The Jedi Code

Triskelematt

When and where was the jedi code devolped? I'm not talking about storyline wise, i'm talking about real timeline. Re-watching the original movies I saw no reference to it or it's principles. In fact Obi Wan encourages Luke to trust his feelings and to follow his compasson. Throughout the films Luke gets angry on several occassions with no reprecussions. When tempted by the Emperor he is asked to embrace his hatred, to fully give into it. Not simply provoke emotions.

Being that Obi Wan was a member of the Old Republic and was subject to the training of the Jedi Order as well as his emotionless and boring mentor...Qui Gon Jinn (I had to look his name up being that he is so forgettable); you would think that Obi Wan would attempt to pass some of this 'wisdom' onto his student.

Luke then goes on to defeat the Empire and form his own Order, marry and have children.

It seems to me that the Jedi Code was developed much later after the original (and succesful) movies to make the Jedi.. more boring i suppose? That is the only purpose I can find in it. Jedi go from heroes who care for justice and the people to robots. "There is no emotion, there is peace"

I started a Jedi Consular because I like to play the good guy and the class mechanics fit my playstyle but I couldn't make it through the prologue. I was able to get through the emotionless dialogue up until the point where I was called to investigate two padawan who were dating. I couldn't take it anymore. Luke formed strong friendships, felt love (first romantically then brotherly to Leia) and eventually marriage without problem. Yet clearly this is the path to the dark side. The Jedi Code needs to go.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original code was this:

Emotion, yet peace.

Ignorance, yet knowledge.

Passion, yet serenity.

Chaos, yet harmony.

Death, yet the Force.

This code seems to make the most sense for the movies to use. But thats another story for another time. Pretty much the jedi code seeing as you want real life, is pretty much a mix of many religions put into one.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well, in the real world, Star Wars started out as just another space opera sci fi movie. Then it took off, and the universe has been fleshed out over the years.

In universe, you have to realize the Jedi are all but extinct by the time of A New Hope, and Luke starts his training very late. His teachers die off before they can instill much more than what was required to defeat Vader and the Emperor. Also, I think the Jedi code was part of what led to their downfall, in that they became complacent. Sith thrive on adversity, change and chaos, and became stronger for it, while the Jedi developed a superiority complex that left them stagnant, and ripe for the picking.

Maybe understanding the code is what more jedi need to do first instead of just thinkin the code says no emotion:

The Jedi Code, stated, removes the human element and shows what is left. Yet it does not say that is how one should act. It does not say Act with No Emotion. Instead it shows us the error in heedlessly following our human nature. Emotion clouds peace, ignorance overshadows knowledge, passion distorts serenity, chaos destroys harmony, death hides the Force. Now lets bring this all together and look at each line of the Jedi Code and how it exactly guides a Jedi in daily life.

There is no emotion; there is peace. A Jedi acts and reacts in a calm manner, not allowing the emotions they are feeling to cloud their judgment, reasoning, and objective.

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. A Jedi faces each new challenge with the opportunity to gain more knowledge. They do not fear the unknown, but take the chance to learn about the unknown.

There is no passion; there is serenity. A Jedi does not allow their passions in life to affect their judgment, reason, or objectives. A Jedi acts and reacts keeping a serene mind, unaffected by their personal desire.

There is no chaos; there is harmony. A Jedi seeks moderation and balance with all things. Even though life can be very chaotic a Jedi finds harmony with that chaos. Balance in the world around them, balance within themselves, the middle-ground in each situation, and even on a larger scale harmony between technology and nature.

And lastly there is no death; there is the Force. A Jedi understands that the Force is created and associated with life. Yet death is also a natural part of life. For a Jedi there is no fear of death. For death is merely one more unknown, another chance for the Jedi to gain knowledge about the Force itself.

They should actually strive for peace in any argument or hostile situation. They should have knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, with first hand experience, and seek to remove ignorance; personal or otherwise.

