Still have little/no desire to play a non force class

Darth_Solrac

Actually, I have the opposite problem.

I can't identify with force-users. It feels too "mage-ish" and made-up, and just ruins immersion for me. Maybe because the force is so visible and tangible in this game (can be "spent" on a bar, and flashy animations), whereas the force in the "real Star Wars" is much more ethereal. Or maybe it's because I don't go for eastern mysticism in general...

That said, you'd probably be best off with a bounty hunter or smuggler if you want "star wars-ish." Just because they have more of a basis in movie characters. Probably bounty hunter especially, since their moves are more signature to star wars (wrist attacks, jetpack).

Personality-wise, I like the smuggler because the story has a sense of independence, and your dealings with the seedy underworld are very star-wars in nature (lots of cantina interactions, etc...). You get the sense of a "lived-in universe" that the franchise is known for. You're reminded that the galaxy is a place where many look out for themselves in contrast to following some rigid code. To me this doesn't detract from Star Wars, but enhances it as as whole. It reminds you that the Galaxy is a WORLD, not just a lightsaber battleground.

Agent is actually the least "star wars-ey" since it has no basis in the cannon or even the franchise in general. They just needed to make up a stealth/ranged class for the Empire. Surprised you'd choose that one. Not saying agent's BAD, just probably not what you want.

Edited by Stenrik

Actually, I have the opposite problem.

I can't identify with force-users. It feels too "mage-ish" and made-up, and just ruins immersion for me. Maybe because the force is so visible and tangible in this game (can be "spent" on a bar, and flashy animations), whereas the force in the "real Star Wars" is much more ethereal. Or maybe it's because I don't go for eastern mysticism in general...

That said, you'd probably be best off with a bounty hunter or smuggler if you want "star wars-ish." Just because they have more of a basis in movie characters. Probably bounty hunter especially, since their moves are more signature to star wars (wrist attacks, jetpack).

Personality-wise, I like the smuggler because the story has a sense of independence, and your dealings with the seedy underworld are very star-wars in nature (lots of cantina interactions, etc...). You get the sense of a "lived-in universe" that the franchise is known for. You're reminded that the galaxy is a place where many look out for themselves in contrast to following some rigid code. To me this doesn't detract from Star Wars, but enhances it as as whole. It reminds you that the Galaxy is a WORLD, not just a lightsaber battleground.

Agent is actually the least "star wars-ey" since it has no basis in the cannon or even the franchise in general. They just needed to make up a stealth/ranged class for the Empire. Surprised you'd choose that one. Not saying agent's BAD, just probably not what you want.

If there aint a lightsaber on my belt, it just loses alot of appeal to me. I already know I have no desire to play Trooper. I tend to favor the Sith/Empire/Dark Side, so being a grunt in the Republic Army is just.....yea. So that's why if I'm gonna play a non force class, it'll probably be IA. Plus the IA story keeps getting rave reviews round here.

Edited by Darth_Solrac

Are you using "grunt" to refer to smuggler as well? Because I disagree about that.

Story-wise, smugglers start out as only looking out for themselves, screw the Republic (in general, you can play pro-republic if you want). In later levels, they become operatives/privateers. They do special, spy-type assignments and work for gangsters too, gaining a reputation in the underworld. Along the way, they get the chance to screw over the republic for their own desires if they want. Does that sound like a "Republic grunt" to you?

I understand if you prefer dark side, though why constrain yourself to one faction?

I think the most fun is going against the grain of whatever faction you're on (light side empire or dark side Republic, or neutral for either). I think people who constrain themselves to only one faction are limiting themselves needlessly in terms of setting and story.

Regarding troopers, you may be right that you wouldn't like it, but... playing a dark side trooper is hellafun. I have one. :D

Edited by Stenrik

Are you using "grunt" to refer to smuggler as well? Because I disagree about that.

