Armor value and rating on orange gear?

nezroy

I'm sure there's a formula, I haven't seen it yet, but an upgrade is an upgrade.

True - but sometime i want to compare it to a non-modable armor piece. Like - if i buy the mods for the orange robe i have, will it turn out better then the armor i have now? Would be nice if I could figure that out without actually having to buy the mods first and install them.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The base armor of all orange items is the same. Every Light armor has for example 25 base armor. Every Medium 50 and every Heavy 100.

Orange items's (Armor pieces) armor scales with the level of the "Armoring" upgrade you put in.

Orange item's (Lightsabers) damage scales with the level of the "Hilt" upgrade you put in.

hope this clarifies. So you don't have to compare anything with taking out mods and stuff. Just compare the total stats and your good. As for stats, no orange item has stats of it's own. Every stat it has comes from the upgrades. So it's just a matter of calculating which ones you prefer or are better. And keep in mind the ''raw'' items are mere skeletons. They are just a graphical item with a name on it, and it's up to you to 'power it up'.

@Merkk, this means you can look at a lvl 15 orange item with no mods/armoring/enhancements/augments etc in it and that base armor is the base armor of all ur other items.

Edited by ShinjiruTenshi

Thanks for the reply. But either you misunderstood what i was asking, or i am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Lets say i see armor mod X available to buy for my robe. Lets say i also see a non-modable robe for sale. How can i tell which will have the higher armor? My orange robe with mod X in it, or the non-modable robe?

Thanks for the reply. But either you misunderstood what i was asking, or i am misunderstanding what you are saying.

Lets say i see armor mod X available to buy for my robe. Lets say i also see a non-modable robe for sale. How can i tell which will have the higher armor? My orange robe with mod X in it, or the non-modable robe?

Well I tried to explain it's the same for all orange items of the same type (Light, medium or heavy). So for example you could buy/find a low lvl orange item, take all the mods out (wont cost more than a couple thousand credits, can get that in like 5 minutes). Then you see the base armor and then u can compare it with the non modable item?

Well I tried to explain it's the same for all orange items of the same type (Light, medium or heavy). So for example you could buy/find a low lvl orange item, take all the mods out (wont cost more than a couple thousand credits, can get that in like 5 minutes). Then you see the base armor and then u can compare it with the non modable item?

I think what he means is -

He has orange robe X with no mods in it, so can see the very basic armour value for this piece (say 25)

Armouring mod Y is for sale, detailing an armour rank (e.g. rank 30)

Non-modifiable robe Z is for sale, displaying its proper armour value (say 210)

How can he calculate the value of X + Y in order to compare it to Z?

E.g. Say the rank 30 piece above provides 300 armour value

25 + 300 = 325, so he would be better buying the mod than the new robe.

(Disclaimer - These numbers are completely made up just for example purposes)

He has orange robe X with no mods in it, so can see the very basic armour value for this piece (say 25)

Exactly! My question as well.

don't think there is a way to compare a mod for armour value against another item without actually buying it and putting it into the orange item you've got. you could work out whatever multipliers are being used to calc the armour value that way/

guess whoever makes a smartphone app will make a quick buck.

Edited by Mookoo

I really think a lot of the info floating around is wrong. I have about 10 different 'heavy armor' chest items in my cargo hold, and no matter which one of them I put a armor mod in, the armor value comes out the same. So if I use a 70 rating mod and it has 395 armor, it has that same 395 no matter what I put it in. (70/395 just an example not necessarily the actual number for a 70 mod)

don't think there is a way to compare a mod for armour value against another item without actually buying it and putting it into the orange item you've got. you could work out whatever multipliers are being used to calc the armour value that way/

guess whoever makes a smartphone app will make a quick buck.

All gear show both rating AND armor/damage. Any piece of armor will tell you the armor value as well as the armor rating for that piece. At this point the only way to tell the exact amount of armor you will get from a mod is to look at unmodded armor, of the same type you use, with the same rating as the mod you're thinking of using. Also, if the mod is going to go into a chest piece, make sure you are looking at unmodded chest pieces.

It really shouldn't be as complicated as the min/maxers out there are making it seem to be.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Thanks!

Can anyone confirm how orange gear gets its armor value?

From what I can tell it appears to be derived not just from the armor rating but also from the intrinsic armor "class" of the gear. For instance, since the Elegant Dress is a "light" armor class (requires light armor proficiency to use), it seems that for any given armor rating you mod it to, the armor value is the same as what you would see on a light armor chest piece of equal rating. This is substantially less than the armor you see at the same rating on a medium or heavy piece.

I just want to make sure this is accurate, since it seems to unfortunately limit the custom armor options for a heavy armor using class -- no tanking in an Elegant Dress for me I guess :(

Nope social stuff does not get an armor rating ... I think I remember the devs saying this was intentional

In this scenario, value X (the armor on an unmodified piece of orange gear) is meaningless. You can entirely ignore any number you see on an unmodified piece of orange gear. The armor value of an orange will always be whatever the armoring mod gives it.

Also, Z (the non-modifiable robe) will list an armor rating, not just an armor value, making it easy to compare to Y (the armoring mod)

It really isn't as complicated as people seem to be trying to make it. Just look at the armor rating. Higher? Higher armor. Lower? Lower armor. (And just to be clear: this only applies when comparing gear of the same type.)

My question appears slightly different than those previously asked. I'm wondering if orange armor is to be considered "special" in that it doesn't matter at what level you acquire it, you can use it forever, as long as you upgrade the mods?

