1.2 Sniper PVE Builds?

You should remember OS for the opener. It does fantastic DPE.

I use SS > OS > TA > normal rotation stuff for 4 reasons:

1. OS is great DPE and should always be used when up.

2. Charging OS will regen the small energy loss from SS.

3. TA will gain you back some energy so you can get through your rotation. You can use 1-2 Rifle Shots to bring you back up to 66+, or you can go all-out and make use of AP.

4. Charging OS will allow the tanks a bit of extra time to build aggro on the boss. I don't like when the big guys charge me :p

All valid points and all duly noted. My main concern was my lack of DPS with this spec, but now that I found the "hole" in my "bare bones" rotation, i will be fleshing it out with all of the above on OP bosses.

P.S. I oh so much miss the ballistic dampers for mitigation, but due to the high mobility of this spec, i will make do with evasion and shield probe.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently run with 28/11/2 http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/sniper#i898cce3e-600le-c

I can pull higher DPS with 2/8/31 on single target but I found the 28/11/2 build to be more powerful.

The reliance on Corrosive Grenade with Lethality pisses me off for so many reasons:

- Target swapping is a ***** due to the 12 sec CD

- The AOE effect is often terrible, for example if CC is necessary or at the 2nd Boss(the 2 Hovertanks) in Denova. I always gotta kick the 2 adds out of the shield in order to not blow up the shield generator with the CG. If you are grouped with a melee in the shield thats a problem :p

- putting a CD and CG on a target before you can do any meaningful dmg is a pain in the *** and often total overkill

- With 28/11/2 I can do single target dmg with no reliance on AOE which is very CC friendly.

- I can do insane AOE that totally blows Bounty Hunters out of the water with Orbital Strike and Frag Grenade Spam. Which comes in handy on Denovas 3rd and 4th Boss fight HM.

- I got a lot more survivability with Ballistic Dampeners and Cover Screen.

- I got meaningful dmg during movement with Interrogation Probe, Corrosive Dart, Instant Snipe, Followthrough, 1,5sec Ambush and Explosive Probe

- Its easy to build Interrogation Probe into your rotation due to the increased energy from Sniper Volley.

- Interrogation Probe is better DPE than Corrosive Dart with a few armor debuffs on target

- Imperial Assassin rocks with a few armor debuffs on the target, I do a lot more dmg when paired with a few BH, so I guess they still stack.

- I can burst on demand with no setup time with Dots. The 2/8/31 can do good burst, but doing so will leave you energy starved and if Adrenaline Probe is on CD you got a problem..

Katti/Yoli, Darth Traya EU

Edited by Piccahontas

All very good points. And I agree the set up time for Lethality is not ideal sometimes, and CG is tricky in mob packs that are CC's (feeling gimped by using only CD)

My question is tho, in terms of stat weights for Lethality, is Crit > Power? thanks

My question is tho, in terms of stat weights for Lethality, is Crit > Power? thanks

Definitely so, because if you don't have crit, you don't regen energy! ;)

The exact point would depend on the rest of your gear, though. You should use Tibbel's Kick-A.S.S.* Spreadsheet of Awesomeness to determine at which point you should go for power over crit :D

A.S.S. = Awesome Sniper Spreadsheet

Edited by psi_overtake

I currently run with 28/11/2 http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/sniper#i898cce3e-600le-c

I can pull higher DPS with 2/8/31 on single target but I found the 28/11/2 build to be more powerful.

The reliance on Corrosive Grenade with Lethality pisses me off for so many reasons:

- Target swapping is a ***** due to the 12 sec CD

- The AOE effect is often terrible, for example if CC is necessary or at the 2nd Boss(the 2 Hovertanks) in Denova. I always gotta kick the 2 adds out of the shield in order to not blow up the shield generator with the CG. If you are grouped with a melee in the shield thats a problem :p

- putting a CD and CG on a target before you can do any meaningful dmg is a pain in the *** and often total overkill

- With 28/11/2 I can do single target dmg with no reliance on AOE which is very CC friendly.

