, what with being a melee/short range class without an effective gap closer.

Crit immunity is very feasable in pvp. Been proven on wow. Let's face it, crits hurt. Immunity to forced movement and interrupt also would make it a very powerful option.

As for adrenlin rush, instead of adding more HP, all it would take is an increased movement speed talent for assault since they don't worry as much about cast time, allow gunnery to cast while moving with adrenlin rush up, and for medic increase self heals. That in addition to the 15% weak and laughable HP bonus would probably make it worth it's while in PvP.

Crit immunity is very feasable in pvp. Been proven on wow.

I'm not talking about balance feasibility. I'm talking about mechanical feasibility within the confines of the game engine. As it stands, I don't know of any ability that reduces your chance of getting crit, and, honestly, if it did exist, you would expect it to be given to tanks at the very least. If it takes a lot of programming to implement such a capability, it's not likely to be worth it, from a developmental resources perspective.

And in 2 mins, I'll be able to use it again unlike saber ward where I'll die just as quickly, but have to wait 3 mins to use it again.

Saber ward blows in comparison to reactive shield. I also forgot to mention in my last post that things like accuracy will eat into saber ward's 50% defense, and certain skills will always hit. For example, snipers/GS have a skill that increase their accuracy by like 30%. Then there's also riposte which cannot be parried/dodged/miss. Those things either completely bypass saber ward, or reduce it's effectiveness.

This is why 25% red ALL dam is better, especially when you can use it every 2 mins instead of 3. Reactive shield is quite good, though I agree it should also make you immune to interrupts as a baseline.

I guess their 30% boost to health and 40% damage reduction doesn't exist either.

Simply put though, Saber Ward is the strongest defensive cooldown in the game simply because it is the Shadow's Deflection and Trooper's Reactive shield lumped together in one defensive.

BW made reactivesheild the way it is for the van tank style and forget to look at the other specs and AC. Vans have hardly any defensive cds becuase they are the passive tank.

Jugg tanks are cds based - low passive defense but many cds to use, they also have high utilities but relatively low dps compared to the other two tank classes. Shadow/Sins have moderate amount of cds and moderate passive defense. They are mid range for the tank dps classes and have little utilities. Vans are the passive end with hardly any defensive cds but the highest passive mitigation, and the highest dps of the tanks with a moderate amount of utility. Reactive sheild was designed for this and BW overestimated heavy armor and thus did not give the other specs any cds of their own.

Perhaps the best fix in my opinion would be to reduce the cd of reactive to say 1 min. That way it is actually more usable in pvp matches. BW could also add maybe a passive talent given to commandos when they get their AC, perhaps increasing reactive sheild's damage mitigation for them so they can actually use it to prolong their lives, perhaps 50% mitigation.

Edited by Zoom_VI

Troopers sux we know. Vanguard is fine with his burst damage but it doesn't change the whole picture. TROOPERS are squishiest shi* in the game with stupid utility like Tech override etc. Oh, and vanguard is a 10m kitable piece of shi* now. ))

Troopers sux we know. Vanguard is fine with his burst damage but it doesn't change the whole picture. TROOPERS are squishiest shi* in the game with stupid utility like Tech override etc. Oh, and vanguard is a 10m kitable piece of shi* now. ))

I beg to differ. I am tank spec and with my storm and harpoon i am un-kitable.

I guess their 30% boost to health and 40% damage reduction doesn't exist either.

Simply put though, Saber Ward is the strongest defensive cooldown in the game simply because it is the Shadow's Deflection and Trooper's Reactive shield lumped together in one defensive.

We're comparing the two skills, not the two classes. Saber ward is only marginally stronger than reactive shield, but at the same time has a 50% longer cd. I'd much rather have reactive shield.

We're comparing the two skills, not the two classes. Saber ward is only marginally stronger than reactive shield, but at the same time has a 50% longer cd. I'd much rather have reactive shield.

The use of each is entirely situational and in those situations when a defensive cool down must be popped, Saber Ward is, by far, the superior or the two.