Do the devs even play pvp?

TrixxieTriss

These articles are written by writers without ANY feedback from Combat Team. That was said by the Combat Team themselves.

They are clearly just meant to showcase the "cool" things you can do with new items. They are in no way relevant to what actually happens in the meta/game as a whole.

I understand some are being triggered but I think this is a reasonable explanation. ^

I mean it's like a game that has a picture on the outside that doesn't really represent the game 100%, say for instance a trooper is on the outside of the box holding a pistol or something, that happens all the time.

The difference here is the medium of art used... The box has an illustration while these scenarios are written... Still, it's the same thing, it's just a loose representation of class abilities in a fun-written manner.

They are just trying to showcase the ability in a way that makes people interested in it, and let's be honest 99% of the player's don't care if this written scenario isn't 100% sensible or accurate with how the abilities ought to be used. That's left up to the players in the game.

Don't be over-analytical, people. :rak_01:

What are you talking about. Solo Ranked on the PTS was swarming with Deception sins, and they were topping DPS in many games, with unbelievably high burst and double vanish. In regular WZs, the story was very similar. How did you ever get this idea? They were literally one of the strongest specs. So much so, I expect one of their set bonuses to be nerfed before 6.0 hits live, which will make them less broken, but still incredibly strong.

This. Sins are going to fine. Snipers were fine before and now they’re OP.

Also, being good at PvP is not a prerequisite to designing PvP.

Ya I call bull on that one. Tekken right now is regarded as the best 3D fighter atm and they go out of their way to have the top players help test and provide input into the game. Being compitant at the game you are working on should definitely be a prerequisite to designing any type of pvp game. If you don't know what you're doing then how should players expect to trust them to make the right decisions. Given how trash this games balancing is, it's safe to say that trust is zero because of that video which is proof that they should be seeking out the best players to help balance the game.

Being compitant at the game you are working on should definitely be a prerequisite to designing any type of pvp game.

But I see guys on Forged in Fire making all kinds of knives and blades yet the majority of them aren't weapons masters... I think it's possible to create something expertly without being an expert at using it.

This isn't to say there aren't advantages to being a dev with complete PVP knowledge of the game being designed but it's not really accurate to portray devs incompetent just because they are not master PVPers on the game they are designing.

But I see guys on Forged in Fire making all kinds of knives and blades yet the majority of them aren't weapons masters... I think it's possible to create something expertly without being an expert at using it.

This isn't to say there aren't advantages to being a dev with complete PVP knowledge of the game being designed but it's not really accurate to portray devs incompetent just because they are not master PVPers on the game they are designing.

That has to be the dumbest comparison I've ever seen.

crafting a tool and designing a sport aren't the same. the pvp team doesn't build the abilitys in pvp, they make the rules for it. A bunch of guys making swords for sword fights have nothing to do with the rules or usage. It is also worth pointing out that the basis of a perfect blade design is based on a weaponmaster testing many weapons for perfection. Which is missing in swtor pvp, they have no elite pvpers testing their classes... at least if they are, they don't listen or change anything.

That has to be the dumbest comparison I've ever seen.

Ok, how about MMA referees, I guess they ought to hold black belts in all martial arts to properly referee an MMA fight then, right? Oh, no that's right they don't.

People can be in positions of judgment and not have any practical experience doing what they judge. It's just a fact of life, lol. I mean we can debate this, but sorry this is how real life works, guys.

Which is missing in swtor pvp, they have no elite pvpers testing their classes... at least if they are, they don't listen or change anything.

I agree on this point, BW would benefit greatly by having extraordinarily skilled PVPers to test class abilities out for them. That's still not proof that PVP game design cannot be created by someone not an expert at PVP.

Edited by Lhancelot

Again... MMA refs don't make the rules, they enforce them. Someone else who knows how to MMA made the rules and employed the refs with enough knowhow to enforce his say so.

You keep using "judges" in a literal sense... but the devs don't "judge" they literal design and create pvp. sword makers don't make swordplay and refs don't make up sports...

Edited by Seterade

Again... MMA refs don't make the rules, they enforce them. Someone else who knows how to MMA made the rules and employed the refs with enough knowhow to enforce his say so.