- I can do insane AOE that totally blows Bounty Hunters out of the water with Orbital Strike and Frag Grenade Spam. Which comes in handy on Denovas 3rd and 4th Boss fight HM.

- I got a lot more survivability with Ballistic Dampeners and Cover Screen.

- I got meaningful dmg during movement with Interrogation Probe, Corrosive Dart, Instant Snipe, Followthrough, 1,5sec Ambush and Explosive Probe

- Its easy to build Interrogation Probe into your rotation due to the increased energy from Sniper Volley.

- Interrogation Probe is better DPE than Corrosive Dart with a few armor debuffs on target

- Imperial Assassin rocks with a few armor debuffs on the target, I do a lot more dmg when paired with a few BH, so I guess they still stack.

- I can burst on demand with no setup time with Dots. The 2/8/31 can do good burst, but doing so will leave you energy starved and if Adrenaline Probe is on CD you got a problem..

Katti/Yoli, Darth Traya EU

I dig what you're saying... so what is your attack order for a typical fight?

Definitely so, because if you don't have crit, you don't regen energy! ;)

The exact point would depend on the rest of your gear, though. You should use Tibbel's Kick-A.S.S.* Spreadsheet of Awesomeness to determine at which point you should go for power over crit :D

A.S.S. = Awesome Sniper Spreadsheet

Just add to this:

The stat weights calculator in the Sniper/Gunslinger Spreadsheet uses each ability's damage increase multiplied by its frequency of use (in the user-defined action sequence on the 'Rotation' tab -or= in the user-defined ability breakdown estimation on the 'Stat Weights' tab). It cannot currently estimate increased ability usage, which is all of alacrity's benefit (the reason alacrity is not calculated), but also part of crit's benefit to Lethality snipers. The result is that crit rating -- and to a lesser degree, cunning -- is undervalued on the spreadsheet for Lethality/Dirty Fighting.

The increased energy regen from crit due to Lethal Purpose can be accounted for, though. (This is something I've got on the list for future spreadsheet improvements.)

If Cull is used on cooldown and both CD and CG have 100% uptime, then the average energy regeneration per second from Lethal Purpose is:

(poison ticks/second) * (crits per tick) * (energy per crit)

from Cull = (6 ticks / 9s) * (tech crit chance + 8% from Razor Rounds) * (2 energy per crit)

= 0.1067 + 1.333 * (tech crit chance)

(If Razor Rounds is assumed not to affect Cull's poison ticks, then do not include the 0.1067 constant.)

PLUS

from CD and CG = (7.5 ticks / 18s + 7 ticks / 21s) * (tech crit chance + 12% from Lethal Dose) * (2 energy per crit)

= 0.1800 + 1.500 * (tech crit chance)

Totaling it all up, the total energy regen increase from increasing crit chance is:

= 0.2867 + 2.833 * (change in tech crit chance)

The change in tech crit chance can be (and is) calculated by the spreadsheet given initial values for crit rating and cunning.

We can translate the EPS increase into a DPS increase by multiplying by the damage difference between a Rifle Shot and whatever will replace it (probably Explosive Probe for pure Leth, or Snipe for a hybrid spec), and then dividing by the energy cost difference.

THAT SAID...

Which filler ability would see the most common increase in use with increased energy regen?

(I do not run a Lethality spec, so I need some help here!)

A link to a full combat log (the longer the better) along with your tech crit chance would be all the information I need. Send me a PM here or over at SWTOR-Mechanics.com if you can help me out with some data!

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbdRRRGoZbIZb.1

Thats my latest build tried it last night in EC norm was pretty good, dps went up to 2k across a boss encounter in some cases. Energy is not too much of a problem as SOS is pretty much on cooldown and snipers volley now makes the heavy marksman spec a bit more viable. Went for the 3 points in probe and junked 1 point in crit because my gear allowed it and left snipers volley on 2 points because it procs enough already to keep my energy up.

I tried Leth builds but it just wasnt happening for me as I had energy issues but im pretty sure thats down to how I play more than anything else.

Enjoy