Story-wise, smugglers start out as only looking out for themselves, screw the Republic (in general, you can play pro-republic if you want). In later levels, they become operatives/privateers. They do special, spy-type assignments and work for gangsters too, gaining a reputation in the underworld. Along the way, they get the chance to screw over the republic for their own desires if they want. Does that sound like a "Republic grunt" to you?

I understand if you prefer dark side, though why constrain yourself to one faction?

I think the most fun is going against the grain of whatever faction you're on (light side empire or dark side Republic). I think people who constrain themselves to only one faction are limiting themselves needlessly in terms of setting and story.

No no, I mean grunt for Trooper specifically, Republic military in general. I do also plan rolling a LS Sith Warrior or DS Jedi Knight next. Aint decided on which yet.

Just ceases being like SW to me. I may try IA tho. Agree?

Agree with what? That non jedi aren't star wars? I disagree with that, that issue is in your head.

IA has a good story but they have no lightsabers, so if lightsabers = star wars you're in for disappointment.

Ironically IA is the only class that doesn't really have a movie persona you can identify them with, so it's curious you pick that one of the others available.

Ironically IA is the only class that doesn't really have a movie persona you can identify them with, so it's curious you pick that one of the others available.

He explained that above after I asked the same thing. And also why he wouldn't want to play trooper.

But not why smuggler or bounty hunter aren't an option, so I dunno.

Edited by Stenrik

I too thought I wouldn't have any desire to play a non-Force user. Then I rolled a trooper and smuggler, and now have no interest in playing Jedi/Sith other than my Sith Warrior because his lightside story is awesome.

It's probably just personal preference, but there's more of an "everyman" feel when playing the non-Force users and it's very easy to identify with your character. A lot of the dialogue alignment-changing options also made me step back and really consider which option to choose, rather than just being your typical Jedi black-and-white options, where you can basically only save or kill someone.

It's really engaging to play any alignment, light, dark, neutral, or anything in between for all the non-Force users, while playing a darkside Jedi Consular, clearly wasn't intended and ends up being ridiculously lame story-wise. It's also all the more awesome being just another guy with a gun, fighting your way to the top and taking out people much more powerful than you with your advanced tech and cunning. Always being "the chosen one" in every Jedi/Sith story gets a little tiring.

Edited by Jenzali

Play the game "Republic Commando", then youll see why Troopers are awesome ;)

Agents are a lot of fun though if you play one go Operative because a Sniper just does not fit the majority of the story IMO, theres a lot of 007 in there(which is why Im still pissed about not being able to use Pistols).

The glowstick classes didnt have much draw to me initially just because Id already played so much KOTOR, so it was a kind of been there done that already thing. But I really like my Jugghead, the animations fit well(as opposed to a Guardian, whose animations are kind of... eh).

Yah, I'm having a LOT more fun with my Agent than my Juggernaut, just because your power level feels a lot more appropriate with the challenges you're facing. My Juggernaut just doesn't feel amazing enough to live up to the Jedi that the movies show. For the agent, expectations are naturally lower, which makes the class feel, ironically, more powerful.

I actually think the non-Force classes are more interesting than the Force ones. Their stories are more individualistic and have character and heart to them, whereas the Jedi/Sith stories are more run-of-the-mill, typical heroic story. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for, but we rarely see any stories of "normal" people in Star Wars, so it's extremely refreshing for me to get that for one.

I was in the same predicament until I rolled a Trooper. To me, being a Trooper is just cool. I think they have some of the best looking armor sets in the game, and being an elite Republic military force just felt really Star Wars like to me. I rolled Commando but wasn't feeling it much, but since I love the vibe I get from playing a Trooper I am rolling a Vanguard and I think it will suit me perfectly.

Really though, the only force class I could ever really commit to was my Jedi Shadow. Sage was cool, but it felt too repetitive since I already had a Shadow with the story and animations and wardrobe and all. Then with Sorc, I got tired of every single attack I use just being purple lightning in a different form, not to mention the whole FOTM it had going for it made it even cheesier.

