How do I know if I'm ready?

Is there a way to know if I'm ready for certain 50+ Flashpoints / Ops and HMs? I've done Battle of Ilum and HM Black Talon. I'd like to go farther, but I'm not sure if I'm ready. I've got 15.5k-ish health (16 with BH buff). Is health my main indicator or should I be looking at a different stat?

Mitigation is important, not just raw health. I wish I could tell you that I remember what my Guardian's mitigation was around fresh 50, but I do not. I would try and focus on shield/absorb with overall defense as a tertiary priority unless it's lagging too far behind. It may seem counter-intuitive given the nature of certain Jugg procs on defense, but you'll get your most bang for the buck with shield rating and absorb. If you can augment gear for it, do so.

Grabbing some good crafted epics heavy on shield, absorb, and defense would be worth investing in. Also, pick up some fortitude stims to give you an extra boost. Prototype hyper-battle stims will also boost your defense as well. Try and use your cooldowns as effectively as possible. Juggs have arguably the best defensive cooldowns of any tank in the game. Above all, don't be afraid to get out there and try the content.

Mitigation is important, not just raw health. I wish I could tell you that I remember what my Guardian's mitigation was around fresh 50, but I do not. I would try and focus on shield/absorb with overall defense as a tertiary priority unless it's lagging too far behind. It may seem counter-intuitive given the nature of certain Jugg procs on defense, but you'll get your most bang for the buck with shield rating and absorb. If you can augment gear for it, do so.

Grabbing some good crafted epics heavy on shield, absorb, and defense would be worth investing in. Also, pick up some fortitude stims to give you an extra boost. Prototype hyper-battle stims will also boost your defense as well. Try and use your cooldowns as effectively as possible. Juggs have arguably the best defensive cooldowns of any tank in the game. Above all, don't be afraid to get out there and try the content.

I'm a relatively fresh 50 with a few extra little things I got from the Black Talon:

Health: 15360 (around 16k with buff)

Armor: 6707

Damage reduction: 44.31%

Defense chance: 18.83%

Shield chance: 35.68%

Shield absorption: 27.65%

Accuracy: 92.75%

Critical chance: 12.38%

Critical multiplier: 50%

Also use a relic that will boost my shield rating and absorb by 185 and another that Alacrity by 355.

Dump the alacrity relic ASAP. If you have no other choice, hang on to it for the endurance, but once you can, grab something else. There are fantastic new relics for 200 daily commendations, so I'd recommend saving up for one of those. Also, as was said earlier, if you have any items which are blue or below level 50, consider picking up a cheap orange crafted item and filling it with the epic rank 22 armorings/mods/enhancements from the daily quests on Ilum & Belsavis.

Dump the alacrity relic ASAP. If you have no other choice, hang on to it for the endurance, but once you can, grab something else. There are fantastic new relics for 200 daily commendations, so I'd recommend saving up for one of those. Also, as was said earlier, if you have any items which are blue or below level 50, consider picking up a cheap orange crafted item and filling it with the epic rank 22 armorings/mods/enhancements from the daily quests on Ilum & Belsavis.

Alright. I got it relatively cheap from the recruit vendor. Should I just get another one for shield or do you recommend something else?

The only blue items I have are my two implants and the shield (both are from the recruit vendor). Everything else is purple or orange.

Then you should be relatively set to try some new HMs. I'd start with False Emperor, since you've already done Black Talon. I found it to be on the easier side.

Also, I'd grab a defense clicky trinket instead of alacrity. I'm pretty sure that with two, when you pop one, the other only has a 30 second cooldown before it's usable.

Then you should be relatively set to try some new HMs. I'd start with False Emperor, since you've already done Black Talon. I found it to be on the easier side.

Also, I'd grab a defense clicky trinket instead of alacrity. I'm pretty sure that with two, when you pop one, the other only has a 30 second cooldown before it's usable.

So you think I could start doing HM Boarding Party and Foundry?

I did Ilum not long ago, but I had lower stats at the time and so it was harder (that and none of us - none of us - had ever done it before)