If Bioware made a new class?

Jennkko

I just wanted to see what people's views and ideas are if Bioware were to bring out a new class, what do you think it should be and why?

I always though they could bring back the Echani for rep and impirial guard for empire. They could be the first non force using close combat with swords and staves class.

For those of you who like going off on one saying it will never happen, it's not the point. It's just fun to throw ideas out there and see what people come up with...

Edited by Jennkko

There's no role that isn't already covered by the existing classes.

BW isn't going to invest the time to make a new class, which would require two new advanced classes with three disciplines each, faction mirrors, and new core story content so that those classes have something to do from Lv 1-50.

There's at least 1 new thread every week about this. it's not hapening. It doesn't need to happen. Let it go.

Edited by MorseGod

I would like to see a DPS support class.

Currently we have DPS, heal and tank. Technically speaking, heal and tank are support class. Heal provide support (to DPS) by providing heal. Tank provide support (to DPS) by providing protection (taunting mob and absorbing damage). The missing link is the support class to provide DPS.

Such DPS support class is not new in MMO. You can see them in other MMO. DPS support class don't necessarily do their main damage directly in a close hand-to-hand fight. They provide various means to deal damage and support the DPS. For example, DPS support class can deploy Turrets (which can be heal, tank or DPS turrets) or Signal Amplifier (for want of a better word) (which can provide boost to DPS spec for example +500 to mastery, crit etc etc).

Turrets and signal amplifiers are AOE-based which means they are only effective within a radius. For non-AOE ability, DPS support class can lay mines (various kind of mines which you can see implemented in GSF) and booby-trap (which may not deal direct dmg like mines but stun, slow or freeze-in-place enemy for extended period of time or indefinitely till their friend come to disarm the trap).

To make DPS support class viable and needed as a necessary member besides healer and tank, those turrets/signal amplifier/booby trap deployed by enemy must have a very high HP similar to operation boss that make it very difficult for heal/tank/dps player to take down. ONLY other DPS support class can easily disarm/dismantle such turrets/signal amplifier/booby trap with ease without needing to damage such infra in order to eliminate them. This alone make DPS support class a much needed member of every team.

DPS support class can have stealth in order to make them deploy their infra more effectively.

Outside of PvP, to help DPS support class in PvE and leveling. DPS support class can have 2 companions active at the same time (which each can be independently spec to heal/tank/dps) so you can have a Support (plus heal and dps comp) for a well rounded play. To balance off, each of the 2 companions will only be half effective so in total, the effect will be only 1 companions but playing dual role.

What do you think?

I just wanted to see what people's views and ideas are if Bioware were to bring out a new class, what do you think it should be and why?

I always though they could bring back the Echani for rep and impirial guard for empire. They could be the first non force using close combat with swords and staves class.

views are besides the point, Bioware doesn't have the resource to create a new class and i doubt EA will simply give them the time of day on the issue. So unless you are hiding a few million dollars that you'd wish to contribute to Bioware to get this new class going? otherwise, the closest we will get to a new class are new storylines like Onslaught.

views are besides the point, Bioware doesn't have the resource to create a new class and i doubt EA will simply give them the time of day on the issue. So unless you are hiding a few million dollars that you'd wish to contribute to Bioware to get this new class going? otherwise, the closest we will get to a new class are new storylines like Onslaught.

There are totally 2 separate issues here: One is idea, the other is feasibility of idea and whether there is a will or resource to implement it. Let keep it separate.

This thread if I may assume is talking about idea. Just because it may be infeasible and not implemented does not mean it cannot be discussed.

SWTOR has so far in recent past only introduce NEW CONTENT. I see few to none NEW PLAY. New play to me is not just another new FP, new Operation, New storyline, New PvP match etc. Those are new content to me rather than new play. A new class will be a new play. GSF when first introduced is a new play. Subsequent new addition of new map is just new content and not new play.

We need new play. And if you really think hard about it and trace it to the root, we really need surprises (pleasant surprises from BW). Pleasant SURPRISES is what is needed in this game at this stage and not just NEW CONTENT. i would luv to be surprised pleasantly by what BW may deliver in future even if the doomsayer say nay. HOPE is the word. HOPE is what keep the fire burning. When there is no HOPE, this game is finished. It is the concluding chapter of the whole storyline.

There are totally 2 separate issues here: One is idea, the other is feasibility of idea and whether there is a will or resource to implement it. Let keep it separate.