I want to play a Jedi Knight for the sole purpose of everybody stating how it is KOTOR III and the classis Star Wars story and feel, but I have never been able to stick to a Warrior or a Knight. BH was my first choice when I bought the game, but when I saw their armor I was turned off to it because it looked like a random sci-fi soldier instead of a BH. I realize what time period we are in and I hate to break that kind of stuff, but in this one exception I would kill for some Fett style Mandalorian armor, even if it was just the helmet.

First I think you should abandon the idea that you need the game to feel like star wars (at least all the time) in order to enjoy it.

I highly recommend rolling an agent, I made a sniper and it's by far the most fun I've had in the game. I see someone mentioned operative is better for the rp aspect of the story but I disagree with that. It feels very agent-like ducking behind cover and sniping people out before they even know I'm there. Just don't expect the story to feel like classic star wars, expect it to feel like, as many have said, a james bond story in a star wars universe.

Yea, my favorite classes in the game so far are the bounty hunter and smuggler (played a smuggler during beta, bounty hunter was my first 50 on live). Both classes have a ton of personality and character, their stories are much better written than the force user stories as well (in my opinion, anyways).

Ugh, still can't decide if I wanna roll a LS Sith Warrior or DS Jedi Knight next. Any who have played either or both, who has the better storyline overall?

If I choose DS JK, I want him to have, slightly, the feel of Anakin when he was a DS JK (mid EP.2-EP 3).

• 2 weeks later...
Ugh, still can't decide if I wanna roll a LS Sith Warrior or DS Jedi Knight next. Any who have played either or both, who has the better storyline overall?

If I choose DS JK, I want him to have, slightly, the feel of Anakin when he was a DS JK (mid EP.2-EP 3).

LS sith warrior is fuuuuuuuuuun. Do you like making jedi facepalm? Turn on their bretheren with just your words? Light side SW is for you!

LS sith warrior is fuuuuuuuuuun. Do you like making jedi facepalm? Turn on their bretheren with just your words? Light side SW is for you!

Preeeeeetty sure this is sarcastic, but--

I would like to make jedi facepalm, and turn on them with my words, though, so... :D

Edited by Stenrik

Preeeeeetty sure this is sarcastic, but--

I would like to make jedi facepalm, and turn on them with my words, though, so... :D

I'd assume he meant you force persuade them to attack their jedi/trooper friends/allies. Which is something that I've noticed occurs in every force user story I've played (Inquis, Jedi Knight, & Consular).

OT: While BH might be more "canon", it's story is really not star warsy at all, imo. I went LS with mine, and the story felt more like dawg the bounty hunter than part of star wars. The agent's story at least talks about the force, republic vs empire, etc....Other than a few passing comments, and the names of certain characters/places/things, the Bounty Hunter story could take place in any Sci-fi universe.

The bounty hunter and smuggler are the outside influence. Mercenaries, free roamers, call them what you will. Their story only has one center objective, and that's taken care of number one.. unlike other classes who have all of these superiors to report to and take orders.. these two classes do things if they feel like it.

If there aint a lightsaber on my belt, it just loses alot of appeal to me. I already know I have no desire to play Trooper. I tend to favor the Sith/Empire/Dark Side, so being a grunt in the Republic Army is just.....yea. So that's why if I'm gonna play a non force class, it'll probably be IA. Plus the IA story keeps getting rave reviews round here.

Fine.... more Sith-killing, Laser firing, Imperial company decimating, Battledroid transformer fun for me!

LS Sith Warrior is..ok. It doesn't really fit, you aren't being a Jedi in disguise as some people may like to think. You are basically a very fair Sith with differing ideals to the 99% other dark siders, sparing lives and being civil with your enemies. You are still a loyal Empire follower, you just act in a nicer manner.

I haven't tried a dark side Jedi before, but I think it would actually be more fun than an LS sith if you are trying to really feel the part of a fallen Jedi.