Ok, how about changes to the NFL rules? Sure, they counsel with players for input, but the changes done to the game are ultimately developed and designed by people not playing the sport.

I'm not personaly a football player, so not my field of expertise but I know that almost all coachs and board members have at one time played the game, seriously or casualy. So by association I would wager, yes in fact, the rules of the NFL are in fact dictated by the players.

Disclaimer: not the safety stuff.... just the game play.

Fact is a developer can create a game's PVP without playing the game. Obviously this means they need to get their feedback and input from those who do, then. How are you guys even arguing about this, lol.

cuz they dont listen. I am merely pointing out things I came to terms with near the end of 4.0, I am no longer optimistic that change will ever happen. but hey, surprise me bioware :)

Edited by Seterade

If you’ve read the patch notes today, you’ll probably notice that all the best gear you’ll probably want for pvp requires doing operations.

Some of the gear that drops in the operations won’t even be that useful for people playing operations :rolleyes:

So much for “play your way”

I know there is a chance gear will drop from other locations and you can always buy from the vendor (for most of it), but what are the drop percentages for playing specific content to get specific gear.

Will people who play operations have a 50% higher chance to get the better items we want for pvp?

I’ve started a thread in the gen section to ask Bioware what the percentage chances are. Please feel free to add your thoughts in the thread. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=969554

Ok, how about MMA referees, I guess they ought to hold black belts in all martial arts to properly referee an MMA fight then, right? Oh, no that's right they don't.

Yet again, that is a really dumb comparison.

The developers are the designers of the game. They are in control of the balance of the game. To know how to balance said game they should know how to play it. No one expects them to be pros, but they should know what they are doing. Based on the video and the recent blogs on top of things like the marauder set where they think its a good idea to die blade rush and force camo together and plop a slow on it? Are you kidding me? No, these devs are clueless when it comes to pvp.

If they had ANY sense they would do what other dev studios do and actually bring in top players into the studio and work on pvp with them, because the devs are absolutely clueless and need help.

Ok, how about changes to the NFL rules? Sure, they counsel with players for input, but the changes done to the game are ultimately developed and designed by people not playing the sport.

NFL rules are voted on by league members who many are coaches....most coaches are past players or just straight up extremely knowledgeable of the game. BW has shown neither skill or knowledge of the classes and has ignored feedback from good players for years.

Edited by Raansu

What are you talking about. Solo Ranked on the PTS was swarming with Deception sins' date=' and they were topping DPS in many games, with unbelievably high burst and double vanish. In regular WZs, the story was very similar. How did you ever get this idea? They were literally one of the strongest specs. So much so, I expect one of their set bonuses to be nerfed before 6.0 hits live, which will make them less broken, but still incredibly strong.[/quote']

This. Sins are going to fine. Snipers were fine before and now they’re OP.

HAHAHAHA I just read this and had a good chuckle. Any half decent sniper, merc, con op, leth op, or sorc can 1v1 a dec sin and destroy him. There will always be skill imbalances but sins are like bottom of the meta, barely ahead of jugg and pt dps. should be interesting to see how 6.0 changes that. krea says they can 1v1 hlrs.

Edited by Seterade

krea says they can 1v1 hlrs.

I don't know about sins being viable. I've read lots of different opinions about that. But about 1v1 healers... I don't think that's necessarily because decipti-sins are suddenly god mode. From my understanding, it's because healers got a big nerf. I think people are saying that you can insert "'any class' can now 1v1 healers"? I don't know if that's true (next few days will tell I guess), but any time I've read about healers being potentially in trouble now, it's always in context of healer nerfs. Not in context of some dps improvements.

HAHAHAHA I just read this and had a good chuckle. Any half decent sniper, merc, con op, leth op, or sorc can 1v1 a dec sin and destroy him. There will always be skill imbalances but sins are like bottom of the meta, barely ahead of jugg and pt dps. should be interesting to see how 6.0 changes that. krea says they can 1v1 hlrs.

This is a gross exaggeration. Sins have not been that bad in 5.0. They are well above jugg and pt dps. Also, madness sorcs cannot 1v1 a deception sin of equal skill. For lightning it's doable but by no means guaranteed. Especially because if the sin stalls until acid, they should ultimately win.

Edited by JediMasterAlex