This thread if I may assume is talking about idea. Just because it may be infeasible and not implemented does not mean it cannot be discussed.

SWTOR has so far in recent past only introduce NEW CONTENT. I see few to none NEW PLAY. New play to me is not just another new FP, new Operation, New storyline, New PvP match etc. Those are new content to me rather than new play. A new class will be a new play. GSF when first introduced is a new play. Subsequent new addition of new map is just new content and not new play.

We need new play. And if you really think hard about it and trace it to the root, we really need surprises (pleasant surprises from BW). Pleasant SURPRISES is what is needed in this game at this stage and not just NEW CONTENT. i would luv to be surprised pleasantly by what BW may deliver in future even if the doomsayer say nay. HOPE is the word. HOPE is what keep the fire burning. When there is no HOPE, this game is finished. It is the concluding chapter of the whole storyline.

doesn't matter if it is an idea of how feeasable it is, the end result is the same: it isn't going to happen.

Just to be clear before someone misinterprits my point of view (like it did yesterday on another thread): I'd like to see SWTOR go places nice as well.

DPS support class don't necessarily do their main damage directly in a close hand-to-hand fight.

That's OK, DPS classes don't necessarily "do their main damage directly in a close hand-to-hand fight" either. Ranged-DPS is a thing. Heck, even if you consider that non-Force classes are invalid in Star Wars, there are still ranged-DPS classes in SWTOR (Sorc, Sage).

Many years ago i got into a debate with a moderator at the now defunct Lucasarts Star Wars forums. The debate revolved around a new trilogy starting after episode VI. He/She was adamant that it was never going to happen and, in the end, ended up giving me a couple of weeks off from the forums to ponder how wrong I apparently was about the prospect. Of course i continued offering my thoughts whenever anyone poised the question, but eventually stopped posting there when i moved off of SWG. When i heard the announcement I immediately went back to the forums (which were still up), found the email that the moderator sent me (after spending a few months figuring out my password) and told them i looked forward to seeing them at the premier.

So, with that said, i encourage the OP to continue on with their thoughts on a new class even if it never happens there is never any harm into coming up with ideas. Who knows, the idea may be well enough that the powers that be will thing...hmm, you know, that is a good idea and will push it through.

I always thought that a good addition to the game would be the inclusion of a Sith Trooper and a Republic Regulator (BH); and a Sith smuggler and a Republic spy/sniper.

That's OK, DPS classes don't necessarily "do their main damage directly in a close hand-to-hand fight" either. Ranged-DPS is a thing. Heck, even if you consider that non-Force classes are invalid in Star Wars, there are still ranged-DPS classes in SWTOR (Sorc, Sage).

I should not have included the phrase "close hand-to-hand fight". This lead to misinterpretation. I should have just state "DPS classes don't necessarily do their main damage directly" instead. My bad.

What I meant is DPS support class dealt their damage via a proxy (turrets, mine, booby trap etc). Their MAIN damage don't come out of a pistol, lightsaber or hand (lightning for e.g.). Those proxy are 'passive' damage dealer that strike enemies on proximity (even when the players are not near the enemy).

The value of such mechanism is also to offer a balance sort-of in PvP. In PvP, no matter how balance you are in terms of class ability damages, it is HUGELY mitigated by the varying lag between different players. Players who are on high lag due to geographical distance (E.g. 300 ms) vs players with low lag (e.g 30 ms) is already a huge imbalance no matter what. By offering such damage via proxy mechanism it will mitigate the imbalance between player with varying lag. This is one of the important value and purpose for such suggesting such mechanism. Someone in BW is already well aware of such consideration and you see the same philosophy being implemented already in GSF. Why not export the SAME DESIGN IDEA out of GSF into PvP/PvE.

Many years ago i got into a debate with a moderator at the now defunct Lucasarts Star Wars forums. The debate revolved around a new trilogy starting after episode VI. He/She was adamant that it was never going to happen and, in the end, ended up giving me a couple of weeks off from the forums to ponder how wrong I apparently was about the prospect. Of course i continued offering my thoughts whenever anyone poised the question, but eventually stopped posting there when i moved off of SWG. When i heard the announcement I immediately went back to the forums (which were still up), found the email that the moderator sent me (after spending a few months figuring out my password) and told them i looked forward to seeing them at the premier.