Example:

I get a orange chest piece at level 1, another at level 30 and one more at level 50.

Does this mean I can use that level 1 orange chest piece at level 50, as long as I put level 50 mods in it??

In other words, the orange armor basically becomes a decision of appearance and nothing else. That is really the only difference as you level?

I've been selling my oranges as I "outgrow" them. If I came a long a blue or green that had significantly higher stats, I'd go with it. I had no issues doing this because I haven't found one orange I like the appearance of yet, on my level 29 Imperial Agent(sniper).

Now I'm wondering, if I should have paid more attention to the appearance. Maybe I should have kept an older orange in the bank. Appearance matters to me. If I can look good AND have decent stats, I'M HAPPY!

I hate wearing ugly armor with better stats.

Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

To bad that the orange SocialTrader-Armors like the CE Sith-Trooper Armor dont work this way ... they're only 'suitable' for Sith-Inquisitors or Jedi-Consular. There's no Heavy Armor version or between Light and Heavy.

Will you change this one day by putting the other Armor Types of the same items inGame .. or am I supposed to lose combat as an Imperial-Agent by wearing a Sith-Trooper Armor?

Look at this comparison:

1. Xonolith-Gloves

http://imageshack.us/f/39/screenshot2011123002525.jpg/ Middle-Type Armor - 10 (Value 6)

1a. Sith-Trooper Armor Gloves:

http://imageshack.us/f/692/screenshot2011123002530.jpg/ Light-Type Armor - 4 (Value 6)

2. Xonolith-Gloves with Armoring-Mod:

http://imageshack.us/f/42/screenshot2011123002541.jpg/ Middle-Type Armor - 229 (Value 80)

2a. Sith-Trooper Armor Gloves with Armoring-Mod:

(no screenshot, sorry im in a hurry) Middle-Type Armor - 161 (Value 80)

This is really disappointing ......... please put other armor-type versions to the social-trader armors! You actually wanted these armors to be usable by all classes but unlike the Sith-Inqui or Jedi-Consular, other classes suffer from this 'handicap' by wearing an armor-type they usually dont use.

You have to compare the rating value of the unmoddable robe and the rating value of the mod, the higher wins.

I'd like to have the formula explained too, but I can confirm once you put an armoring mod with a rating of X into a moddable armor you get exactly the same armor than using an armor with that same rating in the first place.

What would help would be knowing what kind of multiplier is used to determine the armor rating. The value of the piece of modification doesn't equal the end result of armor so what multiplier is applied and does it change as the gear increases in level?

For example:

Orange chest piece. I added a lvl 13 armor mod which is Armor rating 80 and the chest piece now shows 490 armor. How do you go from armor rating 80 on the modification to make the entire item 490? The multiplier there is 6.125 does that multiplier increase as the lvl of the base item increases? It's the same multiplier on the head/legs and chest piece but drops to 3.825 on the gloves.

Edited by ForevrNyt

For example:

Orange chest piece. I added a lvl 13 armor mod which is Armor rating 80 and the chest piece now shows 490 armor. How do you go from armor rating 80 on the modification to make the entire item 490?

For a straight up comparison of an unmoddable item, to an armor mod - ignore the armor value. The formula is based on the armor rating which both the unmoddable piece and the armor mod display upon examination. Compare the two armor rating values and the highest of the two will result in more armor value as well.

Ignore the formula behind the armor rating curtain.

The robe Z will have the rating value displayed next to the armor value. As well as the Armoring mod itself displays this very same rating value. Compare these and the one with higher rating will have higher armor value as well.

(as long as it's same type of armor, e.g light, medium, heavy)

Orange Armor gets it's armor value from the 'armoring' mod you slot in. If you exchange it for something better, the armor value increases along with the stats.

It's always the first mod in the list that determines the intrinsic properties of the orange items (e.g. armoring on armor, barrel on guns, etc.)

Hope that helps.

And what about PvP & Operation armour with set bonuses that cannot have the armouring removed? You've basically made the whole mod system irrelevant by doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope that helps.

I see a lot of social item armor sets for sale on social vendors. Since these are all Light Armor, does that mean they can only be used effectively in combat by light armor users, and not medium/heavy users?

I see a lot of social item armor sets for sale on social vendors. Since these are all Light Armor, does that mean they can only be used effectively in combat by light armor users, and not medium/heavy users?

Right there, that's the one I want to know-- is there any social armor that is medium or heavy? Because any class can use the social oranges, but it seems like only a JC/SI ever would.

I did some testing tonight with cheap mods, the Civilian Pilot Suit (Social Light Armor) and Deadeye's Prototype Jacket (Orange Medium Armor)

Here are my results, using Skill Mod (X), and the mods I had materials onhand to make.

Mod/Light Armor Value/Medium Armor Value
2	58	91
3	70	109
4	83	127
5	97	146
6	111	166
7	125	186
8	140	206
9	154	226
12	201	290

Putting that into a spreadsheet and averaging, Light armor has 66.58% the armor that Medium does.

I don't have access to Orange Heavy that I can mod at this point, but I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that the Medium to Heavy is around the same.

If that speculation is true (and the 'numerical gap' between Light to Medium is constant between Medium and Heavy), that means that Light armor is worth roughly HALF (49.93% is what the spreadsheet spit out) the armor that Heavy is, for a given mod.

Are we moving in the right direction to answer the question definitively?