Operative or Mercenary

Coopah

Not really "new" to swtor but im wondering which of these two is easier to lvl to 55, and to play in pvp, or in pve. Basically the overall better of the two. i know its an over-asked question but just give your opinion and reason, any tips on the class would help.

EDIT: I intend on playing both of them at some point id like to know which would make it easier to get acclimated to endgame content when i reach it

Edited by Coopah

I cannot speak to PvP or level capped PvE, but I am leveling both at the moment (44 / 20).

My operative was my first, highest, and favorite character right now. I started leveling for the story as Imp Agent was supposedly the best for the majority of the playerbase. Somewhat regretted going operative at first as I wanted to crouch for cover and snipe from a distance. However, I know longer regret that. I can solo most heroic +2 within a level or two, and have even solo'd a heroic +4 thanks to stealth, CC, stuns, and cloak screen (vanish). It is primarily a rogue class however.

I recently picked up the mercenary as I wanted to play the dual pistol wielding smuggler seen in the opening cinematic. Sadly he doesn't exist as gunslingers are meant to hide behind cover. However, the mercenary carries two pistols and with adaptive gear, I should be able to get the look. Plus I am liking the commando trooper playstyle so far.

EDIT: Oh, and I am enjoying the idea of the great hunt, though I just started Ch 1 and heard it is the only good chapter.

Edited by Kurzaa

Which one is preferred solo leveling? because i am leveling a different character with a friend, i just want to keep that one near his lvl and have something to play while he is not on and can solo quest well, i guess if i had a prefference between pve/pvp i would say pvp, if that makes the decision easier at all.

Operative PvP healers are generally thought to be overpower overpowered right now. They're beyond easy to play and make your team almost unkillable. DPS operatives are the opposite.

Mercs are decent DPS right now, good burst which is really nice on PvP. But they're the lowest regarded of the healer's.

For levelling, Operative. No contest in my opinion. Both can heal, but Operative has stealth and also a tank companion right at the start.

I only have about 180 bonus presence from previously completed characters and I can solo right through Balmorra with relative ease, including heroics. I think I only had one at the end that I did not bother completing as I already did it for the Achievement.

DPS operative is really hard to play now. Some people can make it work but you have to be a master of the class. If you're going to play PvP with an operative right now you'll be a healer. They need to nerf the healer slightly and buff the DPS a bit.

Merc is basically the opposite; solid DPS, kinda weak healer. I hope they buff the Merc healer a little bit. DPS is good but if they make it easier to play it can risk becoming the next OP class.

So are you saying for healing go operative, and for DPS for Merc? and what is wrong with merc healing?

Heat management. In long fights, you'll need lots of healing. You build up more and more heat with no time to cool down. You will eventually be left unable to heal for long periods of time and you'll basically be dead weight to your team. Operatives don't have this problem because surgical probe costs no energy to cast. It only uses a stack of "tactical advantage" which they get from using other techniques. When a target is below 30% HP, they also get to use surgical probe without using up a stack of TA. This gives them crazy high survival rates because they'll just start running behind objects and spamming SP once you get them into that below 30% range. On top of all of this, operatives also get stealth which often means that you can't always fight them on your own terms.

So for healing, operative is the best. If you want DPS, go mercenary. Remember that mercenary is an entirely long ranged class while operative DPS is melee range. Operative DPS is all about poisons and knives even though you use a rifle.

Edited by HaoZhao

Ok, so would u say that a Op is better at dpsing than a Merc is at healing? The heat thing makes soo much sense btw dont know how i didnt think of that

That is hard to say. Both are basically bottom of the barrel in those roles.

Ok, so would u say that a Op is better at dpsing than a Merc is at healing? The heat thing makes soo much sense btw dont know how i didnt think of that

No. Operative DPS is a combination of two weaknesses. Low DPS and short range. If you want a stealth, melee character, you may well go assassin. Mercenary healing may be the worst of the three healing classes, but it's still ranged and has a lot of fun toys like jet boost and infamous electro net. Operative DPS is too squishy and relatively too weak to be viable in the hands of anyone except for the absolute masters of the class. I don't recommend it.

No. Operative DPS is a combination of two weaknesses. Low DPS and short range. If you want a stealth, melee character, you may well go assassin. Mercenary healing may be the worst of the three healing classes, but it's still ranged and has a lot of fun toys like jet boost and infamous electro net. Operative DPS is too squishy and relatively too weak to be viable in the hands of anyone except for the absolute masters of the class. I don't recommend it.

Your post's second sentence implies that short range damage is weak in general. If that's the case, why are Marauders and Sentinels considered the best DPS classes in the game? They both work exclusively at short range.

Your post's second sentence implies that short range damage is weak in general. If that's the case, why are Marauders and Sentinels considered the best DPS classes in the game? They both work exclusively at short range.

Because they have strengths to make up for that weakness. If you asked me if I would like to play a marauder with all of its attacks upped to 30 metre range, my answer would be yes. There's a reason why two marauders won't charge two snipers in cover. Range matters.