The difference is that George Lucas and Mark Hamill both confirmed that a sequel trilogy was George's original plan so getting that by whatever means was always a possibility. BioWare has flat out said multiple times (especially in streams when the question has been asked in chat) that a new class isn't going to happen, so I don't know why we have to see a new thread about new classes literally every week on the main discussion forum. Like someone else said, post it in the suggestion forum. The most we'll ever get are new ways to customize and build the existing classes, which is exactly what they're doing with the tactical system (ESO trait system) in 6.0.

The difference is that George Lucas and Mark Hamill both confirmed that a sequel trilogy was George's original plan so getting that by whatever means was always a possibility. BioWare has flat out said multiple times (especially in streams when the question has been asked in chat) that a new class isn't going to happen, so I don't know why we have to see a new thread about new classes literally every week on the main discussion forum. Like someone else said, post it in the suggestion forum. The most we'll ever get are new ways to customize and build the existing classes, which is exactly what they're doing with the tactical system (ESO trait system) in 6.0.

Well, going by your logic people ought not post about anything to improve the game seeing nothing we ever ask for happens.

People post out of boredom, for fun, to express thoughts, etc. People post their ideas for other reasons other than why you post obviously.

I could point out that you posting that others shouldn't post is redundant too, seeing people will continue to post about new classes, new races, and all kinds of other things that will never happen regardless of you disproving.

I still stand by my encouragement. regardless of circumstance or what was stated, folks who play WoW are now playing in classic servers; the new trilogy did come out; and a good friend had two kids after stating for years that she was never having any. We dont know what the future will bring to us and I will certainly not discourage anyone from flexing their creative muscles by telling them, essentially, shut up and go away. Thats just plain rude. If you dont want to be a part of the discussion, then, by all means, go post in another thread.

Realistically, new classes are never going to be introduced into SWTOR.

It's not that I think it "can't" happen, but I'm saying it "won't". Introducing new classes would be a major undertaking. If they were going to do that, they may as well replace the engine, fix all the bugs, and basically start all over with SWTOR 2.0. That could possibly happen if SWTOR was to start to become more popular and the investment cost of upgrading the game would be do-able, but ....

Any way, on a lighter note, even though I think it won't happen, I would suggest that the easiest "new" classes to introduce would be Imperial Smuggler and Republic Bounty Hunter - they could use a lot of existing resources. Next to that would be Imperial Trooper and Republic Agent (like Theron).

Edited by JediQuaker

Well, going by your logic people ought not post about anything to improve the game seeing nothing we ever ask for happens.

People post out of boredom, for fun, to express thoughts, etc. People post their ideas for other reasons other than why you post obviously.

I could point out that you posting that others shouldn't post is redundant too, seeing people will continue to post about new classes, new races, and all kinds of other things that will never happen regardless of you disproving.

I get why people post, and I never said people shouldn't post. The point was there's no need to make a new thread on the same topic over and over each week (in the wrong forum too, mind you) like it's some brand new brilliant idea when they can post in the already-existing hundreds of threads about new classes that have existed since the game launched.

My own personal idea is one based on existing SWTOR lore that is scattered through out the game. IMO... that means that the "new class" is already well established.

The basis of the new class is FSNFU: Force Sensitive / Non Force User. It should be noted that I tried to cover as many aspects as possible: Lore, Empire as well as Republic characters(names for each of the subclasses ) etc...

Here is a link. It's found in the suggestion part of the forums.

http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179

I think the reason this topic comes up so much is that SWTOR is one of the only MMO's I can think of to date that hasn't had a single new class since it's launch and we are approaching a decade since the games release. Take almost every other MMO (both F2P and Sub) that's only been out for around half as long as SWTOR has and most of them sometimes double the amount of classes this game has to offer.

Not saying I don't understand them not wanting to take on the massive undertaking that comes with creating a new class+3 skills trees+balancing, but I can see why the topic comes up so often. Just my $0.02.

So, with that said, i encourage the OP to continue on with their thoughts on a new class even if it never happens there is never any harm into coming up with ideas. Who knows, the idea may be well enough that the powers that be will thing...hmm, you know, that is a good idea and will push it through.

I always thought that a good addition to the game would be the inclusion of a Sith Trooper and a Republic Regulator (BH); and a Sith smuggler and a Republic spy/sniper.

EA isn't Disney, so your example doesn't add anything.

and yet people don't use the search function while they are bored to find these threads. Frankly i'm not interested in the excuses you can find to not do the obvious, but when there are already threads out there about the same subject, it doesn't need yet another thread about the same subject.

