What's your pvp spec of choice?

kuuwaren

I recently started playing my level 17 assassin, that I had left abandoned while I played my other toons, and I have decided to make it purely a pvp toon. I haven't quite decided what I want to do as far as my spec goes. I'm pretty sure I want to dps as I have quite a bit of experence with doing dps. Then again, I've heard that tanking with an assassin can be pretty effective. What's everybody's opinions?

0/27/14 aka Wakajinn (mahalos to majinn above) ^

I used to play tank hybrid on my shadow, but started a Sin and went w/ this super bursty spec all the way and absolutely love it! I think burst dps is its own defense as a dead opponent cant hurt ya anymore! It has good survivability and love the speed burst and faster cooldown on sprint ... crit mauls can do 4k+ (sub50) ... it really felt like a wrecking crew spec at about lvl 35 or so.

Thanks for all the replies. Gonna try 0/27/14.

Forewarning it's not that good for leveling, I myself leveled as Darkness and found myself having no difficulties beating any bosses. I would suggest 23/1/17 until you're at least decently geared, 0/27/14 can still be fun I would assume but I didn't even start running the spec until the first day of 1.4 and I was fully geared already so I wouldn't really know I guess.

I was always a traditional 2/31/8, but then I tried out the 0/27/14 and haven't looked back. It has the same burstiness as full Dec at high gear levels but also has viable AoE for cap stopping and what not, with the added bonus of not placing a giant bullseye on your back in the form of VS. The Reck>DF>Discharge>shock combo is very effective for making people panic. Throw in a couple of well timed stuns and you can effectively 100--->0% someone without them ever touching you. You would have to then take a little break for cooldowns unless you feel like getting merc'd by a stander-by. This is a nigh untouchable 1v1 spec in my experience. Props to the players who popularized it.

Sometimes I run with a bastardized survivalist madness build when farting around in solo regular WZ's. It's viable against bad players but leaves a bit to be desired against good players(heavy ramp up time and can be a bit soft against heavy AoE). It looks something like this.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZdGb0zZfMbRrrkRf.2

^ Do not attempt unless you have good gear and are playing regular WZ's. Not intended for serious PvP.

Edited by Cowflab

it really felt like a wrecking crew spec at about lvl 35 or so.

Be interested to know what your build looked like around that level. Currently sat at 41, wondering what your build was missing as opposed to the full 0/24/17. I'd kinda like to try this build out :)

For level 41, I would probably run it like this:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/assassin#0-d78cif-2830f

(for the cheaper death field - if u dont use it as much, put the 2 in fanatacism into saber conduit

I think at lvl 32, getting my finisher early vs. other classes was a huge boost to kills/dps overall and then at 36 force shroud really gives us more survivability and utility in being able to escape other ACs abilities ... to me, that's a gamebreaker. Hope that helps! BTW i am heavily twinked w/ purple hilts + 41 power crystals and all orange gear w/ current blue mods and blue augments etc. ... max damage now is 888 and crit is 25% w/ 75% surge ... im enjoying my WZ comm stacking now from 47-50 :)

I've always stuck with 23/1/17, I've grown too used to it and all its benefits and shortfalls to know what to do in most situations. Also uploading regular PVP videos, among other things.

Here's one of my first ever match in the Ancient Hypergate that I uploaded recently.

Edited by Grogget

Been using http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZfGbRzbZfrcorMkb.2 for the last couple days (play in lightning charge) and am loving it. It has consistent 6k+ maul crits, crushing darkness procs, death field, instant whirlwind, is highly mobile, blackout as a defensive/offensive CD, and AOE damage reduction. The only major weakness that I've seen is that it lacks a low CD CC ability like deep deception or darkness builds have. Other than that I've been having very little issues in both large and small scale fights.