Inconsistencies In Dark and Light

Star-ranger

Plenty of the light side options for Imperials have nothing to do with Yin/Yan, Black/White, Good v Evil, philosophy or the Force. You're rewarded simply for assisting the empire. Assisting Nekghouls helped empire via depriving the Republic of a potential ally. BT is the same way. Light side choice is him getting tortured not because you're preserving life but because the Empire wants to torture him and learn whatever bit info they can.

Very stupid I know. As a light side Sith Inquisitor my storyline should be about not caring about or even actively changing/demolishing the Empire from within. Earlier quests supported this idea.

I even get the option to say I'd like to defect at the end of a quest chain on Balmorra(can't remember if it was general or class quest)

. By Tatooine, "Its long live the Empire". Hopefully any expansions have a more cohesive story experience.

Edited by Ryuksgelus

• 3 weeks later...
Ok about 3/4s of that is a rant that I couldn't get anything worth responding to(might be something in there, but I missed it), so I'll just respond what appears to be the central issue.

The Jedi lovers quest isn't about "doing your duty" or anything like that. The quest is about the potential pitfall that emotions can have when you have a strong connection to the force. The girl in this quest is pretty clearly on the first steps towards falling to the dark side as a result of the relationship. Keeping the relationship secret is asically ensuring she doesn't get the help she needs to not fall to the dark side.

The soldier quest is about something else entirely. In that quest the soldiers have basically been forced into a death sentence with no way out. They were only supposed to be there for I think a year, and I beleive they had ben there for three with no sign they were ever leaving. One can certainyl argue about whether they took the proper way to get out of that situation, but they had certainly done far beyond their duty should of requried them to. Also no one at the base they were from ever mentioned being low on supplies, so it doesn't seem that their decision had any immediate adverse impact on anyone.

You clearly do not understand the duties and obligations of a soldier. You also don't seem to understand the true implications of those soldiers actions. First off, it is their duty to follow orders, regardless of the order itself or the situation it puts them in. I have multiple friends and family members who've served in Iraq and Afghanistan, that despite having profound internal objections to an order they received, they followed them anyway. In the words of Kipling, "it's not theirs to wonder why, it's theirs to do and die". I've seen the words of that specific poem played out many times. Secondly, in a combat outpost in Afghanistan, if 10 guys left a position and went AWOL, they would be abandoning an already undermanned outpost, leaving their friends to the dangers of being over run by Taliban forces. The same is applicable in the in-game situation. Those men were guilty of dereliction of duty. It should be noted I am not yet a soldier, I matriculate into the citadel this coming fall to pursue my commsion. However I have many personal friends and close family members who are all combat veterans with their "C I Been there" badges. In the marines and army respectively. I grew up, was surrounded by, and inundated with military culture as my father was a career military man as well. I only wish to remedy your understanding of the situation, as many civilians are ignorant in the many facets of military life.

Anyways, thanks for listening.

BT is the same way. Light side choice is him getting tortured not because you're preserving life but because the Empire wants to torture him and learn whatever bit info they can.

Very stupid I know.

I always felt that it was Dark Side to kill the General because you're giving in to lust for killing, and Light Side is because you're resisting the Dark Side and thinking about your choice.

It should go without saying, I think, that the 'tone' of LS/DS choices for the Empire are very different to the Republic's. The Republic's feel more external, while the Empire's seem more internal.

For the Republic, it's about resisting the urge to do Dark things and respecting people, mostly.

For the Empire, the Dark Side already dominates your destiny. The choices you have are either letting it completely rule you, or trying to keep your head.

Consider this one as a moral quandary:

At one point (I won't say where to avoid spoilers, other than that it's an imperial quest), you are supposed to either capture or kill an enemy "agent". The Light side option is Capture.

Consider further - if you capture this person, they are going to be interrogated in a way that makes waterboarding look like a fun day out at the beach. Yet it is considered the lighter side option (and gives light side points) than killing the person (basically a merciful, quick death) is the dark side option.

Now, I know that this is Star Wars, and that there is no real grey area in the morality, so BW have gone for murder == bad, therefore dark side, but in this instance? You're doing the person a favour by killing them!