Best stats for Scoundrel

thecoffeeguy

Hey everyone.

As I level my Scoundrel, question on what stats I should pay attention to and how I should stack stats.

Cunning is the obvious one, followed by endurance.

I guess my next question is, what should follow that?

Power?

Critical rating?

Surge?

Alacrity?

I was not to sure and wanted to ask as I work on my gear.

Currently running the scrapper tree (level 36 BTW), but I am planning on healing a bit more in WZ's.

Appreciate the help.

TCG

Due to how the Diminishing Returns on various stats work, and because we get certain perks trigger for Criticals, while leveling you should be stacking Cunning as your primary and then Crit/Surge as your secondary (although Power is never a bad thing to have.) When you hit endgame you want to make sure you don't go above the soft caps on Crit/Surge (300, 200) and stack as much power as you can.

I actually disagree about Accuracy being useless. It isn't amazing by any stretch and in PVP you don't need that much but you should be trying to get your ranged accuracy close to 100% (and your tech accuracy thus to 110%.) Missing 10% of your attacks is a huge hit to your DPS. Alacrity is pretty much useless, though, even for healers. A little is fine but Crit/Surge is more useful.

Due to how the Diminishing Returns on various stats work, and because we get certain perks trigger for Criticals, while leveling you should be stacking Cunning as your primary and then Crit/Surge as your secondary (although Power is never a bad thing to have.) When you hit endgame you want to make sure you don't go above the soft caps on Crit/Surge (300, 200) and stack as much power as you can.

I actually disagree about Accuracy being useless. It isn't amazing by any stretch and in PVP you don't need that much but you should be trying to get your ranged accuracy close to 100% (and your tech accuracy thus to 110%.) Missing 10% of your attacks is a huge hit to your DPS. Alacrity is pretty much useless, though, even for healers. A little is fine but Crit/Surge is more useful.

The accuracy part is wrong. Most attacks, like, almost every single one you use, is a Tech damage attack, meaning it will always hit. Since this is what you will need (Shoot First, Backblast, Sucker Punch -> Flying Fists, maybe a Thermal Grenade once in a while) you shouldn't spend anything on accuracy, ever. The only ranged attack (therefore, prone to missing your enemy) is your Flurry of Bolts, which doesn't really do that much damage anyway.

Ok firstly there are no real soft caps in this game, its just what people have invented, and everyone's idea of the "definition" of soft cap varies alot too. Also, bear in mind that with each stat having a DR curve, stat wieghts change as you get more or less of each one, hence your 'soft caps' change too under some philospohy's.

Also, why would you say keep surge at now more than 200, when there is NOTHING worthwhile as a scrapper for him to use instead? Silly with a capital S. If you were a healer i might suggest a little alacrity to you (only a little), but really, what else is he gonna stack that isn't useless? Stack as much surge as you can get mate.

Otherwise it sounds alright, with cunning/power/crit/surge etc... Also quick shot uses accuracy, so if you use quick shot alot bear that in mind ... (but accuracy still is wasted and not worth getting imo)

If you are gonna heal at all, i would suggest getting enough alacrity to get UWM down to a 1.8s cast. It basically takes 102 alacrity (2 bm peices). Very easy to achieve, costs you virtually nothing due to surge DR curve, and as a 550k+ regular heals healer in a busy voidstar game, i can tell you a little alacrity helps alot. But alot of alacrity helps very little.... :)

Edited by GHoppa

I'm surprised there isn't a longer thread and better theorycraft on this topic.

All players have 5% base defense, so it's usually worthwhile to shoot for 5% accuracy bonus so our tech accuracy will always hit anyone but a tank, particularly since there's so much accuracy on our top end gear. That's three 140 level peices.

I'm very interested in where the crossover point for DR on crit/surge is vs power, my sense is it's somewhere in the 250-300 range for both.

UM gets down to 1.8 sec with only 2 peices of alacrity? I'm surprised by that. I've never really tested alacrity as it seems to be the weakest stat, I thought our healing throughput is energy capped and I play primarily scrapper, but I off-heal a lot so it would be very useful to get my burst healing output up.

The accuracy part is wrong. Most attacks, like, almost every single one you use, is a Tech damage attack, meaning it will always hit. Since this is what you will need (Shoot First, Backblast, Sucker Punch -> Flying Fists, maybe a Thermal Grenade once in a while) you shouldn't spend anything on accuracy, ever. The only ranged attack (therefore, prone to missing your enemy) is your Flurry of Bolts, which doesn't really do that much damage anyway.

Nope, Tech attacks don't automatically hit. They will always hit against somebody with low defense because they have a base 100% hit chance with them (and you'll probably have some accuracy on your gear) but Operation bosses have a 10% defense chance which means that if your tech accuracy is less than 110% they have a chance to avoid the attacks. Even running at 98/108 accuracy I've had Blaster Whips fail to connect (easy to notice because if that happens you don't get the UH proc.)

Nope, Tech attacks don't automatically hit. They will always hit against somebody with low defense because they have a base 100% hit chance with them (and you'll probably have some accuracy on your gear) but Operation bosses have a 10% defense chance which means that if your tech accuracy is less than 110% they have a chance to avoid the attacks. Even running at 98/108 accuracy I've had Blaster Whips fail to connect (easy to notice because if that happens you don't get the UH proc.)

But flying fists only occurs 50% of time when blaster whipping a target, which in turn generates UH on bleeding targets.

I'm surprised there isn't a longer thread and better theorycraft on this topic.