Since you'll want me to prove my point with that stupid onus of proof nonsense, here:

here is one from last week:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=967526&highlight=class

another from one week and two days earlier:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179&highlight=class

one from a few months ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=965615&highlight=class

Not saying I don't understand them not wanting to take on the massive undertaking that comes with creating a new class+3 skills trees+balancing, but I can see why the topic comes up so often. Just my $0.02.

Don't forget that the cost is significantly more than you think:

* One new base class

* Two new advanced classes

* *Six* new Disciplines as part of the two new advanced classes

* Balancing.

* Much of the above doubled for animations, ability names, etc. because of Imp/Pub differences.

* Two new class stories with five new class companions and a new starter planet(1) and a new class ship(2) each (one Impside, one Pubside)

* Dialogue tweaks *everywhere* to account for the fact that e.g. an Imp Trooper shouldn't be called "My Lord" or "Hunter" or "Commander", but instead "Lieutenant", "Captain" etc.

Adding new advanced classes to existing base classes costs less because they can avoid building new stories / starter worlds / ships.

Adding a "Hero" class (starts at near max level) would be considered seriously lame, I think, because it would be story-deficient in a story-heavy MMORPG. Not really a good fit.

(1) Maybe. It might be possible to finagle the new class into Hutta or Korriban on the Impside, and Ord Mantell or Tython on the Pubside, but lots of the classes people ask for wouldn't fit in at least one of those. (An Imp Trooper doesn't belong on either Hutta or Korriban, for example.)

(2) Maybe. If the new class was a new type of Sith/Jedi, it's reasonable to assign it a Fury / Defender as appropriate, but that only saves on the ship design process - the layout of which companion goes where and so on would still require per-class work.

For those of you who like going off on one saying it will never happen, it's not the point. It's just fun to throw ideas out there and see what people come up with...

For everybody being disrespectful to the OP for his thread he didn't say he was trying to get them to add a class to the game. He was just starting a conversation to see what other people think would be cool additions to the universe. (Sorry if I am wrong here but I don't think I am) The OP was just looking to start a light conversation about SWTOR with people that like SWTOR in the GENERAL DISCUSSION forum. Sure he could have necroed somebody else's thread but you all would have given him the business for reviving a dead thread.

In keeping with what I think the original intent of the thread is...

I would have loved to see a Droid class. Droids in Star Wars are arguably some of the most loved characters. K-2SO from Rouge 1, R2 and C3PO, C1-10P from Rebels, HK-47 From KOTOR, HK-55, and the list goes on. They are resourceful, intelligent, adventurous and at times even funny.

I would almost say they would have to be a ranged class to be able to accommodate different models of droid. for instance instead of picking from 4 body types it is 4 chassis types, 1 battle droid, 1 light humanoid (like C3PO) 1 sturdy humanoid body (Like K-2SO) and 1 astromech .

I don't know how you would fit them in to the game but that wasn't the point of the thread it was just asking what class you would like to see.

(1) Maybe. It might be possible to finagle the new class into Hutta or Korriban on the Impside, and Ord Mantell or Tython on the Pubside, but lots of the classes people ask for wouldn't fit in at least one of those. (An Imp Trooper doesn't belong on either Hutta or Korriban, for example.)

See, I think you are wrong on this one. I think an imperial trooper on Korriban would work out great for the story of the planet. There are areas of Troopers all over the place starting with the first tomb. The mission giver said he sent in a crew that never came back from killing Klorslugs, there is that datapad in the lower wilds from a failed troop deployment. You just retcon a lone survivor (from a ton of bad deployments) into what is already there. It would even play into the concept of being guided by the force for a greater purpose.

EA isn't Disney, so your example doesn't add anything.

and yet people don't use the search function while they are bored to find these threads. Frankly i'm not interested in the excuses you can find to not do the obvious, but when there are already threads out there about the same subject, it doesn't need yet another thread about the same subject.

Since you'll want me to prove my point with that stupid onus of proof nonsense, here:

here is one from last week:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=967526&highlight=class

another from one week and two days earlier:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179&highlight=class

one from a few months ago:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=965615&highlight=class

No you got the wrong one here, I never ask for "proof" on the forums. One of the dumbest catchphrases I seen used here to minimalize what someone else writes. As if opinion doesn't count for anything.

I am just pointing out that poo-pooing people for asking questions or for posting ideas on the forums that will never materialize is just being a malcontent and venting internal unhappiness on others.