They have overcome chaos, and when met with it are able to find harmony in all things, all aspects of life

With regard to romance/marriage:

It is not forbidden, just restrictive in this time periold. Love/marriage a jedi can have provided:

1. They go to the council and discuss it and get permission

2. Have been able to prove that their relationship will not cause them to forget their duty and or responsbililty.

3. Able to accept that death may occur and in such circumstances they have to be able to handle the deah of their lover/spouse in such a way that they respect the Jedi Order and their spouse/love.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

I see your point Silvrus. If that is true then the Jedi are better off now without it.

As far as the explanation of the Jedi Code goes, it makes sense in theory but in practice every Jedi acts and talks as if they've just taken an Ambien. Both in this game and in the new movies. Makes it pretty difficult to get behind a character and their story if they display no emotion over whats going on around them.

I see your point Silvrus. If that is true then the Jedi are better off now without it.

As far as the explanation of the Jedi Code goes, it makes sense in theory but in practice every Jedi acts and talks as if they've just taken an Ambien. Both in this game and in the new movies. Makes it pretty difficult to get behind a character and their story if they display no emotion over whats going on around them.

I agree. Too much emphasis was placed on suppressing emotions that in the end it blinded the Jedi to the harsh realities of the galaxy.

The lovers explained it perfectly in that Jedi had come to fear "extreme" emotions such as love, which they then acted to eradicate out of fear it would lead to the Dark Side. In reality, it was that way of thinking that led to many of the conflicts that could have been prevented had they acted in the manner the Jedi Code originally stood for, and many Jedi fell to the Dark Side because they were pushed to it by the Jedi in general.

I agree.

So far I've only been playing as Sith and Empire classes, and every jedi that I've met so far makes me want to roll a Jedi less and less. They just seem so droning, emotionless, and completely indoctrinated.

Also they really don't seem to mind....well...felling upon my lightsaber when I defeat them. I find that, tenuous, grip on life a bit disconcerting. Sure my Sith is a bit crazy, but at least he can feel something, and he fights to the very end.

My question to those who rolled Jedi. Are the stories any good? Does your character have life and zeal? Do the other Jedi act somewhat normal, or like they just downed a bottle of Xanax?

Edited by JediElf

I agree.

So far I've only been playing as Sith and Empire classes, and every jedi that I've met so far makes me want to roll a Jedi less and less. They just seem so droning, emotionless, and completely indoctrinated.

Also they really don't seem to mind....well...felling upon my lightsaber when I defeat them. I find that, tenuous, grip on life a bit disconcerting. Sure my Sith is a bit crazy, but at least he can feel something, and he fights to the very end.

My question to those who rolled Jedi. Are the stories any good? Does your character have life and zeal? Do the other Jedi act somewhat normal, or like they just downed a bottle of Xanax?

They got life, and ya some of them are normal.

I agree.

I agree jedi I meet on the empire side seem so out of it and when I beat them in combat they are ready to fall on my lightsaber and I happily oblige them :csw_vader:

When playing the jedi knight the sith are a lot more characterful than the jedi that I am allied with.

I agree.

I haven't played an Imperial yet, so I don't have a comparison, but I have a Shadow and I play her according to my own compass, which strangely enough has me choosing Dark Side choices quite a bit as they just seem to make more sense in the context. I think the idea of Jedi in this game is conceptually a Paladin, in that the only thing that matters is the law.

There is an instance in which a politician is trying to denounce the Jedi in an effort to form an alliance with the Empire, and some free thinking Republic citizens want the evidence. The LS choice is to not take it, but instead give them outdated agricultural reports, while the DS choice is to expose him.

Personally, I prefer this code over the others...

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

The Je'Daii Oath from Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm

The Jedi code, followed to strictly, does tend to make people emotionless drones that forget what it means to be human. You definitely see this in some of the Empire stories. But there are also Jedi who do follow their emotions and intuitions (your masters for both the Knight and the Consular being one) without letting emotions rules them.

Sith on the other hand have a different problem where some are completely ruled by their emotions and can't think logically about a situation, which can make them sloppy in combat. A Sith who can control their emotions while still using them generally gets higher in the ranks.

I agree.

Yep... It's whatever you make your character. I've rolled both rep and sith, and imo the jedi knight campaign is the best...

