Why can't Space combat be like Xwing vs Tie Fighter

jonfarrrr

Xwing was one of the best games ever made. When I played it I thought,"It'd be great if this was a MMORPG where you could recruit a fleet and fight large scale player vs player battles." (Yes, I thought this back with Xwing cuz I even tried to make the first MMORPG before UO came out.)

I'll resubscribe to the game if this ever happens in a patch. I think the biggest problem will simply be making sure everyone doesn't have maxxed out vehicles for the PVP, but maybe that is just unavoidable.

That's the main thing I liked about SWG. IT was excellent space combat, and you don't find a lot of decent space fighting like that.

Personally, I go to Black Prophecy for my space fix... not much in the story department, but space is great. It's less "technical" than EvE, not to mention it's free.

If they could do that, and still keep the space combat optional so you wouldn't have two entirely separate learning curves/games, I'd totally agree with you.

I loved X-Wing, TIE fighter, XvT and XWA. Many, many hours were spent on those games.

My favorite was a Y-Wing mission where at a set point right at the end of the mission, a Star Destroyer would drop out of hyperspace and start launching waves of TIE Interceptors at you. This was supposed to be your cue to leave. I'd always save up my protons, put the deflectors on double front, and charge in - wipe out all 72 fighters, then strafe the ISD before emptying the torpedoes into the shield generators. A few strafing runs with the ions, then park right off the bridge, cycle between lasers and ions, and blow the sucker up. Good times.

Now that you've got me all nostalgic, I think I'd have a hard time figuring out what part of the game I'd play at that point. Awesome lightsaber combat or locking the ol' S-foils in attack position?

Imagine a SW MMO game that merged the space combat from something like X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter and SWG and the ground combat of Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast/Academy, and you would have the single most comprehensive and engaging Star Wars combat simulator ever.

Layer thisa with the deep story and voice acting of SW-TOR and then tie into it the deep House and spaceship system and speeder mechanics of SWG, you would have a game that would never die.

Space can come later. Harder to tell stories, in a story driven mmo, when your behind a cockpit most of the time.

The way it is now, it's not harder to tell stories than if it was like the X-Wing series.

The problem is that the missions are repeated 2-3 times and it's just pew pew.

If they could add more things, it can get better. Like a mini-campaign or something.

And at times, it makes me feel like trying Rebel Assault II (the first was too damn hard without cheating :p) again. :)

Jump to light speed didn't come out for SWG until 1-2 years after release. and I imagine that Bioware have plans for space and space combat that are not anything like the on rails stuff we have now. Don't get me wrong, I am an on rails supporter. Its a nice change from the quest grind and Its enjoyable until your 50 (for me anyway).

Also if there was a complex space system now then half your servers community would be on their ships and unable to group with you for flashpoints etc. not to mention creating a fully 3d interactive environment for yours and everyone else's ships to fly around in would require almost (if not as much) as much coding as the on ground game. So considering having on rails over proper space ment 2-3 less years in development I'm willing to accept it.

When they do get around to upgrading space combat lets hope its like Xwing. Would be immense.

I just wish space combat would drop space ship loot. I have like most people here done everything I can but really only found two pieces of gear. I am assuming later I may get more but really that should be the loot you get. interesting ship mods.

I spent my fleet commendation points on a lockbox thinking it would be a piece of random ship loot. Nope it was a piece of green level 50 armor.

Space right now is just a minigame like playing tic tac toe while playing a game of chess. It has the potential to be more than what it currently is but I am willing to wait on space for the sake of getting other things in game that should have been there from the get go.

Check the space left unused on your installation medium.

They'd have had to drop a bit of the ingame voice stuff to make it happen.

There aint 'nuff space left to even implement a collision detection in space for bolts and missiles, or ships.

This game takes place like 3,000 years before the movies. Maybe there weren't invented yet? I dunno.

And in those 3000 years, the only thing they improved in the galaxy was giving droids prettier coverings.

Back to topic, i wouldn't mind more advanced space combat. The current system is save for the later missions, easy. But it works. :)

One thing I loved about SWG was that you could have PvP space combat, tricked out ships that were made entirely of parts created by another player (and were ****** parts at that), and you had more models of ships than you could shake a stick at. Now while I'm not saying lets have 3000 different models of ships for everyone's tastes, desires, etc., it would be nice if we had a more "space combat" feel to it, rather than an arcade game thrown into the mix of an MMO. Doubt this'll change much of anything, or do I know how much redev for something like that would run, BUT, a man can dream can't he?

Development cost. I for one love the current minigame format. It's simple enough that new content can be constantly added in without sacrificing development time on the main game.

I feel similarly.

What I often see people ask for amounts to almost an entire new game (effectively) being added onto the development cost. Flight combat simulators (which is what a lot of early space combat games like Wing Commander and X-Wing/TIE Fighter were designed to be) have a lot of specific engine quirks/development considerations that are entirely separate then those for an MMO.

I think the current mini-game format works for the moment and if they decide that they want to expand into a more robust space system later, that's fine. At present, however, it's a purely optional 'intermission' thing with all of the real, dedicated story taking place planet-side or otherwise in ground locations (just like in every other BioWare game ever - Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic never included serious space combat as a series, despite the fact it not exactly being out of place). I don't think that necessitates a significant amount of developer resources (though that is certainly subject to change later as time goes on).

It is what it is. A nice, fast 'break' from the main story/focus of the game. The mini-game format works well for it in that regard.