Having Trouble With My Guild...

Talon_strikes

Trying to recruit is kinda killing me. During the end of April, I hit gold and actually got members joining my Pub guild. We got up to average of 40–50 real players, with some being their alts. I decided to go to the Imp side and start up a sister guild, which got an average of 20–30 players.

Sadly, I had to leave SWTOR during mid-May due to personal issues. Once summer break started I knew I could come back and work on my guilds. So a month passed and I got back on SWTOR. No one really quit the guilds but I guess they ran out of a sub or were waiting until SWTOR interested them again, but now it's so hard getting members to join. Most of the players at the starter and capital planets are just alts and some have very freaky names with alt characters in them, and it would be even harder to keep them from quitting since really it would be just us until we got more players to join.

I'm not looking to merge into another guild or quitting and giving up just to join another guild, but I really want a great experience leading my own guild and getting a tight-knit community full of gamers who can get to personally know each other.

I'm not sure what to do because there are so many guilds out there, some that are "zergy" with their invites and others that are just hard to compete with, and with each obstacle it just sounds more difficult. Do any of you have any advice to recruit? I just don't wanna give up.

Thank you. c:

I almost never "recruit", what I do is I just enjoy the game; if I like them and think they aren't going to be a "drama causer", I offer them a welcome, then leave the subject alone. If they want to join on the spot or in a week+ time they may. Pushing them or yourself is pointless. Just enjoy the game. Edited by Brimmer

I wish I had some good ideas for you. But I think I've seen a alot of people, since the transfer, without guilds (All 50's too). I personally, sadly, I have changed Imp guilds three times since I moved over. I might quit the one I have too, sadly.

The best thing, I think to do, would be to keep advertising. When someone joins, make sure to talk to them, even if it is just you two. Keep them interested. If it is a new player, ask them if they need help or have any questions.

:) Good luck!

I almost never "recruit", what I do is I just enjoy the game; if I like them and think they aren't going to be a "drama causer", I offer them a welcome, then leave the subject alone. If they want to join on the spot or in a week+ time they may. Pushing them or yourself is pointless. Just enjoy the game.

Well I don't spend the majority of the time in the game recruiting, but when I post a message or two I just never get a response. Usually the players I group up with are already in a guild, so it's just this that makes me feel so discouraged.

I guess I will just have to keep leveling up and grouping up as much as possible to possibly get somewhere.

I wish I had some good ideas for you. But I think I've seen a alot of people, since the transfer, without guilds (All 50's too). I personally, sadly, I have changed Imp guilds three times since I moved over. I might quit the one I have too, sadly.

The best thing, I think to do, would be to keep advertising. When someone joins, make sure to talk to them, even if it is just you two. Keep them interested. If it is a new player, ask them if they need help or have any questions.

:) Good luck!

Thank you for that! :) That was a really nice response, and I'm sorry that you're going through all those guild transitions.

My guild actually got started because when I started my alts on The Fatman, I hosted an Ops Group for the datacrons on Tython. That's what got my guilds up, but with those guys inactive on SWTOR—and the other players in my guild—it's just me alone.

Again, thank you, and good luck on your guild endeavors, too. c:

I would suggest that you start Datacron hunting groups again. Start an alt and as you progress through planets take a night (or several) and find all the crons there. Or take your highest lvl toon and help lower lvl's. Maybe if you get enough you could even take on a world boss or two. Those are great recruiting tools, because everyone wan'ts crons. World bosses are nice too because they offer a no pressure way to get a group of people together for one common goal. Just make sure you share the loot, I find asking for need and greed rolls will help make sure that everyone gets a fare shot at the loot. Also keep in mind that you don't have to be the one asking for a group to recruit. Join in a few heroics or flashpoints and recruit small. One or two good players that mesh with your ideas about how to play or what they want from the game can make all the difference.

Be bold and chat (in whispers) to people you meet during group activities (flashpoints, operations, group missions) which strike you as suitable additions to your guild. Never mind their guild status, quite a few folk are guilded for sentimental or conveniency reasons but not really attached to their guild. If you get the impression that the person you're chatting to is not interested in joining your guild (you should know after a whisper or two), wish them a good day/fun ingame, and move on. And if you get the impression they might just be interested, take it from there, start pitching your guild! You'd be surprised how often that works.

(I am being recruited for raiding guilds almost weekly, even though I'm guilded. Apparently, I make a rather intelligent and mature impression... HAHAHA, oh boy :cool: )

One thing i'd advise against is just throwing a guild invite on someone you see that isn't guilded without chatting with them first. So annoying, and i'd never join a guild that didnt take time to say hi and find out a little about me and what i'm looking for in a guild.

The first thing you need to figure out is what is your guild's main objective? Is it a PVP guild whereby you aspire to be the best ranked PVPers on your server? Is it a raiding guild? Do you aspire to be one of the first few people to clear the hardest PVE content? Is it a casual social guild? If you raid, how many times a week and what kind of commitment are you looking for?

You will only be able to recruit if you are able to offer what people are looking for. There is no point to recruit a PVPer if you are a raiding guild, no matter how good was the person healing or defending objectives in PVP.

It also helps if you know most of the guilds on your server and what they are like, so you will be able to tell whether there is a mismatch between the players and their guilds. That said, it is fine to ask but don't push. Let them have time to consider and speak to their guildmasters if they are interested. And I agree that tossing a guild invite without a chat/introduction is very rude.