Now tell me... How does it feel to murder a box of puppies for a few meager DS points? Seems to me every SITH I run into is an angry, spiteful sociopath whose hellbent on the destruction of the galaxy. Too bad you ALL are portrayed in this light on the rep. side. Hmmm... Maybe you arent superior... maybe BW just likes the extremes?

Personally, I prefer this code over the others...

There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.

There is no fear; there is power.

I am the heart of the Force.

I am the revealing fire of light.

I am the mystery of darkness

In balance with chaos and harmony,

Immortal in the Force.

The Je'Daii Oath from Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm

Same. I find importance in both sides of the Force.

This is why Jolee will always be my favourite Jedi. He had personality, didn't treat either sides of the Force like they're God's gift.

As an RPer on the republic side, I find it more fun as the trooper/smuggler. You still get stupid stereotypes, but most Jedi RPers I've hung around with have no character. They chuckle at lame jokes, use too much "...", use too many big words to try and sound smarter.. or maybe it's just me o.O

Meh, Jedi became less fun since the prequal trilogy.

Edit: If I hear someone say "indeed" one more time, I'll rip their throats out. This isn't Lord of the Rings :D

Edited by JJDunn

People misinterpret the code on the forums. The Jedi do not follow the code mindlessly. Nor do they forsake all emotions. Jedi laugh, they smile, they grow afraid, and they love. You can clearly see Yoda happy in the movies. You can see him get sad. You see him suffer when his fellow Jedi are being butchered. The Jedi code is a guide line. It isn't meant to be taken literal. The Jedi Code teaches to control your emotions. Not to let them control you. Make decisions off logic. Rather than emotion. A Jedi can feel emotion but not act off emotion.

The reason love is forbidden among the Jedi is because of the dangers involved. A Jedi with no attachments has it easier than one who's loved one was just murdered. People often quote Luke and say Luke didn't have these issues. He did. When Mara Jade died he reacted off of anger. He assumed Lumiya did it when he didn't. He found her and killed her. Luke didn't realize it was Jacen until awhile later. Luke almost fell over Mara's death. It also wasn't the first and only time he's nearly fallen due to his attachments. In the end, he over comes him but the risk is there and more Jedi fell than dealt with them in the very beginning and this is why it was forbidden.

Yep... It's whatever you make your character. I've rolled both rep and sith, and imo the jedi knight campaign is the best...

Now tell me... How does it feel to murder a box of puppies for a few meager DS points? Seems to me every SITH I run into is an angry, spiteful sociopath whose hellbent on the destruction of the galaxy. Too bad you ALL are portrayed in this light on the rep. side. Hmmm... Maybe you arent superior... maybe BW just likes the extremes?

Funny. I played through both SW and JK story arcs, and the same can be said of most Jedi the SW meets during his campaign. Nohmen Karr is a prime example. So hellbent on taking down Darth Baras that he betrays everything he believed in order to try and attain victory. For the record, my SW is 100% Lightside. NO DS points at all. I gave every single Jedi that wanted to fight a chance to surrender.

Now, the stand-out was Master Timmns on Belsavis. About the coolest, most laid back Jedi Master in the game. Fought alongside him to defeat the final class story boss on the planet, and even parted with a handshake.

Funny. I played through both SW and JK story arcs, and the same can be said of most Jedi the SW meets during his campaign. Nohmen Karr is a prime example. So hellbent on taking down Darth Baras that he betrays everything he believed in order to try and attain victory. For the record, my SW is 100% Lightside. NO DS points at all. I gave every single Jedi that wanted to fight a chance to surrender.

Now, the stand-out was Master Timmns on Belsavis. About the coolest, most laid back Jedi Master in the game. Fought alongside him to defeat the final class story boss on the planet, and even parted with a handshake.

What about that one Jedi that tries telling the other Jedi that you're different than most Sith and eventually walks away leaving the other Jedi to engage you while he has no part in it? He was neat too.

What about that one Jedi that tries telling the other Jedi that you're different than most Sith and eventually walks away leaving the other Jedi to engage you while he has no part in it? He was neat too.

That Jedi and Timmns were probably the only ones I liked. Me and Timmns parted in friendship after defeating You-Know-Who :)