All players have 5% base defense, so it's usually worthwhile to shoot for 5% accuracy bonus so our tech accuracy will always hit anyone but a tank, particularly since there's so much accuracy on our top end gear. That's three 140 level peices.

I'm very interested in where the crossover point for DR on crit/surge is vs power, my sense is it's somewhere in the 250-300 range for both.

UM gets down to 1.8 sec with only 2 peices of alacrity? I'm surprised by that. I've never really tested alacrity as it seems to be the weakest stat, I thought our healing throughput is energy capped and I play primarily scrapper, but I off-heal a lot so it would be very useful to get my burst healing output up.

I far as i am concerned there is no DR for Power, its the gift that keeps on giving.

Have you looked at the DR graphs over at Sithwarrior?

Unfortunately we are stuck with crit/surge or power/surge which usually leads to more than optimum surge if you are hard on stacking power, which you should be especially on enhancements. If only there were a Crit/Power option.

With the new tiers of gear in 1.2 and the ability to swap armor mods if need be, I will be able to go from 760ish tech damage buffed to the low 900's

You don't take Accuracy for tech attacks so that they don't miss. You take accuracy when other stats soft cap and then reduce your targets resistance to your attacks. Less resistance = more damage. Accuracy over 100% for tech reduces resistance not defence.

Surge soft caps so bloody easily now you barely need to gear for it. I would still bet that most players waste tons of stat potential on it thinking that last 2-3% surge makes all the diff in the world ... when it is dependent on another lower % stat to do anything to being with.

The one good thing about parsers coming out is that finally the truth will start coming out as to where stats can start being ignored and others concentrated on.

Edited by Tamanous

You don't take Accuracy for tech attacks so that they don't miss. You take accuracy when other stats soft cap and then reduce your targets resistance to your attacks. Less resistance = more damage. Accuracy over 100% for tech reduces resistance not defence.

Completely incorrect. Accuracy reduces avoidance and not mitigation.

Completely incorrect. Accuracy reduces avoidance and not mitigation.

Accuracy works differently on the type of attack.

Ranged/Melee = accuracy over 100% reduces the target's defense.

Tech/Force = accuracy over 100% reduces the target's resistance.

I am simply saying that there is an effect. I also said I am glad for parsers to finally come out to test it.

I'd like to know where the Power stat is more effective against certain mitigation and where Accuracy takes over against higher mitigation if ever it does. It seems logical power boosts your main damage which is then subject to mitigation but accuracy lowers damage reduction prior to calculating damage. This would lead one to believe that one stat might become the better one against higher percentages of damage reduction.

Seeing most of the tech attacks are kinetic, they are subject the greatest % of damage reduction as armor is factored in unless of course you spec internal (poison or bleeds).

And that is the point. Hopefully real data will finally come out.

Edited by Tamanous

Accuracy works differently on the type of attack.

Ranged/Melee = accuracy over 100% reduces the target's defense.

Tech/Force = accuracy over 100% reduces the target's resistance.

I am simply saying that there is an effect. I also said I am glad for parsers to finally come out to test it.

I'd like to know where the Power stat is more effective against certain mitigation and where Accuracy takes over against higher mitigation if ever it does. It seems logical power boosts your main damage which is then subject to mitigation but accuracy lowers damage reduction prior to calculating damage. This would lead one to believe that one stat might become the better one against higher percentages of damage reduction.

Seeing most of the tech attacks are kinetic, they are subject the greatest % of damage reduction as armor is factored in unless of course you spec internal (poison or bleeds).

And that is the point. Hopefully real data will finally come out.

Resistance is avoidance and not mitigation in Star Wars. Accuracy works the same way regardless of attack type.

First, Tamanous is mistaken and Thepedia is correct in what he is saying about accuracy.

How much accuracy really brings up your dps will soon be found out, but i suspect it will be two fifths of sweet F A. If you are already in the 72%ish mark for surge, and have nothing else to take, then i see no harm in taking accuracy. But i believe that surge is more important than accuracy, especially in a pvp scenario.

And yes, as a healer, if you take black market mods in the dirty fighting tree, 2 pieces of bm alacrity gear will give your UWM a 1.8sec cast. I did mention it was worth it for healers. If you don't take BM mods, then you might need a little more than that.

Thanks for the clarification on accuracy, guys.

I had suspected it was fairly useless, especially in entry-level gear. (Of course I'm working on my field medics set, which keeps forcing alacrity on me, so I dunno if it's much better.)

So my question - can people with champion/BM "Field medic's" set do well if they spec dps? I'm currently a healer and I was hoping to spec scrapper at some point. I really don't want to have to grind out a whole new set.

I mean, if accuracy won't benefit me much anyways as a scrapper, I figure that I won't be taking much of a hit, right?

Edited by Stenrik

As you get your BM gear, swap out your enhancements on it for the Champ versions that you are trying to stack. Post 1.2 this will be even easier to stack the mods according to our play style/spec.

rinse and repeat as you get more gear until you have everything you need.

So my question - can people with champion/BM "Field medic's" set do well if they spec dps? I'm currently a healer and I was hoping to spec scrapper at some point. I really don't want to have to grind out a whole new set.

Yes, but you will be leaving DPS on the table unless you min/max for DPS. But in general, your skill will be more important.

IMO Surge is our best stat until about 300 rating, which is roughly 75%. Crit is second to surge, because our talents and buff increase our crit enough so that we don't need too much of it. Also because we are a burst class, and obviously 40% crit will do wonders for our initial burst out of stealth. Once you get about 35-40% crit, then go for power. Power gives you a flat damage increase, and it scales amazingly.